Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BanCVComplainers

Magic AP rockets need better explanation

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,902
[NH]
Members
1,760 posts

How much armor can they pen? Which ships should I target and which should I avoid as to not waste time with shatters? WG couldnt even give the rocket type a pound or mm size. Just rocket go boom.

This info would go a long way when getting a citadel is not an option and you need to know what part of the ship to target for pens. So much information missing.

image.png.429c914b29c6074843e69bd65e0c7b46.png

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
975
[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,225 battles

To be fair, they don't really do this with AP in general, as it depends on distance. One has to go to unofficial sites to get data to any satisfying degree, and... I can honestly understand why. The numbers shift far too quickly.

Still, fire closer for thicker armor and further away for thinner. That's the general rule of thumb for AP in general. The rule is reversed for AP bombers, of course, but still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,414
[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
2,992 posts
5,943 battles

*waves hands*

These are not the numbers you are looking for.

/wg probably

Edited by CommodoreKang
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,902
[NH]
Members
1,760 posts
17 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

To be fair, they don't really do this with AP in general, as it depends on distance. One has to go to unofficial sites to get data to any satisfying degree, and... I can honestly understand why. The numbers shift far too quickly.

Still, fire closer for thicker armor and further away for thinner. That's the general rule of thumb for AP in general. The rule is reversed for AP bombers, of course, but still.

Even so there are some cruisers and carriers I cant seem to citadel at point blank range no matter what. So we need a baseline atleast . Comparedly we know a 127mm AP shell will never citadel a yamato. We dont really know much on the AP rockets.

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
808
[BONKS]
Members
693 posts
3,376 battles

Just go with what could a cruiser pen?
 

German ships generally a no due to Turtle back. 
 

Light cruisers, yes across the board.

 

Heavy cruisers? If they have a high citadel yes.

I just went with that and seemed to work.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,668
[PVE]
Members
6,130 posts
22,432 battles

So are you trying to hit from the side w/rockets as in a typical closer up ship attack or are you trying to break through the deck as in a long range plunging fire hit?

W/bombs I'm assuming the latter but not sure w/the rockets.

Does this vary w/target armor or stay the same no matter what you are hitting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
945
[5D]
Members
1,064 posts
13,549 battles

you can hit BB for 5-10k if you aim for the upper belt , same for cruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
281
[XXX]
Members
520 posts
923 battles
7 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Even so there are some cruisers and carriers I cant seem to citadel at point blank range no matter what. So we need a baseline atleast . Comparedly we know a 127mm AP shell will never citadel a yamato. We dont really know much on the AP rockets.

There are indeed some cruisers that are outright immune to Rocket attack. German Cruisers, the higher tier ones, who get turtleback (Hipper, Roon, Hindenburg...I think Yorck gets it as well..). Any of the Cruisers that have a 'spaced armour' layout (so the two high tier french cruisers) and some just have a below water citadel. You'll still do normal pen damage but you wont be able to citadel them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,479
[A-I-M]
Members
3,027 posts
13,273 battles
10 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

How much armor can they pen? Which ships should I target and which should I avoid as to not waste time with shatters? WG couldnt even give the rocket type a pound or mm size. Just rocket go boom.

This info would go a long way when getting a citadel is not an option and you need to know what part of the ship to target for pens. So much information missing.

image.png.429c914b29c6074843e69bd65e0c7b46.png

Play?

Experiment?

Learn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
829 posts
5,758 battles

I don’t get it either. I can get 5 cits on a Des Moines but zero and just regular pens on a venezia. Seems legit :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[KSE]
Members
10 posts
7,880 battles

Rockets are like AP bombs, they have a set penetration value, distance (drop height) makes no difference (ballistics are not modeled on rockets/bombs).  Impact angle does factor in, and bombs can ricochet (especially GZ bombs since attack angle is so acute).  I don't believe they have given a number for rocket pen, but have said they can penetrate the citadel armor of same tier cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×