You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Praise_Ashley_Sky

Should I have fought/encountered a CV during my protected status?

26 comments in this topic

[NMIAI]
Members
18 posts
896 battles

To the glorious community,

I am a new player to the game and I really enjoy it.  The graphics and community so far have been pretty cool.  However, I am a little concerned with how new players are indoctrinated and or brought on board.  I was in a "protected status" while playing t4 ships.   With protected status I focused on playing us navy ships, the best in my opinion in history.  That aside, I engaged with other destroyers, cruisers, and battleships.  What class did I not see, not even in a bot format?  Your guessed it, aircraft carriers, affectionately known as CVs.  I found this very perplexing when behold, I get my first t5 Nicholas and am immediately swarmed by two t6 CVs, I don't recall their types, Ranger and something else.  Thinking its a fluke I hit the battle button again, but to my general dismay this is repeated over and over and against t6 CVs I was pitted to learn and hate them the hard way.  Searching through comments and chatting with others, it appears there are a slew of mediocre players who have flocked to CV to wreck the face of players like me coming into the game.  My indoctrination didnt start with t4 however, I was catapulted directly into the mid tiers.  When I got the Farragut and Dallas, little changed, except now I have to contend with t8 CVs.  How is this supposed to be fun or fair for a newer player like me?  How and when was I supposed to get bot experience as seen with the other ship types in random battle protected status?  Am I missing something or is this working as intended and built to frustrate and drive me from the game?

Thoughts and encouragement for a demoralized player would be most welcome!

Edited by Praise_Ashley_Sky
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 3

[PVE]
Members
7,359 posts

WG wants CVs in the game.  You have to come to terms with that, or this game isn't for you.  I know that may not sound like encouragement, but it is the reality of the situation so its the best advice I have to offer.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,299 posts
10,748 battles
6 minutes ago, Praise_Ashley_Sky said:

I am a new player to the game and I really enjoy it.  The graphics and community so far have been pretty cool.  However, I am a little concerned with how new players are indoctrinated and or brought on board.  I was in a "protected status" while playing t4 ships.   With protected status I focused on playing us navy ships, the best in my opinion in history.  That aside, I engaged with other destroyers, cruisers, and battleships.  What class did I not see, not even in a bot format?  Your guessed it, aircraft carriers, affectionately known as CVs.  I found this very perplexing when behold, I get my first t5 Nicholas and am immediately swarmed by two t6 CVs, I don't recall their types, Ranger and something else.  Thinking its a fluke I hit the battle button again, but to my general dismay this is repeated over and over and against t6 CVs I was pitted to learn and hate them the hard way.  Searching through comments and chatting with others, it appears there are a slew of mediocre players who have flocked to CV to wreck the face of players like me coming into the game.  My indoctrination didnt start with t4 however, I was catapulted directly into the mid tiers.  When I got the Farragut and Dallas, little changed, except now I have to contend with t8 CVs.  How is this supposed to be fun or fair for a newer player like me?  How and when was I supposed to get bot experience as seen with the other ship types in random battle protected status?  Am I missing something or is this working as intended and built to frustrate and drive me from the game?

You wouldn’t have learned anything from Bot CVs in all honesty. In coop if you get targeted by a bot CV they will miss unless you want them to hit you. Like you need to TRY to let them hit you. All bot CVs would do is show you spotting which you would already experience in randoms.

Members
883 posts
5,968 battles

You can do co-op or scenarios if still ironing out ship handling. Otherwise, you could try them yourself and see how they work and how they can be countered. Flashing AA, last minute wiggling, angling, etc are little things to help but a good CV will get the first attack through. Luckily you chose the Americans which have great AA on later tier ships. Unfortunately at T6 nothing has great AA except maybe the carriers themselves. If you seriously want to get really good though, you’ll eventually play all ship types. This effects your network of understanding throughout your games.

Edited by KnifeInUrNeck
  • Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,397 posts
7,154 battles

Wouldn't matter, Bot CVs are pretty dumb. 

To be honest there should be a small tutorial on maneuvering, gunnery, AA and CVs and objectives. 

Sadly you just have to bear through it. Try having your AA off in Farragut and sticking near friendlies in Dallas, that's about as much as I can say.

Keep in mind that if a CV really wants you sunk, sooner or later you will be sunk, but at least you can make it just not worth the effort.

