Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WhitemaneTTV

New to Game! Suggestions?

48 comments in this topic

[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,312 battles

Hello All!!

I have now been playing WoWs for 5 days and I think I'm in love. There is so much too it. It looks to be a grind to get the top tier ships, which I'm excited about. I am posting here because I want to get some tips and tricks from you veterans so I can actually improve my game play.

What aspects of the game should I focus on? What turns the tide of battle more so than any other? I would love to hear as much feed back as you are willing to give! Look forward to getting to know you guys and see ya out there!

• Cool 6

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles
5 minutes ago, WhitemaneTTV said:

Hello All!!

I have now been playing WoWs for 5 days and I think I'm in love. There is so much too it. It looks to be a grind to get the top tier ships, which I'm excited about. I am posting here because I want to get some tips and tricks from you veterans so I can actually improve my game play.

What aspects of the game should I focus on? What turns the tide of battle more so than any other? I would love to hear as much feed back as you are willing to give! Look forward to getting to know you guys and see ya out there!

Hey!  Welcome.  Go to youtube and search ichasegaming.  That is a great start.

Edited by Captain_Slattery

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
723 posts
4,640 battles

Don't rush things. Take your time and learn the game before going up the tree. If need be, use youtube videos as guidance, youtubers such as Ichase, Flamu, and Notser are good resources. 

It's also important to branch out to as many classes as possible, so you not only know their strengths but their weaknesses. 

And don't forget, the forum is always a great place to go if you have questions 

[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,312 battles
4 minutes ago, PotatoMD said:

Don't rush things. Take your time and learn the game before going up the tree. If need be, use youtube videos as guidance, youtubers such as Ichase, Flamu, and Notser are good resources. 

It's also important to branch out to as many classes as possible, so you not only know their strengths but their weaknesses. 

And don't forget, the forum is always a great place to go if you have questions 

For sure! Forum seems very informational. As far as branching out, I definitely have done that. I still don't know what style of play I even like (they all seem fun).

[SIM]
Members
4,914 posts
7,991 battles

Enjoy being new, enjoying the lessons. WoWs has a steep learning curve and you need to look at it as a journey for its own sake, not just an obstacle on the way to a destination. Spend time at the lower tiers, get familiar with how your guns handle, and learn what kind of gameplay really appeals to you. You can find lots of good tutorials on Youtube that will help you learn the basics of the mechanics and map strategy.

The secret that they don't always tell you is that learning the capabilities of the ships that you're facing is just as important as understanding your own vessel. Learning gun and torpedo ranges, detection ranges, and armor profiles will let you tailor your battle strategy to best counter what you're facing, instead of relying on a general plan that isn't as well optimized. This is part of the learning curve, don't feel like you have to go cram a course on ship stats! By playing the game and paying attention, you'll begin to pick these characteristics up. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[SAF]
Members
106 posts
10,017 battles

Just some advice, if you for example decide to go down the US battleship line, transfer your captain from ship to ship dont start grinding a new captain with a new ship. :)

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,244 posts
25,057 battles

Go slow and don't rush. Besides the benefit of raw experience, lower tier game play help build up your credit and Free xp reserves.

Respect destroyers, but don't fear them. Learn to shoot at and sink destroyers early. A few seconds spent aiming, is better spent than a hurried panic shot and a long wait to reload. Being able to do so will pay dividends and reduce frustration in the future.

Play all ships classes, even if you don't play then in every tree, (US, IJN, KM, RM, etc...) You do so to learn how all classes work, in order to better know limitations, and how to play AGAINST the different classes. 

That INCLUDES playing carriers. Even if you only play them in Co-op.

Get in the habit of watching your mini-map. The briefest flash of a momentarily spotted enemy can potentially save you from a surprise attack.

Ther's all kinds of fine details, but that's enough for now.

Welcome aboard!

Members
2,767 posts
36,481 battles

Rome was not built in a day. Take your time learning.

But also don't be too serious. Be casual, carefree,eager to learn and grow.

If you like being laid back, I suggest AshleyakaAshley as a Warships streamer. While she is instructive in her journey through her Danae epic unicum status, she is also really fun to watch.

She sails quite a few ship types. Her take on ships is really genuine and down to earth. She sinks stuff and likes to improve her game, but still likes to engage her audience as well.

While she is not a CC, she still brings so much to the community. Her audience is folks from all walks of life and her laugh is a Legendary Mod that no one can even surpass.

A dog Mommy and advocate for what is right, she is the epitome of a Texas Spitfire.

Her character is unique as such that it is compelling to watch her play other games.

You will learn what to do and sometimes what not to do,  but she has a laugh while doing it.

She also networks with some of the most experienced players out there and she can give you sterling recommendations on any one of them based on ship type.

