You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sonoskay

Season 17 ranked.

17 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,478 posts
3,171 battles

Just a quick question.

I dont have a ton of tier 8s but i have a couple. The two im most comfortable  with are the atago and the Agami. Both ships are old at this point and was curious  if they got power creeped?

Otherwise. What ships would you recommend  for season 17?

What are your favorites for  tier 8 ranked?

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
71 posts
3,897 battles

If you are comfortable with Atago, then play Atago. It's not a bad pick after all, it burns nicely, it can push late game and it can survive for a while thanks to it's good armor + heals.

Ranked has no magic ships to be honest, I'd say pick the one you like most and play it as if it was a random match with a little extra (and unnecessary) intensity.

• Cool 1

Members
330 posts
23,090 battles

i think its a tier 9 ranked sprint coming up next...3 vs 3

Edited by arch4random
no reason

[DDMAF]
Members
2,823 posts
16,146 battles

Atago will be an excellent ship for 3 v 3.

[-K-]
Members
8,189 posts
13,489 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

I'm heavily inclined to try Z-46 in a 3v3 format, especially in Domination mode.

1 hour ago, Torenico said:

But he's talking about the next season, which is going to be 7v7 Tier VIII.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Calendar#Ranked_Battles.2C_Season_17

Lo Yang will always be an excellent choice for T8 Ranked.  Kidd as well if CVs are common.

[RKLES]
Members
12,478 posts
14,198 battles
2 hours ago, Sonoskay said:

Just a quick question.

I dont have a ton of tier 8s but i have a couple. The two im most comfortable  with are the atago and the Agami. Both ships are old at this point and was curious  if they got power creeped?

Otherwise. What ships would you recommend  for season 17?

What are your favorites for  tier 8 ranked?

2 hours ago, Torenico said:

If you are comfortable with Atago, then play Atago. It's not a bad pick after all, it burns nicely, it can push late game and it can survive for a while thanks to it's good armor + heals.

Ranked has no magic ships to be honest, I'd say pick the one you like most and play it as if it was a random match with a little extra (and unnecessary) intensity.

While this is true, there are some ships you want to avoid using though as they are a recipe for disaster or at least a lot of unnecessary added hardships in the upcoming tier 8 Ranked. You want to avoid using Deep Water torpedoes as some Ranked battles can be extremely DD heavy sometimes, and deep water torpedoes but you at massive disadvantage if 90% of your opponents end up being DDs.

Kagero and the French DDs are bad since they lack sufficient AA to fend off the inevitable CV battles which in my experience in Ranked you can see CVs 25% to 50% of all your Ranked battles which can turn into a lot of CVs as you often will play 100+ battles in a Ranked season. Although let me be clear it’s only the standard Kagero as well as Asashio that are bad in tier 8 Ranked, the Harekaze with the 100mm Akizuki guns is quite good in Ranked thanks to be able to put up respectable AA defense when needed. 

And speaking of AA make sure you bring a bit of upgraded AA with you. Like my Atago for example has the Basic Fire Training Skill to give it enough added AA output to be reasonably able to shoot down aircraft. With only 7 vs 7 match ups and CVs being possible players have a bit more of a responsibility to bring better than stock AA into battles or else the CV can have a field day.

As far as being concerned able Power creep the IJN nation being one of the original nations in the game actually holds up really well as they rely as always on good solid attributes instead of 1 trick gimmicks that can render some of the newer ship nations unable to withstand the test of time. I do ensure Atago gets a little added edge by using Admiral Yamamoto which gives added charge to all consumables if you score a First Blood and has saved me in Ranked before when I was able to survive exclusively thanks to that extra HP healing. 

[A-I-M]
Members
2,731 posts
20,987 battles

Cossack, Bayard, Mainz, Kutuzov, maybe some Atago. I ranked out quickly in Sprint with Cossack. 

There will be a lot of Massas and Tirps to burn and torp. 

Edited by Pugilistic

[-PF-]
Members
47 posts
3,187 battles
On 7/19/2020 at 9:20 PM, Steeler_Nation_USA said:

Mass/Kutuzov/Irian for me. 

3 ships that I love. 

But I am wondering if the Kutuzov will hold up?

Members
2 posts
686 battles

Well i can say this. I've been mainly and only been playing the North Carolina in Rank Battles. It's not bad and it's fun playing the North Carolina, well of course in my own opinion. If you want to play the North Carolina in Rank Battles then you need to learn how to use it and how to really play it in Rank Battles. One small choice can impact the entirety of the Battle, but yes of course you can play the North Carolina in your own way and if it works i guess then play it that way but don't be blind to any changes.

Edited by DingDongers

[DUDS]
Members
99 posts
8,212 battles

What ships to play in Tier VIII ranked: Massachusetts, any CV, any DD, Mainz, Kutuzov...maaayyyybbbbeee an Odin.

What NOT to play?  Any other ship, if you have any dreams of moving beyond Rank 10.  

[AXANR]
Members
3,597 posts
21,683 battles
2 hours ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

What ships to play in Tier VIII ranked: Massachusetts, any CV, any DD, Mainz, Kutuzov...maaayyyybbbbeee an Odin.

What NOT to play?  Any other ship, if you have any dreams of moving beyond Rank 10.  

I've seen you say variations on this in multiple threads, and it's hilariously untrue. I'm at rank 7 and steadily climbing using Bismarck and Cossack,  which have been my two go-to ships for tier 8 competitive for years. I will take Bismarck over Mass any day; they're both strong ships, Bis fits my playstyle more. And yes, I know you said any DD, but my Bismarck's done most of the heavy lifting; I've only been taking Cossack out when I need a break from it. 

[VBG]
Members
1 post
1,821 battles

This is my first Ranked season and I've been playing the hell out of the Benson with good success. I see a lot of the Biz/Mass/Tirp folks around but the Chapayev and Tallinn seem to do well in the right hands. Atago is a beast, of course. Don't see many playing Hipper, but I've had fun in it...though I seem to end up in matches with reckless DDs and quickly go back to Benson. 

Considering buying Alaska for the IX sprint...