Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
madgiecool

Please add HMNZS Achilles (Commonwealth)

7 comments in this topic

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
1,161 posts
10,892 battles

Hi All,

My suggestion for an addition for the Commonwealth tree, HMNZS Achilles  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMNZS_Achilles_(70)

I believe this will be a welcome addition to any any commander who already has the Exeter, Graf Spee and/or the Leander (with the Ajax camo).  Re-enact 'The battle of the River Plate'    :Smile_coin:   Change the direction of History!

Sure, money can be spent on Cobi blocks, but those models can't be used in a game to sink other ships, and may get dusty sitting on a shelf.  

As HMS Achilles was both a RN, NZ (and Indian - INS Delhi) ship, I see HMS Achilles having a choice of naval flags (same as the Eu DD, and other Commonwealth ships).  Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on POV) this is the same flag, so should be easy for WG to model. 

When HMS Achilles opened fire on the German 'pocket battleship' Admiral Graf Spee on 13 December 1939, it became the first NZ unit to engage the enemy in the Second World War.

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/keyword/hms-achilles#:~:text=Articles-,Battle%20of%20the%20River%20Plate,in%20this%20country's%20naval%20history.

This ship will always have a special place in NZ history.

Simple history (below)

image.thumb.png.fe67d4a4f8eb80ca2a9b3600397d597e.pngimage.png.5427c214e51848ca18bd923f2d43f3ee.png    

The popcorn part :Smile_popcorn:

(Lert - Is this you?)

The extra Popcorn part :Smile_popcorn: :Smile_popcorn:

Spoiler

This video is about 5min and I like how the battle is explained

This video is over twice as long, but explains how the Graf Spee was detained in port. 

If you have the time, I enjoyed both of the above for the different POV's both narrators add.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles

Commonwealth already has a Leander class premium ship called Perth though. May I ask what do you envisage Achilles doing differently, that could justify the proposal?

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
1,161 posts
10,892 battles

1 minute ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Commonwealth already has a Leander class premium ship called Perth though. What do you envisage Achilles doing differently that could justify the proposal?

it's New Zealand, not Australian.  

13,990 posts
5,814 battles
19 minutes ago, madgiecool said:

it's New Zealand, not Australian.  

Sorry, but being neither a Kiwi, nor Aussie, imho this isn't a particularly convincing case to include a Perth or Leander clone into the Commonwealth tree.

I think if you wanted to propose a New Zealand commonwealth cruiser, seemingly on the basis of nationalism, a better choice would probably have been HMNZS Bellona or Black Prince. Whenever the heck WG finally releases a Dido class premium for the Royal Navy, either of those two could be the Commonwealth counterpart.

Just my two pennies.

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
1,161 posts
10,892 battles

I've made my suggestion and I'm not going to change it because of an 'Australia got one first' argument.

If someone else wants to suggest a  ship. 

Go for it.    

:Smile_great:

Members
97 posts
71 battles
14 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Sorry, but being neither a Kiwi, nor Aussie, imho this isn't a particularly convincing case to include a Perth or Leander clone into the Commonwealth tree.

I think if you wanted to propose a New Zealand commonwealth cruiser, seemingly on the basis of nationalism, a better choice would probably have been HMNZS Bellona or Black Prince. Whenever the heck WG finally releases a Dido class premium for the Royal Navy, either of those two could be the Commonwealth counterpart.

Just my two pennies.

ROFL

Bellona and Black Prince, 2 ships famous for mutinies, poor/bad working conditions and desertion.  Add the Arbutus and you could have a whole trifecta.

or

the other one

13,990 posts
5,814 battles
16 minutes ago, Pebcac said:

ROFL

Bellona and Black Prince, 2 ships famous for mutinies, poor/bad working conditions and desertion.  Add the Arbutus and you could have a whole trifecta.

or

the other one

I don't see the problem. :cap_cool:

Pan America has a Argentine cruiser which was a prison ship.

Sign in to follow this