You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Odin and the 90% discount claim.

12 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
19,967 posts
14,258 battles

I admit to being cynical about this, because we all know the 3500 doubloon minimum you have to pay to get her is only a 90% discount if you compare it to the exorbitant "buy her right at the start" price of 35,000 doubloons. Right?

That was what I thought until after I finished the event last night and bought her, and considered exactly what I got by paying those 3500 doubloons.

1) A Tier 8 premium battleship.

2) A 10 point captain.

3) 10,000 coal.

Can we set a doubloon value on the coal? Yes we can. If you look at the prices for Anshan, Blyskawica and Marblehead in the premium shop, the same amount of money will buy you 4000, 5100 and 3400 doubloons respectively. That's exactly one tenth of each ship's price in coal in the Armory. We don't have any Tier 8 coal ships as a direct comparison, but Georgia - for which I paid 228,000 coal - will give you back 19,000 doubloons as a duplicate compensation if you buy her from the shop after already having her. That's a 12:1 exchange and probably a Tier 9 thing, so we'll stick with 1 doubloon = 10 coal for now.

I'm also rolling the cost of the port slot into the value of the ship, to keep things simple.

So let's look again at what I got for my 3500 doubloons.

A 10 point captain in the Armory can be had for 1,500 doubloons, and I can't think of a  bare-bones Armory or premium shop ship purchase that actually supplies a 10 pointer. So this would normally be extra, if you wanted one up front.

10,000 coal has a value of 1,000 doubloons, on the basis of what we have calculated above.

That's 2,500 doubloons worth, leaving just 1000 for the actual ship (or a mere 700 if you want to separate out the port slot at this stage).

Odin isn't sold in the premium shop or the Armory, so what's a fair price for her? The closest thing to her in game is the Tier 7 Scharnhorst. The cash price for the Scharnhorst will buy you 9800 doubloons, or 9500 if you subtract the port slot. However, that's a Tier 7 price and Odin is Tier 8, so let's go for the nearest thing in her nation - Tirpitz, whose cash price is equivalent to 12,800 doubloons or 12,500 without the slot. Averaging the slot-free prices gives exactly 11,000 doubloons.

If we agree on 11,000 as a "fair price" for Odin, then the 1000 doubloons that actually falls on her once we count out the other goodies is actually LESS than 10% and Wargaming's claim of a 90% discount is justified.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 1

Members
1,581 posts
24,995 battles

Rats... now I must reconsider my "no buy" decision.... :P

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I admit to being cynical about this, because we all know the 3500 doubloon minimum you have to pay to get her is only a 90% discount if you compare it to the exorbitant "buy her right at the start" price of 35,000 doubloons. Right?

That was what I thought until after I finished the event last night and bought her, and considered exactly what I got by paying those 3500 doubloons.

1) A Tier 8 premium battleship.

2) A 10 point captain.

3) 10,000 coal.

Can we set a doubloon value on the coal? Yes we can. If you look at the prices for Anshan, Blyskawica and Marblehead in the premium shop, the same amount of money will buy you 4000, 5100 and 3400 doubloons respectively. That's exactly one tenth of each ship's price in coal in the Armory. We don't have any Tier 8 coal ships as a direct comparison, but Georgia - for which I paid 228,000 coal - will give you back 19,000 doubloons as a duplicate compensation if you buy her from the shop after already having her. That's a 12:1 exchange and probably a Tier 9 thing, so we'll stick with 1 doubloon = 10 coal for now.

I'm also rolling the cost of the port slot into the value of the ship, to keep things simple.

So let's look again at what I got for my 3500 doubloons.

A 10 point captain in the Armory can be had for 1,500 doubloons, and I can't think of a  bare-bones Armory or premium shop ship purchase that actually supplies a 10 pointer. So this would normally be extra, if you wanted one up front.

10,000 coal has a value of 1,000 doubloons, on the basis of what we have calculated above.

That's 2,500 doubloons worth, leaving just 1000 for the actual ship (or a mere 700 if you want to separate out the port slot at this stage).

Odin isn't sold in the premium shop or the Armory, so what's a fair price for her? The closest thing to her in game is the Tier 7 Scharnhorst. The cash price for the Scharnhorst will buy you 9800 doubloons, or 9500 if you subtract the port slot. However, that's a Tier 7 price and Odin is Tier 8, so let's go for the nearest thing in her nation - Tirpitz, whose cash price is equivalent to 12,800 doubloons or 12,500 without the slot. Averaging the slot-free prices gives exactly 11,000 doubloons.

If we agree on 11,000 as a "fair price" for Odin, then the 1000 doubloons that actually falls on her once we count out the other goodies is actually LESS than 10% and Wargaming's claim of a 90% discount is justified.

I am 1 mission away from it!!!!!!

[1984]
Members
4,120 posts
19,840 battles

Given its hp and mouses review it should not cost the same as derpitz.

nevertheless, 3500 for a tier 8 bb seems like a good price to me (the percentages are just marketing to drive CTA).

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-BSK-]
Members
471 posts
19,061 battles

it's a pretty good ship too

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,695 posts

The exact percentage is not the important thing IMO.

It's getting a tier 8 premium German BB for a far more reasonable price than normal. 

[ARGSY]
Members
19,967 posts
14,258 battles
18 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The exact percentage is not the important thing IMO.

It's getting a tier 8 premium German BB for a far more reasonable price than normal. 

Oh for sure. 3500 doubloons is at the very least a 60% discount depending on which Tier 8 premium battleship you compare it to. But I felt exploring that cost breakdown, especially since I hadn't realised until just before I bought her that she came with a 10 point captain. I can't remember if PR came with one or not, but even the Premium Shop bundles don't have 10 pointers unless you buy a bundle that costs about twice as much as the base ship.

Really she's just a somewhat beefier Scharnhorst, with the uplift to Tier 8 justified by having hydro and torpedoes in the same package for the first time in a German battleship (or any nation's battleship, for that matter; I can't think of any other that has both).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[HELLS]
Members
2,660 posts
27,035 battles

My objection has never been about the cost. Odin is a bargain at the price, and a decent ship based on the preliminary game stats so far, but not OP by any means. It is simply the fact that WG has handed us another might-have-been paper ship concept, and by now everyone on the forums knows my opinion about paper ships. I will finish up the free stuff on the weekend, but I doubt very much if I am going to spring for enough doubloons to buy her. Enough said.

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016
  • Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
19,967 posts
14,258 battles
3 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

It is simply the fact that WG has handed us another might-have-been paper ship concept, and by now everyone on the forums knows my opinion about paper ships.

You are free to be as displeased with this as you wish. However, remember that others do not share this very subjective opinion.

[SLDR]
Members
250 posts
9,995 battles

I didn't have the Graf Spee and had been eyeing it for the longest time. So far me, 3500 dubs for the Odin AND the Graf Spee was the steal of the century.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles

Real reason to spend more doubloons than the bare minimum.

526487305_Odinaww.gif.3fcd8c61c683bef4bf289ac33f79764f.gif

[O_O]
Members
6,425 posts
15,262 battles

The dockyard event for Puerto Rico was an infuriating disaster.

The dockyard event for Odin was much, much, MUCH better!  WG did a pretty good job of making the directives achievable, and made the excellent dockyard concept something most of the player base could enjoy.

I have a some more damage to administer in destroyers and I will be ready to buy the last two stages.