Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Nabucodonosor21

Asashio Torpedos: some cruisers didnt get hit by them?

33 comments in this topic

[KOBK]
Members
483 posts
5,573 battles

So i was playing with my Alaska, and freaked out when a wave of 3 or 4 torps was on his way to sunk me...only to pass below the ship without causing damage...this happened twice in the match so i would like to know if there's some way to know beforehand which cruisers are inmune to deep water torpedos?

Thanks in advance

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,810 posts
21,758 battles

Asashio torpedoes don't hit cruisers. Asashio's DWTs are unique; Pan Asian DWTs do hit cruisers.

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,816 posts
11,368 battles

What Lert said. You can see this by hovering over the torpedo module in the equipment tab.

Asashio:

2065271801_AsashioDWT.png.cf8e513b9e8ea84bd5f27df3d9851c10.png

A tech-tree PA DD:

770034224_PADWT.png.b7a8583405823b3b1147e0212d6d4db8.png

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,810 posts
21,758 battles
6 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

What Lert said. You can see this by hovering over the torpedo module in the equipment tab.

Only if you have them.

• Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,492 posts
15,446 battles
31 minutes ago, Nabucodonosor21 said:

So i was playing with my Alaska, and freaked out when a wave of 3 or 4 torps was on his way to sunk me...only to pass below the ship without causing damage...this happened twice in the match so i would like to know if there's some way to know beforehand which cruisers are inmune to deep water torpedos?

Thanks in advance

Pay attention to the icon in the water when they are coming toward you.  If its a little dot in the water for an icon, it can not hit you.  If its a normal icon, or anything but a dot basically, they can hit you.

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
2,816 posts
11,368 battles
20 minutes ago, Lert said:

Only if you have them.

Good point. I’ve been running the “all ships in tree” mod for so long I don’t even think about the fact that most players can’t see any detailed information on most premiums. Even if you don’t own a ship and it isn’t available from the tree, with the mod you can see the info by expanding the “torpedoes” tab in the stat summary.

WG really needs to make that mod a feature of the vanilla client.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[KOBK]
Members
483 posts
5,573 battles
52 minutes ago, Lert said:

Asashio torpedoes don't hit cruisers. Asashio's DWTs are unique; Pan Asian DWTs do hit cruisers.

Didnt know that...i checked the pan asian DWT and they hit cruisers, so i supposed its a general for them. It look like Asashio is an exception. Thanks!

36 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Asashio:

2065271801_AsashioDWT.png.cf8e513b9e8ea84bd5f27df3d9851c10.png

A tech-tree PA DD:

770034224_PADWT.png.b7a8583405823b3b1147e0212d6d4db8.png

Thanks! as i dont have her, i cant see her stats ingame.

19 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Pay attention to the icon in the water when they are coming toward you.  If its a little dot in the water for an icon, it can not hit you.  If its a normal icon, or anything but a dot basically, they can hit you.

Thank i will check it out!

13 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Good point. I’ve been running the “all ships in tree” mod for so long I don’t even think about the fact that most players can’t see any detailed information on most premiums. Even if you don’t own a ship and it isn’t available from the tree, with the mod you can see the info by expanding the “torpedoes” tab in the stat summary.

WG really needs to make that mod a feature of the vanilla client.

Im downloading the mod now so i can check better things like this. Thanks for the info!

[UNC]
Members
953 posts
6,416 battles
27 minutes ago, Lert said:

Only if you have them.

Does the new "Preview ship in port" feature not allow you to see the modules?  Asking because I haven't played with it much and do not recall.  Would be nice if it did.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,810 posts
21,758 battles
3 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Does the new "Preview ship in port" feature not allow you to see the modules?  Asking because I haven't played with it much and do not recall.  Would be nice if it did.

I'm not in game right now so I can't check if that works for the Pan Asian destroyers, but it certainly doesn't work for premium ships that aren't in the tech tree.

[GWG]
Members
7,614 posts
14,511 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

My Fushon torps passed under a light cruiser -- I need to look this up in a training room.

Looked up the target description in-game....  just says shallow draft - nothing about ship classes.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles
31 minutes ago, Lert said:

I'm not in game right now so I can't check if that works for the Pan Asian destroyers, but it certainly doesn't work for premium ships that aren't in the tech tree.

It's a feature of the armory, if memory serves. So you know where to look. I'd answer, but I have most premiums I want and thus don't use it.

Everything left, I don't much want or can't afford. :Smile_teethhappy:

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,810 posts
21,758 battles
8 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

My Fushon torps passed under a light cruiser

GxXcevX.jpg

Please provide replay.

