You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Lert's thoughts about Odin and the second round of Dockyard

47 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,634 posts
17,955 battles

My opinion on the first round of Dockyard should be familiar to people who follow my posts. In short,

Spoiler

I liked the idea a lot and agree that a Tier 10 should take significant work to acquire, but the amount of work required was just insane, and the communication around the event and math to understand and plan progress was very, very poorly done to put it mildly.

So I was a bit hesitant to get hyped when I'd heard that Odin was going to be Dockyard too. Odin herself is a bit controversial because of her testing history and some changes made, and people wonder whether a 305mm armed T8 battleship with relatively low health could do well in the current meta. Gameplay footage - especially from Lord Mountbatten who quite enjoys his Odin - and Mouse's review though have convinced me that she's a ship that I can probably make work. Low health and guns that require a deft hand are balanced out by excellent everything else. That is a gameplay niche I don't mind, from time to time.

But what about Dockyard v 2.0 itself?

Apparently Wargaming had learned from their mistakes surrounding Dockyard 1.0 and made the mission chain a lot more realistic, extended the time to complete the chain, simplified the progress and told us up front what the cost to complete would be. Plus, they had a very nice ship reward half way through, Graf Spee is a good ship. I already had her, though - and am not lacking for credits, but the fact that they dropped her in as additional reward is worth mentioning.

All in all I'm so pleased with Dockyard 2.0 and the event in general that I not only dropped 3500 dubs on completing two of the twenty steps, but an additional 2000 on the optional camo.

KbPhGGy.jpg

Beauty~

Nicely done, WG. Just - don't squander the goodwill for this event by falling back to earlier mistakes.

• Cool 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,731 posts

Largely matches my opinion on the matter.

They seem to have listened to the customer response, and tried to address the problems. 

Here's hoping for more in that direction going forward.

[SEALZ]
Members
840 posts
7,931 battles

Agree wholeheartedly. WG really sank belly up last time but knocked it out of the park this time around, a good thing as the dockyard is such a neat idea. It does help Odin is such a fun ship, probably my favorite premium this year.

[WOLF9]
Members
479 posts
17,070 battles

Agree.  Also would like to add that I would not mind some missions scaled up if the final prize is a T9 or T10 (not Dockyard 1.0 difficulty though), or scaled down for a good T7.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,016 posts
16,169 battles

Well sir, I was so ticked off after the dumpster fire that was the Puerto Rico event that I hadn't spent a nickel on the game since. Then I did my homework on the Odin, read the reviews, got out my calculator, and promptly dropped the 8000 doubloons on the booster. Got the Odin quickly and I'm enjoying it, plus all the goodies including the steel. 

It's a fair deal. Take it! ...And the boys get a pair o'dem shoes ...

I just watched Snatch again so somehow this makes sense to me. 

Members
1,381 posts
16,762 battles

They did do a much better job this time around with the dockyard. Would they have done it if there hadn't been a sh!tstorm of complaints here on the forum... maybe, maybe not.

The camo looks so good it's definitely worth the dubs... too bad it doesn't have a better ship to put it on.

• Meh 1

[WOLF8]
Members
7,158 posts
6,107 battles

Well said, Mr. Lert. :Smile_great:

I just wish that we could keep the dockyard, even when the event is over. I really like it, especially the BGM, but I know it's gonna all go away once the event is done. :Smile_sad:

Members
521 posts
4,762 battles

The event would have been better if they hadn’t massacred Odin. I guess when WG is willing to give it to you this cheap you know it’s not going to be great. It can be made to work,  it’s just not comfortable and it’s not competitive which is a real shame. 

• Meh 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,778 posts
23,997 battles

Had it since Wednesday night and haven’t played it yet...

...too busy dealing with other things in game.

Considering how poorly I do with Scharn, I don’t have high hopes for Odin. Likely why I’ve not been in a hurry to play it.

[EQRN]
Members
1,934 posts
16,254 battles

I liked that if you wanted to spend some dubs, you could get steel for “leftover” stages.

[LUCK]
Members
1,844 posts
29,079 battles
6 minutes ago, exray0 said:

The event would have been better if they hadn’t massacred Odin. I guess when WG is willing to give it to you this cheap you know it’s not going to be great. It can be made to work,  it’s just not comfortable and it’s not competitive which is a real shame. 

Really? Learn something new everyday.

ummm...no

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,634 posts
17,955 battles
12 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I liked that if you wanted to spend some dubs, you could get steel for “leftover” stages.

Another good point that I neglected to mention.

[CK5]
Members
1,317 posts
13,355 battles

I agree, give credit where it is due.  WG did a nice job with the Odin event.  The communication was MUCH improved and I was personally very happy to participate.  

