Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Odin Build

19 comments in this topic

Members
521 posts
4,762 battles

Secondary build for me.

PT / EL / AR / BFT / AFT / Mansec / CE

[HINON]
Members
12,966 posts

The most effective build would be survival but if you like playing with secondaries, try a hybrid build. 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,016 posts
16,169 battles

Congrats on acquiring the Odin; it's been a really fun ship for me so far. 

I'll spell my build out since the abbreviations get to be a bit much:

Priority Target, Expert Marksmen, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training, Concealment Expert

I still get my secondaries firing out to 11.6 kilometers and to be honest I like dropping the manual part. They've saved me quite a few times when they start firing at a destroyer that pops up that I didn't see. 

Slainte. 

Here's to fair winds and a following sea! - Steve the Pirate 2 ...

• Cool 1

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,531 posts
18,815 battles

You are wasting skill points if you do secondary build spec BB commanders for the Odin. That skill got nerfed.  Below is what I have for my Odin

Consumables – Spotter plane, and Hydro

Equipment
==
Slot 1- Main Armaments Modification 1
Slot 2- Hydro Boost Modification 1
Slot 3- Aiming Systems Modification 1
Slot 4- Steering Gears Modification 2
Slot 5- Concealment System Modification 1

Signal Flags Key: X= mount -= No mount
==
- X - - X
X X X X X X
  X X - - X
- - - - - - 
   - -

Commander skill sets
==
1-  Priority Target
3-  Adrenaline Rush
6-  Superintendent
10- Fire Prevention
14- Concealment Expert
16- Expert Marksman
17- Expert Loader
19- Jack of all Trades

Edited by Tpaktop2_1
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 4

[-BUI-]
Members
1,777 posts
5,178 battles
3 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Just got her and am wondering if a full survival build or hybrid survival/ secondary build is better. TIA

If a ship is capable of long range secondaries, and you don't build for them, you aren't playing the ship to its full potential.

• Cool 1

Members
796 posts
5,464 battles

The only problem with the secondaries is they’re firing angles when compared to peers. Once the get wound up though they can be nasty.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,955 posts
13,161 battles
1 hour ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

That skill got nerfed.

How? When?

• Cool 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,016 posts
16,169 battles
7 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

You are wasting skill points if you do secondary build spec BB commanders for the Odin. That skill got nerfed.  

What "skill" are you referring to? 

I am confused | Computer Reaction Faces | Know Your Meme

[WOLFD]
Members
55 posts

I am sure it depends on how you like to play but in a German BB, I want to brawl. Swapped in my 19 pointer from Tirpitz(secondary build) and went to town. So far it has been fun and those secondary guns are pretty destructive on their own.

Members
83 posts

This may be controversial, but I find that Odin is far better at pulling off a secondary build than GK. She has concealment and can be built for steering, letting you get in and out of bad situations to heal up. She does suffer from the low HP if you're not careful, but if you use that concealment and pick your fights she can actually get in to do damage with the secondaries and live to tell about it. 

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,531 posts
18,815 battles
20 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How? When?

14 hours ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

What "skill" are you referring to? 

It has been this way since day one. 

22:48 Discussion on secondaries for Battleships. Note what Flamu points out with Bots aiming system with the AI using secondary gunnery. This aiming flaw has not been address yet by WG, nor will it ever be IMO corrected. You can use the Manual secondary skill, however I believe the 4 points for the commander skill can be better used elsewhere.This is the reason why I have suggested the Odin my build.

13 hours ago, CaptEvul said:

I am sure it depends on how you like to play but in a German BB, I want to brawl. Swapped in my 19 pointer from Tirpitz(secondary build) and went to town. So far it has been fun and those secondary guns are pretty destructive on their own.

The Odin is not a brawler. It is a sniping BB. It has the worst HP health Pool for its tier as a battleship. It is prone to more Turret criticals. Its armor is weak for a BB. The gunnery will be challenging in penetrating tier 9 cruisers. The Odin HE is poor in damage. WG has released many premiums of late that are inferior of putting in enjoyment in playing WoWS. The Tripitz, now that is a brawler BB.

