You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
oline63

Good at coop, suck at random, getting bored. Advice?

37 comments in this topic

[META_]
Members
6 posts
6,386 battles

I'm pretty new to the game, played by myself and only have a couple thousand battles, pretty much stuck on tier 5/6 (plenty of xp, just don't think I'm good enough to graduate, so to speak).  I'm usually top 3 on co-op, but regularly get my butt kicked on random.  Learning by sinking is useful, but so very slow...I keep thinking about joining a clan, but don't know if I play well enough yet.  I've watched the video tutorials, but didn't get much out of them (really supposed to memorize all the other ship's various armor, location of citadels, etc?).

Any advice from some of you old salts?  

• Cool 1

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles

Practice in random's. It is the only way. No one can teach you when to zig or zag nor how to read a map. It comes in time and sometimes no matter how good you play you'll still lose. One thing is for sure though, you will never get better in random's by playing coop.

I suppose one solid piece of advice I can give is select a ship you like and play it to the exclusion of others until it becomes second nature. Then move on to the next.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WORX]
Members
13,307 posts
20,159 battles
14 minutes ago, oline63 said:

I'm pretty new to the game, played by myself and only have a couple thousand battles, pretty much stuck on tier 5/6 (plenty of xp, just don't think I'm good enough to graduate, so to speak).  I'm usually top 3 on co-op, but regularly get my butt kicked on random.  Learning by sinking is useful, but so very slow...I keep thinking about joining a clan, but don't know if I play well enough yet.  I've watched the video tutorials, but didn't get much out of them (really supposed to memorize all the other ship's various armor, location of citadels, etc?).

Hi, Welcome to WOWS.

We here at WOWS, we do not set any expectations in your learning or play sessions. From my perspective... I recommend, the "how it works" play list from here

https://www.youtube.com/c/WorldofWarshipsOfficialChannel/playlists

I do recommend to use Co-op and training rooms to learn how to apply what the series teach.

Co-op experience is not the same as Random experience, which is not the same as clan battle or Rank experience.  I highly recommend to find a friend to DIV up to show you "the light." Just to show you what you cannot see because you're new.

This game is to repetitive, you will see in due time.. Certain ships do the same thing in battle.. From there, you can adapt according to your play style.

I also recommend to play a ship style that you like... For example, I like mid and low tier matches... You will not see me in a tier 9 or 10 match on the live server...

I also recommend to take your time going up the tiers...

Other then that, I wish you luck

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles

Lower tier BBs aren't that great, so they can be frustrating. Don't bring slow BBs into co-op for your sanity's sake. Push up, but don't be at the tip of the spear in randoms. Try to keep near allies against CVs.

Cruisers are squishy. Sniping so as to juke shots, firing over islands and kiting are their bread and butter. Try to never be the first spotted, as it will rain steel.

DDs are difficult. Go for caps, but don't rush for them. CVs will try to rocket you, and you can reduce the effectiveness by going bow-in or mooning them. Keep your AA off, and don't try to tank a CV if you have smoke you can pop. Certain cruisers, DDs and Missouri have radar. Memorize the list of ships with radar.

Do not give rockets your side. Do not give bombers your bow or stern.Try to give torp bombers your bow, as your stern leads to easy follow up. Check the lineup at the start of battles, making note of any ships you fear. Hold ctrl and click the gear above the minimap so you can fiddle with settings. Make the minimap bigger, but not big enough to get in the way.

Bottom tier and top tier plays differently. Bottom is supporting cast, top is the protagonist. Don't go broadside to use torps in a cruiser. Don't go broadside in BBs and cruisers in general unless you must, and if you do try to be smart about when. Be paranoid and imagine where DDs will hide. Be paranoid and guess where torps are coming from.

Think back and find one thing you did wrong after every match, no matter how well you did, and think about how you could have done it better. This one is my secret, and why I always am improving even after years of playing.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[SWDT]
Members
2 posts

they need players that fight for the team and know what to do with the ship they are in and the role it takes!!!!  then its all fun

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
25 minutes ago, oline63 said:

(really supposed to memorize all the other ship's various armor, location of citadels, etc?).

