Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Daniel_Allan_Clark

Friesland AA is strong?

12 comments in this topic

[KAPPA]
Members
3,021 posts
7,790 battles

Friesland's AA is nasty, yes. And that's while dodging all the flak, yes. But it requires the friesland to actually commit to their choice of using a high AA ship and invest in it at least a bit, and I don't mean skill choices. If they don't, it's not gonna be all that bad. AA is your umbrella, and one is best served wearing a raincoat with it when things get bad enough.

However, it's not completely so simple. One also has to maneuver well so as to leverage it. For one, if a rocket squad is coming, rush them so they can't attack for some time. Don't go broadside to rockets, and don't go bow/stern-on to bombers. And torps, you need to go bow on or risk being kept steady for follow up.

[RLGN]
Members
13,725 posts
23,946 battles

It’s an IKEA, so of course AA is nasty.

At least it has smoke; unlike Orland, (which I finally broke down and tried in PT. I despise that thing. I didn’t really do badly, damage wise; but my first impression was still generally negative. I can’t stand playing it. Three more games for my minimum of five, then never again.)

[TARK]
Members
5,611 posts
2,260 battles
30 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Friesland's AA is nasty, yes. And that's while dodging all the flak, yes. But it requires the friesland to actually commit to their choice of using a high AA ship and invest in it at least a bit, and I don't mean skill choices. If they don't, it's not gonna be all that bad. AA is your umbrella, and one is best served wearing a raincoat with it when things get bad enough.

However, it's not completely so simple. One also has to maneuver well so as to leverage it. For one, if a rocket squad is coming, rush them so they can't attack for some time. Don't go broadside to rockets, and don't go bow/stern-on to bombers. And torps, you need to go bow on or risk being kept steady for follow up.

Watch the replay.

I attack Friesland and lose maybe two planes...for a nice couple of Tiny Tim hits.

Tiny Tims are best used against end-on targets right now...so, best to learn that not all rocket attacks are the same?

22 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It’s an IKEA, so of course AA is nasty.

At least it has smoke; unlike Orland, (which I finally broke down and tried in PT. I despise that thing. I didn’t really do badly, damage wise; but my first impression was still generally negative. I can’t stand playing it. Three more games for my minimum of five, then never again.)

@Lert

Horrifying to see such ignorance of a Dutch ship! Friesland is NOT IKEA...

...and her AA was not nasty enough to prevent a lower tier Lexington chunk her for serious damage.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,021 posts
7,790 battles
7 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Watch the replay.

I attack Friesland and lose maybe two planes...for a nice couple of Tiny Tim hits.

Tiny Tims are best used against end-on targets right now...so, best to learn that not all rocket attacks are the same?

@Lert

...and her AA was not nasty enough to prevent a lower tier Lexington chunk her for serious damage.

Right now.

Which is changing.

[TARK]
Members
5,611 posts
2,260 battles
8 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Right now.

Which is changing.

Yes.

Not sure if it will change how I use them much, though. Typically right now it is relatively easy to get broadside shots on DDs...somehow I don't think the word will get out to the legions of DD players that they should change behavior...

[KAPPA]
Members
3,021 posts
7,790 battles
1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Yes.

Not sure if it will change how I use them much, though. Typically right now it is relatively easy to get broadside shots on DDs...somehow I don't think the word will get out to the legions of DD players that they should change behavior...

DDs know well not to give HE bombs a good target. They'll figure it out sooner or later, as I expect rockets to hit a side much harder now.

[TARK]
Members
5,611 posts
2,260 battles
Just now, Shoggoth_pinup said:

DDs know well not to give HE bombs a good target. They'll figure it out sooner or later, as I expect rockets to hit a side much harder now.

ROFL

Good one...

You aren't serious, right? Maybe the good DD captains know how to dodge...

...but I see lots of poor DD players out there.

In a match a couple of weeks back, one of them pathetically asked me not to kill him. I pointed out, in detail, how I was killing him...and ways to mitigate the attack.

Once he had died, we had an amicable conversation about how I could do what I could do...and ways to not fall for it next time. How many people ACTUALLY are out there educating DD captains? This guy was at tier 8! He shouldn't be so completely clueless about plane attack mechanics by then...

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,021 posts
7,790 battles
5 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

ROFL

Good one...

You aren't serious, right? Maybe the good DD captains know how to dodge...

...but I see lots of poor DD players out there.

In a match a couple of weeks back, one of them pathetically asked me not to kill him. I pointed out, in detail, how I was killing him...and ways to mitigate the attack.

Once he had died, we had an amicable conversation about how I could do what I could do...and ways to not fall for it next time. How many people ACTUALLY are out there educating DD captains? This guy was at tier 8! He shouldn't be so completely clueless about plane attack mechanics by then...

Well, there's myself, for one. I can usually be found in your average DD rage thread, telling them precisely what not to do, followed by telling them why when they act like we're gods raining judgement upon unwashed heathens and that none of what I'm saying makes sense, so divine is our omnipotence.

That said, perhaps the good DDs play after midnight. Dunno. Most DDs I see either die too fast for me to do much to or live long enough to show me their moves. Helps that I've been playing T10 CVs way too much of late, and thus seeing those in the know more often when I play more enjoyable ships.

[STW-M]
Beta Testers
533 posts
8,830 battles

i play akizuki a lot and i dont have much issue with cvs myself either. in most instances a cv might try to kill me for 8 minutes and then just leave me alone and let me do my thing to the rest of the team lol without loosing sept for maybe 1/4 of my health lol  

[RLGN]
Members
13,725 posts
23,946 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Fair enough.

Blame WG. That whole rotten mess is their fault. Like I said earlier; no intention of bothering with the Europe DDs whatsoever, beyond the two I already have.

[PVE]
Members
495 posts
9,726 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Watch the replay.

@Lert

IKEA

Headquarters Delft, Netherlands

True, Delft is not in Friesland.

Sign in to follow this