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,634 posts
17,955 battles

Welp, my first battle in Odin was a 142k loss. I did torpedo the crap out of a Bismarck though, and he was very salty for me having done so, suggesting some ontowards activities I could do with my torpedoes.

I was amused.

• Funny 3

[WOLFD]
Members
55 posts

I have to agree with Lert 100%. WG did a fine job on dockyard 2.0. Knowing what I was getting into, I happily dropped doubloons to get started for both myself and my other half. I already had Graf Spee but the credits and other rewards were nice. My GF has been having a ball with Graff Spee and is looking forward to getting an Odin of her own after I allowed her to take mine for a spin. I'm hoping they continue to utilize the dockyard events going forward now that they have an example of how to implement it in a community friendly way.

[PHD]
Members
1,321 posts
5,790 battles

I was not really interested in the grind to get Odin, harder to do in PvE mode?

But I did get the Graf Spee, which I wanted and is more my speed. Though the directives I had to complete with a BB were not fun for me and made me not interested in finishing to get the Odin. 

But I suppose that was the point, if you don't want to grind BB missions why do you want the Odin in the first place.:Smile_facepalm:

A very much improved event.:Smile_great:

[KWF]
Members
4,190 posts
6,355 battles

Dockyard per se is a pretty good idea; I would like it to be extended to more ships. For example you could be able to get ships with coal outright as you do now, or put in Dockyard style missions towards a greater discount. This could encourage players to well, play more while offering different routes and choices.

[-1]
Members
585 posts
9,113 battles

I think I prefer the Puerto Rico event. Let me explain: PR grind was kind of impossible so I just gave up and took minor prizes. I wanted the ship but the price was too much. With Odin the grind is relatively easy and I'm almost completed it. The problem is that I don't want this ship but it's such a good deal that it's too hard to resist--I just hate this situation. I see that a lot of people actually bought PR and I'm totally happy with that; I'd like to thank them again for doing this. With Odin... I just feel bad that I'll be getting another ship that I don't like. Yes, I know, WG does not force me to buy--but again--I hate to buy it and I hate to pass on this deal. PR event was so much more straightforward to me.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[TARP]
Members
48 posts

My main quibble is I didn’t get a good view of Graf Spee building. I will likely buy the last two stages, have to decide if I want to get some more dubs and buy a pemium or just the $2 to get the last 125 dubs I need for odin.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,731 posts
3 minutes ago, slowpoke_2 said:

My main quibble is I didn’t get a good view of Graf Spee building. I will likely buy the last two stages, have to decide if I want to get some more dubs and buy a pemium or just the $2 to get the last 125 dubs I need for odin.

More camera control to look around the shipyard would be great if they do it again.

[LANCE]
Members
748 posts
5,625 battles

Agreed!

The directives are coming along nicely and I’m enjoying the dockyard animations and the free stuff I’m earning while completing the directives.

Not sure how far I’ll get before the end but will way up the cost near the end of the event!

Good job WG!

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,931 posts
11,407 battles

For me personally - I think it's a step in the right direction, but still has room for improvement. 

The challenges are still a bit much, particularly on the end that leads to Graf Spee. They still need to ease up a little, either lowering the requirements or stop making missions incredibly specific (must be this tier range, type AND nation, if not ship).

Case in point directive 5 - 5 general missions that can be completed with a bit of grinding that is still a good amount of work, even at 1000 base xp average. If I only had German and Soviet BB's, Italian and Japanese cruisers, UK or German DD's, and didn't play CV's - I'd have to cause 150k damage in a match with only the main battery (no fires, no torps, no secondary), deal 200k in a game, or get 6 achievements in a single battle. I'm sorry but that should not be a thing 'you don't play this line of a nation so you may be unable to complete without some serious luck in a match'

They want to have more specific things - fine, then they should like the 150k and 200k damage missions where if you have that ship/type/nation it's an easier objective to complete, albeit the base one is still reasonable. A good example in directive 3 is 180 secondary hits or 30 in Odin/Scharn. I contest 2500 base xp is high but directive 2 with that or 1100 in P.E.F. Making the one say 1250 main battery hits, or 800 in German BB's would have been good. Only the second one having specifics.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,003 posts
9,951 battles
3 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Largely matches my opinion on the matter.

They seem to have listened to the customer response, and tried to address the problems. 

Here's hoping for more in that direction going forward.

I agree as well.

[INTEL]
Members
12,515 posts
34,740 battles

This event was perfect -- reasonable grind, reasonable rewards. Lots of fun. Great job by WG.

• Cool 1