1st off welcome to the forums :-)

As for that...it's not that simple...you also need to learn about the variances on all the different guns you are firing at all those various armors & citadels also :-0

...but that is only if you wanna achieve unicum status :-)

For standard play those things will come w/practice & a lot of those things are national standards so learning 1 of the ships in the line will usually give you a pretty good idea about the rest of that ship type in that nation (of course there will be some oddballs just to throw you off..but most of them are nationally standard & again all of that will come later).

Many clans will allow you to join just so they can farm your oil & plenty of them have players that will div w/you to help you learn the ropes...& many other players will div w/you w/out you needing to join their clan.

Operations are a good place to learn the ropes also & there's a Hoperations group that will let you join in to div w/them.

But for getting better in random my suggestion is a variation on:

21 minutes ago, _Caliph_ said:

Practice in random's. It is the only way. No one can teach you when to zig or zag nor how to read a map. It comes in time and sometimes no matter how good you play you'll still lose. One thing is for sure though, you will never get better in random's by playing coop.

I suppose one solid piece of advice I can give is select a ship you like and play it to the exclusion of others until it becomes second nature. Then move on to the next.

That is good advice by itself & my variation also follows the "stick to familiarity" theme.

My advice is to start w/1 ship type (I suggest cruisers 1st because they are the 1st type in the game at T1...then DDs & then BBs & then CVs) & run every different 1 (starting at IJN & working your way down the tech tree) through T4.

IOW run IJN cruisers through T4 1st...then US cruisers through T4 2nd...then RU cruisers through T4 3rd...continue working all the way down the tech tree until you get through all the cruisers to T4...then do the same w/the DDs & then the BBs & finally the CVs.

CVs are an acquired taste so by T4 you should know if they suit you & whether you want to bother w/the higher tiers but beware as there is much more AA in the higher tiers. If you realize they aren't your cup of tea before that at least play a dozen or so games in each nation's T4 to get an idea of how they each differ to learn how to counter them better).

Then start at the cruisers again & run them all through T6...them all DDs then all BBs & CVs if you decided to continue with them.

By T6 most nation's specific "gimmicks" (special consumables/odd qualities/etc...if they get any) are usually revealed (some don't appear until T8 but most are revealed by T6) so by that time you should have a fairly good experienced idea what suits you best & a good idea about what the enemy is capable of in any giving scenario.

As most ship types are generally the same with just nation specific variances sticking w/all of 1 ship type all the way in big chunks makes for less confusion than jumping back & forth between ship types & lessens the chance of accidently trying to torp charge a BB in a light cruiser that doesn't have torps because that was last battle you were in a DD not this 1...Doh :-0

Ok...gonna submit this before I get Ninja's.

Good Luck OP & if you check my stats 1st remember that I didn't do any of the things I am suggesting.

• Thanks 1

[SIM]
Members
5,849 posts
9,315 battles

With your battle count, I would honestly advise you to go out and get your aft kicked against other players. Be bad at randoms, but keep trying to do better. You've already done your research, now you need to go put it to the test. Don't sweat it if your results aren't good at first, some lessons you have to learn while getting your citadel blown out. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[O_O]
Members
7,041 posts
17,406 battles
3 hours ago, oline63 said:

.I keep thinking about joining a clan, but don't know if I play well enough yet.  I've watched the video tutorials, but didn't get much out of them (really supposed to memorize all the other ship's various armor, location of citadels, etc?).

There are clans out there that only exist so the members can take advantage of the clan perks.  They don't play competitively, so they don't care how good you are.  My clan is one of them, as well as the many WOLF clans.  While many of those players don't care to socialize with clan mates, some will most likely be quite willing to division with you and help you learn.

You CAN memorize armor values, penetration values, etc, but it certainly isn't necessary.  I certainly haven't memorized any of that stuff.  If I don't penetrate a heavy ship on my first couple of attempts, I switch to HE!

