You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

When a team does everything wrong but still somehow wins

19 comments in this topic

[ZUOSI]
Beta Testers
1,259 posts
1,766 battles

I consider it lucky. A case of the wrong people doing the wrong thing but not as wrong as the other people.

In the course of 1 minute I saw three things happen that just baffled me.

1. A DD was spotted in 6-10km range of 3 bb's, 2 cruisers, and 2 dd's and no one shot at him

2. A Sinop (top tier ship in the game) sat full broadside with 11k health from only 8-10km away to a Colorado and Nagato and numerous cruisers and no one shot at him.

3. A completely spotted Lazo with only 100hp pumped HE into 2 cruisers with half health each from 12km away and neither shot at him because they were determined to kill a CV with their torps.

We still won though, through capping. We got stupid lucky and I just can't even.

[FORM]
Members
1,442 posts
10,345 battles

Sometimes the other team just really wants to lose more.

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Members
663 posts
5,460 battles
3 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Pretty much this.  Seen a lot of it since I came back to the game.

[ZUOSI]
Beta Testers
1,259 posts
1,766 battles
5 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Apparently. I ended up chasing down the DD in my Guilio Cesear because no one else would handle him and yelled at the Nagato to shoot the sinop that was now 7km away unloading 16 inch into him while sitting full broadside still. He wanted to play ring around the rosie with a 3/4 health enemy lyon instead. We managed to win by capture points before I could direct the cruisers to the Lazo.

Members
2,803 posts
15,036 battles

The other team had more potatoes than yours. Plain and simple. 

Members
266 posts
520 battles
41 minutes ago, otakuben said:

and neither shot at him because they were determined to kill a CV with their torps.

Yeah this happens a lot, people shoot the CV despite the CV being the only one not shooting at them. When I play my CV, this is sometimes what causes my team to win.

Btw, does a Langley going straight down the middle from the beginning of a game count as wrong? I might have a match story that puts yours to shame...

[WORX]
Members
9,823 posts
17,795 battles

I know the feeling, I posted a two brothers battle awhile back in were

• Everyone did the conga to one side
  • They went up the middle
  • Our DD torp  a friendly

Even with all that fails, we still manage to win the match...

[PVE]
Members
5,230 posts
22,432 battles
29 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I know the feeling, I posted a two brothers battle awhile back in were

• Everyone did the conga to one side
  • They went up the middle
  • Our DD torp  a friendly

Even with all that fails, we still manage to win the match...

Going up the middle on 2 brothers is not always a bad thing (unless there is a CV I'm the match...then it's straight up retarded).

If all doesn't work out right it can end up being a large waste of time but w/a ship w/good maneuverability to perform GTFO maneuvers if needed it can either be a good distraction or a wonderful opportunity for some flanking broadside shots to the left while protected from fire on the right by a very large island...if the reds all go left & right at the start & nobody stays behind to watch the center...GTFO maneuvers are best if they do so again only agile ships should try unless you have backup in a heavy slower ship.

I don't usually do it myself but every once in awhile (especially if the team lemmings to the left as you become a good flank assist) I'll get a wild hair to give it a try.

[WORX]
Members
9,823 posts
17,795 battles
1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Going up the middle on 2 brothers is not always a bad thing (unless there is a CV I'm the match...then it's straight up retarded).

If all doesn't work out right it can end up being a large waste of time but w/a ship w/good maneuverability to perform GTFO maneuvers if needed it can either be a good distraction or a wonderful opportunity for some flanking broadside shots to the left while protected from fire on the right by a very large island...if the reds all go left & right at the start & nobody stays behind to watch the center...GTFO maneuvers are best if they do so again only agile ships should try unless you have backup in a heavy slower ship.

I don't usually do it myself but every once in awhile (especially if the team lemmings to the left as you become a good flank assist) I'll get a wild hair to give it a try.

Its not a bad thing, I didn't want to convey that narrative... Problem was, I was in a BB, the YAMATO... So I had to go across the map, while taking pew pew shots at the red ships.

I got a good chunk of PD that game... I was able to see the laughter in the insanity I just experienced after the fact.

it was fun to the others in the game, for me... I was like :Smile_facepalm::Smile_unsure: Then :etc_swear: it CHARGE!:Smile_izmena:.

