Patosentado

Grinding the line but not enjoying it

27 comments in this topic

[ARCO]
Members
833 posts
1,287 battles

Ia have recently started grinding the line, arrived up to tier VI (Vasteras) and I dont find the point of those ships, guns do not have punch, turrets turn like Warspite ones, and torps do little damage.

I enjoyed a lot French DDs, Is it worth to continues to the "good ones" supposed to be VIII and more?

[SALVO]
Members
24,794 posts
25,871 battles
30 minutes ago, Patosentado said:

Ia have recently started grinding the line, arrived up to tier VI (Vasteras) and I dont find the point of those ships, guns do not have punch, turrets turn like Warspite ones, and torps do little damage.

I enjoyed a lot French DDs, Is it worth to continues to the "good ones" supposed to be VIII and more?

There's a significant change in the EU DD play style when you move from tier 6 to tier 7.   The tier 5 and 6 DDs tend to be better off being less aggressive because of their turrets.  But the tier 7 and higher DDs really establish the EU DD stay style meta.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,026 posts
11,588 battles

It is - once you start getting to tier 7 and 8 they become more 'Friesland with torps' 

pretty accurate to rate of fire it feels like at times -

7A2n.gif

• Cool 1

Members
543 posts
31,672 battles

these things suck I don't care how fast or how often the torps reload they never hit anything  I believe the torp guide is off  slow ship no smoke slow turrets no way to break contact with other Dds  so what if it can magically shoot down a couple of planes  It still gets rocketed to death and this is at T 9   THEY SUCK

• Haha 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,240 posts
12,656 battles
On 8/8/2020 at 11:16 PM, Capt_Q_Sparrow said:

these things suck I don't care how fast or how often the torps reload they never hit anything  I believe the torp guide is off  slow ship no smoke slow turrets no way to break contact with other Dds  so what if it can magically shoot down a couple of planes  It still gets rocketed to death and this is at T 9   THEY SUCK

I don't win a lot in Oysterboat but she probably has the highest torpedo hit rate of all my ships.

image.png.aba52cd4a102828db69443e391020562.png

Members
543 posts
31,672 battles

It' s for sure the ship is a loser 36 % win rate with 10 % torp hit rate . it really isn't a ship that can do enough damage to really make any difference . I'll take a fletcher over this thing any day . it's detect is so so guns leave a lot to be desired speed is sub par , maneuvering sure isn't anything special . 90 kot torps sound great but any ship movement made after you fire those torps guarantees a miss . These ships all need some help . This entire line so far has been crap as far as I'm concerned 

Edited by Capt_Q_Sparrow

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,240 posts
12,656 battles
4 hours ago, Capt_Q_Sparrow said:

It' s for sure the ship is a loser 36 % win rate with 10 % torp hit rate . it really isn't a ship that can do enough damage to really make any difference . I'll take a fletcher over this thing any day . it's detect is so so guns leave a lot to be desired speed is sub par , maneuvering sure isn't anything special . 90 kot torps sound great but any ship movement made after you fire those torps guarantees a miss . These ships all need some help . This entire line so far has been crap as far as I'm concerned 

Oyster has the 2nd highest average damage after Asashio among all my DDs. On NA server, she also has higher average damage than Yugumo and Fletcher, 2 of the standard bearers of T9 DDs. So I don't think damage is an issue with her.

Members
543 posts
31,672 battles

I'll out perform an Oster blender with my Fletcher any day . and woe to the oster that comes within detection range of me with my fletcher 

Members
3,090 posts
6,653 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_Q_Sparrow said:

I'll out perform an Oster blender with my Fletcher any day . and woe to the oster that comes within detection range of me with my fletcher 

So in other words, the line isn't your thing? Well... OK. No one says you have to play it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,240 posts
12,656 battles

If you think concealment is the reason you are not doing well in Oyster or Halland, consider adding Radio Location skill to your commander. And learn to use it to give yourself a better idea where the red DDs are and decide if you want to engage.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
1,233 posts
10,320 battles
On 8/10/2020 at 7:38 PM, chewonit said:

Oyster has the 2nd highest average damage after Asashio among all my DDs. On NA server, she also has higher average damage than Yugumo and Fletcher, 2 of the standard bearers of T9 DDs. So I don't think damage is an issue with her.

I enjoy playing EU DDs.  The Oyster does plenty of damage. It just lacks killing power at critical moments.  

Halland is new to me, so jury is still out. I do have big damage numbers after 10 battles.