My tips for your improvement in Random games:

• Resist the urge to push up too far, especially as a rookie.  In Co-op, rushing into the fight is the best way to get more hits and more kills.  In Random, that will just get you squished quickly.
  • Learn your ship's role.  Most destroyers should push up to scout, but you still need to manage your concealment.  Cruisers should support other ships, but can be fragile.  Battleships should push up to a point to provide supporting fire, and shouldn't hide at max range and snipe.  Pushing up is okay, but remember my first point about pushing up too far.
  • Mini-map...use it!  Plan your positioning based on where the red ships are.  Pay attention to any alerts that let you know you are detected, and use the mini-map to figure out what might be spotting you.  This can let you know if a red destroyer is hunting you.
  • Learn the ranges of the tools your ship may have, such as torpedoes, hydroacoustic search, radar, defensive AA fire, etc.  I see A LOT of newbies using their hydroacoustic search WAY out of range, and by the time they get in range it will have expired and be on cool down.  I assume they just don't know what it does or how it works.  Similarly, you can launch 6 km torpedoes all day at a target that is 7.5 km away, and unless it is moving toward you, you will never hit it.  Pro tip - in game, hold CNTRL and hover your mouse over your green ship silhouette on the bottom left of your screen.  It will give you your ship's stats, including ranges of your weapons and your concealment range.  You don't have to memorize them!
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[GLF]
Members
53 posts
26,400 battles

In my view,  focus on cruisers to start with, take a couple of lines to T8, then same approach with battleships and then try dds.  Above all, tis but a game so do what you enjoy.

I still play some old favorite powercrept IJN cruisers from time to time.

• Thanks 1

[META_]
Members
1,831 posts
18,967 battles
3 hours ago, oline63 said:

Hello oline63, I just started a clan a week ago so only have a few people. I'm looking for active players it doesn't matter the skill level only thing is being active as that earns oil. Oil is the clans currency. I also have a YouTube channel Meta_man2002 that I post many instructional videos and reviews on... If the videos are helpful please subscribe.. We'd love to have you join the clan as it would help us and you out together... I'm looking for newer players wanting to learn strategies I have come up with and to work as a team. I've played on a winning clan for over a year and know how to win.... Hope to hear from you, I'm also in my 40s so more of a mature semi-competive player teacher type. 

• Thanks 1

Members
7,122 posts
22,687 battles
4 hours ago, oline63 said:

Your stats are very good especially when combining your low game count and playing solo.

One major issue is I see based off of what you said is xp generation by playing so much co-op. You will never get higher point captains playing co-op. Higher point captains translates into to better performing ships and so on.....Stay out of co-op. Stay alive, and work on different strategies each game. It really doesn't matter which strat you choose, if it seems to work well, stick with it and keep it.

• Thanks 1

[GWG]
Members
7,610 posts
14,491 battles

You think Co-Op is BORING ??????    Huh ?????

Being bull-rushed by 4 battleships and 4 cruisers in tight formation, focusing on one green ship at a time ???  That never happens in Random.

Random is filled with island hiders and back-field snipers that refuse to stick their necks out.  Anyone who charges (pushes) in alone is dead pretty quick.

So the Random battle first kills off the newby YOLO combatants,
then settles into a WW1 battlefield of entrenched positions,
waiting for the other team to do something stupid.  

Usually, this stupid is forced by not enough caps, or the need to get more points.
They have to push somewhere, usually the softest target they can see.  Often enough, it ends up in a cascade of failure and a defeat.  But the rare successes are spectacular and usually end up as YouTube videos.

Try some scenarios.  Try different ships.  Have fun with this game.

This game will build you some character and give you lessons you can use in life...  But don't let it rule you.  Don't let a game control your life.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,908 posts
14,401 battles
4 hours ago, oline63 said:

Random and Co-op are very different environments.  In co-op the 'Bots don't lack for courage and tend to sail towards their opponents aggressively.  Co-op tends to be a feeding-frenzy of doing the most damage and sinking the most ships in the shortest amount of time.  There are good lessons to be learned here that can save your bacon while brawling in complicated environments.  But, there are habits that can get one sunk in randoms that one needs to learn how to "flip the switch" on/off in order to level-up their game.