It turned out as one of the fun moments in a high tier match, in a Yamato no less.

I wanted it featured in the mighty Jingles as "why you haff to be mad" series... But it was not selected.

[RLGN]
Members
13,777 posts
23,991 battles
1 hour ago, black_hull4 said:

Yeah this happens a lot, people shoot the CV despite the CV being the only one not shooting at them. When I play my CV, this is sometimes what causes my team to win.

Btw, does a Langley going straight down the middle from the beginning of a game count as wrong? I might have a match story that puts yours to shame...

I’m starting to realize you can leverage your CV hp to draw fire from your allies, because people have developed a pathological ‘SQUIRREL! KILL IT!’ attitude whenever a CV is spotted...

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
266 posts
520 battles
5 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

What if the CV is the one going up the middle? YES I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN ON 2 BROTHERS. The CV won(it was a Graf Zeppelin).

[WOLF3]
Members
25,751 posts
22,646 battles

sHIWhLer.jpg

There are teams out there that are so determined to lose that no amount of bad play by the other team nor good play from members of its own team will stop them.  I seen this happen so many times that I got fed up with it, didn't want to deal with it anymore.

[PVE]
Members
5,230 posts
22,432 battles
2 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

What if the CV is the one going up the middle? YES I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN ON 2 BROTHERS. The CV won(it was a Graf Zeppelin).

OK...in that case we'll let the retarded tag slide.

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
25,751 posts
22,646 battles
1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

OK...in that case we'll let the retarded tag slide.

It's still a dumb move even if the other team was too stupid to capitalize on it.

[PVE]
Members
5,230 posts
22,432 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's still a dumb move even if the other team was too stupid to capitalize on it.

Bet he didn't need to wait very long for planes to get back to the ship though :-)

Members
266 posts
520 battles

even if the other team was too stupid to capitalize on it.

No, 2 battleships saw the CV coming and thought "hooray, Free XP!" So they went into the slot to kill him.

The first battleship proceeded to lose a gunfight to the carrier and his death put the CV's team on 1000 points.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,751 posts
22,646 battles
4 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Bet he didn't need to wait very long for planes to get back to the ship though :-)

Depends though, on the AA.  GZ vs Arizona is Free Airstrikes.  But something like NC can make it costly.

3 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

No, 2 battleships saw the CV coming and thought "hooray, Free XP!" So they went into the slot to kill him.

The first battleship proceeded to lose a gunfight to the carrier and his death put the CV's team on 1000 points.

There are people that are simply that bad.

Case in point:  We were in a tight game, time, score, cap situation was on our side.  However, we were down to a DD against 4 enemy ships.  Our Yugumo only had 2k HP left.  Buuuuttt... The enemy team had a healthy Cleveland and 3 other regular surface ships:

No DDs, no CVs for the reds.

All our Yugumo had to do was RUN and we'd win.  Nothing could catch him.  The reds didn't have the time, cap situation, score to win.  What does our DD decide to do?

I see him head towards the enemy ships.

I'm begging him to turn around and run.  I reminded him they still had a Cleveland, and Cleve is pretty stealthy herself, and had Radar.  He Radars her and all the other ships will pile on.

None of the reds could catch him.  Run and he'd win.  Not only would it be a win, he'd get Solo Warrior, a very elusive award to get.

So this guy decides to initiate a gunfight.

At 2k HP left.

Naturally, we lose.

sHIWhLer.jpg&key=fc829ada259295ce9432e28

[PVE]
Members
5,230 posts
22,432 battles
9 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

Well...he wasn't wrong about the other team being too stupid to capitalize on it.

Depends though, on the AA.  GZ vs Arizona is Free Airstrikes.  But something like NC can make it costly.

sHIWhLer.jpg&key=fc829ada259295ce9432e28

But I just said his planes would return quicker...that only applies to the ones that survive regardless of how many he loses.

If he won the gun battle I'm guessing they were lower tier...or else extremely low on HP before they rushed him.

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,378 posts
9,460 battles

In world of warships, its not about who wants to try harder and win.  Its about which team wants to lose badly more.  Welcome to:  "The thinking man's shooter" :Smile_teethhappy: