You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Moggytwo

The DD concealment change will redefine how CV's affect the game

249 comments in this topic

Members
293 posts
20 battles

There are a couple of interesting changes to the CV-DD interaction in testing at the moment, and they have the potential to completely change the game for DD players.

Firstly we have the less obtrusive change - they are changing all Rocket Fighter reticles to be a horizontal ellipse.  Previously most RF reticles were a circle or a slight vertical oval.  Here's a picture from the dev blog to illustrate:

phpeACPlG

This basically means that you will mitigate a significant amount of damage if you are nose or stern in, but if you are caught broadside you are likely to take consistently higher damage than you do now.  It makes for a clear correct action, and a clear incorrect action, making it easier for DD players to know what to is the right course of action every time.  This will reduce the effectiveness of the drift jink, in that you will much less often completely avoid damage, but overall a competent DD captain will take less damage on average.  A skilled CV who manages to catch a DD broadside will be rewarded, while a skilled DD captain who consistently maneuvres correctly against RF's will also be rewarded.  Whether you like CV's or not, I think it's hard to argue this isn't an all round positive change.  I'm looking forward to this one.

Secondly we have the really big change.  Unlike the reticle adjustment which is pretty much definitely going through, this other change is in its own separate test, and may or may not go through.  This change halves the air concealment of all DD's, but puts a penalty on air concealment in that it increases to your max AA range for 20secs after your AA guns stop firing.

I'm not a big fan of the penalty - it creates a situation where for most DD's you are much better off just never turning your AA on unless you are in a position where the enemy can't shoot at you.  This removes the play style of turning your AA on and off depending on enemy plane position to make it more difficult for the CV to run in on you.  This play style is reasonably engaging and rewards awareness, so I think it would be unfortunate for it to be removed.

As for halving the air concealment, I feel that if it went through as is, this change would turn the CV-DD interaction on its head.  Most DD's have an air concealment in the 2.4 - 3.2km range.  This would reduce to 1.2 - 1.6km.  A CV squadron flying overhead would only spot the DD for a brief period, which for many surface ships wouldn't be enough time to get a shot off at that DD.  A CV cannot arm an RF strike in that distance, so they now have only the following options:

• Guess the DD position (difficult to do accurately or consistently, especially against a competent DD who will be maneuvering to put themselves in an unexpected position), and start the run when the DD is concealed.
  • Use a fighter consumable over the DD (which they have very few of, and which will be much less likely to consistently spot the DD than on live, as they fly in circles and will have to be within a very short distance of a DD rapidly departing) and try to keep them spotted that way.
  • Only attack DD's while they are otherwise spotted by radar or friendly ships (which means they probably won't have Rocket Fighters in the air, and of course their squadron has to already be in the vicinity - launching an RF squadron based on the DD being spotted 30-40s later is unlikely to lead to success). 

As you can probably tell, the CV is really going to struggle to attack a DD.  Even more than this, the CV will struggle to even find the DD as well.  Halving the air concealment range means that the actual area you can spot a DD reduces by three quarters!  That's a massively smaller area that the CV has to find, and a CV will be able to just about trip over the DD without finding it.  The standard method of finding an unspotted DD with a position you are not sure of is to fly until your planes are spotted, then take the circle of your plane's concealment from that point, fly to a point on that circle, and then follow the arc until the DD is found.  It's highly reliable on live, and makes hiding in a DD very difficult.  This will be much harder to successfully achieve following this concealment change, meaning a CV attempting this process may well end up wasting a significant amount of a CV's most valuable resource - time - and may well never find the DD.

Attempting to look at this change objectively (which I think I am able to do as I play both classes about equally), I think overall I like the basic premise of the change.  I don't like the bloom penalty and think that part should be removed, and to compensate for this removal I think they should reduce the size of the buff, maybe to 30% instead of 50%.  Overall though I think it would be a good thing for the game, and for many exasperated destroyer captains, for this change to go through.  The DD population will likely go up, and I think this is much needed for the health of the game, as DD's carry out essential roles that enable battles to play out as intended.

There is another point to consider though - this is a significant nerf to the ability of CV's to influence the win, and statistically (ie on WG's much loved spreadsheet) CV's are at the bottom of the pile of win influence alongside BB's.  WG may well consider that CV's need compensatory buffs for this change in the medium term, and that will likely be in the form of increased damage by making something like aiming or dispersion easier for CV's in a global change.  If WG considers that CV's have become underpowered following this change, they will buff them, especially if that lack of power leads to a drop in population.

