Capt_Ahab1776

Port shot building guns on site

4 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,730 battles

Watching the Odin being built. It kind of brought up something I really didn't think a lot about. The building of the main battery on site. The main guns are installed but the turrets are built on site. Just kind of made me go "cool".

guns built on site.jpg

Members
2,968 posts
36,778 battles

You would br surprised how some countries built their ships.

Texas was built in Philadelphia shipyard at Bethlehem Steel. Her guns were delivered there from Navy ordinance by train. But all of her was built there. Her sister ship New York was built elsewhere. And fun fact, Texas was christened and finished first.

Technically, BB35 is the class of the ship. Texas class. It's just due to BB34 New York got the lower number assigned and possibly political reasons, the two ships are New York class.

But of the two, Texas was immediately adopted by the state and spared the fate of New York at Bikini atoll during the nuclear tests.

I like the shipyard. It's really cool. I think WG made a very smart decision to retain it. I hope they use it for future ship events.

In fact, they should make it Activate when a special ship is being purchased by RB, coal, steel, etc. Just activate it and wait a few days. Nothing special, just that.

It would look cool to see your ship being built even for a week.

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,049 posts
12,735 battles
6 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

You would br surprised how some countries built their ships.

Texas was built in Philadelphia shipyard at Bethlehem Steel. Her guns were delivered there from Navy ordinance by train. But all of her was built there. Her sister ship New York was built elsewhere. And fun fact, Texas was christened and finished first.

Technically, BB35 is the class of the ship. Texas class. It's just due to BB34 New York got the lower number assigned and possibly political reasons, the two ships are New York class.

But of the two, Texas was immediately adopted by the state and spared the fate of New York at Bikini atoll during the nuclear tests.

I like the shipyard. It's really cool. I think WG made a very smart decision to retain it. I hope they use it for future ship events.

In fact, they should make it Activate when a special ship is being purchased by RB, coal, steel, etc. Just activate it and wait a few days. Nothing special, just that.

It would look cool to see your ship being built even for a week.

In the US Navy, build order doesn't determine class, never had, never will. That's a European thing. It's also a source of many mistakes because a great many books about ships are written in Britain, and the Brits like applying their own rules regardless of how the country that actually built and owns the ships actually does things.

In the US Navy, the lead ship of the class is the first ship as designated by Congress when the ships are authorized. That ship doesn't even need to be built, and doesn't need to be in any order, as some classes of destroyer have proved. It is also possible to have multiple identical classes of ships, just as a result in how they were procured.

Hull numbers are likewise assigned by Congress when the ships are authorized by Congress. If the hull number and/or name is changed, that is also done by Congress. 

• Thanks 1

Members
2,968 posts
36,778 battles
On 7/18/2020 at 9:02 AM, SgtBeltfed said:

In the US Navy, build order doesn't determine class, never had, never will. That's a European thing. It's also a source of many mistakes because a great many books about ships are written in Britain, and the Brits like applying their own rules regardless of how the country that actually built and owns the ships actually does things.

In the US Navy, the lead ship of the class is the first ship as designated by Congress when the ships are authorized. That ship doesn't even need to be built, and doesn't need to be in any order, as some classes of destroyer have proved. It is also possible to have multiple identical classes of ships, just as a result in how they were procured.

Hull numbers are likewise assigned by Congress when the ships are authorized by Congress. If the hull number and/or name is changed, that is also done by Congress. 

Thanks, interesting. 👍

Sign in to follow this