8 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Looked up the target description in-game....  just says shallow draft - nothing about ship classes.

WbeHMKx.jpg

bPAjxjf.jpg

Says clearly which ships Fushun's DWTs can deal damage to.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles
14 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

My Fushon torps passed under a light cruiser -- I need to look this up in a training room.

Perhaps it passed under the stern? There is often a bit of a gap there.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,810 posts
21,758 battles
3 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

It's a feature of the armory, if memory serves. So you know where to look.

1) Doesn't help if the ship isn't available at the moment, like Asashio

2) Can't realistically expect everyone to look at all ships in the armory and memorize all details about them

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles
Just now, Lert said:

1) Doesn't help if the ship isn't available at the moment, like Asashio

2) Can't realistically expect everyone to look at all ships in the armory and memorize all details about them

And yet people suggest exactly that with gun size and plating thickness for overmatch, ships that have radar, radar range even before they were fairly unified, torpedo range, how much AA ships have if you play CV, hydro ship detection range, etc. Even just one of these stats can involve looking at hundreds of ships depending on how many tiers you play in.

In the end, it is what it is, but quite a lot of people seem to expect exactly that of the playerbase at large anytime someone complains about these things. It's not as memetic as Just Dodge™, but still.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,810 posts
21,758 battles
Just now, Shoggoth_pinup said:

And yet people suggest exactly that with gun size and plating thickness for overmatch, ships that have radar, radar range even before they were fairly unified, torpedo range, how much AA ships have if you play CV, hydro ship detection range, etc. Even just one of these stats can involve looking at hundreds of ships depending on how many tiers you play in.

Arguing that learning those separates the good players from the casual ones =/= expecting people to learn all exceptions to standard design specifications for ships that are relatively rarely seen.

[GWG]
Members
7,614 posts
14,511 battles
22 minutes ago, Lert said:

GxXcevX.jpg

Please provide replay.

WbeHMKx.jpg

bPAjxjf.jpg

Can't bring that up inside a game.  Only use this once a week for Naval Battles.

It was against a bot light cruiser.

Wish I remember which cruiser it was.  I saw it happen with astonishment - then thought they must have nerfed DDs in some release I didn't keep up on.

Live and learn -- Only fire Fushun torps at Battleships from now on.  Not the craziest thing that happens here.  Oh well... next...

.... then I see this thread.

Training Battle just now -- Tried Dugay-Trion, Omaha, Svietlana, Dallas, Konigsburg, and Montecuccoli -- all kills.

Must've been a software glitch or desync...   Lesson UNLEARNED.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,494 battles

This is exactly WHY I launch Asa torps at a CA when I am in a tight spot.... they sometimes freak out and turn away and I live to fight....

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,494 battles
23 minutes ago, Lert said:

Arguing that learning those separates the good players from the casual ones =/= expecting people to learn all exceptions to standard design specifications for ships that are relatively rarely seen.

Hard lesson to learn, but...yes learning the game inside out helps any player to be a better one...

[GWG]
Members
7,614 posts
14,511 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Please provide replay.

My replays only go back to Saturday morning 8AM..   No Fushun other than the training rooms I did.

It tells you that in PORT, but not while a game is going on.  Just says 'Deep Draft' when I <ctrl> cursor over the torps.  I had a battle to finish and forgot the incident until now.

The thing that bugs me now is that there may be some light cruiser between T4 and T8 that registers as a DD when DWTs sail under it.

Glitches happen....    Campbeltown Torpedoes are FREE, and we can mount the special mod on the DOY to extend Hydro.  Such things are not unheard of.

I'd have to fire up the second account to do the Kirov - now that it's a premium.  Who knows where this might be lurking ??

Or it might have been desync.. 
Edit: Stats would be under the AVR__Project second account.  I use the Anshan and LoMain in the primary for Naval Battles.

Edited by AVR_Project

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles
31 minutes ago, Lert said:

If you use incomplete data, what's the point of memorizing it in the first place? Either you know something or you don't. If one settles for knowing a little, completing that knowledge becomes infinitely harder, as then you have to figure out what you do or do not know, or just start from square one and do it all anyways. Not to mention that the rarer knowledge is, the more valuable it is, such as Belfast not having a heal or torps, Mo having radar, Atlanta/Flint having a bow you can overmatch, Black having radar, Flint having better AA than Atlanta but fewer guns and longer legged torps, Kuma and Yubari being able to be cit by HE bombs, Danae being able to be cit by rockets, Ryuujou being able to be cit by a wide range of HE, etc.

