Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

25 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,841 posts

Thinking of getting it.

I hear it racks up a huge amount of damage per game.

Sadly, half of it is on its own team.

Is this true?

:cap_wander:

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
25,718 posts
22,633 battles

I have a friend that has that DD and loves it, but it's kind of a divisive ship among IJN DD players.

Friendly torping of teammates?  No, I never saw that being an issue.   They're usually off to the side or forward, so it's not a problem.  Also, it has long range torpedoes but they are DWTs that hit only Battleships and Carriers, so there's even less possible friendly ships that can get hit.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BROOK]
Members
1,841 posts
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I have a friend that has that DD and loves it, but it's kind of a divisive ship among IJN DD players.

Friendly torping of teammates?  No, I never saw that being an issue.    They're usually off to the side or forward, so it's not a problem.  Also, it has long range torpedoes but they are DWTs that hit only Battleships and Carriers, so there's even less possible friendly ships that can get hit.

Don't they hit cruisers?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
25,718 posts
22,633 battles
1 minute ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Don't they hit cruisers?

"Normal" Deep Water Torps as found on the Pan Asian DDs do, but Asashio's are even more specialized version of DWTs.

There was an experience I had long ago where my Cruiser was in a knife fight against an enemy BB player.  A friendly Asashio player fired her torps towards us.  She sank the BB no problems while the Asashio torps just went safely underneath my Cruiser.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[AXANR]
Members
3,597 posts
21,676 battles

I don't see what's ambiguous about '"DWTs that hit only battleships and carriers." But no, they do not hit cruisers. 

Asashio is a ship where mediocre players will have the occasional monster game but be hilariously ineffective 80% of the time. When a bad player gets lucky, Asashio will give them their best game of all time, but there won't be any consistency. Skilled players will have monster games regularly but be ineffective more often than usual. It's a ship that's utterly dependent on good MM and it takes a good player to get good results when MM doesn't fall your way. 

Members
596 posts
5,440 battles

I don't think I've ever had any friendly damage while driving Asashio, but I am generally very careful about torping from behind teammates.  I run mine with Torp Acceleration, which brings the range down to 16km but with the slight speed boost lowers the already low reaction time even further.

Asashio is a DD that is typically badly misplayed IMO.  I see so many Asashio players that go way out to the flank and try to torp enemy BBs from 15km away and generally being useless.  Asashio has amazing concealment and usable guns; I try to play close to caps and provide vision for my team.  This also gets me closer to the enemy BBs, which improves the likelihood of hitting with the torps. 

There are a few drawbacks to Asashio; she can't knife fight other DDs and has to be opportunistic when engaging other DDs with guns.  She is also totally dependent on MM to provide potential targets, and once all the enemy BBs are dead so is her damage dealing.  All she can do at that point is spot or contribute chip damage with her guns. 

If you are lucky enough to get into a BB-heavy game where they spend a lot of time driving in a straight line, you will end up feeling dirty with how easily you can rack up damage.  She can be a very fun bote, but not necessarily all the time.

[PRDEF]
Members
119 posts
7,853 battles

I got one out of Black Friday crates a couple of years ago.  Not a bad ship, but too often in Co-op, I get games with only 1 BB on the reds and then I spawn on the opposite side of the map.  Also, I don't think I've ever hit a teammate with it, but I'm also pretty cognizant about when/where I launch.

On a funny note, I did manage to start 13 fires in one game with it a while back when doing some directive for fires.  I'm not sure I've ever landed that many torps in one game (or maybe ever) with mine.

Edited by rufus374

[TBW]
Members
9,982 posts
16,773 battles
30 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Don't they hit cruisers?

Nope, feel free to shoot the torps when your own DDs and Cruisers are in front of you.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,043 posts
8,851 battles
39 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Don't they hit cruisers?

That awkward moment when Asashio's dwt can hit Dunkerque but cannot hit Stalingrad :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Members
1,641 posts
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Thinking of getting it.

Is this true?

