Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half

Should I get Georgia or Thunderer?

31 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
35 posts
2,756 battles

I'm currently around 50k coal away from getting Georgia and Thunderer. I know that Georgia has more exciting game play with speed and secondaries. However, I already have a full secondary Bismarck for this role and I find it quite fun, I don't yet have a heavy hitting long range BB like the Thunderer. As of right now, I have a tank build 19 pt captain for my Monty so I could put it on the Georgia (no secondary skills though). I have a 12 pt Jack Dunkirk (or 17 pt CV captain which I can respec) which I can put on the Thunderer. In my opinion, the Thunderer looks better than the Georgia and it would diversify my tier X BBs to other nations. What are your opinions on the Thunderer and Georgia? I may be leaning slightly towards the Thunderer but I want to know if playing the ship is an enjoyable experience.

Update: I have decided that I will get the georgia.

Edited by Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,137 posts
14,811 battles

I dont think you can wrong with either of those ships. You seem to understand the basic differences of their recommended gameplay/game style.

I have both and immensely enjoy playing both. The GA is, if spec'd, is a mach 3, secondary joy. The Thunderer is more of your traditional BB, with excellent main battery armament, both HE and AP. I mostly use AP on it though, it has better AP than most of the other tech tree RN BBs. Both can be squishy. 

Edited by Rollingonit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
253
[IROCZ]
Banned
301 posts
25,880 battles

Get the Thunderer

Then go find the ac/dc tune Thunderstruck, turn it up real loud and play the Thunderer !!

Or go get Rocky III  and watch Clubber Lang pulverize Rocky !!

 

Panama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
12,613 posts
14,320 battles

Go for Thunderer first since with Wargaming’s track record and how popular Thunderer has been, would not surprise me in the least to see he removed from sale in the coming months. 

Georgia has not been quite as numerous so it’s a safer bet to be able to wait on that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
420
[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,604 posts
23,077 battles

Georgia, I got Thunderer and regretting my choice. 

YMMV 

  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
514
[VORTX]
Members
660 posts
8,331 battles
24 minutes ago, Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half said:

I'm currently around 50k coal away from getting Georgia and Thunderer. I know that Georgia has more exciting game play with speed and secondaries. However, I already have a full secondary Bismarck for this role and I find it quite fun, I don't yet have a heavy hitting long range BB like the Thunderer. As of right now, I have a tank build 19 pt captain for my Monty so I could put it on the Georgia (no secondary skills though). I have a 12 pt Jack Dunkirk (or 17 pt CV captain which I can respec) which I can put on the Thunderer. In my opinion, the Thunderer looks better than the Georgia and it would diversify my tier X BBs to other nations. What are your opinions on the Thunderer and Georgia? I may be leaning slightly towards the Thunderer but I want to know if playing the ship is an enjoyable experience.

I recently had this same debate. I went with Georgia and am very happy with it.

Play style was my main contributor. I like to play aggressive, fast ships and G fits the bill perfectly. Fragile hull but the guns hit crazy hard and have a fast reload. Secondaries are fantastic for when I get closer and against DD. I do no intentionally brawl a german or soviet BB and of course avoid the delicate broadside whenever possible. I am also still working through my US BB line, so she is useful as a trainer (I have a hybrid secondary build which is ideal for Georgia and Mass but still very functional in NC (14 pt captain so far). The speed is so fun. I can hunt down a kiter and then get back to the rest of the fleet which is not something you can usually do. I can also get OUT of danger if I am able to turn around. 

I have yet to start the British line and am not sold on the play style of the Thunderer. I am earning Nelson very soon though. I opted to hold out and I'll grab Thunderer if its still available next time around if I get there. No rush for me and then I probably wont even bother grinding the line between having those two BBs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,038 posts
4,513 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Go for Thunderer first since with Wargaming’s track record and how popular Thunderer has been, would not surprise me in the least to see he removed from sale in the coming months. 

Georgia has not been quite as numerous so it’s a safer bet to be able to wait on that one.

They're both relatively in danger as the "pull" logic goes. Georgia is a little older and sits at the moneymaking tier (and is sold for cash), Thunderer is probably a bit too good at what it does.

