You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Free XP: The Small Stockpile and to Save or Not

21 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,053 posts
8,627 battles

Currently I am not that hyped about any of the current free xp ships available in the game. I already have Alaska, and I don’t think I could save enough to get Halland (which even then I doubt I’d play). Friesland is another maybe but again I’m not a fan of Pan-Euro DD’s even if she is just a gunboat (and a damn good one at that). Azuma... not a fan of IJN cruiser gameplay. That leaves me with a few alternative options. Currently I’m grinding through Lion, which has probably been the most boring ship I’ve ever played. Should I just dump some free xp into getting Conqueror and be done with the RN line? Or should I just not bother since I have Thunderer? What should I even do with this Fxp?!

[BUOY]
Members
1,004 posts
14,523 battles
8 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Currently I am not that hyped about any of the current free xp ships available in the game. I already have Alaska, and I don’t think I could save enough to get Halland (which even then I doubt I’d play). Friesland is another maybe but again I’m not a fan of Pan-Euro DD’s even if she is just a gunboat (and a damn good one at that). Azuma... not a fan of IJN cruiser gameplay. That leaves me with a few alternative options. Currently I’m grinding through Lion, which has probably been the most boring ship I’ve ever played. Should I just dump some free xp into getting Conqueror and be done with the RN line? Or should I just not bother since I have Thunderer? What should I even do with this Fxp?!

There's also Hayate for 2 mil FXP. And if you're interested in any of the RB you can use the FXP to reset ship lines until you get enough for one of those (Harugumo is cheapest followed closely by Shima).

[-TKS-]
Members
1,053 posts
8,627 battles
8 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

There's also Hayate for 2 mil FXP. And if you're interested in any of the RB you can use the FXP to reset ship lines until you get enough for one of those (Harugumo is cheapest followed closely by Shima).

Mm Hayate not interested in either. The Research Bureau is probably the closest since I want Ohio but I dunno how many times I’d have to reset the Harugumo line. (50k fxp from Harugumo).

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
4 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Mm Hayate not interested in either. The Research Bureau is probably the closest since I want Ohio but I dunno how many times I’d have to reset the Harugumo line. (50k fxp from Harugumo).

If you reset the line using the x2 bonus, that's 20k points per reset. The reset bonus resets next month, if memory serves.

Do this every 3 months until you have all you need. I plan to do this for Siegfried, myself, just as soon as FDR's currency is announced.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,420 posts
14,165 battles

I would hang onto the Free experience in case a ship of interest to you comes up. You should be get the Conqueror easily enough just with regular play.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,283 posts
17,482 battles
43 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

It's good for doing the research bureau each season.

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,050 battles

if your going to play long term save it there will be more ships

• Cool 1

Members
2,848 posts
36,608 battles
3 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

To get Ohio, about 4.5 lines give or take depending on the doubler kicking in on one of the lines. You will see it as a 2x next to the line. You only get it once per rotation so resetting more than one line will not apply additional doublers.

I suggest if you have 4 lines to 10, only do one for now until you have more. If over 6 do two simultaneously. Over 8 do 4.

Usually by the time you get the next update you will have a clear picture of how far long you are. And you can make adjustments.

Good luck

Members
814 posts
5,687 battles
5 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

If you are going to dump free xp into line resets for research points, I'd suggest the Siegfried over the Ohio. It's a better ship tier for tier and a much better value in terms of research point cost. I am surprised they priced it that low. 

I've personally reset the Gumo line more times than I can count at this point for both Ohio and Siegfried. 

[WOLF3]
Members
27,040 posts
23,838 battles

If you have *any* sort of doubt on whether you should spend resources, don't do it.  FreeXP takes some time to accumulate.

If you have doubt OP, just keep doing what you're doing and then let the FreeXP pile up.  I know Lion is one of the dullest ships out there, but consider that Conqueror isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  She's a Tech Tree Ship.

There's too many things that want your FreeXP:

- FreeXP Premium Ships

- Speed up tech tree grinding

- Related to the 2nd point:  Research Bureau

The stuff sitting inside Research Bureau is also all pretty darn expensive considering the resources, time, anguish worth from resetting and regrinding those lines.

If you spend resources you better be d*mn well sure that you're going to like it, and have zero regrets.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,053 posts
8,627 battles

Hm. Based on the feedback given I think I’ll be going for resetting the IJN Harugumo tree. Maybe skipping up to the Akizuki again and going from there.

Beta Testers
897 posts
3,458 battles
8 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

If you reset the line using the x2 bonus, that's 20k points per reset. The reset bonus resets next month, if memory serves.

Do this every 3 months until you have all you need. I plan to do this for Siegfried, myself, just as soon as FDR's currency is announced.

So how does this work? Do you need to buy the ships every reset, or if Free XPing, just Free XP whole line and then play the last time?

[-BUI-]
Members
2,024 posts
5,682 battles

Friesland is definitely worth picking up if you have 1m FXP burning a hole in your pocket.    Its nearly the best gunboat at T9, the only thing it really fears 1v1 is a Kitakaze, everything else you can legit gun down.    I've also gunned down battleships from 100-0, from one smoke charge.    Its AA is also best in tier for a DD.   You will miss not having torpedoes, but man those guns.