Have friendly CV spot enemy CV sitting stationary. Send off 20km torps and win.

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,265 battles

I was gifted an Asahio (on Eu server) by a well known Asashio lover there. The player was rather peculiar about Asashio being the greatest DD since sliced bread (or some such analogy).

I would not go that far in praising it, Blasto. It is sort of a one trick pony - all those torps are it's specialty.

Buy it if you want to - I'm now a perma-non spender in WoWS due to the Great Wreak - aka the farce CV rework.

[K-9]
Beta Testers
2,070 posts
3 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Thinking of getting it.

Is this true?

If anything, Asashio's DW torps prevents a lot of team-hits since its usually cruisers and DDs which have the speed to stupidly cross paths with torps fired minutes before when they were halfway across the map... and they also the ships that tend to be forward on the line or flanking deep. 

As far as Asashio's effectiveness..its like any other IJN torp DD.. sometimes its a feast, sometimes its famine. 

However, one thing cannot be denied: Its better than Shimakaze at tier 10 battles. Much better. Shima may fire 15 torps but they seen from orbit unless it goes ghetto failgearingwannabe with the 12km's or suicide monkey with the 8kms... Asashio can fire 16 torps using torp reload booster from 20km and they nearly impossible to detect until its too late.

Furthermore, you can hit BBs sitting behind cruisers or DDs just because the torps go under them. Very useful for corner plugging as BBs tend to be a km or so behind a cruiser hiding behind an island.. the gun arcs dont let them fire over the terrain. 

Sure, they hit only BBs and CVs but then again, Shima's chances of hitting maneuverable DDs and cruisers is essentially limited to relying on stupidity of the enemy to do so. A competently driven asashio will spot the enemy team and slay their BBs from afar.

At T10 as a BB I fear an Asashio far more than a shimakaze. Far, far more. As a T10 cruiser or DD I make it a point to try and take out the Asashio as priority..its torps are just too harmful to my team. 

Members
57 posts
104 battles

Hi. A few things I can say about the Asashio

I use the Torps Acc  mostly to give the red BBs less time to use the WASD hack. You can also overlay your torps ie a little in front of the marker and a little behind.

The guns are surprisingly usable though a little slow to turn. In one game I finished off two DDs , so don't be shy to use them when its appropriate !

Concealment is ur friend ; meaning if a red BB doesn't know ur there, they wont be on guard. If u get spotted they will try and turn into ur position, you can still get a hit by manually estimating their new direction.

A good CV can make ur life difficult as can a red DD that's screening ur torps. If there is too much heat , I try and reposition to a new area if there is time.

Stay alive because even if there are no BBs or they are far away ; you can late cap or recap. You would be surprised how a DD can make all the difference.

You can spot well and I do try and lite up the reds especially if they retreat but don't be a hero, if you get too far ahead of ur team a red CL/CA who knows ur there, can push into ur position and easily kill u.

Its one of the few T8 DDs that is happy to be uptiered - a Tx BB pays much better than a T6. 

hope it helps

Members
699 posts

I enjoy the ship, but being successful in it really comes down to what is going on in terms of events. Sometimes events result in their being fewer BBs, at which point the Asashio is less of a torp machine and more of a spotter (with pretty decent guns if necessary). Currently there are 4-5 BBs per game in Tier 8+, which is pretty good in terms of MM for this ship.

Members
790 posts
5,431 battles

She’s feast or famine. MM will determine if you’ll have a monster game right off the bat. I prefer a ship that responds flexibly to MM.

[PHD]
Members
1,317 posts
5,784 battles

I play PvE, where the bots have gotten pretty good at dodging. 

The narrow spread torps and still rather wide as the range increases so bow one ships can fit between the torps easily. 

The guns are remarkably good which helps when there are no torp targets. Then spotting capping and taking out other DDs is about all you can do. But if you catch a cruiser broadside at close range the AP can really hurt them.

For me the Asashio defines the IJN torp boat. Using it is like stalking close to that trophy bull in the heard without getting spotted by the rest and taking it out unspotted. 

