You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sonoskay

Hawkins and Onward.

7 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,478 posts
3,258 battles

4 months late, i  go in blind to play the hawkins, and i love the thing.  Ive gotten  more out of it than i have any right to.  So i decided to check out the wiki. The wiki doesnt have much kind to say. And after coming  here neither do the forums, and forthat matter, the tree in general seems to be one a lot dont like.

So  i have to ask, is there anyone who  likes the  heavy line? Because  even though i like the Hawkins, it made me trepidatous  to continue the line. Especially  to tier 8.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,420 posts
14,165 battles

Yeah, I like them but have been spending more time in BB's recently for event grinding. The Hawkins is an odd bird to say the least and is really from an earlier era and I think should have been a tier 4 but it does have the WWII AA refit which makes it painful for planes that come near her even the tier 6's.

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
9 minutes ago, Sonoskay said:

4 months late, i  go in blind to play the hawkins, and i love the thing.  Ive gotten  more out of it than i have any right to.  So i decided to check out the wiki. The wiki doesnt have much kind to say. And after coming  here neither do the forums, and forthat matter, the tree in general seems to be one a lot dont like.

So  i have to ask, is there anyone who  likes the  heavy line? Because  even though i like the Hawkins, it made me trepidatous  to continue the line. Especially  to tier 8.

Great to hear you enjoy the Hawkins!

1) You're not 4 months late! Not everybody (me included) grinds the newest tech-tree line as soon as it is released.

2) The Wiki page for Hawkins is relatively complete when compared to the pages for other ships, I want to say, though it can definitely be improved. I don't know if I completely agree with "As mentioned, prudent use of her Repair Party consumable can bring her "back from the dead" later in the battle." I want to say her heal is not powerful enough to fully "bring her back from the dead". At minimum, it's not the same heal ("superheal") found on T8+ British cruisers and T9+ battleships. Low-tier ships tend not to get that much attention (and if you look around, some don't even have Wiki performance summaries). (A pro listed is "British Repair Party consumable", which given the reputation of British heal again makes me think of superheal. Rather, simply having a heal on a T5 cruiser is worth mentioning.)

3) The tree itself isn't generally one players don't like. Maybe Hawkins is one players don't like (I wouldn't contest this), but at T8+, things are much better because of the superheal. I would say Hawkins doesn't reflect the high-tier aspects of the British heavy cruiser line well. I don't have Drake or Goliath yet, but I'm liking Albemarle so far. (I can't comment on how Surrey and Devonshire are because I FXPd them. I very rarely FXP ships and did so not because I thought Hawkins was bad but because there was an event that had an incentive for having Albemarle.)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,420 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

Great to hear you enjoy the Hawkins!

1) You're not 4 months late! Not everybody (me included) grinds the newest tech-tree line as soon as it is released.

On the tier 6 Devonshire with the RN heavies, Tier 8 Amalfi with the pasta cruisers, and on the tier 6 Vasteras with the IKEA fleet.

Alpha Tester
1,478 posts
3,258 battles

One of my favorite parts of the ship is the pretty amazing AA. It helps for the  somewhat frustrating  CV  issue at lower teirs.

Yeah the healing isnt as significant  as the wiki likes to state. I was able to bring myself back to a very healthy amount of HP after two heals.

Though i think maybe the best part of the ship that i found is its poor reputation.

Ive surprised  more than one ship with  the  torpedoes, and its turning radius  is surprisingly  tight.

Its not as fast as most cruisers maybe but its certainly  nimble.

Ive found it makes for an excellent  DD bully.

Otherwise   the other posts that talk about the albemarel claim its  awful.

Though those same people also found the emerald to be a bad ship. I thought it made for a very good ambusher.

Members
53 posts
3,132 battles

I liked the Hawkins, that armor is the stuff of memes. I have put British CAs back on my todo list as I’ve gotten abit tired of of grinding battleships. From what I gather, can be tanky as hell and can damage anything it wants, also has been represented well in the AL side of the collab.

• Cool 1

Members
202 posts
7,297 battles

41% win rate in Devonshire.

32% on the Hawkins.

I started out loving them. Then it was like open season on British Heavy Cruisers. I hide, I try to group up. Nope it's a shell magnet. 

Only thing I'm doing worse is DD's and Japanese Cruisers and Destroyers. 

If there's a play style to them I haven't figured it out. 

I have more fun with British and American light cruisers.