Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

Is it good practice to post happy SC results? What about happy lootbox results?

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

992
[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts

Sometimes when players get excited and happy, they understandably want to share. Should this be encouraged? If a player gets a Benham (as recently shared on a forum post), I am absolutely happy for him/her and am not jealous. (This might be easier for me to say because 1) I have Benham and 2) I have gotten a ship from a SC before.)
What about the players who get Juliet Charlie after Juliet Charlie? Would these posts then be upsetting or (worse) bragging and thus should be discouraged?

Somewhat related but separate from SCs: What about Early Access/prem ship drops from lootboxes? If the forums were flooded with "I got a Tirpitz for 99 cents during Christmas!!!! These containers are awesome!!!!" because players tend to post about happy, share-worthy things then more players would buy these containers with the unrealistic expectation of a ship. A different, maybe more realistic example is players who buy Early Access crates. I have a feeling that a higher percentage of players who get EA ships publish a post than players who don't even if they both buy the same number of lootboxes for doubloons. Similarly, we see more posts of players getting EA German CVs from free crates than NOT getting EA German CVs. I've seen posts of players with Tier VIs and even VIIIs from the free crates. I don't have even the Tier IV and absolutely earn all crates possible. Am I the exception? I think not.

I do NOT have an answer to either of the above questions or even a fully formed opinion yet. But I will share one of my stories: (hopefully, it won't be "wrong" or a bad idea to share this story)

Spoiler

During a Soviet event promoting the newly released unique commander Kuznetsov, the lootboxes had a chance at dropping premium ships. It was a significant grind to unlock Kuznetsov and if memory serves only 25% of players could get him for free due to some necessary event tokens being locked behind the Hall of Fame for the top 25% of players. I saw quite a few posts of happy players opening just 10 containers to get the premium ships Okhotnik, Molotov, Leningrad, or Lenin. I did not have either of these 4 ships then so thought the lootboxes could be worth it. If I got even Okhotnik instead of Kuznetsov, it would be worth it for me. (I am not the kind of player who would buy Molotov, Leningrad, or Lenin because they are not unique enough for me.) At the end of the event, I had enough to buy Kuznetsov. Instead, I used my tokens to buy ~20 event containers. What happened? I had unrealistic expectations and did not get a single ship. In a sense, a hard month's grinding down the drain. (On the plus side, I still have 100+ Victory camos today.) I forfeited a GUARANTEED chance to get Kuznetsov, who was definitely popular among the community, for 20 RNG rolls with a CHANCE of ship. In hindsight, it's not worth it at all (don't we always say we made a bad choice "in hindsight"?). No doubt I made a bad choice, and you can criticize me for this, but I still want to share my personal experience. To this day, I don't have Kuznetsov because I don't have enough coal yet. (I prioritize ships over captains especially because of the high 175,000 coal price that's almost worth an Okt Rev purchased with coupon plus Blyskawica, Aigle, and Anshan without.) I collect at least 2 "More Resources" containers per day (sometimes even 3), finish all daily missions almost every single day, have ranked out in every Ranked Sprint season, use coupons for ship purchases, etc. I am NOT angry at the happy players who got a prem ship and posted about it. But I am nearly 100% certain that had I not saw those posts I would have gotten Kuznetsov (and vividly recall switching to the containers after reading those posts; Kuznetsov was my default choice at the start).

Is the practice of blindly posting positive results while ignoring negative ones harmful? Maybe yes maybe no. What does the community think?

Good luck with your RNG drops, all!

(I was indeed encouraged to write this post by the Benham post. Congrats @Markk9! Seems you haven't gotten around to trying her yet?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,378
[WOLFG]
Members
9,607 posts
8,595 battles

I think that anyone who has been around for a while knows that loot boxes are usually a disappointment unless you want the stuff other than the big prize.

When you start, super containers are awesome because you need everything.  Once you have a bunch of stuff though, unless it is doubloons, coal, steel, fxp, or the elusive ship, they become kind of a buzzkill.

That being said, I don't think it hurts anything to post the good stuff.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,007
[RLGN]
Members
14,303 posts
25,241 battles

Well; we’re not quite as retentive about such things as Reddit, right now at least.

Doesn’t hurt to search for recent similar threads though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
621 posts
884 battles

Every time I see SC I immediately think: USS South Carolina.

Given that a lot of people hate this ship and hate when they do well, I assumed this was another one of those.

oops

1776401153_VictoryCamo.thumb.PNG.ed0bcca602e84ee36e9ededb272ea549.PNG1776635852_AniverssaryCamo.PNG.8470cc18c46474c096add5735c2e598a.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,261
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,123 posts
4,088 battles

People post because it's rare unusual. If every other SC dropped a premium, no one would care when you got one. But when something unusual happens, you want to share it. SC drops, loot drops, heck even great results, etc. Could a new player get the idea that these things are common? Maybe, though there aren't many threads, and everyone is usually making comments about how no one is going to get any citadels for a month as a result so it's fairly obvious it's not common. And there are just as many threads complaining about the low drop rates of such things.