Heck, if anything, I'd argue that learning about the exceptions to rules is more valuable than otherwise. The common ships you learn just by playing long enough, if you pay attention. Rarer ships, however, you can't easily learn about through the typical methods. You have no choice but to research them properly and memorize the details to a passable degree if you want to better face them. 

Members
4,700 posts
45,702 battles

Asashio is great since only BBs hang back, so I let them loose and then pass under your teammates.

It's even funnier in Randoms when you fire them and a cruiser thinks they will hit. They dance to avoid but a BB catches them wide.

Quite useful for pranking cruisers out of a hiding spot.

[GWG]
Members
7,614 posts
14,511 battles
7 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

If you use incomplete data, what's the point of memorizing it in the first place? Either you know something or you don't. If one settles for knowing a little, completing that knowledge becomes infinitely harder, as then you have to figure out what you do or do not know, or just start from square one and do it all anyways. Not to mention that the rarer knowledge is, the more valuable it is, such as Belfast not having a heal or torps, Mo having radar, Atlanta/Flint having a bow you can overmatch, Black having radar, Flint having better AA than Atlanta but fewer guns and longer legged torps, Kuma and Yubari being able to be cit by HE bombs, Danae being able to be cit by rockets, Ryuujou being able to be cit by a wide range of HE, etc.

Heck, if anything, I'd argue that learning about the exceptions to rules is more valuable than otherwise. The common ships you learn just by playing long enough, if you pay attention. Rarer ships, however, you can't easily learn about through the typical methods. You have no choice but to research them properly and memorize the details to a passable degree if you want to better face them. 

Yes..  I am a casual player.  I admit that.

I don't envy the task of pouring over release notes and ship specs every time WG does something silly - like change IFHE (hasn't happened this week yet), or bounce angles.

I can't allocate the time to learn everything here.  I just fire shots at the red-ones and hope some of them hit..  and if they hit, maybe do some damage -- don't get me started with Yamato shooting at Chapayev....  But as you say...  Learning 'a little' is dangerous.

So I play for fun and will stay out of your way -- unless I'm holding a flank you want.  Then there will be a problem.

• Thanks 2

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles
24 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Yes..  I am a casual player.  I admit that.

I don't envy the task of pouring over release notes and ship specs every time WG does something silly - like change IFHE (hasn't happened this week yet), or bounce angles.

I can't allocate the time to learn everything here.  I just fire shots at the red-ones and hope some of them hit..  and if they hit, maybe do some damage -- don't get me started with Yamato shooting at Chapayev....  But as you say...  Learning 'a little' is dangerous.

So I play for fun and will stay out of your way -- unless I'm holding a flank you want.  Then there will be a problem.

Never said I was like that either. :cap_haloween: I learn the rare data by force, but otherwise learn the rest by trial and error. The rare data is the most important in my book. I see a ship I don't understand, then I go about understanding it. WoWS Fitting Tool is a great site to do so.

Which is why I don't say I know details. I have an incomplete view of things learned by trial and error, and while it serves me well, it's by no means complete.

The true secret to my success is self reflection, rather. I constantly think about what I did wrong and how I could have done it better.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
7,614 posts
14,511 battles
1 hour ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Never said I was like that either. :cap_haloween: I learn the rare data by force, but otherwise learn the rest by trial and error. The rare data is the most important in my book. I see a ship I don't understand, then I go about understanding it. WoWS Fitting Tool is a great site to do so.

Which is why I don't say I know details. I have an incomplete view of things learned by trial and error, and while it serves me well, it's by no means complete.

The true secret to my success is self reflection, rather. I constantly think about what I did wrong and how I could have done it better.

When I joined, there was 4 nations as the German cruisers just came out.  Russia and Germany only had one line each.  USA and Japan had 4 lines each.

Everybody got to know everything about the few ships there were.  There was no 'Elite XP' so captain points were the hardest to grind out.

Now....   With the new nations, full ship lines, and changes, it's tough to keep track.  What did you think the first time someone brought a St. Louis to a tier 9 battle?  Oh.. It's a French ship ??

I know I saw those DW torpedoes sail under that cruiser.  Turns out it was last weekend, not this one.  But there have been display malfunctions before.  Since I don't play that line very much, my G.A.S. level is -meh- whatever. 

But I make a point to remember the hard lessons - like you say, and I had to knife-fight that bot cruiser after the torps missed.  Fortunately those Russian guns pack a good AP wallop on a broadside cruiser.

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this