And she knows quite a few entertaining streamers that will not only help you, but be so entertaining as well.

Take it all in and congratulations on coming aboard the most interesting journey you may have never thought possible.

As you sail and learn, you will eventually sail in to history. Because hard work at practice will make a great player out of you.

You may encounter salty players, but take it in stride that you are playing to have fun whilst eating a raspberry filled donut.

Fun is your goal, set your course for it and steer clear of the islands. Because as of this writing, WG has crashed so many autopilot programs just to keep Notser from epically colliding with islands, that even a few space programs are baffled at how Notser does it.

Like what others have said, the forums and the training room are your best resources to learn for starters.

And the NA staff is kind and courteous enough to help you every step of the way.

They have experts in ship types on hand and also Pokemon. They have unusual charisma, but they are probably the most relaxed bunch I have met. Past and present NA staff always strive to make the game better and would always like to hear your constructive feedback.

So don't hesitate to ask them about the game. They love to help. They need coffee sometimes,😏 but they get it done.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,170 battles

In a CV match, try to not be alone. If you are a DD, try not to go for the caps too quickly, as a bee-line is easy to find. Likewise, DDs almost all have meh AA that gets them killed till higher tiers, so don't keep it on. In a CV match, treat revealing your location with significance, as CVs will make seagull sounds when they spot you.

For more general advice, there are two things you will want to practice in co-op a bit: knife fighting and brawling. The former requires a bit of knowledge, and the best way to learn it is to do it, as the torp indicator is crap up close. Likewise, brawling in a BB (and even more so in a cruiser) is very hard, requiring a bit of practice to do right even as a basic attempt.

Cruisers are squishy. Always keep an eye out for incoming shells if you get targeted. They can arrive even 20 seconds later, so be prepared.

BBs are tanky, but don't overextend. You will become your own funeral pyre. Push with the team, and be a threat, not a target. Unfired BB guns are scary and keep cruisers honest. You don't have to spam BB shells, as patience pays off.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
  • Thanks 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
5 hours ago, WhitemaneTTV said:

Hello All!!

Welcome to the game and the forum! :Smile_honoring:

For Battleships I would recommend the German line to start with for leaning some of the basics of Battleships since the German BBs are far more forgiving to new players than most of the others in terms of armor. There is something called a citadel with capital ships in the game and if you score hits on that then it’s massive damage, the German Battleships are very difficult to citadel. Once you have gotten some practice with these then by all means try the other Battleship lines.

For Cruisers you will want to play up through the Japanese line first as it is the most forgiving line of cruisers for new players to learn with. The German line is my second favorite. But there are many good cruisers in the game after you have worked through the Japanese cruisers. ( I have the entire Japanese Cruiser line from tier 4 through 10 on hand for use to this day except tier 9 since I enjoyed and still enjoy that line so much.) German Cruisers are also good, but get a little difficult to use tiers 5-7 because of their weak armor, then they get a lot better again tier 8+.

American Heavy Cruisers are really good too, but only get good tier 8 and up, lower tiers just have far too weak of armor.

Destroyers the American Line is really good and well balanced at pretty much anything you will face so good to learn with. The Japanese destroyers are also very good as well. Then after that there are some other good Destroyer lines to use, but first use the American and Japanese ones for a good while as they have much to teach you and will be very reliable for you more often.

Big things you want to avoid using at all costs as a new player are the European nation destroyer line and the French Destroyer Line. Both these Destroyer lines lack smoke screens and can be very difficult for new players to use.

Aircraft Carriers stay away from for at least a year or so as they are difficult to learn and use. Plus in order to be effective you need them fully upgraded and a minimum  14 or 15 point captain which is a lot higher requirement than the typical 10 or 12 point minimum captain requirement for most ships.

[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,312 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Welcome to the game and the forum! :Smile_honoring:

For Battleships I would recommend the German line to start with for leaning some of the basics of Battleships since the German BBs are far more forgiving to new players than most of the others in terms of armor. There is something called a citadel with capital ships in the game and if you score hits on that then it’s massive damage, the German Battleships are very difficult to citadel. Once you have gotten some practice with these then by all means try the other Battleship lines.

For Cruisers you will want to play up through the Japanese line first as it is the most forgiving line of cruisers for new players to learn with. The German line is my second favorite. But there are many good cruisers in the game after you have worked through the Japanese cruisers. ( I have the entire Japanese Cruiser line from tier 4 through 10 on hand for use to this day except tier 9 since I enjoyed and still enjoy that line so much.) German Cruisers are also good, but get a little difficult to use tiers 5-7 because of their weak armor, then they get a lot better again tier 8+.

American Heavy Cruisers are really good too, but only get good tier 8 and up, lower tiers just have far too weak of armor.