Its completely worth it.

[BUOY]
Members
1,004 posts
14,523 battles
9 minutes ago, BlackAngelCom said:

So how does this work? Do you need to buy the ships every reset, or if Free XPing, just Free XP whole line and then play the last time?

Once you reset the bonus sticks forever*, but of course you can only get the bonus so long as you have lines to reset. You can also save silver / stack RP bonuses by resetting a line, FXP'ing it and then resetting it again since the game only counts if you have a ship researched.

Honestly, imo it's a pretty neat system unfortunately hobbled from the getgo by the utterly catastrophic NTC 1.0 rollout.

*forever until they change it, that is. 

[-K-]
Members
118 posts
22,688 battles

What do you not find boring playstyle wise?

[XXX]
Members
520 posts
927 battles
9 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

Currently grinding the RN line...the KGV, to me, feels like the KV-2 of World of Warships. Its armour is kinda trash but it can spam HE at everything and DGAF about if its +2 tiers or not. Or it can surprise people by switching to AP on the right target (close range Cruisers) and blap them as they sail broadside because who would fire AP in the KGV?

I am NOT looking forward to the Monarch and the Lion...from my EU account the Monarch was a wonky but enjoyable experience...before they raised its citadel...and the Lion..ech..that ship just feels awful, seems to have worse dispersion than the Fat Freddy now AND a raised citadel...blech...Still the Conq will be good for a laugh...

[-TKS-]
Members
1,053 posts
8,627 battles
30 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Currently grinding the RN line...the KGV, to me, feels like the KV-2 of World of Warships. Its armour is kinda trash but it can spam HE at everything and DGAF about if its +2 tiers or not. Or it can surprise people by switching to AP on the right target (close range Cruisers) and blap them as they sail broadside because who would fire AP in the KGV?

I am NOT looking forward to the Monarch and the Lion...from my EU account the Monarch was a wonky but enjoyable experience...before they raised its citadel...and the Lion..ech..that ship just feels awful, seems to have worse dispersion than the Fat Freddy now AND a raised citadel...blech...Still the Conq will be good for a laugh...

Gun arcs are worse than Freddy imo as well. At least with Freddie you don’t have to worry about showing a fat citadel to get guns on.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
6 hours ago, BlackAngelCom said:

You can either reset and buy each ship T6+ and play them once or simply unlock them each time and then buy and play them on the final time from what I understand.

I've only reset once, so don't quote me on the latter. It's just what I've heard people are doing when they use Fxp.

Members
3,090 posts
6,653 battles
6 hours ago, lloyd1701 said:

Once you reset the bonus sticks forever*, but of course you can only get the bonus so long as you have lines to reset. You can also save silver / stack RP bonuses by resetting a line, FXP'ing it and then resetting it again since the game only counts if you have a ship researched.

Honestly, imo it's a pretty neat system unfortunately hobbled from the getgo by the utterly catastrophic NTC 1.0 rollout.

*forever until they change it, that is. 

I'm thinking, with the caveat that I've not reset anything yet, that the way I will grind RB is to finish the IJN gunboat DD line, then reset right before the RB season change for double points. Then FXP through them and reset again the next season. That should be 40,000 Research Points right there i think.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles
8 hours ago, BlackAngelCom said:

Just play the last time.

Any line you reset just has to be researched up to the T10 to be eligible for another reset.  So, you can reset a line for 20k research points, and then FXP to the T10 to get that line ready for another reset.  Then, when the new season starts, reset the line for another 20k once you FXP back to the T10.  You can do this for each season without ever purchasing a ship.  You will not get any of the research points until you actually purchase the ships and win a game in them just once.  Each ship that has research points associated with it will have to be played and a game won to get those points.  If you reset the line  and research them several times before you actually purchasing them, and then purchase them, you will earn all the accumulated research bureau points on that first win in each ship.  For example, if you reset and researched the line 3 times in 3 seasons, and then purchased each eligible ship in the line and then won a game in them, you would earn 60000 research points even though you only purchased  and played the line once.  This allows you to accumulate the research points at a minimal credit cost.

I hope this helps.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
897 posts
3,458 battles
1 hour ago, Murcc said:

Just play the last time.

Any line you reset just has to be researched up to the T10 to be eligible for another reset.  So, you can reset a line for 20k research points, and then FXP to the T10 to get that line ready for another reset.  Then, when the new season starts, reset the line for another 20k once you FXP back to the T10.  You can do this for each season without ever purchasing a ship.  You will not get any of the research points until you actually purchase the ships and win a game in them just once.  Each ship that has research points associated with it will have to be played and a game won to get those points.  If you reset the line  and research them several times before you actually purchasing them, and then purchase them, you will earn all the accumulated research bureau points on that first win in each ship.  For example, if you reset and researched the line 3 times in 3 seasons, and then purchased each eligible ship in the line and then won a game in them, you would earn 60000 research points even though you only purchased  and played the line once.  This allows you to accumulate the research points at a minimal credit cost.

I hope this helps.

Very helpful. Still incredibly expensive ships to be sure, but more sane than hundreds of millions net credits PLUS the playtime.