In both their favor, they have drawbacks (squishy, only specific ranges are optimal) and aren't as overpowered as the BBs that have been removed. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
145
[4-FUN]
[4-FUN]
Members
195 posts
10,018 battles

If you like secondary builds, go Georgia. 

Georgia also has speed boost, putting its max speed up to 40knots if you are also running a speed flag. So I play it more like a battle cruiser and use it to flank quickly.

However, its secondary pen will struggle with most Cruisers so if you want it to cross the 25mm threshold and have it actually do damage to cruisers etc, take IFHE instead of AFT. This means they will sit at 9.4km and at 26mm pen with secondary flag. But I have done up to 65k damage with secondaries alone against ships which if I had not taken IFHE, I would have done less then 10k damage. Contrary to a lot of information, due to the high ROF (2.7 seconds with flag) and high accuracy, you will still set a lot of fires with your secondaries even when you have taken IFHE.

Cheers
CC123

Edited by CC123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,349
[WORX]
Members
13,245 posts
20,109 battles
1 hour ago, Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half said:

I don't yet have a heavy hitting long range BB like the Thunderer

I am sorry to inform, The Thunderer do not fill this expectation...

The Thunderer is more like an HE slinging Conqueror... If you're in the market for that, then get the Thunderer...

IMO, I recommend the Georgia, unless you want what the Thunderer offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
2,756 battles
1 hour ago, Fifi_Macaffee said:

I recently had this same debate. I went with Georgia and am very happy with it.

Play style was my main contributor. I like to play aggressive, fast ships and G fits the bill perfectly. Fragile hull but the guns hit crazy hard and have a fast reload. Secondaries are fantastic for when I get closer and against DD. I do no intentionally brawl a german or soviet BB and of course avoid the delicate broadside whenever possible. I am also still working through my US BB line, so she is useful as a trainer (I have a hybrid secondary build which is ideal for Georgia and Mass but still very functional in NC (14 pt captain so far). The speed is so fun. I can hunt down a kiter and then get back to the rest of the fleet which is not something you can usually do. I can also get OUT of danger if I am able to turn around. 

I have yet to start the British line and am not sold on the play style of the Thunderer. I am earning Nelson very soon though. I opted to hold out and I'll grab Thunderer if its still available next time around if I get there. No rush for me and then I probably wont even bother grinding the line between having those two BBs. 

Georgia seems like a more fun cheaper choice but part of me really wants to get the Thunderer. Hmm, I may just get the Thunderer so I can have a tier 10 British bb experience without grinding the entire line. Best of luck with the rest of the USN BB line, I really liked them. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
2,756 battles
4 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I am sorry to inform, The Thunderer do not fill this expectation...

The Thunderer is more like an HE slinging Conqueror... If you're in the market for that, then get the Thunderer...

IMO, I recommend the Georgia, unless you want what the Thunderer offers.

Thanks, I've still got a decent amount of coal to grind so I've got plenty of time to think this over lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,137 posts
14,811 battles
6 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I am sorry to inform, The Thunderer do not fill this expectation...

The Thunderer is more like an HE slinging Conqueror... If you're in the market for that, then get the Thunderer...

IMO, I recommend the Georgia, unless you want what the Thunderer offers.

If all you are doing is slinging HE in the Thunderer, like maybe the Conq; you're playing the Thunderer wrong. 

edit: Do you even have the Thunderer Naval? or the Georgia?

Edited by Rollingonit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
2,756 battles
2 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

I dont think you can wrong with either of those ships. You seem to understand the basic differences of their recommended gameplay/game style.

I have both and immensely enjoy playing both. The GA is, if spec'd, is a mach 3, secondary joy. The Thunderer is more of your traditional BB, with excellent main battery armament, both HE and AP. I mostly use AP on it though, it has better AP than most of the other tech tree RN BBs. Both can be squishy. 

Thanks for the input. In your experience of playing the Thunderer, is overmatching cruisers and BBs common at medium to long ranges?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
2,756 battles
1 hour ago, panamaz28 said:

Get the Thunderer

Then go find the ac/dc tune Thunderstruck, turn it up real loud and play the Thunderer !!

Or go get Rocky III  and watch Clubber Lang pulverize Rocky !!