So, is this the right direction for the game?  Will it improve enjoyment for many players?  Will the balance of the game be better overall?  I think so, as I've outlined above, but I'd love to hear what other players think! 

• Cool 35
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

[TBB]
Members
616 posts
4,875 battles

Good Post. I think it will improve all player's experiences. Player expectations and understanding of their new roles will need to be adjusted. DDs will have to spot other DDs for CVs. As a CV main, I will be ignoring "Spot the DD" requests once this comes out, unless something changes. I think German Rockets need a buff vs DDs.

More work does need to be done however, regarding the spotting mechanic overall, and the AA system (needs more manual control and input).

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 3

[D33P6]
Members
563 posts

I wish I saw more DD's player learn and use the drift jink.  I'd say for about one week I saw several DD's use it effectively.  Afterwards, it seemed like they just got lazy or didn't care.  I can say the same for keeping your AA off.  The past several months it has been incredibly easy to find DD's because they leave it on.

34 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

This change halves the air concealment of all DD's, but puts a penalty on air concealment in that it increases to your max AA range for 20secs after your AA guns stop firing.

As you said, this makes AA on a DD detrimental.  If they implement this change and the reticle change, isn't it handing DD's an easy mode?  It wasn't hard to watch a few replays to understand and memorize the different aiming reticles on the rocket planes for different CV's.  If these changes go through, all you have to do is keep your AA off, never turn it on, and just go bow in every time.

34 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

So, is this the right direction for the game?  Will it improve enjoyment for many players?  Will the balance of the game be better overall?

Yes but I don't entirely agree with the changes.

I tell you right now that you will get responses where players will say this is SOMEHOW a buff for CV's and/or that its still not enough.  It'll never be enough until they can get one of these.  RTS CV's back, CV's removed or get the class so neutered that no one will play them.

Edited by HeadSplit120

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,742 battles

I play CVs a lot and I think the reticule change was long overdue. I never through it was fair that players would be expected to remember which way each rocket plane reticule works or to guess which one of two that Lexington and Midway are using. 

I don't think the air concealment change makes much sense though. The problem is still that most of the time a DD's presence is betrayed by his AA because most players don''t know how to turn it off or that it is sometimes useful to turn it off. It is counterintuitive that AA, which is intended to help, would be a hinderance. I still think they should set AA so it cannot automatically fire beyond the ship's detection range unless they player activates the AA sectors. I think the proposed change actually makes it worse. For the bulk of the DD players who don't know to turn their AA off or any player who forgets for even one second, his concealment is massively boosted and he is stuck with it for 20 sec after the guns stop firing which is enough to get a DD killed. The key is the DD is now locked in to a big detection area for 20 sec whereas currently if you cut off the AA you would go undetected immediately. I'm interested to hear how the testing works because I really think it will make it worse on DDs. 

• Cool 3
  • Meh 3

[LANCE]
Members
793 posts
5,906 battles

@Moggytwo good post mate!

I agree that the reticle change will be extremely helpful to all DD players.

The spotting distance I like for most my DD’s but wonder how this’ll affect the EU DD’s. One of the gimmicks is good AA (for a DD anyway). Imho why would I bother using it if I’m better off staying undetected? There may be times it becomes useful but I’d think that’d be very limited ... perhaps with a fighter drop with no enemy surface ships around you could shoot down the fighters but the 20 sec penalty may make that not worth it either.

• Cool 1

Members
1,493 posts
10,847 battles

meanwhile tier 4 literally has bots in random battles because nobody wants to play against cv lol

cv gameplay interaction is going well!

Edited by ITZ_ACE_BABY
  • Cool 14
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 6

[SALVO]
Members
4,440 posts
3,825 battles

Nice analisis, agreed with most of it.

I don't see the AA bloom too detrimental, it will become a fight or flee scenario. As it is now I don't even bother with AA in many DDs, it is that meaningless. With a DD that can put on a serious fight, nothing will change much in practice, I don't think the CV would like to hang around for long and the range is small enough to not betray your position to anyone else.

The spotting range reduction is so massive I don't think will hit life server. It is basically a free pass. As much as I would like it to be true, it is just too good to believe. As you say something around 30% sounds more realistic.

Every change brings unintended consequences, the CVs will adapt and stop hunting DDs, guess what they'll do? They'll be targeting Cruisers. That pretty elongated reticule is perfect to fit in a broadside cruiser for maximun damage. Cruisers are not only less nimble than DDs, most of the time they are very limited due to the risk of showing broadside. I foresee a drastic decrease on cruiser survivability. 

