You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

The solution to CVs is to kill them.

78 comments in this topic

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,369 posts
13,219 battles

Rather than take part in another Clan Battles season, my eyes fall on far flatter fare, and new friends.  Joining with members of several clans to launch the first CV hunting season.  It is my hope this new journey reveals new knowledge that can be shared with the community in dealing with these unusual creatures.  The season is open and salty.

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

Members
254 posts
519 battles

Bring it. I'll go get my CV. If this is destroyers only I won't even need Hotel Yankee.

• Haha 1

[CVLUL]
3,369 posts
13,219 battles
22 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

Bring it. I'll go get my CV. If this is destroyers only I won't even need Hotel Yankee.

I'll pass the word to the boys to be on the look out!

We arent picky!

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,642 posts

Appreciate you sharing your tactics and thoughts. Heh heh 

Keep in mind you likely have triggered a response on the highest level. You barely pulled that off. If the Lex had stayed concealed in the rear, you would not have. 

Maybe next time you can go at the reds like a spear, shooting torps left and right, rotating lead position, playing like a Kitikami. Rodeo style. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz
  • Funny 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,022 posts
7,801 battles

Honestly shocked it took this long to start seeing this tactic. Ever since the new DD line dropped, it's like people realized that certain DDs actually have good AA.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,642 posts

Takes a while to get organized. Plus... if they muff it up, a whole lotta people will get raging mad. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,443 posts
14,160 battles
Just now, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Honestly shocked it took this long to start seeing this tactic. Ever since the new DD line dropped, it's like people realized that certain DDs actually have good AA.

Lol you may recall there were some speed boost duration nerfs to the French DDs? It was very likely thanks to some of us using them to rush through enemy lines and sink the enemy CV or CVs right near the start of battles. As long as you had a bit of luck, skill, and helped fire to avoid detection until you reach the CVs you could pull it off with high success rates.

These days though the big thing is to have your CV spot their CV and have BBs rain fire down on the enemy CV. Lol one of the Ranked Sprint battles an enemy CV got out of position / had bad luck at battle start resulting in death by my Roma guns lol. Although more commonly done, but risky is to use Musashi with spotter planes to do it with the risk being if you fail then the spotter will not help you like Cat Fighters will against enemy planes.

Alpha Tester
6,312 posts
3,134 battles
1 hour ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Rather than take part in another Clan Battles season, my eyes fall on far flatter fare, and new friends.  Joining with members of several clans to launch the first CV hunting season.  It is my hope this new journey reveals new knowledge that can be shared with the community in dealing with these unusual creatures.  The season is open and salty.

Something tells me that there are people out there who will go beyond just sharing tactics for how to deal with CV attacks and use this as an excuse to harass and grief CV players, even when they're on the same team, as a form of revenge. There's a lot of reasons to not like CVs, but I wouldn't say there's any reason to wolfpack or even teamkill them.

• Cool 1

[CVLUL]
3,369 posts
13,219 battles
58 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Appreciate you sharing your tactics and thoughts. Heh heh 

Keep in mind you likely have triggered a response on the highest level. You barely pulled that off. If the Lex had stayed concealed in the rear, you would not have. 

Maybe next time you can go at the reds like a spear, shooting torps left and right, rotating lead position, playing like a Kitikami. Rodeo style. 

We messed this one up and thats why it got interesting.  Had we stayed together, ignored our flank at A this CV would have been dead pretty easily.  We took dozens of CV pelts last night.  Most of the time it was straight forward, kill or drive off anything in our way and then run down the CV.  As far as triggering a response, thats great by me.  Anything that forces me to sharpen my skills makes the game more interesting.

[META_]
Members
695 posts
15,116 battles

This is funny you posted this.. I just commented on another post saying you're one of the only CC's I haven't heard beating up CVs as a class.... You deal with them... I pride myself as a dd player that deals with them also not complaining about them

• Meh 1

[CVLUL]
3,369 posts
13,219 battles
40 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Takes a while to get organized. Plus... if they muff it up, a whole lotta people will get raging mad. 

Yeah we are not being bad players by not caring about the game.  We want the CV dead, sub 5 minutes if possible AND the game won.  My 11 games last night had almost a 73% WR, and that was not good, but a sign we are not just trolling.

14 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Something tells me that there are people out there who will go beyond just sharing tactics for how to deal with CV attacks and use this as an excuse to harass and grief CV players, even when they're on the same team, as a form of revenge. There's a lot of reasons to not like CVs, but I wouldn't say there's any reason to wolfpack or even teamkill them.

