You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stungray

Why is the WoWs community getting more toxic?

121 comments in this topic

[LG_X]
Members
3 posts
1,704 battles

I know people complain about the game all the time, but I'm genuinely curious if other people have observed things getting worse too, and if so, how to fix it. I have been gaming for over 20 years and have never come across a community so down right mean. It's a shame, I used to really enjoy the game, I've always loved naval and World War II history - in many ways the game is something I could only have dreamt of as a kid. But in the last few months, things seem to have taken a turn for the worse. I can hardly play a single round without people bashing - really going on and on and ruining everything for their teams and each other, whether we're winning or losing. If I'm playing badly, people act like I shivved their grandmother. If I'm playing well, it's the same thing. I'm not going to claim to be a great player, but I do my best to support my team and I always try to lighten the mood in chat. In the past week alone, I have played probably less than 10 rounds, and yet I have been mobbed by several members of my team three times. Twice we won, and both times I was in the upper half of the team... and even several of the losses would have been fun if not for the collective attitude. In the last few months, I have had bullies from in game chat me nasty messages days after the match... DAYS! What kind of bully is so motivated to go after random strangers they played one round of WoWs with? And then there's my clan. Most of them are generally a nice bunch of guys but some of them have gradually been becoming a bunch of condescending jerks... I've noticed that many of the supposedly "friendlier" players in the game are that way a lot, giving advice and passing judgement when it's not asked for.

From my perspective something is seriously wrong, but I don't understand it. Are people acting up because of COVID? Do warship games coincidentally appeal to the worst kinds of human beings? Is it the transactional nature of the game? I'm feeling like I need to uninstall it and just walk away (and of course people will tell me to shut the door behind me, who cares, etc.), but I'm genuinely appealing to you all and Wargaming to think about this... I play WoWs mainly because I like to play it with my brother who I never get to see, or to get a break from my stressful job. I just want to have fun! I don't even need to win all the time! wth! Anybody?

• Cool 15
  • Haha 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,815 posts
13,283 battles
9 minutes ago, Stungray said:

I know people complain about the game all the time, but I'm genuinely curious if other people have observed things getting worse too, and if so, how to fix it. I have been gaming for over 20 years and have never come across a community so down right mean. It's a shame, I used to really enjoy the game, I've always loved naval and World War II history - in many ways the game is something I could only have dreamt of as a kid. But in the last few months, things seem to have taken a turn for the worse. I can hardly play a single round without people bashing - really going on and on and ruining everything for their teams and each other, whether we're winning or losing. If I'm playing badly, people act like I shivved their grandmother. If I'm playing well, it's the same thing. I'm not going to claim to be a great player, but I do my best to support my team and I always try to lighten the mood in chat. In the past week alone, I have played probably less than 10 rounds, and yet I have been mobbed by several members of my team three times. Twice we won, and both times I was in the upper half of the team... and even several of the losses would have been fun if not for the collective attitude. In the last few months, I have had bullies from in game chat me nasty messages days after the match... DAYS! What kind of bully is so motivated to go after random strangers they played one round of WoWs with? And then there's my clan. Most of them are generally a nice bunch of guys but some of them have gradually been becoming a bunch of condescending jerks... I've noticed that many of the supposedly "friendlier" players in the game are that way a lot, giving advice and passing judgement when it's not asked for.

From my perspective something is seriously wrong, but I don't understand it. Are people acting up because of COVID? Do warship games coincidentally appeal to the worst kinds of human beings? Is it the transactional nature of the game? I'm feeling like I need to uninstall it and just walk away (and of course people will tell me to shut the door behind me, who cares, etc.), but I'm genuinely appealing to you all and Wargaming to think about this... I play WoWs mainly because I like to play it with my brother who I never get to see, or to get a break from my stressful job. I just want to have fun! I don't even need to win all the time! wth! Anybody?

TBH, I think it might be a combination of things going on in the world and just in general peoples cultures have shifted less to "respect thy neighbor" and more to "I do what I want."

At the end of the day, believe it or not the overall WoWs community is pretty friendly, more so than most, that being said, every game in existence has its toxic group. I try not to let it get to me, though I know that isn't easy.

-Hapa

• Cool 14

[PEEDZ]
[PEEDZ]
Members
541 posts
2,790 battles

This community is like a paradise compared to others. World of Tanks for instance is even worse. And then there is the like of CoD, Battlefield, Fortnite where squeaky voiced teenagers go on about doing unspeakable things to your family etc. 

• Cool 8

[TBW]
Members
9,957 posts
16,768 battles

Seek out and look for the good and the toxic element seems greatly subdued, it's up to you yourself to produce good feelings.