• Thanks 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,029 posts
5,690 battles

The DD concealment change will ruin CV play entirely, they won't even be able to defend themselves from a DD who charges into the back line to attempt to kill the CV, much less defend caps or do anything meaningful relating to DDs.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 9
  • Meh 3

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

The rocket change is overdue, honestly. The detection, however, I feel will just turn US CVs (and Ark Royal as well as perhaps Hermes) into the only anti-DD CVs due to having HE bombs that are reliable. Most RN bombs drop too slow, and Kaga's are hilariously RNG heavy.

If this change goes through, I predict Midway becoming the meta T10 CV, Enterprise returning to sale, Lexington becoming the most potent T8 CV,  Ark Royal being removed from sale due to considerable more impact than other CVs, and T4 CVs no longer being any fun.

Overall, I hope that they at least don't reduce aerial detection on that silly potent T10 AA DD that recently got released. Otherwise... it'll probably result in CV buffs.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles

Nice write up there.  The reticle change is a great one and should have been done a long time ago.  The other two changes are going to have quite a lot of unintended consequences though and not having the ability to see the future I can only guess but it seems that CV's are going to lose almost all of the combat influence they still had.  What may happen?  It's likely DDs' may get ignored completely given they can't be spotted until around 1km away and a CV can't even line up a shot with such a small radius nor keep it spotted at all within it's turn radius.  A CV will be effectively unable to engage a destroyer at all anymore so they are probably going to go after cruisers and really tighten up on the lone wolf player, that is going to shift the game dynamics quite a bit.  We may go back to the DD's having free reign of the game space again, the "CV is OP" could quite easily shift back to the "DD's are OP" issues all over again.

My opinion, the spotting penalty is far too great, especially on top of other changes at the same time.  If it were me I would have kept spotting the way it was but changed DD's AA to panic incoming plane attacks like in the RTS days.  That is their gimmick, they can disrupt much of the damage - not all because no ships should have an "I win" button, but have an effective counter that still punishes poor positioning.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,030 posts
11,611 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

Secondly we have the really big change.  Unlike the reticle adjustment which is pretty much definitely going through, this other change is in its own separate test, and may or may not go through.  This change halves the air concealment of all DD's, but puts a penalty on air concealment in that it increases to your max AA range for 20secs after your AA guns stop firing.

I'm not a big fan of the penalty - it creates a situation where for most DD's you are much better off just never turning your AA on unless you are in a position where the enemy can't shoot at you.  This removes the play style of turning your AA on and off depending on enemy plane position to make it more difficult for the CV to run in on you.  This play style is reasonably engaging and rewards awareness, so I think it would be unfortunate for it to be removed.

As for halving the air concealment, I feel that if it went through as is, this change would turn the CV-DD interaction on its head.  Most DD's have an air concealment in the 2.4 - 3.2km range.  This would reduce to 1.2 - 1.6km.  A CV squadron flying overhead would only spot the DD for a brief period, which for many surface ships wouldn't be enough time to get a shot off at that DD.  A CV cannot arm an RF strike in that distance, so they now have only the following options:

At 2.4 km most fighters are still too fast to properly arm unless on the breaks traveling the same direction, even 3.2 can be sketchy on even a mediocre attack to just land hits.

The AA change is depending on the exact way it works one of two things - if it means they can be spotted in smoke as well, then it's a return to the old ways where if you had AA on in smoke it gave away your position (they even did a cap video on it) which given some DD's AA is fair (others however still need massive AA buffs) though my bigger concern then would be it apply to all ships (especially Minotaur. However the one it sounds more like is specifically addressing and issue present more on the newer AA DD's (Aki-Harugumo, Pan-E, etc) where player will pop it on and off rapidly - meaning they stay essentially unspotted in pen water with their AA going, which with said newer DD's that have AA that may actually be too powerful is kind of an issue - as well as general consistency with the gun bloom change to main battery to remove the 'blinking' trick people used to use. Stealth has always been the way to go for CV vs DD - really keeping AA off unless absolutely needed isn't a huge change to most players I know, certainly not myself.