In Randoms sailing aggressively happens less often. 
There are many who still perform island-camping and attempt to use islands like tanks use terrain and attempt to snipe the opposition. 
Or they maneuver at the edge of their own firing range and attempt to hit targets that wander too close.  If opposition attempts to charge at them, they'll "kite away".
Point is, random players can be cautious.  Sometimes cautious to a fault.  Also, when a CV starts disrupting their favorite ship vs. ship tactics, life gets interesting.  Some adapt and play well, while some others cry on the forums.  ;-)

Each mode offers entertainment.  Each is worth learning to play well in. 
One doesn't have to memorize ships like baseball-card statistics, but one should learn principles and tactics in order to improve one's survival.
Personally, I like to know which cruisers (and battleships) have torpedoes.  Because jousting with a ship that can sink me at point-blank range with a torpedo salvo might be something I want to re-consider. 
But there are ways to sink such ships.  Just as there are ways to sink every ship.  Just gotta learn how.

For a different scene, have you tried playing in Scenario Operations?
It offers the co-operative play of a unifying mission.  It offers more targets than random battles.  It has objectives and mission requirements to gain rewards.  

Personally, it took me a while to figure out the random battle scene.  But, I did so by playing in it.  And I'm still learning. 
Humans make for some challenging opponents, sometimes.  But, they also beach on islands and do other stuff that the 'Bots emulate as part of the bot programming.  ;-)

I still enjoy co-op.  I enjoy scenario operations.  I enjoy randoms.  Each offers a different flavor of naval arcade-game battle (and chat messages - lol) and risks/rewards.

Remember, we're here to play and have fun.  :-)

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
13,959 posts
29,482 battles
47 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

Your stats are very good especially when combining your low game count and playing solo.

One major issue is I see based off of what you said is xp generation by playing so much co-op. You will never get higher point captains playing co-op. Higher point captains translates into to better performing ships and so on.....Stay out of co-op. Stay alive, and work on different strategies each game. It really doesn't matter which strat you choose, if it seems to work well, stick with it and keep it.

Really? Tell that to my 50 19pt Capt's ALL earned in Co-op many of whom helm every tech tree T10 (every nation and every CV/BB/Cruiser/DD) in the game that are in my port. 

I have no issue with the OP wanting to be better in Randoms and not liking Co-op; to each his own. I also agree with those who have said the only way to learn the quirks of Random is to play Random. IMO that is mainly shooting (only thing I struggle with when I venture to PVP) but it is a big difference. Well shooting and the much more passive meta which can get aggressive Co-op mains sunk fast if they don't reign it in while in PVP.

Let's cut the rhetoric out though ok. You can do anything there is to do in this game in Co-op (as long as WG gives you a path to it). It might take a little longer as the rewards are lower but they are not so low you can't get high pt Capt's. Gotta give you a :Smile_smile: for that. That is one I haven't seen before LOL. :Smile_facepalm:

Again, if OP wants to play Randoms that is great. Give him actual advice on how to do so and not anti Co-op boloney. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 3

[SALVO]
Members
8,273 posts
6,142 battles

Hi OP, welcome!

You should have already covered the basics of ship operation. 

For starting at Randoms I think you should first focus on learning and using vision games. 

Remember to tone down your aggresion and deploy in a more conservative way, in Random you are in for the long run.

The rest will come naturaly, just enjoy the game. Oh, and beware of the pesky CVs, they are far deadlier than bot CVs and a plague in T4. Remember to turn off your AA if you'll be playing DDs. 

• Cool 1

[FRR]
Members
975 posts
6 hours ago, oline63 said:

Hey, don't get bored. World of Warships offer plenty of details that can keep a player interested in for months. 

I am not that good in Coop, and I totally suck in Randoms. I am still learning all there is to learn. 

But try not to get bored. Try scenarios. Try different ships. Try joining a Division. Try some variation in your play. 