Edited by Tpaktop2_1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 2
  • Meh 1

Beta Testers
799 posts
2,997 battles
22 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

Huh?

I think he is auditioning for Cap's role in Bad Advice.

Odin's main battery is trash tier for Tier VIII. It cannot penetrate BB main armor at range and cannot overmatch anything. HE is lousy. Theoretical armor-piercing DPM is only average, which means poor considering the lack of pen and overmatch. It takes a BB matchmaking spot.

This ship needs to use its other weapons systems, much more than Massachusetts, Georgia or even Tirpitz.

Members
796 posts
5,464 battles

This thing is a bully just like Tirpitz but you have to be more conscious of your position so you don’t get HE melted. Otherwise the HP thing is only a problem for people that can’t tank or angle. The torps trade poor firing angle for safer location in that they get taken out less since they’re in the back half of the ship which means they’re more likely to be there when you need them. There are different accuracy values for different ship secondaries so I’m not sure what dude was talking about AI aiming. LWM includes the info in her Odin review.

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
Members
769 posts
23,922 battles
1 hour ago, BlackAngelCom said:

I think he is auditioning for Cap's role in Bad Advice.

Odin's main battery is trash tier for Tier VIII. It cannot penetrate BB main armor at range and cannot overmatch anything. HE is lousy. Theoretical armor-piercing DPM is only average, which means poor considering the lack of pen and overmatch. It takes a BB matchmaking spot.

This ship needs to use its other weapons systems, much more than Massachusetts, Georgia or even Tirpitz.

Over match is great and all but the 305 can work fine , you can chunk 5-10 off of anything 8-18 km away just aim at a little higher than you would in other BBs

Plays like a super cruiser more than a BB

[WOLFD]
Members
55 posts

I find the notion that Odin is best utilized as a sniping somewhat comical. As stated by other in this thread, her main battery overall is meh. The AP shells have pen issues and longer engagement ranges will only exacerbate those issues. Odin's secondary armament is quite good and having those hard hitting torps demonstrates that she is intended to get in close. With the smallish hit point pool and her armor layout, you have to pay attention to positioning and proper angling for sure. I would not just sail off into B cap without knowing what enemies I would be exposing my broadsides too, and I certainly wouldn't try to get in too close to an alert Kremlin or GK. It's not Tirpitz or GK. It is a different animal, but still pretty fun.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,955 posts
13,161 battles
6 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

It has been this way since day one.  

Then by your own logic it didn't GET nerfed; it always WAS nerfed.

Flamu wants secondaries to do a particular, specific thing, which is to target the enemy ship's upper-works specifically at all ranges rather than only smacking the belt close in. He knows they don't. He and everybody else needs either to accept this and take the secondaries for what they are or not to spec so heavily into them in the first place.

If something in WOWS doesn't work the way you want it to, maybe you need to play to suit the way it works. Or be the one to find a new twist on the mechanism which allows you to succeed with it.

Me? I like what the secondary build does for me. You don't like it? Fine, then don't build into it. But don't make your default position to belittle anyone who takes a different path.

Members
596 posts
5,440 battles

IMO Odin is neither a sniper nor a brawler, but a mid-range flanker.  The AP pen drops off too much at range to be useful as a sniper; and with a full secondary build (less MFCS) I found that the dispersion on the secondaries was terrible, and getting close enough to use them often resulted in getting focused which Odin cannot handle at all. Maybe my RNG just sucks, but in several games where I was well within secondary range (and angled enough for them to get going) I only wound up with maybe 1/3 of the secondary hits I would have expected (and gotten with say a GK).  Its possible that with the dispersion buff that comes with MFCS they might actually be usable.  At any rate I have since dropped the secondary build and plan to start using the concealment to try to set up flanking shots on broadside ships where the lower AP pen can be mitigated somewhat.  I do wish Odin had a wee bit more speed, but we'll see how it goes...

Sign in to follow this