We have not TKed a single CV, we are hunting with in TOS.  We arent hacking, we are using ships commonly available and playing the game how we want.  The games I have seen and participated in at most insulted CVs as a class, not the player playing them.  I am playing more to further develop the next generation of tactics to use against CVs since we have so many great players contributing to this. 

If people have issue with this frankly I dont care, I'm happier than the Devil in Hell to do it.

• Cool 5

[PVE]
Members
5,202 posts
22,432 battles

Great battle in regards to winning...unfortunately by the time you got to the CV it was a moot point because of the substantial lead your team already had.

Just killing the CV to kill the CV when the game is already in the bag is kinda irrelevant & dort losing his ship w/no real objective being accomplished after the 1st cap was secured (aka the CV was still alive & you had to kill him yourself when the kill was irrelevant) made this attempt pretty much a fail.

Hopefully next battle the CV will be less evasive & your DD/DDs taking him/themselves out of the battle by running to the far side of the map just to hunt the CV leaving the caps less contested & your team w/less up front screening (especially if it is just you 3 & there isn't another DD to head to the other cap to help counterbalance the imbalance created by that tactic) will remind you of why this was always considered to be a bad tactic (CV hunting just for the sake of CV hunting) in RTS days.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,642 posts
13 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Yeah we are not being bad players by not caring about the game.  We want the CV dead, sub 5 minutes if possible AND the game won.  My 11 games last night had almost a 73% WR, and that was not good, but a sign we are not just trolling.

We have not TKed a single CV, we are hunting with in TOS.  We arent hacking, we are using ships commonly available and playing the game how we want.  The games I have seen and participated in at most insulted CVs as a class, not the player playing them.  I am playing more to further develop the next generation of tactics to use against CVs since we have so many great players contributing to this. 

If people have issue with this frankly I dont care, I'm happier than the Devil in Hell to do it.

Actually what I've started to do is scout without dropping then blowing in on the red carrier and dropping Kaga torps. As someone else on the forums said, some CV players consider their carrier (paraphrasing) "airport". A lot of them don't get underway at the start of a match, so you got a bit of time to put some hurt on them before they get to cover, if they cover. 

The new German carriers are prime candidates for this tactic, at least now while they are just random drops by rng boxes. 

[KAPPA]
Members
3,022 posts
7,801 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol you may recall there were some speed boost duration nerfs to the French DDs? It was very likely thanks to some of us using them to rush through enemy lines and sink the enemy CV or CVs right near the start of battles. As long as you had a bit of luck, skill, and helped fire to avoid detection until you reach the CVs you could pull it off with high success rates.

These days though the big thing is to have your CV spot their CV and have BBs rain fire down on the enemy CV. Lol one of the Ranked Sprint battles an enemy CV got out of position / had bad luck at battle start resulting in death by my Roma guns lol. Although more commonly done, but risky is to use Musashi with spotter planes to do it with the risk being if you fail then the spotter will not help you like Cat Fighters will against enemy planes.

Both tactics are ones I expected to see sooner, too. It's part of why I no longer trust the "I'm way too far away to hit easily" expectation. Haven't trusted it in over a year come high tier. One lucky salvo is all it takes, and I had the displeasure of having a Yamato and Kremlin shave off most of my health with a single salvo before.

Also sums up why I dropped Audacious like a bad habit once I learned she was losing 50-60% speed in a turn. If I wanted to play Langley, I'd play Langley. At least Langley doesn't see Yamatos and such. When the bug was fixed this patch, I finally took her back out and had some fun. :cap_haloween:

Edit: Whoops. Forgot to mention that now I immediately turn upon getting spotted. Not a large turn, but enough that it messes up my speed and heading. Auto pilot does it fine if one changes the waypoint a hair.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[RKLES]
Members
12,443 posts
14,160 battles
17 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Both tactics are ones I expected to see sooner, too. It's part of why I no longer trust the "I'm way too far away to hit easily" expectation. Haven't trusted it in over a year come high tier. One lucky salvo is all it takes, and I had the displeasure of having a Yamato and Kremlin shave off most of my health with a single salvo before.

Also sums up why I dropped Audacious like a bad habit once I learned she was losing 50-60% speed in a turn. If I wanted to play Langley, I'd play Langley. At least Langley doesn't see Yamatos and such. When the bug was fixed this patch, I finally took her back out and had some fun. :cap_haloween:

Edit: Whoops. Forgot to mention that now I immediately turn upon getting spotted. Not a large turn, but enough that it messes up my speed and heading. Auto pilot does it fine if one changes the waypoint a hair.