[META_]
Members
230 posts
1,428 battles

That is strange.  I've had nothing but two carrier per team games since the German CV thang started.  Yesterday on multiple occasions I actually saw 35 CVs queued up.  I am playing Randoms though.  Maybe you are in COOP or some other mode.

Personally, I would recommend not taking the bait on the Premiums.  Maybe mess with them a bit, but use the tech tree to learn the game.  Play some Tier IV and V - which will pit you against Tier IV and VI carriers.

As far as dealing with CVs I am following Whiskey Gaming Lounge's advice.  I am training my Captain with 'Preventative Maintenance' with my 1st Skill Point.  That allows me to use my 1st equipment slot for 'Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1' which improves the AA Mount Survivability by 100%.  I thought that was a dump stat, but decided to give it a try.  I am guessing that the CV attacks routinely blow out AA mounts and this gives them a solid chance to survive and strike again.  It does seem to work.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,332 posts
14,924 battles

Protected status ends when you play a tier 5 or higher ship. Also why the hidden stats?

• Thanks 2

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,620 posts
13,183 battles
1 hour ago, Praise_Ashley_Sky said:

Well, you can run into CV's at any tier that they can get into. So, tier 3 to 10.

If your in  protected matchmaking, the CV either has to be a bot, or a player that qualifies for protected match making as well.

Noob protected match making ends after a certain number of games, and after a certain tier, I have no idea of what the numbers are, when I started to play you got thrown in the deep end as shallow as that may have been at the time. There's nothing stopping a brand new player from buying a high tier premium, and launching themselves into the deep end as soon as they can que for randoms. Protected match making by tier ends after tier 4, so a tier 5 ship can see tier 7's.

As far as hearing about a slew of mediocre players flocking to CV's because CV's take no skill to use, I've only got one piece of advice, get a CV, try it out, and form your own opinion. I myself learned how to use CV's in Closed Beta and picked them back up early on in the RTS days as a defensive measure, if you kept getting stuck with the worse CV on your team, better to bring your own CV and stop complaining about Match Maker hating you. I ended up as a passable player with them, not the best, but nowhere near the worst, and I still had them when the rework hit. Understanding how they work made me a better player.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,332 posts
14,924 battles
19 minutes ago, The_Jolly_Scourge said:

Its not a real account.

I think it is real as Stats & Numbers came up with the stats but then the account is private message came up making me think this is a reroll as the quick glance that I saw showed a rather high purple WR. I think that the OP was surprised when they got tossed into the deep end instead of being able to continue clubbing seals in the shallow end.

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Cool 2

[V_V_V]
Members
1,076 posts
17,753 battles
1 hour ago, Praise_Ashley_Sky said:

Working as intended.  Get your own CV and wreak havoc, or learn to adapt.

• Thanks 1

[SHPFC]
Members
285 posts
9,470 battles
2 hours ago, Praise_Ashley_Sky said:

My indoctrination didnt start with t4 however, I was catapulted directly into the mid tiers.  When I got the Farragut and Dallas, little changed, except now I have to contend with t8 CVs.  How is this supposed to be fun or fair for a newer player like me?  How and when was I supposed to get bot experience as seen with the other ship types in random battle protected status?  Am I missing something or is this working as intended and built to frustrate and drive me from the game?

You should find a new game. If that is your only complaint as you went up in tiers the game got harder. Yup find a new game. Or on the other hand you could learn to play the game. And I would take it your still under 200 games. That just means in the protected status that you are playing with players of similar skill and games. Not to say a True Seal Clubber wouldn't just make a new account and smash faces all day until 200 games was met.

Frosty

• Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,653 battles
3 hours ago, Praise_Ashley_Sky said:

Unfortunately you demoralized yourself by passing T4 while in protected status.

Protected ends at 200 games/T5.

Start a bunch of other lines & run them to T4 so you get practice in all ship types & nation's (& the basics of the game) before your protected status wears off.

It's not a race to the higher tiers...the faster you get to them w/out practice the quicker you will lose face.

BTW...t freehe matchmaker is designed to only make you bottom tier 40% of the time (the last 20 games are taken into account & no more than 8 of the last 20 will you be bottom tier...as in a T5 In a T7 battle)...but...there is a 20 game calibration period (for each tier...& for each battle mode...so you can't work off the 20 random battles in co-op) before that kicks in & odds are in those 1st 20 battles you will be bottom tier most if not all of them...which is why you didn't see any T4 CVs & only T6 CVs on those T5 matches...& also why you were probably seeing T8 CVs in any of your T6 battles that had CVs.