To me the bigger issue is actually cutting DD spotting ranges that low at this point. Under RTS, before other potential solutions (like mini-map only spotting) were tested and demo'd in ways - I could and did back this. I can't back it with CV's as they are. I'm all about needing to change CV vs DD but this forces the CV to be even more reliant on the team, and creates a huge issue on CV's being able to defend themselves from DD's that get through areas teams aren't covering if the CV can't find them. And a torpedo attack will have no warning till it's way too late with how they crippled CV mobility. They would have to either A: finally reverse the change to attack plane mobility (still would require lowering of damage on RP-3 and both types of USN 5" rocket), B: make CV's as agile as they were in RTS, or C: both. I feel it leaves CV's far too wide open - both as a DD and CV player.

Though - I would not rule out that the test isn't actually dual purpose. One thing a good number of us said was that submarines need AA, another that some ASW CV work should be done, and that staying at a level to submerge instantly and vanish was an issue. This could be a back door test of those. The very low spotting range fits for a Submarine, the reticle for a side attack doesn't fit well for IJN and TT equipped USN planes rockets, however for ASW rockets the goal would be to hit the side, and keeping something spotted after AA guns have fired would negate rapid dive/ascend to stay hidden. DD's have always had a style of play closer to that of a submarine, so makes for a perfect test bed without using subs. 

• Cool 2

[TIMT]
Members
658 posts
3,448 battles

Nice analysis, indeed!

Regarding the aiming reticle change I agree, it is decent change to make DD player life easier and makes 'just dodge' a somewhat more reasonable proposition. While I am not opposing mechanics like different rocket patterns for different planes to give CV players options while also rewarding players who learn to memorize and react to these patterns, differentiating planes in the current state is not feasible. Therefore unifying seems like the logical compromise.

The introduction of AA bloom I see with mixed feelings. On one side I think it is a bit more consistent with overall gun behavior (i.e. concealment bloom after firing main battery), making the experience more consistent. As others stated this will force DD players to make a choice to fight of run, with most people probably running. However, this will negate some of the acquired skill of toggling AA to maximize damage to planes while maintaining concealment for dodging.

The reduction of aerial spotting for DDs also seems like a good idea, however at something like 1.5km it is ridiculously short and feels just entirely artificial (aren't planes the best spotters with the longest view range irl?). Again, the issues with planes not being able to respond in time arise, rendering AA on DDs liklely completely obsolete/pointless. The potential for unintended consquences is quite huge, but I don't think DDs will reign supreme due to this, as they currently work well in randoms without CVs (even with the proliferation of 12km radars).

Overall I think the changes go in the right direction, though I would appreciate the move towards less automation in the AA-CV interaction to a more direct player-vs-player interaction (which in my opinion is the source of frustration with CVs).

[META_]
Members
2,199 posts
7,309 battles
8 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

At 2.4 km most fighters are still too fast to properly arm unless on the breaks traveling the same direction, even 3.2 can be sketchy on even a mediocre attack to just land hits.

The AA change is depending on the exact way it works one of two things - if it means they can be spotted in smoke as well, then it's a return to the old ways where if you had AA on in smoke it gave away your position (they even did a cap video on it) which given some DD's AA is fair (others however still need massive AA buffs) though my bigger concern then would be it apply to all ships (especially Minotaur. However the one it sounds more like is specifically addressing and issue present more on the newer AA DD's (Aki-Harugumo, Pan-E, etc) where player will pop it on and off rapidly - meaning they stay essentially unspotted in pen water with their AA going, which with said newer DD's that have AA that may actually be too powerful is kind of an issue - as well as general consistency with the gun bloom change to main battery to remove the 'blinking' trick people used to use. Stealth has always been the way to go for CV vs DD - really keeping AA off unless absolutely needed isn't a huge change to most players I know, certainly not myself.

To me the bigger issue is actually cutting DD spotting ranges that low at this point. Under RTS, before other potential solutions (like mini-map only spotting) were tested and demo'd in ways - I could and did back this. I can't back it with CV's as they are. I'm all about needing to change CV vs DD but this forces the CV to be even more reliant on the team, and creates a huge issue on CV's being able to defend themselves from DD's that get through areas teams aren't covering if the CV can't find them. And a torpedo attack will have no warning till it's way too late with how they crippled CV mobility. They would have to either A: finally reverse the change to attack plane mobility (still would require lowering of damage on RP-3 and both types of USN 5" rocket), B: make CV's as agile as they were in RTS, or C: both. I feel it leaves CV's far too wide open - both as a DD and CV player.