The long range torps can be a problem if you get into a close range turning fight with a BB and forget to think where your misses are going while you are trying to survive. Sighting your torps so the misses will hit an island soon after helps control them.

The torp base reload is slow.

Playing the ship can be habit forming as you keep trying to have that outrageous match.

The torps hit very hard but at long range you may not get kills but do heavy damage that others will finish off instead.

If you like torp boats, try it. If not, maybe not.

[PHD]
Members
1,317 posts
5,784 battles
8 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

That awkward moment when Asashio's dwt can hit Dunkerque but cannot hit Stalingrad :Smile_trollface:

WG tried a different rating system for what they could hit but it got complicated so they went with a more simple less realistic system.

I think WG needs to rearrange the lines where the "super cruisers", light "BBs" like the Dunkerque and any new battle cruisers WG may be planning to put in the game are a separate "battle cruiser" class that are targetable by Asashio DW torps.

[INTEL]
Members
12,500 posts
34,729 battles
12 hours ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Somehow this feels like bad bait but it isn't...lol.

It's really excellent bait. Blasto has refined his technique over time.

• Boring 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,683 posts
17,488 battles

Playing her well requires patience.  If a CV isn't in the game, you can really be sneaky.  You can even be sneaky with a CV in play...just gotta pick the right moment.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,912 posts
13,143 battles
4 hours ago, Taichunger said:

It's really excellent bait. Blasto has refined his technique over time.

To be fair to the man, he asks a question which would be quite valid coming from someone who hasn't been in the game very long.

In fact anyone who went to the premium shop looking for a Japanese premium DD would find just two right now: the Tier 8 Asashio and the Tier 2 Tachibana. 

Anyone who wants a premium IJN DD that isn't those two has to either finish the Honourable Service campaign to get the T6 Shinonome or be willing to spend 2 million Free XP for the Tier 10 Hayate.

The best premium IJN DD of all is probably the HSF Harekaze, but her availability is very seasonal and brief when it's even there. 

Yudachi left the store a few weeks ago for better or worse.

TLDR you want a premium IJN DD? You get Tachi or Asashio; take your pick. There is literally nothing else right now.

• Cool 1

[BROOK]
Members
1,841 posts
32 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

To be fair to the man, he asks a question which would be quite valid coming from someone who hasn't been in the game very long.

In fact anyone who went to the premium shop looking for a Japanese premium DD would find just two right now: the Tier 8 Asashio and the Tier 2 Tachibana. 

Anyone who wants a premium IJN DD that isn't those two has to either finish the Honourable Service campaign to get the T6 Shinonome or be willing to spend 2 million Free XP for the Tier 10 Hayate.

The best premium IJN DD of all is probably the HSF Harekaze, but her availability is very seasonal and brief when it's even there. 

Yudachi left the store a few weeks ago for better or worse.

TLDR you want a premium IJN DD? You get Tachi or Asashio; take your pick. There is literally nothing else right now.

Thanks.  I am having trouble keeping up with the details of all the ships due to time limitations. Almost every week now I have at least one game where I  see a ship I had never even heard of before.  

[ARGSY]
Members
18,912 posts
13,143 battles

@TheGreatBlasto if you want to buy her I would wait. She was part of the first Black Friday event in 2018, and I bought the Asashio Black (identical in every other way) in 2019's event when she was cheaper than the regular version. WG regards them as separate ships with exactly the same vital stats. 

If you can hold off a few more months, you might be able to grab the Asashio B at a discount.

[-1]
Members
579 posts
9,068 battles

BB players are quite aware of Asashio so the moment they learn where you are they tend to play quite passively or just shift to another flank. CVs are a big problem. Basically you should be aware of how MM queue looks like at the moment.

[-VT-]
Members
754 posts
23,893 battles

Asashio's are normally very good player or just some on that goes up and flank to hunt a CV and are completely useless.

On its special DWT it should be linked to tonnage not class, all the "super" or heavy cruiser should be clocked by them as well

Sign in to follow this