Wow...just reread your post & it seems you were aware you were in protected status (you even put quotation marks around it...how did I miss that the 1st time) until T4...so why did you continue to play higher tiers while getting your face wrecked if you knew you could jump back down below T4 & not have that happen?

Also...for somebody who's posting for the 1st time you seem to have a lot of the forum vernacular down pretty good...you must have done a LOT of searching through comments & chatting w/others.

• Cool 1

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles
4 hours ago, Praise_Ashley_Sky said:

You won't have a protected status beyond the initial and frankly it's a detriment to you and your thread demonstrates it. You no longer have it and you are not prepared to deal with the challenges you face.  My advice is to toughen up as if you think t4 is bad you haven't seen anything yet. You'll be instantly deleted with a single mistake as you move up the tiers.

Edited by _Caliph_

[REVY]
Members
2,842 posts
15,085 battles
4 hours ago, Praise_Ashley_Sky said:

2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Protected status ends when you play a tier 5 or higher ship. Also why the hidden stats?

^^ this

Had you remained in T4, you likely would have eventually seen a T4 CV as even 'new' players could get one and still be 'protected'

As soon as you hit T5, you instantly went from Freshmen football to JV.

As you also got Dallas and can see T8, welcome to Varsity.

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles
3 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

WG wants CVs in the game.  You have to come to terms with that, or this game isn't for you.  I know that may not sound like encouragement, but it is the reality of the situation so its the best advice I have to offer.

Isn't it amazing how in just the other thread I highlighted how bad design protecting new players from CVs was and low and behold we have a new player demonstrating why.

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,664 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I think it is real as Stats & Numbers came up with the stats but then the account is private message came up making me think this is a reroll as the quick glance that I saw showed a rather high purple WR. I think that the OP was surprised when they got tossed into the deep end instead of being able to continue clubbing seals in the shallow end.

Keep in mind that at least for a very first time, 95% of your games are against bots. When I had a fresh NA account my stats looked INCREDIBLE because I was mostly fighting low tier bots...now they've settled down in to 'average' again despite being a reroll (because I suck).

Members
883 posts
5,968 battles
11 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

[Edited]

Whether or not it’s a fake account I try to provide onsite if it’s not outright flaming instead of approaching the issue with cynicism but that’s just me.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,332 posts
14,924 battles
1 hour ago, _Caliph_ said:

Isn't it amazing how in just the other thread I highlighted how bad design protecting new players from CVs was and low and behold we have a new player demonstrating why.

But they are not protected from CV's, they are protected from CV seal clubbers.

52 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Keep in mind that at least for a very first time, 95% of your games are against bots. When I had a fresh NA account my stats looked INCREDIBLE because I was mostly fighting low tier bots...now they've settled down in to 'average' again despite being a reroll (because I suck).

What I saw was the random win rate but I see your point. I haven't played up from the beginning since a long time ago when tier 3 could see tier 5 and tier 4 could see tier 6, yes I am an old timer.

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

But they are not protected from CV's, they are protected from CV seal clubbers.

What I saw was the random win rate but I see your point. I haven't played up from the beginning since a long time ago when tier 3 could see tier 5 and tier 4 could see tier 6, yes I am an old timer.

Any protection that is going to end is a detriment. It's like learning to play chess without the queen on the board. It might make the initial games easier but the moment you start playing real chess everything you learned no longer applies. That which might still apply, movement keys and aiming the reticle, didn't require the protection to begin with.

Edited by _Caliph_

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,332 posts
14,924 battles
7 minutes ago, _Caliph_ said:

Any protection that is going to end is a detriment. It's like learning to play chess without the queen on the board. It might make the initial games easier but the moment you start playing real chess everything you learned no longer applies. That which might still apply, movement keys and aiming the reticle, didn't require the protection to begin with.

The protection allows them to learn the basics without being roflstomped by experienced players is fine. The problem is there is no transition period, one match you are in the shallow end having fun and the next you are in the deep end and probably do not know how to swim. I am not sure how to work a transition but slowly adding more and more experienced players to their matches starting with those that also just transitioned out might be the solution.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,478 posts
18,475 battles
5 hours ago, Praise_Ashley_Sky said:

I found this very perplexing when behold, I get my first t5 Nicholas and am immediately swarmed by two t6 CVs,

The first time you stepped into a Tier 5 or above ship, regardless of the number of battles, protected matchmaking was disabled.

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,577 posts

Current state of the game, a new player should in no way touch the DD class.