Sign in to follow this  
Estimated_Prophet

Thank you, but no. (Orland.)

9 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
16,190 posts
28,079 battles

Just as a basic FYI, here are my test game results from PT, (Co-op.)

xIIuQJ.jpg

Partly self-inflicted, because I didn't think to look closely at the consumables while loading modules; (in the middle of a battle, stop to shoot, no smoke...) but my reaction after my first two games...

QKaqB8.jpg

...was so totally negative all testing the destroyer out did in the end was reinforce my decision NOT to bother even playing them in Live.

Maybe Friesland spoiled me.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
typos

[CVA16]
Members
6,438 posts
20,003 battles

I will agree that the line is not ideal for COOP where sitting in smoke, blasting the charging braindead red bots works great. Of course in randoms, sitting in smoke will often get you killed. Bots don't shoot at gun-flashes or torp smoke clouds.  Also, bot CVs are mostly ineffective so your better than average DD AA is largely moot. Generally the French are much better open-water gunboats. You can still make them work, but it takes a lot more work on your part. They are not for everybody.

[WPORT]
Members
9,821 posts
14,329 battles

After playing against them while sailing my CV's, I've come to the conclusion that the strong-suit of the Ikea DD's is their capability to really annoy CV's.

I've even got Visby and Vasteras in my port and have played them in co-op and random battles.
So, Vasteras at Tier-6 does it better, but they're both able to keep BB's nervous and cause attrition to aircraft squadrons in random battles.
In my opinion, they're less effective in co-op.  Probably due to a combination of my play-style and the 'Bots not lacking for courage.  :-)

[CVA16]
Members
6,438 posts
20,003 battles
21 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

In my opinion, they're less effective in co-op.  Probably due to a combination of my play-style and the 'Bots not lacking for courage.  :-)

Less effective for several reasons,  DDs with smoke being very effective in Coop being the main one. There is also the lack of alpha on the torps. You can do a full drive by on a BB. land all your torps and NOT sink him. Coop battles (generally) don't last long enough for the attrition game to work. 

[WPORT]
Members
9,821 posts
14,329 battles
42 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Less effective for several reasons,  DDs with smoke being very effective in Coop being the main one. There is also the lack of alpha on the torps. You can do a full drive by on a BB. land all your torps and NOT sink him. Coop battles (generally) don't last long enough for the attrition game to work. 

You're correct about the weak damage of the Ikea DD's' torpedoes.  I agree with you on that point.
And the need to have a salvo plus another full salvo to sink BB's and CV's involves a full re-load cycle of the torpedoes.  Which, as you point out, puts the DD at risk of damage for too long a time and the match may end before the torpedoes are re-loaded.  Again, I agree.

[PVE]
Members
7,327 posts

I played a co-op game last night in the Vasteras where I spent a good part of the game trying to kill an Alabama.  7 torps for about ~24k, well over 50 HE hits for ~6k.  The Bama finally finished me off.  I was able to get a laugh out it since it was only co-op.

Edited by Slimeball91

[UNC]
Members
949 posts
6,399 battles

Oland is where the line transitions to torp-first boats and starts to really shine IMO, and Ostergotland is better yet with Halland being the gem of the line... Which seems to follow most of the recent line releases where the mid-tiers are meh but the ships improve as you move up the tiers.  The low alpha of the torpedoes does mean you need a lot of hits in relatively quick succession to tax the DCP by stacking floods.  The Russian BBs with their quick cycling DCP are the most difficult to do this to; you need to hit them with about 3 consecutive racks of torps to have a chance to sink them.  Heck, I had a Halland game the other night with 29 torpedo hits, and despite 254k damage did not sink a single ship.  I think all that damage was done against 3 BBs.  I felt kind of dirty and pretty frustrated all at once.

[CVA16]
Members
6,438 posts
20,003 battles
2 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Oland is where the line transitions to torp-first boats and starts to really shine IMO, and Ostergotland is better yet with Halland being the gem of the line... Which seems to follow most of the recent line releases where the mid-tiers are meh but the ships improve as you move up the tiers.  The low alpha of the torpedoes does mean you need a lot of hits in relatively quick succession to tax the DCP by stacking floods.  The Russian BBs with their quick cycling DCP are the most difficult to do this to; you need to hit them with about 3 consecutive racks of torps to have a chance to sink them.  Heck, I had a Halland game the other night with 29 torpedo hits, and despite 254k damage did not sink a single ship.  I think all that damage was done against 3 BBs.  I felt kind of dirty and pretty frustrated all at once.

Which kind of begs the question: Is the line ever really GOOD for Coop mode (or scenarios if they qualify)? Even at the peak of the line, they tend to deliver death by a thousand cuts. Coop typically only gives you time for about 500 cuts. I have done well in Coop with them, but probably would have done even better driving something else. (caveat-I don't have the top Ikea boats yet)

The answer may be entirely different for Randoms  where CVs are competent and the enemy doesn't just yolo charge.. 

[UNC]
Members
949 posts
6,399 battles
26 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Which kind of begs the question: Is the line ever really GOOD for Coop mode (or scenarios if they qualify)? Even at the peak of the line, they tend to deliver death by a thousand cuts. Coop typically only gives you time for about 500 cuts. I have done well in Coop with them, but probably would have done even better driving something else. (caveat-I don't have the top Ikea boats yet)

The answer may be entirely different for Randoms  where CVs are competent and the enemy doesn't just yolo charge.. 

I would say no to co-op.  They just don't have the alpha to compete with other ships in the short windows co-op provides.  If you play primarily co-op, then I don't think there is much point investing time into this line.  For randoms though, they are pretty fun until you hit games with 4 radars and a competent CV; then they get challenging.

Sign in to follow this