Members
543 posts
31,672 battles
On 8/11/2020 at 9:21 AM, chewonit said:

If you think concealment is the reason you are not doing well in Oyster or Halland, consider adding Radio Location skill to your commander. And learn to use it to give yourself a better idea where the red DDs are and decide if you want to engage.

it's all about concealment and speed with DDs both of which are lacking in the entire line  once spotted there is no way to break contact with another DD as they are so slow and there is no smoke rpf helps but what good is that  you continually retreat and get nothing done . It's a terrible line 

Members
543 posts
31,672 battles
On 8/10/2020 at 10:33 PM, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

So in other words, the line isn't your thing? Well... OK. No one says you have to play it.

it's a weak line no way to break contact slow ship speed poor detect slow turret speed and under gunned not the most maneuverable  torps reload quick  and go fast but that just means the slightest enemy maneuvering  and they miss .

Members
543 posts
31,672 battles
On 8/16/2020 at 8:34 PM, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

I enjoy playing EU DDs.  The Oyster does plenty of damage. It just lacks killing power at critical moments.  

Halland is new to me, so jury is still out. I do have big damage numbers after 10 battles.

damage #'s starting to go up but still way too many crap games and losses  it's just too weak 

[SYN]
Members
1,233 posts
10,320 battles
7 hours ago, Capt_Q_Sparrow said:

damage #'s starting to go up but still way too many crap games and losses  it's just too weak 

The line does give losses with impressive numbers. 

I don't know that weak is the word, it lacks the flexibility that other dds have. 

[TFLT]
Members
280 posts
13,270 battles
8 hours ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

The line does give losses with impressive numbers. 

I don't know that weak is the word, it lacks the flexibility that other dds have. 

That sums up my experience with the line so far and from what I can observe when others play them. In a relatively small, fragile ship like a DD you need a way to break contact and control engagements that this line doesn't give the player it seems?  Of course some players will be more comfortable in them than others but overall this line tends to die eventually even in good games when an unexpected/unwanted contact with another DD occurs. Personally I prefer high damage slower torps to low damage faster ones. I want to be able to pop out from island cover and sink a full hp BB with a couple full racks. Personally I end up with better damage in US DDs because over the years I have really mastered getting the most damage out of a long US smoke. The torps are just for keeping cruisers from rushing me or bonus damage on BBs that aren't paying attention the way I play. Sometimes area denial or catching people on corners that are often easy spots to pick up some blind torps.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
1,233 posts
10,320 battles
15 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

That sums up my experience

So far in Halland (12 games), I seem to be finding a window that I can spot and get damage. I have to rein myself in in the Halland because there is no room for error. I had that problem in the Ostergotland,  but curiously,  I had a really good wr in Oland with a lower average damage.

We will see how the Halland goes. 

[BBMOD]
Members
348 posts
5,767 battles

This line requires a cautious and patient playstyle. Sort of like IJN torpedo boats but sort of not.

Members
707 posts
5,735 battles

Im my experience this line seems to be very much feast or famine.  If your experience is anything like mine, you'll have a string of 3-4 so-so games followed by a great game with tons of damage, then a few more so-so games, and so on.  They definitely require patience and more conservative play or giant balls of steel and the will to make a risky play pay off.  Sometimes both in the same game.  I enjoy Halland quite a bit, despite the CV-heavy meta and in fact have my second best damage game ever in it; a 254k loss.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,240 posts
12,656 battles

Halland has the best win rate among my tech tree T10 DDs. Her damage is above average too. Östergötland has the highest damage by far of my T9 DDs while win rate is a bit low. They are my favorite DDs right now.

• Cool 1

Members
543 posts
31,672 battles

finally gritted my teeth through the Oster grind to the Halland and what a difference so far . I think I can work with this . the quintuple launcher makes a huge difference .  Now I just need to grind it out to a 19 point capt and see what happens . 7-1 so far. This ship can affect a battle outcome . and i only have a 10 point commander in it .

Edited by Capt_Q_Sparrow

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,918 posts
2,432 battles
On 8/21/2020 at 11:28 AM, Uncle_Lou said:

Im my experience this line seems to be very much feast or famine.  If your experience is anything like mine, you'll have a string of 3-4 so-so games followed by a great game with tons of damage, then a few more so-so games, and so on.  They definitely require patience and more conservative play or giant balls of steel and the will to make a risky play pay off.  Sometimes both in the same game.  I enjoy Halland quite a bit, despite the CV-heavy meta and in fact have my second best damage game ever in it; a 254k loss.

