You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tachyon_Pixel

Is New Orleans as bad as Pensacola?

13 comments in this topic

[PANAT]
Members
11 posts
1,339 battles

So, sometimes I do good in Pensacola, but mostly I do bad, and I was just wondering, is New Orleans just as bad? Because if it is, IDK what I'm gonna do.

Members
238 posts

Oh hell no!  I completely skipped Pensacola because it’s turret traverse was so bad.  I really enjoyed New Orleans.  She is still ridiculously squishy, so you will need to perfect the art of hiding behind islands, but her guns are great!

[PANAT]
Members
11 posts
1,339 battles
Just now, SeaGladius said:

Oh hell no!  I completely skipped Pensacola because it’s turret traverse was so bad.  I really enjoyed New Orleans.  She is still ridiculously squishy, so you will need to perfect the art of hiding behind islands, but her guns are great!

yeah, its almost as slow as Fuso. But at least NO isn't horrible

Members
99 posts
6,790 battles

The NO is better.  Better, but not great armor and better guns and turrets.  IDK if it gets American cruiser AP with improved auto bounce angles yet.  Hang in there, Baltimore, Buffalo and Des Moines are good boats.Suggestion, try the US light cruiser line.  You might enjoy them better.   Dallas is a fun ship and  Helena is still a beast even with IFHE nerf.  Cleveland is great also.  

[LUCK]
Members
1,836 posts
29,004 battles
31 minutes ago, Tachyon_Pixel said:

So, sometimes I do good in Pensacola, but mostly I do bad, and I was just wondering, is New Orleans just as bad? Because if it is, IDK what I'm gonna do.

Pensacola is good. Turret traverse is nothing like it used to be but the bow armor buff was very welcome. Basically you can bow tank any BB not 16” guns.

Members
4,057 posts
10,060 battles
27 minutes ago, Player_7629970598 said:

The NO is better.  Better, but not great armor and better guns and turrets.  IDK if it gets American cruiser AP with improved auto bounce angles yet.  Hang in there, Baltimore, Buffalo and Des Moines are good boats.Suggestion, try the US light cruiser line.  You might enjoy them better.   Dallas is a fun ship and  Helena is still a beast even with IFHE nerf.  Cleveland is great also.  

All of the US CAs from t6 up have the improved pen angles, but only the t8+ cruisers (with the exception of Wichita which uses NO shells) have super heavy AP shells with the improved damage and pen. 

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,946 posts
13,517 battles

Citacola is a much better ship than she once was, she can take a hit now...before you sneezed on her and she made an Omaha look tough, well I guess that is a BIT of an exaggeration.  NO is better, but her competition is better too...so she's not amazingly better...maybe a bit.

Members
235 posts
4,716 battles

I'll add in the adverse opinion that Pensacola is far better than New Orleans tier for tier.

Personally New Orleans feels useless when uptiered. The range on the main battery feels too short, and her lack of armor (even though it was buffed) feels inadequate when fighting higher tier ships.

Pensacola on the other hand used to be a T7 ship before the USN cruiser line split back in the day. What did they change? They slightly readjusted HP and gave her slower turret traverse. Not a bad deal for moving down a tier. Just lock your turrets when fighting.

Given the recent armor buffs to Pensacola, I find her to be essentially a T6.5 ship. The volume of her high AP salvos can decimate cruisers within her tier spread, and the same can be said of lighter armored ships with HE. Equip her with a captain running concealment expert and she can get quite a jump on most cruisers while chunking broadside battleships with her AP.

New Orleans just never clicked for me. Sure you can still perform, but she loses Pensacola's competitive advantages as ships become more heavily armored and start equipping similar heavy cruiser guns. NO always felt like a modest upgrade at best, and I always felt like it needed to be better considering the higher tier.

Baltimore is a significant upgrade imo. With her, you gain access to super-heavy AP! :cap_haloween:

Members
238 posts

NO does face tougher MM, and it is a struggle to fight Tier 9’s.  But I found her to be a more comfortable ship than Pensacola.  Baltimore was definitely a nice upgrade though!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,663 posts
13,998 battles

The only problem I have with the Pensacola is that it lost the turret turn buff it had when it was down tiered. Now even with EM she has to travel in a strait line while firing

[CVA16]
Members
5,103 posts
15,278 battles
2 hours ago, Player_7629970598 said:

Hang in there, Baltimore, Buffalo and Des Moines are good boats.

Well, 2 outta 3 maybe. I enjoyed Baltimore and  DM. Buffalo never seemed to click with me. I now have an Alaska so Buff never leaves port.

[1CVDV]
Members
90 posts
10,346 battles

pepsi and no are both decent ships for their respective tiers.these boats do well in completing missions and co-op.the thing to remember here is use them and build your captains,the higher skill your captain the better the ships perform....that's just my two cents..