[NGA-B]
[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
199 posts
11,094 battles

I agree with all of these posts.  Don't be in a hurry rushing up tiers.  Stay in the T5 or T6 range for the "fun factor".  It gets much more cut-throat at higher tiers, esp. T9 and T10.   In terms of "boredom", that's why I'm researching EVERY line of EVERY nation - each one has something different and unique to offer.  I'm a DD main but dont play the French or EU DDs alot b/c they dont have smoke.  They compensate that with other things.  I play CVs when I want to do something "different" and even went into my own Training room (you can create one yourself) to practice the mechanics of handling this class. Overall, just have FUN!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,306 posts
26,945 battles
6 hours ago, oline63 said:

Advice time to move on.......................Bye

• Sad 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
9,235 battles

With under 150 battles in Random you are still very much going through the learning process, and that's okay! As others have pointed out, the skills you learn in Co-Op do not translate to Random because while Co-Op is a race to deal damage and sink ships before your teammates do, Random is much more about attrition, survival and playing objectives to win (while still trying to deal damage and sink ships).

Video tutorials are a fantastic resource but sometimes you can overwhelm yourself with too much information and struggle to put the lessons into practice. My advice is to simplify your own personal strategy for Random battles until you feel comfortable. At it's core, doing well in Random battles involves the following basic tenets; survival, support, awareness, playing the objective. 

1. Survival; pretty simple really, a sunk ship deals no damage, provides no spotting or support and can't take or defend objectives. You should always want to survive as long as possible so be cautious with your HP, but always remember that hiding behind an island might keep you alive, but you'll provide no support to your team. Pay attention when you take damage because how you orient your ship to the opposition determines how much damage you take. Notice a lot of your health being lost after one salvo from an enemy ship? Look at how your ship is positioned relative to the enemy. Are you providing a nice, flat broadside target? You are exposing the citadel (vital ship areas such as engines and magazine) of your ship and when it gets hit, you take full damage from enemy shells. 
  2. Support; simple in concept, more difficult in practice. Help your teammates by spotting (primarily in destroyers), focus firing enemy ships to remove them from the battle faster, using your health to draw fire away from heavily damaged teammates (primarily in battleships) but always remember the first tenet; SURVIVE!
  3. Awareness; pay attention to the mini-map! You can increase it's size by using the + or - keys on the number pad on your keyboard. Information in this game is the key to doing well in Random battles. Be aware of where you are, where your teammates are, where the opponents are, and where the objectives are. One of the most common reasons ships get sunk early and often in Random battles is people over-extending and pushing out past their teammates and drawing fire from the opposition who will happily focus their fire to remove that ship from the game. You might get away with that in Co-Op, but it's almost always a quick trip back to the Port in Random battles. 
  4. Playing the objective; both sides begin the game with a fixed set of points that increase or decrease once the timer begins. Securing an objective, or cap, increases how many points are earned every few seconds. A ship being sunk causes the team it's on to lose points, while the opposing team gains points (remember; survive!). If one side reaches 1000 points, they win. If one side reaches 0 points, they lose. Keep these things in mind when you are playing, because although matches can and will be decided by one side destroying all the ships on the other side, it's still all about the points you accumulate or lose as the game goes on. Securing objectives (or caps) is the real purpose of the match and that should be the goal you and your teammates work towards - and make no mistake, even if you become the best to ever play the game, you can't win every match by yourself (even though it might feel like you do!). Just remember, securing objectives might be the goal but you need to survive, provide and receive support, and always stay aware.

You should definitely look for a clan to join, and don't worry about how "good" you are, the majority of clans aren't concerned about your personal skill. Being in a clan gives you the opportunity to find people to play with in divisions, people you might learn some valuable lessons from, and it brings other benefits as well such as an increase in coal and steel that you earn, and a credit discount on ships you purchase. Above all else, it's a game! Make friends, have fun! Sailing in a division with company you enjoy might cure that boredom!

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
1,139 posts

Lots of good advice here.  My advice.  Just think of Random and CoOP as completely different games.  That was the hardest for me when I started to switch out of playing allot of CoOP.  I had to 'put on my Random hat'.  You have to drop your CoOP habits completely for Randoms.  A couple of things to get you started:

Shooting:  Somebody mentioned this.  It is so much easier to hit targets that race toward you or just sail along at broadside like they do in CoOP.  That is usually not going to happen in Random.  You need to practice in Random to learn how to hit WASD targets zigzagging all over the place.

