Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

Texas and Iron Duke traverse rate needs a buff

10 comments in this topic

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
524 posts
8,446 battles

Turret turn rate for 180 degrees  on a texas is  60 seconds .  Even with main battery mod 2 to increase turret traverse speed that drops it down to 50 seconds.  Why so slow, its a premium ship !!

The New York, a ship of the same class, has a turn rate of 40 seconds without the main battery mod 2.  Its a ship of the same class, am I missing something ?

Most other teir 5 battleships turret traverse speed is around 45 - 48.6

The exceptions being pyotr velinky on 38.3, Guilio Caesare at 36

The iron Duke on 56 seconds is second to the Texas as far as slowest traverse speeds go.

I was surprised to see that the October Revolution was 42.9 seconds and it seems to turret turn very slowly but in reality its  more above average.

How bout it wargaming, a buff is needed to turret speed for the Texas and the Iron Duke.

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
5,230 posts
22,432 battles
6 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

Turret turn rate for 180 degrees  on a texas is  60 seconds .  Even with main battery mod 2 to increase turret traverse speed that drops it down to 50 seconds.

The New York, a ship of the same class, has a turn rate of 40 seconds without the main battery mod 2.  Its a ship of the same class, am I missing something ?

The iron Duke on 56 seconds is second to the Texas as far as slowest traverse speeds go.

I was surprised to see that the October Revolution was 42.9 seconds and it seems to turret turn very slowly but in reality its  more above average.

How bout it wargaming, a buff is needed to turret speed for the Texas and the Iron Duke.

Texas maybe (to balance out what the rework did to it's ability to farm XP off of plane kills) but Iron Duke is an HE spamming monster that doesn't need to rely on broadsides to farm massive XP...plus it's agility (when kept at full speed instead of camping) way surpassed the Texas for bringing those slow beasts into play.

Not to mention...when you get a broadside cruiser...you don't even need to switch to AP because you can still farm citadels w/the HE.

I can do good in the Duke...that's all it needs to be classified as no buffs needed.

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
524 posts
8,446 battles

I agree the duke is good as a ship, but 56 sec turn rate has nothing to do with how good a HE ship it is, its more about being able to bring guns to target.  If you have to do a quick turn, being able to bring the guns to bear to target faster (being the second slowest bb at that tier)  would be good.  Main guns turn rate is not the same as secondary gun AA issue, its separate.  But some balance is needed for both ships

Edited by DevilD0g

Members
1,607 posts
34,031 battles

Big wall of text... 

I miss the Texas AA. It swatted planes down like it set off a fogger to kill mosquitoes.

When she first came out, she technically rivaled Colorado in AA.

Talk about a flagship of the fleet making sure a plane never gets close. Texas was back then was a no fly zone.

Her turret traverse could use a buff and maybe reload. She is technically slower than New York, so that should be the only difference. And it makes sense, she had more AA.

As for the Duke, I think others have hit the nail on the head. Iron Duke has fun farming HE damage.

WG adds buffs or nerfs based on overall performance.

I am a sad participant of such performance metrics.

WG has found staggering data during the rework of CVs that for the most part, nerfed Hakuryu from having 4 torpedo drops. Mainly because I used them effectively, but WG says others didn't. Not everyone can long drop.

Other changes were done to AP bombers because of slingshot, but I never found that one useful.

What I did inadvertently do was demonstrate the triple citadel can be deadly when dropped on certain spots of ships. It made Hakuryu Alpha a bit high on AP bombers.

I was not aware that I was doing mean damage until I suddenly saw a pattern of nasty hits followed by some players saying the math didn't add up. I checked myself and, yeah, I was exceedingly good at getting that wee extra because I fervently believed it was the explosion radius after the pen. Collateral damage had to be fixed.

And it is one reason during rework that although I did have Midway, I refused to sail it lest WG nerf it hard too.

Only recently have I used Midway, but am not sure what new changes await CVs.

This is a tough one OP. Because players that are enjoying the benefits of fire on Iron Duke are actually hurting the ship.

BBs actually used AP for anti-ship warfare. HE was most useful for bombardments on land.

This is the most divergent of issues with the game. Not using the right shell for anti-ship.

So long as fire damage is a viable alternative to skill, most Players will use it as a crutch because you are constantly firing at above deck.

By the time you get to a decent BB with good AP, you will struggle with getting citadels. Because HE'S citadels are actually less rare than AP ones if you know where to hit.

As of this writing, most new players struggle with getting citadels with AP. Many experienced players do this well.

It's not rocket science, it just takes practice.

I see a future meta where players are getting citadeled regularly and mostly by women on some stream. Mainly because of the visual cues that women excel at that most men struggle to get.

It's true, with a short amount of training, women are far better shooters and can effectively snipe a player from range. If you are a guy, I hope you heed this advice: Don't complain if a woman citadels you. You made an epic mistake sailing wide enough for them to get you. If you cry about it, the rest of us guys are just going to let out a sigh and tell you to sail smarter.