 

Also, the type of people who spend a huge amount of money on insanely low drop rate loot crates aren't the type who would be discouraged by a few posts about the true drop rate. It's like gambling, the reasonable part of their mind probably knows it's very unlikely, but it's not the reasonable part that's making the decision to buy.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
777
[LOU1]
Members
4,170 posts
12,073 battles

I was wondering about this myself.  I received two of the German CVs from free containers and really wanted to post the screenshot each time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,017
[4HIM]
Members
3,021 posts
12,631 battles
55 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

What about the players who get Juliet Charlie after Juliet Charlie?

Nah, you also get Hotel Yankees in there as well.  At one time I had so many of them I mounted them every match.  Helped me earn several Die Hards.

Including one in a Phoenix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
992
[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts

How many of you clicked the spoiler? Does it affect how you feel?

1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I think that anyone who has been around for a while knows that loot boxes are usually a disappointment unless you want the stuff other than the big prize.

When you start, super containers are awesome because you need everything.  Once you have a bunch of stuff though, unless it is doubloons, coal, steel, fxp, or the elusive ship, they become kind of a buzzkill.

That being said, I don't think it hurts anything to post the good stuff.

That said, there are players who haven't been around here for a while. Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Well; we’re not quite as retentive about such things as Reddit, right now at least.

Doesn’t hurt to search for recent similar threads though.

Do you have a specific opinion? I think it's kind of difficult to search threads.

1 hour ago, black_hull4 said:

Every time I see SC I immediately think: USS South Carolina.

Given that a lot of people hate this ship and hate when they do well, I assumed this was another one of those.

oops

If you have a happy USS South Carolina result, do share!

1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

People post because it's rare unusual. If every other SC dropped a premium, no one would care when you got one. But when something unusual happens, you want to share it. SC drops, loot drops, heck even great results, etc. Could a new player get the idea that these things are common? Maybe, though there aren't many threads, and everyone is usually making comments about how no one is going to get any citadels for a month as a result so it's fairly obvious it's not common. And there are just as many threads complaining about the low drop rates of such things.

Also, the type of people who spend a huge amount of money on insanely low drop rate loot crates aren't the type who would be discouraged by a few posts about the true drop rate. It's like gambling, the reasonable part of their mind probably knows it's very unlikely, but it's not the reasonable part that's making the decision to buy.

I agree "People post because it's rare unusual." Thanks for sharing this! For free lootboxes too there might be some feeling like "Other players have good RNG so I just have to play more for that 1 more box! [Some games later] I got the box, no ship, I need that 1 MORE box! [Some games later]..." By now, even when I try to remind myself 1 box won't make a difference (it really won't), it's hard to push that feeling away.

25 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I was wondering about this myself.  I received two of the German CVs from free containers and really wanted to post the screenshot each time.

Congrats! Hope you like the new German CVs. Sure, you can share the screenshots!

22 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Nah, you also get Hotel Yankees in there as well.  At one time I had so many of them I mounted them every match.  Helped me earn several Die Hards.

Including one in a Phoenix. 

Yes, Hotel Yankees drop too. I was including an example of a generic prize most players would be less happy to get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
986
[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
22,081 battles

Free stuff is free stuff. More free stuff is nice. I posted when I got two SC's with Steel about a week apart. 

I have never posted anything about early release drops because I have dropped every ship in all of these events. I guess thats what we're talking about here, wanting to share whats extraordinary;  Ive come to expect dropping all the early release ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
992
[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
7 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Free stuff is free stuff. More free stuff is nice. I posted when I got two SC's with Steel about a week apart. 

I have never posted anything about early release drops because I have dropped every ship in all of these events. I guess thats what we're talking about here, wanting to share whats extraordinary;  Ive come to expect dropping all the early release ships. 

WOW! That is some WONDERFUL EA ship drop RNG. Congrats! I've never gotten all the EA ships (and I think I've had an event where I got 0).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,099 posts
6,691 battles

I got the Tier VIII premium battleship Gascogne in a supercontainer!

 

 

 

 

.... on the Public Test Server.

Also, today I learned that if you get a ship in a supercontainer on the PTS, it will not be there the next time your PTS account is reset at the start of the next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
992
[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
31 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I got the Tier VIII premium battleship Gascogne in a supercontainer!

.... on the Public Test Server.

Also, today I learned that if you get a ship in a supercontainer on the PTS, it will not be there the next time your PTS account is reset at the start of the next season.

:Smile_sad: The current season includes the next PT patch too, so you will have 3 more PT rounds (at minimum) to try Gascogne. Hope you'll have this good RNG on your live account too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,038
[ARGSY]
Members
20,140 posts
14,323 battles
47 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I got the Tier VIII premium battleship Gascogne in a supercontainer!