 

Panama

Haha will do. Have you seen the 2 cellos version of Thunderstruck by any chance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
2,756 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Go for Thunderer first since with Wargaming’s track record and how popular Thunderer has been, would not surprise me in the least to see he removed from sale in the coming months. 

Georgia has not been quite as numerous so it’s a safer bet to be able to wait on that one.

I think it'll take me at least another 3 months to get the coal since I'm not playing as much as I did before. Hopefully, I still have a choice by the time I get enough coal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
2,756 battles
29 minutes ago, CC123 said:

If you like secondary builds, go Georgia. 

Georgia also has speed boost, putting its max speed up to 40knots if you are also running a speed flag. So I play it more like a battle cruiser and use it to flank quickly.

However, its secondary pen will struggle with most Cruisers so if you want it to cross the 25mm threshold and have it actually do damage to cruisers etc, take IFHE instead of AFT. This means they will sit at 9.4km and at 26mm pen with secondary flag. But I have done up to 65k damage with secondaries alone against ships which if I had not taken IFHE, I would have done less then 10k damage. Contrary to a lot of information, due to the high ROF (2.7 seconds with flag) and high accuracy, you will still set a lot of fires with your secondaries even when you have taken IFHE.

Cheers
CC123

Thank you, if I get the Georgia I'll consider respecing my captain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,349
[WORX]
Members
13,245 posts
20,109 battles
42 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

If all you are doing is slinging HE in the Thunderer, like maybe the Conq; you're playing the Thunderer wrong. 

edit: Do you even have the Thunderer Naval? or the Georgia?

Not me, the majority of the Thunderer owners in tier 10, play it as a Conqueror...

As far as I can tell, the HE slinging tactic works for them... That is why, when I face a Thunderer... They'll be using HE... Now is it wrong ??? IF its stupid but it works then its not stupid..


I dont "have" the ships in my port.. I do have access to them from time to time in events... I do play against them every time I play a tier 10 battle in the live or PTS server environments.

Never fails to have a Thunderer or Conqueror topping the boards in Rank or CB,  by just using HE.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
153
[USMC-]
Members
359 posts
9,345 battles

Thunderer with Eight 457’s slinging rounds every 24 secs is awesome. I love using he on angled bb’s and when they turn broadside because they think i wont change ammo is just precious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
146
[DRY]
Members
200 posts
8,747 battles

Definitely go with Georgia. I went with Thunderer and regret it. It's a dull ship that encourages bad habits. It's a very, very good ship for someone with good habits, of course, but so is the Georgia. At least when you play the Georgia badly you'll be having fun. If you're like me you won't even play Thunderer much, because you'll realize that most of the BBs in t10 matches these days are Thunderers, and by bringing one you add nothing to your team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
323
[ARGSY]
Members
729 posts
11,236 battles

Not being a BB guy and relatively inexperienced, I opted for the Thunderer. It is hard for me to be great in her but she is a fairly easy ship to be decent in. Forgiving.  Don't know the GA but will get her soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
420
[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,604 posts
23,077 battles
3 hours ago, Rear_Admiral_Lower_Half said:

What about the Thunderer do you not like?

He ship mainly. Not what I like in a BB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,778
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,872 posts
25,982 battles
8 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

I am sorry to inform, The Thunderer do not fill this expectation...

The Thunderer is more like an HE slinging Conqueror... If you're in the market for that, then get the Thunderer...

IMO, I recommend the Georgia, unless you want what the Thunderer offers.

 

4 hours ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

He ship mainly. Not what I like in a BB

Except that Thunderer has both excellent HE & AP shell selection.

If you aren't using both, that's a player issue, not the ship's.

 

The AP is very competitive (Ohio & Georgia share the same shell characteristics).

Nfz6kJO.jpg

It's a pretty raw shell comparison because none of these BBs, to include Ohio which shares Georgia's guns, have neither special AP bounce angles or short AP fusing.

Georgia 457mm x6 with MBM3 reloads at 22.8 seconds

Kremlin 457mm x9 with MBM3 reloads at 29.04 seconds.

Thunderer 457mm x8 with MBM3 reloads at 22.8 seconds.  Remember, she has Ohio's old, WiP OP Gunnery.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×