Good luck OP on your petition to change Texas and Iron Duke. I hope WG considers it.

• Cool 1

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
524 posts
8,446 battles
5 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Big wall of text... 

I miss the Texas AA. It swatted planes down like it set off a fogger to kill mosquitoes.

When she first came out, she technically rivaled Colorado in AA.

Talk about a flagship of the fleet making sure a plane never gets close. Texas was back then was a no fly zone.

Her turret traverse could use a buff and maybe reload. She is technically slower than New York, so that should be the only difference. And it makes sense, she had more AA.

As for the Duke, I think others have hit the nail on the head. Iron Duke has fun farming HE damage.

WG adds buffs or nerfs based on overall performance.

I am a sad participant of such performance metrics.

WG has found staggering data during the rework of CVs that for the most part, nerfed Hakuryu from having 4 torpedo drops. Mainly because I used them effectively, but WG says others didn't. Not everyone can long drop.

Other changes were done to AP bombers because of slingshot, but I never found that one useful.

What I did inadvertently do was demonstrate the triple citadel can be deadly when dropped on certain spots of ships. It made Hakuryu Alpha a bit high on AP bombers.

I was not aware that I was doing mean damage until I suddenly saw a pattern of nasty hits followed by some players saying the math didn't add up. I checked myself and, yeah, I was exceedingly good at getting that wee extra because I fervently believed it was the explosion radius after the pen. Collateral damage had to be fixed.

And it is one reason during rework that although I did have Midway, I refused to sail it lest WG nerf it hard too.

Only recently have I used Midway, but am not sure what new changes await CVs.

This is a tough one OP. Because players that are enjoying the benefits of fire on Iron Duke are actually hurting the ship.

BBs actually used AP for anti-ship warfare. HE was most useful for bombardments on land.

This is the most divergent of issues with the game. Not using the right shell for anti-ship.

So long as fire damage is a viable alternative to skill, most Players will use it as a crutch because you are constantly firing at above deck.

By the time you get to a decent BB with good AP, you will struggle with getting citadels. Because HE'S citadels are actually less rare than AP ones if you know where to hit.

As of this writing, most new players struggle with getting citadels with AP. Many experienced players do this well.

It's not rocket science, it just takes practice.

I see a future meta where players are getting citadeled regularly and mostly by women on some stream. Mainly because of the visual cues that women excel at that most men struggle to get.

It's true, with a short amount of training, women are far better shooters and can effectively snipe a player from range. If you are a guy, I hope you heed this advice: Don't complain if a woman citadels you. You made an epic mistake sailing wide enough for them to get you. If you cry about it, the rest of us guys are just going to let out a sigh and tell you to sail smarter.

Good luck OP on your petition to change Texas and Iron Duke. I hope WG considers it.

Thank you for the seven  lines out of 25 that's actually devoted to the topic  thread about Battleship turret turning rates and not carriers which has nothing to do with the topic.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,416 posts
7,365 battles
8 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Turret turn rate for 180 degrees  on a texas is  60 seconds .  Even with main battery mod 2 to increase turret traverse speed that drops it down to 50 seconds.  Why so slow, its a premium ship !!

The New York, a ship of the same class, has a turn rate of 40 seconds without the main battery mod 2.  Its a ship of the same class, am I missing something?

Yes, it's a balancing feature. Same reason Musashi/Yamato turrets are slow.

[INTEL]
Members
2,891 posts
15,673 battles
8 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

28 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Yes, it's a balancing feature. Same reason Musashi/Yamato turrets are slow.

So true.  You don't want to give some people <cough> @Ares1967 <cough> a better weapon than they already have.

[WOLF6]
Members
433 posts
3,382 battles
9 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

am I missing something ?

Yes.

Both Texas and New York have an unmodified traverse rate of 60 seconds.  Iron Duke is 72.

You should look into using the fitting tool at wowsft.com.  It allows you to see the ship stats with or without modifiers easier than in your port.  If you are going to rant, at least start with accurate data.

The standard traverse rate for the current USN BB line is 60 seconds from Wyoming to New Mex.  T7 and above get 45, likely for balancing.

UK are similar, with the T4-T6 getting 72 seconds.  Note that this is the old Warspite traverse before she was buffed, which occurred  before the UK BB line was released.  Orion to QE get 72, likely as an attempt to balance the line's absurd HE.  (T8 and up again get 45).

9 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Why so slow, its a premium ship !!

Interesting.  Even if this one was all in your head, why do you think a premium can't have a downside?

Members
1,607 posts
34,031 battles
6 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Thank you for the seven  lines out of 25 that's actually devoted to the topic  thread about Battleship turret turning rates and not carriers which has nothing to do with the topic.

No problem. 👍

[INTEL]
Members
1,700 posts
14,869 battles
On 7/20/2020 at 12:53 PM, ClassicLib said:

So true.  You don't want to give some people <cough> @Ares1967 <cough> a better weapon than they already have.

Yes.. PLEASE buff Texas turret traverse. Make it easier to print Dev Strikes.

Sign in to follow this