Concealment:  Not really an issue in CoOP.  In random it can mean everything.  When to get close.  When to go dark.  You have to learn how to use to your advantage.

Strategy:  Let's face it.  There isn't much strategy in CoOP.  This is the most difficult and time consuming element of Randoms.  Others have mentioned it.  Learn to use the mini map and plot your moves.  Unlike CoOP, just pumping shells into the nearest ship won't necessarily win you games.

Good luck and have fun.  Randoms is much more fun, but much more work.  

• Thanks 1

[VORTX]
Members
662 posts
8,380 battles
8 hours ago, oline63 said:

I’ve been playing since November 19, so still newish. I played almost exclusively coop until maybe May or so. Coop teaches you terrible tactics. You rush forward hyper aggressively trying to kill things to gain the preciously little XP available. It gets really boring and repetitive too. I would suck it up and just face that you are going to have a terrible win rate for the next few months. Mine was as low as 40% and my average damage and survival rate was awful. It’s gotten a lot better. I’m at 51% now and don’t feel nearly as useless. Most games I have fun. You need to realize random matches setup much slower and it’s more of a marathon. A bright side is you have to think much more anticipating you’re opponent and use that mini map! Situation awareness is everything. You need to learn when to push, fall back and run for the hills. It takes time and the learning curve is pretty harsh at first. My fav tiers to play are 5/6 and 9/10. 7 and 8 can be really rough with the MM.  GL HH.

[INTEL]
Members
1,780 posts
16,453 battles
5 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Pro tip - in game, hold CNTRL and hover your mouse over your green ship silhouette on the bottom left of your screen.  It will give you your ship's stats, including ranges of your weapons and your concealment range.  You don't have to memorize them!

Or you could just press the h key, no mouse required.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
33,659 posts
10,453 battles
7 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

1st off welcome to the forums :-)

As for that...it's not that simple...you also need to learn about the variances on all the different guns you are firing at all those various armors & citadels also :-0

...but that is only if you wanna achieve unicum status :)

Agreed. You can play to a fairly decent level just by knowing the detection mechanics well, and general "rules of thumb", while being aware of exceptions. (ie. Which <T8 BBs have 32mm plating)

Members
7,122 posts
22,687 battles

3 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Really? Tell that to my 50 19pt Capt's ALL earned in Co-op many of whom helm every tech tree T10 (every nation and every CV/BB/Cruiser/DD) in the game that are in my port. 

I have no issue with the OP wanting to be better in Randoms and not liking Co-op; to each his own. I also agree with those who have said the only way to learn the quirks of Random is to play Random. IMO that is mainly shooting (only thing I struggle with when I venture to PVP) but it is a big difference. Well shooting and the much more passive meta which can get aggressive Co-op mains sunk fast if they don't reign it in while in PVP.

Let's cut the rhetoric out though ok. You can do anything there is to do in this game in Co-op (as long as WG gives you a path to it). It might take a little longer as the rewards are lower but they are not so low you can't get high pt Capt's. Gotta give you a :Smile_smile: for that. That is one I haven't seen before LOL. :Smile_facepalm:

Again, if OP wants to play Randoms that is great. Give him actual advice on how to do so and not anti Co-op boloney. 

btw, i have close to 80 19pt captains.... just fyi.

My point was that if he wants to get better one way was to play games that will enhance his captains skills faster. I would rather get 200% xp from a base of 1700 than i would a base of 300. Simple math.

Playing co-op is like playing tic tac toe except in co-op you get to go first , 2nd and 3rd before the opposing player makes one move. It's that easy. As this player below states:

28 minutes ago, Fifi_Macaffee said:

I’ve been playing since November 19, so still newish. I played almost exclusively coop until maybe May or so. Coop teaches you terrible tactics. You rush forward hyper aggressively trying to kill things to gain the preciously little XP available. It gets really boring and repetitive too.