Though - I would not rule out that the test isn't actually dual purpose. One thing a good number of us said was that submarines need AA, another that some ASW CV work should be done, and that staying at a level to submerge instantly and vanish was an issue. This could be a back door test of those. The very low spotting range fits for a Submarine, the reticle for a side attack doesn't fit well for IJN and TT equipped USN planes rockets, however for ASW rockets the goal would be to hit the side, and keeping something spotted after AA guns have fired would negate rapid dive/ascend to stay hidden. DD's have always had a style of play closer to that of a submarine, so makes for a perfect test bed without using subs. 

CVs still have the French line to play with to their amusement. lousy detection and no smoke. 

• Cool 5

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles
1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

The DD concealment change will ruin CV play entirely, they won't even be able to defend themselves from a DD who charges into the back line to attempt to kill the CV, much less defend caps or do anything meaningful relating to DDs.

Unlike now where it's suicide go after a CV...

Unlike now where a CV's Raison d'être is to grief DD players for free unless you are exclusively dedicated to the Pan EU gimmick AA niche...

Unlike Now where CV get to make everyone else miserable and only add to all of the worst parts of Warships...

Something mildly threatening to CV...

Joey-Tribbiani-Shocked-Reaction-Friends.

Edited by Vekta408
  • Cool 22
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 6
  • Meh 6

Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,250 battles

I rather like this. On one hand, it'll make keeping track of DDs who have their AA on easier, but on the other hand it'll make finding DDs who keep their AA off harder. It seems like a fair trade.

Of course, now I'll have to rely on my teammates to find and kill DDs more, and we all know how asking your teammates to contribute usually goes.

[INTEL]
Members
13,063 posts
36,045 battles
3 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

There are a couple of interesting changes to the CV-DD interaction in testing at the moment, and they have the potential to completely change the game for DD players.

Firstly we have the less obtrusive change - they are changing all Rocket Fighter reticles to be a horizontal ellipse.  Previously most RF reticles were a circle or a slight vertical oval.  Here's a picture from the dev blog to illustrate:

This basically means that you will mitigate a significant amount of damage if you are nose or stern in, but if you are caught broadside you are likely to take consistently higher damage than you do now.  It makes for a clear correct action, and a clear incorrect action, making it easier for DD players to know what to is the right course of action every time.  This will reduce the effectiveness of the drift jink, in that you will much less often completely avoid damage, but overall a competent DD captain will take less damage on average.  A skilled CV who manages to catch a DD broadside will be rewarded, while a skilled DD captain who consistently maneuvres correctly against RF's will also be rewarded.  Whether you like CV's or not, I think it's hard to argue this isn't an all round positive change.  I'm looking forward to this one.

Lol "rewarded." You aren't rewarded -- you just take less arbitrary, pointless damage than you otherwise would -- the CV will simply have to come back one extra time to delete you.

I collect the reward every time -- I just don't play DDs. CVs remain a sociopathology that have nothing but negative effects on the game, this fundamentally changes nothing. 

Anything that makes it harder for CVs to find DDs is good. 

Look at all the crap they have had to do because they rammed CVs down our throats. They never correct their errors -- the best move is to remove rockets. But instead of doing that sensible move, they have to make all sorts of other unnecessary changes. 

Like adding bots to T4 because they won't hard limit CVs to one per match.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 8
  • Meh 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,063 posts
36,045 battles
2 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

What? You mean cruisers and DDs will have to counter DDs? Heaven forfend!

• Cool 7

[KSC]
Members
638 posts
9,588 battles
4 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

There is another point to consider though - this is a significant nerf to the ability of CV's to influence the win, and statistically (ie on WG's much loved spreadsheet) CV's are at the bottom of the pile of win influence alongside BB's.  WG may well consider that CV's need compensatory buffs for this change in the medium term, and that will likely be in the form of increased damage by making something like aiming or dispersion easier for CV's in a global change.  If WG considers that CV's have become underpowered following this change, they will buff them, especially if that lack of power leads to a drop in population.

Where is the updated data on a CV's lower map influence?  I recall they said CVs were slightly above DDs back around patch 8.5 - 8.6, but I haven't heard any update about how they've lessened.

Did I miss something recently released?

• Cool 1

[BONKS]
Members
1,496 posts
50 battles
10 hours ago, Ahskance said:

Did I miss something recently released?

It is based on his own utterly flawed data - which he ofc refuses to accept as anything other than the truth despite numerous people telling and proving to him what a pile of garbage it is. The part about how it is based on WG's data is just a straight up lie given that they haven't released anything since.