• Cool 1

[MEIST]
Members
1,434 posts
5,626 battles
6 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

TBH, I think it might be a combination of things going on in the world and just in general peoples cultures have shifted less to "respect thy neighbor" and more to "I do what I want."

At the end of the day, believe it or not the overall WoWs community is pretty friendly, more so than most, that being said, every game in existence has its toxic group. I try not to let it get to me, though I know that isn't easy.

-Hapa

People in general have become a lot more toxic, see it a lot more now. I agree, that the people in WOWs is less toxic than in other games.

Edited by jager_geist
  • Cool 2

[MIBR]
[MIBR]
Members
887 posts
24 minutes ago, Stungray said:

You should not go away because of others.

I mainly play alone and have pretty much fun!

I already had bad messages on my chat, what have i done? I tried to ask for tips. Life is already stressful and i play to relief stress from my work too. As for now for example i am working and writing here. This game is to have fun. It has its historical cntent but fantasy cntent too. It add everything and brings up many kind of people. There are girls streaming, girls playing causa of the pretty content, or their beloved charcters from other franchises (collab stuff). There are those just willing to see historical ships, others for the paper ships, the ones willing to kill in the name of the emperor.

I would say. Pay no attention to ones trying to get you down. There are frustrated people everywhere. Do not stop something you like cause of others. They will eventually see they lost the reason and go back from that kind of attitude.

Of course everyones wants to win, but that are 2 teams, just 1 can we, so only 50% in the match will win.

I am not good also, most of times i am carried. Sometimes i do more, sometimes i do less for the win/loss. 

I am still learning and having a lot of fun. Believe me, there are communities a lot worse thn this one.

As Hapa said, there are a bunch of cool people on this community, the angry ones are the vast minority.

Have fun! there are a lot of cool ships to explore and learn! a lot of features!

COVID will change the world, forever! Some already understood the message, others will get in no time.

Play with your brother! Be happy!

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,637 posts

It is a very deep-rooted issue which cannot be solved on this forum, to be sure. The best we can hope for here are mods who hold the reins at all times. 

I appreciate the mods here as I think they do a pretty good job. Having been a mod for a LI group ~ 20K people, I can tell you it is a thankless job.

• Meh 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,796 posts
4,606 battles
38 minutes ago, Stungray said:

I'm genuinely curious if other people have observed things getting worse too,

Quite the contrary.  This may be the least toxic forum in gaming (pace bronies).  And instead of getting worse, it's getting better.  Yeah, people go off ever once in a while, but in any topic of length you will find an actual discussion (and often some friendly trolling).  It's a pleasure to hang out here.

If you mean in-game chat, well all bets are off.  My exchanges there are usually cordial and often fun, but I haven't been playing much this year so I wouldn't have noticed degradation.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,637 posts
2 minutes ago, Felipe_1982 said:

You should not go away because of others.

I agree - if/when you go away, make it a break. Or better yet, do what teachers and others do... go on sabbatical. If you really enjoy gaming - as I do - you'll find other gaming options for your enjoyment. Other genres, styles of games can really help keep perspective. 

If you long-term feel it's going south, like a plane falling out of the sky, wings on fire and no stabilizer, don't spend money or time on any game. You'll just hate yourself for being addicted to the game. So do take a break - cause writing about it here indicates a break might be good for ya! 

Some of us will be around when you come back for another shot. 

[XXX]
Members
425 posts
782 battles

By and large you guys on NA are, even ingame, actually stupidly friendly even compared to the EU crowd...not sure what that says out of the EU side though.

[LG_X]
Members
3 posts
1,704 battles

Thanks everyone, cheers me up a bit to see a lot of meaningful replies.

I am concerned that if the WoWs community is as you say, not that bad, well... then things must be getting worse everywhere. Maybe WG and other game developers should start finding ways to turn positive karma and compliments into something that players actually try to accumulate. Even if it gets people to do the right things for the wrong reasons, it would be a start.