Destroyers the American Line is really good and well balanced at pretty much anything you will face so good to learn with. The Japanese destroyers are also very good as well. Then after that there are some other good Destroyer lines to use, but first use the American and Japanese ones for a good while as they have much to teach you and will be very reliable for you more often.

Big things you want to avoid using at all costs as a new player are the European nation destroyer line and the French Destroyer Line. Both these Destroyer lines lack smoke screens and can be very difficult for new players to use.

Aircraft Carriers stay away from for at least a year or so as they are difficult to learn and use. Plus in order to be effective you need them fully upgraded and a minimum  14 or 15 point captain which is a lot higher requirement than the typical 10 or 12 point minimum captain requirement for most ships.

Great tips!!! I started with the American Cruiser/Battleship line and have pretty much stuck to them. I recently started the German Cruiser line as I see a lot of Yorck play and it seems so good!!! I have yet to get into a CV but man they look pretty fun. My friend that started with me is playing the Japanese line of CV and so far he went from doing 9 damage to getting 2-3 kills! This post helps a ton on where to focus, much appreciated dude!

[E-GO]
Members
207 posts
7,120 battles

When I unlock a new ship, I go to YT and watch videos, then take it in coop to learn how to aim.

• Thanks 1

[BUOY]
Members
994 posts
14,429 battles

1. When you get a new ship, go to youtube and look it up, odds are one of the big name CC's like flamu, flambass and others will have a video on it and aside from CV's which were radically changed a year and a half ago now it will probably still be relevant even if it's an old video.

2. You've already joined a clan, which is good since you're now contributing oil and can start taking advantage of some pretty hefty bonuses.

3. I definitely second most all the advice already posted here especially the advice of taking it slow since higher tier =/= 'better' in many instances. That said, having a 'first T10' goal is good.

4. Co-op is a great stress reliever when 'weekend team' syndrome strikes and to get a feel of a ship's guns and such.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
2,012 posts
25,471 battles
7 hours ago, WhitemaneTTV said:

Hello All!!

Welcome White.  There is lots of good advice in this thread.  I would just add that the minimap is your best friend.  Make it as large as you can stand and use it often since correct positioning (as well as angling your ship properly) can really help you stay alive longer while doing damage/sinking ships all that time.

Good luck!!!

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

Detection mechanics:  Stealth, Spotting.

A video to help you out.

When you get into PVP you will start noticing a lot of weird things.  It's only weird if you don't understand how Stealth, Spotting works with each other in this game.  If you don't get a grasp quickly of this crucial mechanic, players will have a massive advantage over you.

Detection, Stealth / Concealment, Spotting mechanics IMO is the greatest hurdle new players need to overcome.

Also bouncing shells and Overmatch mechanics.  Understand how players can bounce AP shells, which then leads into Overmatch.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_Penetration#Overmatch

"If the armor thickness is less than 1/14.3 of shell's caliber, a ricochet does not occur regardless of armor encounter angle."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,312 battles
4 minutes ago, Merc85 said:

Welcome White.  There is lots of good advice in this thread.  I would just add that the minimap is your best friend.  Make it as large as you can stand and use it often since correct positioning (as well as angling your ship properly) can really help you stay alive longer while doing damage/sinking ships all that time.

Good luck!!!

Thanks dude! Angling is probably the thing i see most of these big streamers talking about. Totally makes since, you want the richochets, and not to be broadside exposed. I guess my questions in regard to that (specially at lower tiers) is how do you do that and maximize your fire power? For instance, the New York has 5 cannons, but if you are angled correct(?) you really only have 1-2 cannons lined up. Is that normal? I know a lot of the later ships are setup with only 3-4 cannons and their placement allows for better angles, but it seems at lower tier that you have to broadside a bit to get the most out of your ship.

[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,312 battles
14 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Detection mechanics:  Stealth, Spotting.

A video to help you out.

When you get into PVP you will start noticing a lot of weird things.  It's only weird if you don't understand how Stealth, Spotting works with each other in this game.  If you don't get a grasp quickly of this crucial mechanic, players will have a massive advantage over you.

Detection, Stealth / Concealment, Spotting mechanics IMO is the greatest hurdle new players need to overcome.

Also bouncing shells and Overmatch mechanics.  Understand how players can bounce AP shells, which then leads into Overmatch.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_Penetration#Overmatch

"If the armor thickness is less than 1/14.3 of shell's caliber, a ricochet does not occur regardless of armor encounter angle."

Super Helpful dude!!! I have some idea of the mechanics, but yes, still struggling to stay out of site. when I am in a destroyer I do OK with using my smoke and moving in and out. But when I'm in a cruiser or BB, I feel like a Giant sore thumb. I'll definitely check out both these videos, thanks for the post!