I kind of feel this way myself.   So far I am only at Tier 8 but for the most part I am finding that sometimes I have an amazing game but often I go out with nothing but a whimper.  There really is no in between with these either it seems.

I thought I really would like the Euro line because I have generally been a cruiser main and to be honest, these feel a lot like a very fragile cruiser, rather than a DD if I have to be honest.   The torps are fun but like a lot of people mentioned, the inability to break contact in such a fragile ship is quite the problem.  RPF is required in my opinion.  

As far as the line itself, I had a lot of fun with the Tier 6 and 7 both of which I did fairly well in but I have been struggling at Tier 8.  I think it is because Tier 8 has so many great DDs in it that the Oland has trouble competing at times.  

As far as the torps go, I think the trick to using them is learning how to aim without targeting the enemy ship.  As people have mentioned the speed generally means if there is any change to your targets course, you miss and most people, by tier 8 most people have picked up on the telltale priority target indicator showing a brief blip as a DD targets you for torps, so they automatically start maneuvering a bit. 

I will go back to what I said about them feeling like a fragile cruiser though, I think this is kind of how you have to play them.  What you generally don't want to do is try to go head to head against an enemy DD.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,386 posts
16,187 battles
24 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

by tier 8 most people have picked up on the telltale priority target indicator showing a brief blip as a DD targets you for torps, so they automatically start maneuvering a bit. 

Of course its fun to mess with the target and keep switching to torps and back, even when they are on cool down. If nothing else, the torp lead indicator gives some pretty valuable info, even if not firing torps.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,918 posts
2,432 battles
16 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Of course its fun to mess with the target and keep switching to torps and back, even when they are on cool down. If nothing else, the torp lead indicator gives some pretty valuable info, even if not firing torps.

Yeah, you can area denial by just messing with people this way.   Also, though I haven't learned the trick of it yet, I saw some videos were a guy would use the torp indicator on another ship in the area, to eyeball the correct targeting for the ship he really wanted to hit.  He managed many consistent hits doing that.  I think if you can master aiming without using the indicator, that is when the Halland will shine.  Those 86-90 knot torps are hard to dodge when you don't have a clue its coming.  

Unfortunately that Tier 8 Oland doesn't have 90 knot torps and it only has 3 torps per spread which make landing reliable hits much harder to do.

Members
707 posts
5,735 battles
3 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

Unfortunately that Tier 8 Oland doesn't have 90 knot torps and it only has 3 torps per spread which make landing reliable hits much harder to do.

Yeah, Oland is at a weird place.  Skane has enough guns, Ostergotland has enough torps; Oland really has neither and as a result can be rather challenging.  Oland is really the introduction to the high tier gameplay of the Pan-Euro DDs but lacks the tools to really execute it.  Oster is quite good at tier 9 and is a really nice improvement over the earlier boats. 

Early game pre-emptive launches at choke points or across typical travel routes can be very rewarding.  With the high speed, excellent range, and quick reload you can very often surprise enemies who don't expect the early torps and are driving slow and straight.  I also see a lot of hits on ships I never knew were there or that I was not aiming at.  Distracted enemies are another prime target.  When things come together in this line, it honestly leaves me feeling a little dirty because it can be SO easy.  That 254k game I had, most of that damage came against 2 BBs.  They kept sailing together so neither could turn out, and were busy shooting my teammates so I just kept farming them.  Great damage game, but it didn't matter because my team fell apart and for all that damage I netted exactly zero kills.  Oh well. 

Consistently hitting torps without using the lead indicator is something I still cannot do well.  I need to work on it more often.  Something I do try sometimes as a bit of a handicap and/or deception is to get the lead indicator on the ship I want to hit and sort of 'memorize' it then target a different ship for several seconds before launching where the remembered lead indicator is.  My theory being that if they are no longer targeted and PT isn't going up/down by one several times they may feel safer and less likely to alter course/speed.  Tends to be very hit or miss for me; pun intended.

Again, I do enjoy the line even in the current meta; I feel like learning to be successful in smokeless DDs can only improve my game in DDs WITH smoke that much more.  (Though oddly enough the French DDs do NOT agree with me at all)  TBH my sense is that they wiggle well enough that you can dodge or mitigate the worst of the damage most of the time if you get caught out unexpectedly.  When you get punished hard, that's how you know you messed up with your positioning.  Learn from it and move on.

• Cool 1