You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shoggoth_pinup

I realized how to balance smoke radar.

7 comments in this topic

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

You know how in real life radar would both detect distant threats as well as make you detected to them?

If you institute a global change that makes radar reveal you to every target it spots for you, suddenly Belfast isn't nearly as powerful. The extreme synergy of its consumables goes out the window. Not only that, but longer radar range would be a double edged sword, making it a risk you are willing to take to use it rather than a no brainer to activate it when you need it.

Okay, now I can sleep. This idea was keeping me awake...

• Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts

It's not a bad idea I guess - although a radar ship can still hide behind a land mass, so I don't believe the change represents the risk to the radar ship with that you think? In the case of the Belfast, it just uses the radar behind land and then still has its smoke for another time.

If there was going to be a change then I still think I would adopt the line of sight principle where land mass will block radar. That means the majority of ships that don't have smoke will need to at least be on a 'target' line of sight to someone (or its radar wouldn't be picking anyone up lol). Those that do have smoke will be a sitting duck for torps (if they don't have hydro) or just blind fire.

For me, radar as it is - isn't a big deal; play around it. It is the numbers in a game that can get silly with all the other mechanics meant to counter concealment; it gets to a point that you can't really play around it. I believe that this is where WG has failed to have an effective MM (one that considers gizmos/consumables) and what leads to lopsided matches.

Of course the other thing that leads to lopsided matches is one team being a lot better than the other :Smile_teethhappy:, but hopefully you get what I meant with the MM thing. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
398 posts
11,076 battles

No, absolutely no. Whats next, if you spot a ship, your spotted? Slippery slope man, I say no.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
7 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

It's not a bad idea I guess - although a radar ship can still hide behind a land mass, so I don't believe the change represents the risk to the radar ship with that you think? In the case of the Belfast, it just uses the radar behind land and then still has its smoke for another time.

If there was going to be a change then I still think I would adopt the line of sight principle where land mass will block radar. That means the majority of ships that don't have smoke will need to at least be on a 'target' line of sight to someone (or its radar wouldn't be picking anyone up lol). Those that do have smoke will be a sitting duck for torps (if they don't have hydro) or just blind fire.

For me, radar as it is - isn't a big deal; play around it. It is the numbers in a game that can get silly with all the other mechanics meant to counter concealment; it gets to a point that you can't really play around it. I believe that this is where WG has failed to have an effective MM (one that considers gizmos/consumables) and what leads to lopsided matches.

Of course the other thing that leads to lopsided matches is one team being a lot better than the other :Smile_teethhappy:, but hopefully you get what I meant with the MM thing. :Smile_honoring:

Thing is, a cruiser behind an island that is also spotted tends to find itself targeted by the further out BBs that can lob over it. The other day I was in a match and happened to spot a Des Moines that was behind an island.

Aaaand then 3 salvos came in. It was actually a bit painful to watch it go from 100 to 0 so fast.

That said, it's mostly an idea to help balance those smoke/radar divisions involving ships like Atlanta, Flint and Belfast. By itself, I personally feel Belfast isn't so bad anymore, and honestly wonder if the HE pen nerf, smoke nerf, plating buffs and more haven't balanced her, at least when it comes to random battle.

Still, fair points. And very true, radar, even stealth radar, isn't that bad in low quantities. I sometimes wonder if CVs being popular would have lead to radar never becoming a thing. RTS CVs did largely the same thing but infinitely better.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[DBRIS]
Members
34 posts
4,084 battles

Something I suggested a while back: at the level where radar starts coming in, give DDs the option to drop smoke in favor of chaff.  Give the chaff about 1/2 the time that radar lasts.