Lol and there is another method I used yesterday where I saw the CV in my Shima and it was just sitting there, so launched 20km torpedoes at it from a little under 20km. Then proceeded to score 4 hits on the CV. And this was really early in the battle. ( Since the Quarantine started I have had 20km torpedoes instead of 12km mounted since it’s like perpetual weekend/ holiday teams. Although oddly enough I think over the course of these months players have gotten a little smarter on average likely thanks to getting more play time logged and learning.)

[CVLUL]
3,369 posts
13,219 battles
16 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Great battle in regards to winning...unfortunately by the time you got to the CV it was a moot point because of the substantial lead your team already had.

Just killing the CV to kill the CV when the game is already in the bag is kinda irrelevant & dort losing his ship w/no real objective being accomplished after the 1st cap was secured (aka the CV was still alive & you had to kill him yourself when the kill was irrelevant) made this attempt pretty much a fail.

Hopefully next battle the CV will be less evasive & your DD/DDs taking him/themselves out of the battle by running to the far side of the map just to hunt the CV leaving the caps less contested & your team w/less up front screening (especially if it is just you 3 & there isn't another DD to head to the other cap to help counterbalance the imbalance created by that tactic) will remind you of why this was always considered to be a bad tactic (CV hunting just for the sake of CV hunting) in RTS days.

Thats how games where the CV running usually plays out.  We have disrupted the enemy so heavily they are in horrible position to control the map.  Three BBs on the North border for example opened the whole flank to my team to follow us.  I grabbed this game since it was interesting, and discusses some of the after action discussions we had to improve our proficiency further.

Had we not split up likely the game would have went much smoother, but our team would have taken more losses.  Again we are not just ignoring the rest of the game.  We are shooting to get the CVs AND win the game.  A normal WR for our divs is 80% minimum.

[CVLUL]
3,369 posts
13,219 battles

Just to update, we had a div on kill an enemy Lexington 3:40 into the battle.  Thats the current record.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,022 posts
7,801 battles
6 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol and there is another method I used yesterday where I saw the CV in my Shima and it was just sitting there, so launched 20km torpedoes at it from a little under 20km. Then proceeded to score 4 hits on the CV. And this was really early in the battle. ( Since the Quarantine started I have had 20km torpedoes instead of 12km mounted since it’s like perpetual weekend/ holiday teams. Although oddly enough I think over the course of these months players have gotten a little smarter on average likely thanks to getting more play time logged and learning.)

And this is why I kick myself every time I realize my auto pilot stopped. That's the sort of target Asashios dream of.

Good job punishing that CV! Bad play deserves it. :cap_haloween:

[POP]
Members
937 posts
8,427 battles
6 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Thats how games where the CV running usually plays out.  We have disrupted the enemy so heavily they are in horrible position to control the map.  Three BBs on the North border for example opened the whole flank to my team to follow us.  I grabbed this game since it was interesting, and discusses some of the after action discussions we had to improve our proficiency further.

Had we not split up likely the game would have went much smoother, but our team would have taken more losses.  Again we are not just ignoring the rest of the game.  We are shooting to get the CVs AND win the game.  A normal WR for our divs is 80% minimum.

"There is no counter to CV"

"CV are too influential"

Looked like you guys figured out how to 'git good"

Thanks for the video and tips.  Pretty much confirmed what many who play all ship classes have been saying for a long time.  A change in tactics/strategy makes a world of difference. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,443 posts
14,160 battles
5 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

And this is why I kick myself every time I realize my auto pilot stopped. That's the sort of target Asashios dream of.

Good job punishing that CV! Bad play deserves it. :cap_haloween:

Yeah what was really hilarious was I figured I would hit something as enemy enemy ships were moving back and forth that I was almost  guaranteed to hit something. And this was all while I was helping cap one of the cap zones. So you would have thought that the CV might have realized Shimakaze were in the battle, cap zone in front their spawn point was getting capped, torpedoes that had to of been spotted by their team were stealing through the water in a very tight formation I had made to ensure hots on the CV. And yet the CV did not notice any of these red flags.... :fish_palm:

Yet another reason to use Shima 20km torpedoes is nobody ever seems to realize that torpedoes can have that kind of range so even if they are aware of toroefoes in the water they all too often may think the torpedoes will stop short of them.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,022 posts
7,801 battles
15 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah what was really hilarious was I figured I would hit something as enemy enemy ships were moving back and forth that I was almost  guaranteed to hit something. And this was all while I was helping cap one of the cap zones. So you would have thought that the CV might have realized Shimakaze were in the battle, cap zone in front their spawn point was getting capped, torpedoes that had to of been spotted by their team were stealing through the water in a very tight formation I had made to ensure hots on the CV. And yet the CV did not notice any of these red flags.... :fish_palm:

Yet another reason to use Shima 20km torpedoes is nobody ever seems to realize that torpedoes can have that kind of range so even if they are aware of toroefoes in the water they all too often may think the torpedoes will stop short of them.