[TDRB]
Members
5,113 posts
13,721 battles
7 hours ago, WhitemaneTTV said:

Hello All!!

I'm going to get the worse out 1st.

There is a lot of anger & insulting in chat & this forum. Don't let it get you down.

In tiers 3 & 4 you will see CV's when you ship has very poor or no AA.

Now we can talk about the good.

Take your time. If you advance too fast & you'll have stats like mine.

The forum is a good source of info but much will depend on your playing style. Try different things to see which works for you.

There is no "BEST" but there is better.

When you reach T6 I suggest you join a operations group such as Hoperations on Discord. My overall game has improved greatly since I started playing ops with them.

Good luck

[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,312 battles
7 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

Enjoy being new, enjoying the lessons. WoWs has a steep learning curve and you need to look at it as a journey for its own sake, not just an obstacle on the way to a destination. Spend time at the lower tiers, get familiar with how your guns handle, and learn what kind of gameplay really appeals to you. You can find lots of good tutorials on Youtube that will help you learn the basics of the mechanics and map strategy.

The secret that they don't always tell you is that learning the capabilities of the ships that you're facing is just as important as understanding your own vessel. Learning gun and torpedo ranges, detection ranges, and armor profiles will let you tailor your battle strategy to best counter what you're facing, instead of relying on a general plan that isn't as well optimized. This is part of the learning curve, don't feel like you have to go cram a course on ship stats! By playing the game and paying attention, you'll begin to pick these characteristics up. 

Trial and Error has always been my favorite anyway, not a huge stats/builds guy. But I do like to take a look and get opinions. Appreciate the post!! I have been sucked into the game hard, so, I am sure over time I will find what fits my style.

• Cool 1

[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,312 battles
5 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I'm going to get the worse out 1st.

There is a lot of anger & insulting in chat & this forum. Don't let it get you down.

In tiers 3 & 4 you will see CV's when you ship has very poor or no AA.

Now we can talk about the good.

Take your time. If you advance too fast & you'll have stats like mine.

The forum is a good source of info but much will depend on your playing style. Try different things to see which works for you.

There is no "BEST" but there is better.

When you reach T6 I suggest you join a operations group such as Hoperations on Discord. My overall game has improved greatly since I started playing ops with them.

Good luck

Luckily for me I was raised in a military family, so pretty hard to actually offend me, plus I am a streamer. Gotta have tough skin!! I am kinda playing all the tier 1 and tier 2 ships just to get a feel, so I don't feel like I'm moving up too horribly fast. Thanks for the post bro! Appreciate ya!

• Cool 1

[TBB]
Members
614 posts
4,780 battles

The higher you go, the faster you run into good players, the faster you learn things the hard way. 

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles
1 minute ago, Merc_R_Us said:

The higher you go, the faster you run into good players, the faster you learn things the hard way. 

I think it's a pretty common trend that when people finally reach Tier X for the first time, their WR% drops.  At least, that happened to me.  It's harsh there, any and all mistakes are piled up on by everyone.  Engagement ranges where one can get soundly smashed goes up.

Make a mistake at 15km in Tier V or VI?  You'll get away with it.  Some Cruisers can't even reach 15km, a number of BBs have terrible gunnery at that range.

Make a mistake at 15km in Tier IX-X?  Your Priority Target counter skyrockets to +5 or +6 and your sh*t is going to get pushed in.  Cruisers and even Battleships will run a train through you.  15km for BBs there is reasonably good engagement range, and some will be a lot better at that.

It took a while to get used to the harshness of Tier X.

[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,312 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I think it's a pretty common trend that when people finally reach Tier X for the first time, their WR% drops.  At least, that happened to me.  It's harsh there, any and all mistakes are piled up on by everyone.  Engagement ranges where one can get soundly smashed goes up.

Make a mistake at 15km in Tier V or VI?  You'll get away with it.  Some Cruisers can't even reach 15km, a number of BBs have terrible gunnery at that range.

Make a mistake at 15km in Tier IX-X?  Your Priority Target counter skyrockets to +5 or +6 and your sh*t is going to get pushed in.  Cruisers and even Battleships will run a train through you.  15km for BBs there is reasonably good engagement range, and some will be a lot better at that.

It took a while to get used to the harshness of Tier X.

good stuff! I am sure I will get it handed to me for a good while before I get it going,, Angles, range, concealment and finding the right ships for me!

[-U-]
Members
33 posts
2,312 battles

You guys are awesome!!!

when opening the daily containers, I have been doing Try My Luck, and while most of the time it seems to be small, I did just land 1500 steel. Do you guys suggest continuing on the luck path or should i focus something different?

Sign in to follow this