• Meh 1

[JMMAF]
Members
2,018 posts
6,677 battles
31 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

-Hapa

started in aug of '16, and this forum is a LOT more friendly than it was the first couple years. no comparison.

if you started a thread of this nature, you would have been trolled hard, repeatedly, and literally torn apart one hour after posting it. zero mercy. there are very few of those players left, at least that still post.

we also have more helpful posts, both from CCs and regular players. multiple players responding to help requests and confusion from players is no longer a rarity, it happens all the time.

i'm  nowhere close to a good player, although i have my moments, but i am not going to sugarcoat some of the problems in the game. (MM, RNG, slaughters) it's frustrating, and many of us play to burn off frustrations, not add to the pile. when hundreds of players have had complaints about the same thing, repeatedly, and the response is "working as intended" combined with "soon" and then we get another set of nerfs in the name of balance and reborks that make it worse, THAT'S frustrating.

i don't know how much it contributes to some of the toxicity in battle chat, it could be you're right, and it has nothing to do with gameplay. Then again, maybe it does?

it would cool my occasional rage if i felt WG devs were at least looking into it, after 6-7 slaughter losses in a row...

spud

• Cool 5

Members
1,563 posts
33,869 battles

I don't care to fly,

Rework WG CVs.

But players use them, I do too, and it makes me look so mean.

I'm more than a bird, more than a plane. I potato like I am a BB main.

I play all the ships, like fun is the same.

But some players feel salty in the game.

In spite of meeeee-eeee.

And I blame RNGGGGGEEEE.

Notser goes weeeeee at the sight of treeeeesss.

O bugger meeeee, I can't finish this song easssyyy.

Somebody halp meeeee, my hands are crampyyyyeee.

• Funny 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Members
142 posts
6,534 battles
40 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

-Hapa

Yes, I would have to agree with this. People’s attitudes have shifted in general, where its ‘me first, and no one is going to tell what to do.
This certainly isn’t just a gaming community issue either.

I actually enjoy WoWS community for the most part, especially if you compare it to WoT.

• Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
103 posts
13 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

By and large you guys on NA are, even ingame, actually stupidly friendly even compared to the EU crowd...not sure what that says out of the EU side though.

I don't know what you're talking about. I've played MMOs with lots of Russian players and they are simply the friendliest people you'll ever meet! They like to congratulate you in chat by saying "cyka blyat!" I'm pretty sure that means "nice play, comrade" in Russian. 

• Funny 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Members
1,563 posts
33,869 battles

I do know of a player that said that a guy like me, should wear a warning. That I am so dangerous, that I make them fall in.

I swear, I heard these words before....

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,815 posts
13,283 battles
1 minute ago, HamAndCheez said:

I don't know what you're talking about. I've played MMOs with lots of Russian players and they are simply the friendliest people you'll ever meet! They like to congratulate you in chat by saying "cyka blyat!" I'm pretty sure that means "nice play, comrade" in Russian. 

I love your avatar! LMAO!

Anyhew, IMO this is the main reason I wanted to get into Community Management. Because IMO I would like to think, in a small portion I could influence peoples interactions online. Since being behind a keyboard tends to sometimes remove peoples ability to be just simply civil with people, which I have a problem with.

Just be kind, decent human beings with each other and everything will be okay.  At the end of the day, you can't necessarily control the actions of those on the other side, but you can influence them if you work with your fellow community members to TRY to push a narrative towards more civil interactions.

but thats just my 2 doubloons...

-Hapa

• Cool 3

[SIM]
Members
4,722 posts
7,770 battles

A difficult and unforgiving game when combined with a fanbase largely composed of grumpy older men is always going to result in a lot frustration. The fact that WG sponsors some CCs that quite happily fan the flames for outrage clicks doesn’t help matters. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 4

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,073 posts

Anyone putting forward an idea of any kind here, I swear, the first thing they post is a YAWN.

No reason why, nothing.. except that they want to feel superior and be an [edited]at the same time.

I pity those people...

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

Members
609 posts
16,455 battles

PVP games bring out the best in people. NOT

Society is full of cry baby D-bags that can't handle it when they find out they aren't the best of the best. Overly competitive high school jock syndrome follows them off the high school football field as they get too old to be in high school and these people never grow up passed high school aged mindsets. Also they hate their IRL life so they rage about it on the internet. Just look at reddit. That place is full of low self esteem jerks bashing on anything and everything that moves.

Everything OP said is why my in game chat is turned off and always will be. There is nothing of value in that box.

Edited by MackDye
  • Cool 3

[RKLES]
Members
12,440 posts
14,145 battles
11 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Yeah well there are regions of NA that are well known for in general being laid back and really friendly like the Southern US, Hawaii, and I think at least some of Canada and Mexico. Really I suppose it’s mainly just some cities or areas of cities that will get more generally unfriendly in NA. 

[LG_X]
Members
3 posts
1,704 battles

Huh, I guess that's the trick. No more in game chat, I'll come here when I want to talk WoWs going forward. Thank you

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
40 posts

X box 360 COD lobbies were home of some of the most obscene and entertaining trash talk

WOW chat is G rated in comparison. 🥔😂

• Haha 1