 

 

 

 

.... on the Public Test Server.

Also, today I learned that if you get a ship in a supercontainer on the PTS, it will not be there the next time your PTS account is reset at the start of the next season.

Somebody recently got a Massachusetts.

I think if anyone got a Belfast or an Enterprise, some sort of intervention would be necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,099 posts
6,691 battles
19 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

:Smile_sad: The current season includes the next PT patch too, so you will have 3 more PT rounds (at minimum) to try Gascogne. Hope you'll have this good RNG on your live account too!

No, it was during the last Winter season, so it's already gone, and I'd be a liar if I said I ever did anything on PTS except cheese the best ship possible for spamming the mission objectives. This update it was Benham and Smolensk in co-op, both being old reliable standbys for the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,007
[RLGN]
Members
14,303 posts
25,241 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

Do you have a specific opinion? I think it's kind of difficult to search threads.

Post away. At least until WG establishes some policy restricting such things?

The reason to search for recent similar threads is simply a matter of controlling clutter, so to speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
272
[BB35]
Members
517 posts
3,861 battles
5 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

Sometimes when players get excited and happy, they understandably want to share. Should this be encouraged? If a player gets a Benham (as recently shared on a forum post), I am absolutely happy for him/her and am not jealous. (This might be easier for me to say because 1) I have Benham and 2) I have gotten a ship from a SC before.)
What about the players who get Juliet Charlie after Juliet Charlie? Would these posts then be upsetting or (worse) bragging and thus should be discouraged?

Somewhat related but separate from SCs: What about Early Access/prem ship drops from lootboxes? If the forums were flooded with "I got a Tirpitz for 99 cents during Christmas!!!! These containers are awesome!!!!" because players tend to post about happy, share-worthy things then more players would buy these containers with the unrealistic expectation of a ship. A different, maybe more realistic example is players who buy Early Access crates. I have a feeling that a higher percentage of players who get EA ships publish a post than players who don't even if they both buy the same number of lootboxes for doubloons. Similarly, we see more posts of players getting EA German CVs from free crates than NOT getting EA German CVs. I've seen posts of players with Tier VIs and even VIIIs from the free crates. I don't have even the Tier IV and absolutely earn all crates possible. Am I the exception? I think not.

I do NOT have an answer to either of the above questions or even a fully formed opinion yet. But I will share one of my stories: (hopefully, it won't be "wrong" or a bad idea to share this story)

  Reveal hidden contents

During a Soviet event promoting the newly released unique commander Kuznetsov, the lootboxes had a chance at dropping premium ships. It was a significant grind to unlock Kuznetsov and if memory serves only 25% of players could get him for free due to some necessary event tokens being locked behind the Hall of Fame for the top 25% of players. I saw quite a few posts of happy players opening just 10 containers to get the premium ships Okhotnik, Molotov, Leningrad, or Lenin. I did not have either of these 4 ships then so thought the lootboxes could be worth it. If I got even Okhotnik instead of Kuznetsov, it would be worth it for me. (I am not the kind of player who would buy Molotov, Leningrad, or Lenin because they are not unique enough for me.) At the end of the event, I had enough to buy Kuznetsov. Instead, I used my tokens to buy ~20 event containers. What happened? I had unrealistic expectations and did not get a single ship. In a sense, a hard month's grinding down the drain. (On the plus side, I still have 100+ Victory camos today.) I forfeited a GUARANTEED chance to get Kuznetsov, who was definitely popular among the community, for 20 RNG rolls with a CHANCE of ship. In hindsight, it's not worth it at all (don't we always say we made a bad choice "in hindsight"?). No doubt I made a bad choice, and you can criticize me for this, but I still want to share my personal experience. To this day, I don't have Kuznetsov because I don't have enough coal yet. (I prioritize ships over captains especially because of the high 175,000 coal price that's almost worth an Okt Rev purchased with coupon plus Blyskawica, Aigle, and Anshan without.) I collect at least 2 "More Resources" containers per day (sometimes even 3), finish all daily missions almost every single day, have ranked out in every Ranked Sprint season, use coupons for ship purchases, etc. I am NOT angry at the happy players who got a prem ship and posted about it. But I am nearly 100% certain that had I not saw those posts I would have gotten Kuznetsov (and vividly recall switching to the containers after reading those posts; Kuznetsov was my default choice at the start).

Is the practice of blindly posting positive results while ignoring negative ones harmful? Maybe yes maybe no. What does the community think?

Good luck with your RNG drops, all!

(I was indeed encouraged to write this post by the Benham post. Congrats @Markk9! Seems you haven't gotten around to trying her yet?)

I have played 1 game in her so far, I'm not much of DD player.

In 3 years I have received 8 SC's, 2 were Free XP, 1 was the Behman, the rest signals. Yes, I was very surprised to see a T9 ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×