Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WhitemaneTTV

Half a Billion!!

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

10
[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,348 battles

So I was born in Kansas City, Missouri. I have been a Chiefs fan my whole life. You can imagine my excitement over the team over these past few years with Patrick Mahomes at the helm. The dude just signed the biggest contract in American Sports History and I feel he is worth every penny of it.

 

I am posting to see if there are any other Chiefs fans hanging about?! But also to get all NFL fans perspectives of the contract our boy just signed!

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,889
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,071 posts
19,197 battles

Like there is going to be any football this year, LOL!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,900
Alpha Tester
6,439 posts
3,249 battles
2 hours ago, WhitemaneTTV said:

So I was born in Kansas City, Missouri. I have been a Chiefs fan my whole life. You can imagine my excitement over the team over these past few years with Patrick Mahomes at the helm. The dude just signed the biggest contract in American Sports History and I feel he is worth every penny of it.

 

I am posting to see if there are any other Chiefs fans hanging about?! But also to get all NFL fans perspectives of the contract our boy just signed!

You realize that this means that when the contracts of the rest of the players are up, the Chiefs won't be able to afford to resign them, right? Pretty soon, KC's just going to be Mahomes and a bunch of bargain-bin nobodies.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,348 battles
6 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Who are the Chefs?

😏

lol, they in the back of the Golden Corral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,348 battles
3 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

You realize that this means that when the contracts of the rest of the players are up, the Chiefs won't be able to afford to resign them, right? Pretty soon, KC's just going to be Mahomes and a bunch of bargain-bin nobodies.

Actually the way he structured it keeps his yearly cap hit fairly low. Its super team friendly even tho its so huge. I think both sides got a deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,889
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,071 posts
19,197 battles
2 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

"Foosball is the devil!"

Well, the Devil seems ready to take a season off this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,900
Alpha Tester
6,439 posts
3,249 battles
3 hours ago, WhitemaneTTV said:

Actually the way he structured it keeps his yearly cap hit fairly low. Its super team friendly even tho its so huge. I think both sides got a deal

Contracts like his are never a deal for teams in small-market cities. If Mahomes were playing for the Giants or the Cowboys it'd be different since they're household names in big cities and can therefore afford to ink players to stupidly huge contracts. But no, he's in Kansas City, and if you want to see what Kansas City does to great teams I needn't direct you further than the city's MLB team. In 2015, the Royals won the World Series off a well-balanced lineup of extremely solid players they'd largely developed themselves, but just two years later 90% of their key contributors had all gone simply because they, as a small-market team, couldn't compete with the huge piles of cash being offered by keystone franchises in larger, glitzier locales. It was so devastating to the team's results that they still have yet to recover.

In summary, Mahomes' contract is quickly going to end up sucking the life out of the Chiefs. Even if he manages to stay healthy and productive for that full decade, he won't have the team around him to make it count because Kansas City won't be able to afford them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,348 battles
10 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

"Foosball is the devil!"

Ma, mam, my ma, momma always said....Foosball is the devil!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,348 battles
7 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

Contracts like his are never a deal for teams in small-market cities. If Mahomes were playing for the Giants or the Cowboys it'd be different since they're household names in big cities and can therefore afford to ink players to stupidly huge contracts. But no, he's in Kansas City, and if you want to see what Kansas City does to great teams I needn't direct you further than the city's MLB team. In 2015, the Royals won the World Series off a well-balanced lineup of extremely solid players they'd largely developed themselves, but just two years later 90% of their key contributors had all gone simply because they, as a small-market team, couldn't compete with the huge piles of cash being offered by keystone franchises in larger, glitzier locales. It was so devastating to the team's results that they still have yet to recover.

In summary, Mahomes' contract is quickly going to end up sucking the life out of the Chiefs. Even if he manages to stay healthy and productive for that full decade, he won't have the team around him to make it count because Kansas City won't be able to afford them.

While history does tend to point this direction, i really hope its not the case. But, if it is, at least our QB1 will still be amazing. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,771
[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles

OP, I know you're happy and excited for your guy ... I understand..

I just want to point out the obvious and history of past players who signed a long term NFL Contracts.

Mahomes deal is a non guarantee deal.. In the end he may make far less then advertised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
96
[ALLY]
Members
269 posts
18,381 battles

To all:

Chiefs fan here.  Started out as a St. Louis Football Cardinals fan, but they always lost to the Chiefs in the Governor's cup so I became a fan of the Chiefs.  I am dating myself for those that remember when the Cardinals were not in Arizona.  I am very happy with the contract right now.  It all depends on how big the salary cap raises.  This may end up being a great deal for the Chiefs if the salary cap rises at a good pace.  If the salary cap does not go up fast enough it could be an albatross for the Chiefs also.  He left money on the table for the Chiefs to sign Chris Jones to another 20 mill plus contract a year also, which bodes well for the Chiefs.

Now I am not saying that the Chiefs will be the next NE Patriots, but Tom Brady has had some very large contracts and always restructured to keep good players on the team.  Hopefully Mahomes will be like that and the front office of the Chiefs can keep good players on the team to make them perennial contenders to go to the SB for a long time.  Only time will tell and there are a lot of ways this can go south.  I freely admit no one knows if things will work out for the Chiefs or not.  The odds and statistics say that the Chiefs will not be able to do it.  Peyton Manning is a perfect example of a great Quarterback who took too much of the salary cap to prevent his teams from becoming perennial SB winners.  He made it to 2 in Indy and only won one.  Ditto for the Broncos.  Of course if Mahomes can have a career like Manning's for 20 years make 4 super bowls and win two of them, most Chiefs fans would be very happy.  We can always hope for better also.

Of course there is the last thing to worry about and that is injury.  Many a great player has been hurt by injury and never come back.  Hopefully that does not happen, but it could.  

Lastly all I can say is GO CHIEFS!

C130 signing out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×