Finding a DD has very little to do with DD concealment and a lot more with map awareness and using the detection indicator. Likewise your attack behavior will not change due to a simple change in concealment. On the other hand staying detected for a long period of time after enabling AA means the strategy of trying to spoof the CV by en- and disabling AA will no longer be possible. Not that it actually worked against a skilled CV player ofc but neither will the concealment change.
So basically bad CV players will still fail, skilled CV players will still succeed. I fail to see how this will make any difference.

According to some players who played on PTS the dispersion change has practically no effect on low tier and RN CVs, is actually a buff for Shokaku and Haku while a nerf to anything carrying TTs or similar. Meaning that against low tier, IJN and RN CVs it still will not matter how you angle. But hey, a nerf that hits some rockets is better than if it were to hit no rockets at all.
(In fact RN rocket reticle is now literally a circle lol.)

Edited by El2aZeR
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

What? You mean cruisers and DDs will have to counter DDs? Heaven forfend!

+1 for using this word.  It's nice to see an exhaustive vocabulary.  :cap_like:

A quick question, if you please.

Will the detection change significantly alter which ship type a carrier driver focuses in the early game?

[INTEL]
Members
13,063 posts
36,045 battles
2 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

+1 for using this word.  It's nice to see an exhaustive vocabulary.  :cap_like:

A quick question, if you please.

Will the detection change significantly alter which ship type a carrier driver focuses in the early game?

Nope because of the spawns he will know where the DDs are....

[XXX]
Members
525 posts
948 battles
35 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

It is based on his own utterly flawed data - which he ofc refuses to accept as anything other than the truth despite numerous people telling and proving to him what a pile of garbage it is. The part about how it is based on WG's data is just a straight up lie given that they haven't released anything since.

Finding a DD has very little to do with DD concealment and a lot more with map awareness and using the detection indicator. Likewise your attack behavior will not change due to a simple change in concealment. On the other hand staying detected for a long period of time after enabling AA means the strategy of trying to spoof the CV by en- and disabling a DD will no longer be possible. Not that it actually worked against a skilled CV player ofc but neither will the concealment change.
So basically bad CV players will still fail, skilled CV players will still succeed. I fail to see how this will make any difference.

According to some players who played on PTS the dispersion change has practically no effect on low tier and RN CVs, is actually a buff for Shokaku and Haku while a nerf to anything carrying TTs or similar. Meaning that against low tier, IJN and RN CVs it still will not matter how you angle. But hey, a nerf that hits some rockets is better than if it were to hit no rockets at all.
(In fact RN rocket reticle is now literally a circle lol.)

I'm curious because, in your opinion, is this actually a buff to the RN CVs as well, the trade off for the RN mass rockets was the aiming circle was circular which meant most of the time a lot of them just missed. Now if the Audacious catches a DD broadside that's 48 rockets all clumped much closer together. Sure it means bow or stern in they won't eat as many but there's only so much a DD can do, as others have said it seems like it's basically delaying the inevitable.

I would also say that it's not a major nerf to TTs because they instead are now played like standard rocket planes, instead of the bow/stern approach that changes, making them obvious how to use for less experienced CV users AND if you took TTs you weren't really DD hunting as your main job anyway.

[BOTES]
Members
2,192 posts
8,057 battles

It isn't hard to guess a DD's position. You make one pass to figure it out and then turn back in. This isn't Tribes, you can't just ski away at the speed of light into a teleporter and show up on the other side of the map in seconds. A DD can't substantially change their location or trajectory in the time it takes a fighter group to circle and pre-emptively attack.

I also don't like the idea of the new targeting being even more effective against broadside DDs because it puts DDs in the same position as BB and CA where they are forced to choose between exposing their weak side to enemy surface ships or to planes. Planes do less damage (still a lot), so the damage becomes guaranteed. That's not counterplay; it's making the best out of a [edited], broken mechanic.

WG needs to remove CVs for further testing. Stop using the public server as a test server.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,248 posts
19,606 battles

Nice analysis OP

Even this means WG admits there is something wrong with the CVs implementation, I'm convinced this is not the way to go.

A way lower reduction in detectability was enough associated with a serious review of AA mechanics and implementation. As I said before the problem lies in AA, not in CVs or DDs.

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,371 posts
20,047 battles

I don't think this is really gonna do much as usual 

Just kick the problem down the road little longer

They keep trying to fix parts on already complex system that really just need to be simple and this keeps getting worse as more pieces break

Problem is I'm getting sick of waiting after a year and a 1/2

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2