Sums up why I never trust torps to stop. Sure, one can memorize ranges, but that requires one to trust they know who sent them to be the only one in range. Also sums up why Shima and Asashio are the DDs I fear most. One lucky missed torp salvo might hurt me bad.

Alpha Tester
6,312 posts
3,134 battles

1: No one, regardless of the ship they're playing, wants to be focused down like an elk being hunted by a pack of wolves. The issue I have with this is that it could very well encourage people to do just that, and even if it's against an unpopular class it's still wrong because it's a class being used by people that want to have a good game same as anyone else and who, again, same as anyone else, can't have a good game if they're being singularly focused down.

2: At no point did I say that you were teamkilling or hacking. My concern was that people might take this a step too far and use this to try and justify teamkilling.

[PVE]
Members
5,202 posts
22,432 battles
37 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Just to update, we had a div on kill an enemy Lexington 3:40 into the battle.  Thats the current record.

That video should have accompanied the title...I was expecting a quick CV annihilation based on the title...what you presented was exceptional DD annihilation from a group of skilled players that was entertaining to watch (which is why my response I introed w/"Greta battle in regards to winning"...because that is what kept all of those west side BBs cowering up north & gave the advantage that was the deciding factor of the assured win from the very beginning of the battle...not the annihilation of the CV when they were already down 3 ships to 8).

The killing of the CV was kinda anti clamactic by the time it actually happened in that example.

38 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

"There is no counter to CV"

"CV are too influential"

Looked like you guys figured out how to 'git good"

Thanks for the video and tips.  Pretty much confirmed what many who play all ship classes have been saying for a long time.  A change in tactics/strategy makes a world of difference. 

That video didn't really debunk the CVs influence as the CV spotting dort before he got into a position to carry out his plans of sinking it (despite his skirting the cap to not be discovered) kinda made that a moot point.

And these guys were "Gud" long before the CV rebork anyway.

I do believe @generaldortstill is the only player to ever rank out on all servers in the same season  :Smile_honoring: (-: & I'm also pretty sure he's tired of me bringing it up...every time somebody mentions Nagato it reminds me of it though..irrelevant here's Nagato wasn't mentioned & just him being in the video kinda brought him to my attention this time :-)

Also...their team also had a CV which is oftentimes disregarded as irrelevant in the "CVs are OP threads".

[PVE]
Members
5,202 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Gratz...getting 4 hits from a 20km torp spread is about as RNG lucky as it gets.

[POP]
Members
937 posts
8,427 battles
14 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

That video should have accompanied the title...I was expecting a quick CV annihilation based on the title...what you presented was exceptional DD annihilation from a group of skilled players that was entertaining to watch (which is why my response I introed w/"Greta battle in regards to winning"...because that is what kept all of those west side BBs cowering up north & gave the advantage that was the deciding factor of the assured win from the very beginning of the battle...not the annihilation of the CV when they were already down 3 ships to 8).

The killing of the CV was kinda anti clamactic by the time it actually happened in that example.

That video didn't really debunk the CVs influence as the CV spotting dort before he got into a position to carry out his plans of sinking it (despite his skirting the cap to not be discovered) kinda made that a moot point.

And these guys were "Gud" long before the CV rebork anyway.

I do believe @generaldortstill is the only player to ever rank out on all servers in the same season  :Smile_honoring: (-: & I'm also pretty sure he's tired of me bringing it up...every time somebody mentions Nagato it reminds me of it though..irrelevant here's Nagato wasn't mentioned & just him being in the video kinda brought him to my attention this time :-)

Also...their team also had a CV which is oftentimes disregarded as irrelevant in the "CVs are OP threads".

I agree CV's can be influential however you just saw a 3 man div (not including a cv) boast an 80% wr.  This shows CV are not the only factor to consider.

I never meant to insinuate that those guys were not good.  I play all classes and have found Kuro's videos immensely helpful.   I was just pointing out the irony of that statement. 

100% agree with the last statement.   Unless we are talking about one of the ultra rare super unicum CV pilots,  how "good" the enemy CV is has more to do with how friendly ships play against him than his actual skill.

Edited by HallaSnackbar