You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

13 comments in this topic

[-NXS-]
Members
30 posts
3,211 battles

First, the Richelieu is a lot of fun to play.   I was having a problem with main turrets getting knocked out but with modules and skills I seemed to have solved that issue.  

The issue that seems to be cropping up is secondaries.  Specifically lack of them firing.  One time I assumed it was because I had the manual fire of secondaries skill and had not selected any target.  So I got rid of that skill as too cumbersome at the moment and to make sure my secondaries are working.  I've got 15 guns and a range of around 10.5km.  I was within 6km (5 something) of a dd and nothing not a single shot.  I turned my broadside to him in order to engage secondaries.  Nothing.  

Any thoughts.   In the past, I've went ahead and focused my secondaries on a single target.  Is this still a technique to use to at least get the first shot out?  Any super cool techniques or tips to maximize secondaries?  Thanks.  

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,527 battles

The target(s) need to be within range and within the firing-arc of the secondary battery in question.

The turret or turrets may not be able to engage the target because it is positioned outside of the rotation angles the turret(s) are capable of rotating.

If that is not the case, then i am curious about what is really going on.

[-NXS-]
Members
30 posts
3,211 battles

Well the wiki page is right

• Poor forward coverage for secondary armament.
  • Turrets tend to get incapacitated and/or destroyed often, with catastrophic consequences since losing one turret means losing 1/2 of the firepower.

I changed the equipment mod in order to protect the secondaries.  Then I went into co-op to give them a work out.  They are working fine but took a helava long time once again to engage a nearby dd.  It seems like angles are just fine when it comes to capital ships but a little more picky on dds.  Maybe its just me.  Is there any place that shows the firing arcs of secondaries?

[SPTR]
Members
27,146 posts
16,413 battles

100mm: HE won't pen anything because its french not Japanese you need ifhe to even pen dds.

152mm: all mounted behind the superstructure and take forever to reload to be effective secondary guns.

Richelieu's secondaries are not good unless an enemy DD is right behind you for all your 152mm secondaries to hit and make sure the dd is presenting its target profile as big as possible because secondary accuracy is rng beyond 3-4km. And by then you'll be expecting them to torpedo rush you.

[-NXS-]
Members
30 posts
3,211 battles
7 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

100mm: HE won't pen anything because its french not Japanese you need ifhe to even pen dds.

152mm: all mounted behind the superstructure and take forever to reload to be effective secondary guns.

Richelieu's secondaries are not good unless an enemy DD is right behind you for all your 152mm secondaries to hit and make sure the dd is presenting its target profile as big as possible because secondary accuracy is rng beyond 3-4km. And by then you'll be expecting them to torpedo rush you.

hmmm,  I'm learning.  If I use the manual selection of secondaries does that effect my accuracies out to 10.5 Kms?  

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,484 battles

The secondaries work really good in Operation Hermes, if that Operation ever comes back from moth balls.

[WOLFB]
Members
430 posts
7,953 battles
25 minutes ago, TinCanMan_ said:

hmmm,  I'm learning.  If I use the manual selection of secondaries does that effect my accuracies out to 10.5 Kms?  

Manual secondaries are a static dispersion boost along their entire range so long as you have the target selected for their targeting.

The main draw back of manual secondaries is that the secondaries that can't shoot at the target you have designated won't automatically fire at any other targets within your secondary armament range.

Say you have a DD 7km away from your left side and a cruiser 9km away from your right side. Without manual secondaries both sides would be shooting at both targets, with manual secondaries, if you select the DD that's closer, the rest of your secondaries won't fire on the cruiser, unless you select him, but then they won't be firing at the DD.

Overall manual secondaries isn't really worth it on the french BBs from my experience, you're better off running fire prevention or concealment (french BBs lack the armor to shatter any HE whatsoever so you will be eating a lot of fires and pen damage, hence using conceal to get dark and reposition), I do however like pushing the secondary distance out a little bit using the secondary module and the signal flag, cause even though they lack penetration they do have rather good fire starting capability, and they tend to pump out a lot of shells at anything that dares get near you.

Alsaces' secondaries in particular have always been nice for these purposes, with the secondary module and signal flag your secondaries go out to 9.45km, which is plenty of range for a ship that usually doesn't want to get up close and personal with most targets, if someone does decide to rush you down however they'll start pumping out quite a few fires, specifically your 152mm guns with 12% fire chance. I've also found that the 152mm secondaries, even without manual, tend to be ludicrously accurate for some reason, I've had multiple cases where all three shells out of a 152mm gun hit a target. To add to this, the way secondaries aim at the target is by aiming at their citadel, which means that at certain closer ranges they'll be trying to hit the citadel but instead end up hitting the outer plating which they will never punch through, without manual secondaries the spread tends to be big enough where you end up getting a lot more shots deviating up to the superstructure, which is where most of the fires and pens that french secondaries cause will happen.

[-NXS-]
Members
30 posts
3,211 battles

The thing about wanting to miss the citadel with secondaries is a great point.  I started down this line because the Republic just ate me up with secondaries in just seconds.  So far, the grind has been fun.  Thinking about the Normandie for Clan wars.  

I think BBs used to be able to take IFHE or maybe it was just dds and cruisers.  I would try it but not a choice.  

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,177 posts
9,512 battles

French secondaries are extremely fragile especially the 100mm mounts, often times it takes only a few HE salvos to incapacitate the majority of your secondary mounts save for the 152mm mounts which may be why you find your secondaries not really firing at times cause the 100mm mounts are gone while the 152mm mounts requires a lot of broadside.

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,527 battles

This topic has been educational.  :-)

[WOLFC]
Members
1,671 posts
9,497 battles
19 hours ago, TinCanMan_ said:

I think BBs used to be able to take IFHE or maybe it was just dds and cruisers.  I would try it but not a choice.  

All captains on all ships can take any skill you wish. The skills that are crossed out are just not recommended for the ship in question. The game bases the recommendation for IFHE based on the caliber of the main battery, not the secondaries.

All BB captains could and still can take IFHE, it’s just that with the recent changes it’s not really worth it anymore on the few cases where it used to be viable.

Edited by Nevermore135

[--V--]
Members
1,425 posts
13,611 battles

Been playing this game a long time.  Secondaries NOT firing happens from time to time.   I've been in my Tirp, Mass, Biz many times and manually selected a target,,,, nothing.  For the entire match they wouldn't fire a shot.  Next match, they work fine.  Best I can tell its just a glitch.   Rare though.

[Y0L0W]
Members
512 posts
16,758 battles

Short answer is Richelieu secondaries are mostly towards the rear arcs and you play the ship bow on. You can angle out a bit to get your secondaries in play but it’s probably not worth it since you open more of your super structure to taking damage or worst get caught with some broadside.

Wait until the Alsace to beef up your secondaries. I’ve found richlieu is best parked on a flank. The moment you get any broadsides. You have happy times.