You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DuaneLancaster

Useful guides for carriers

16 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
5 posts
1,458 battles

I was super excited to see the German carrier in my dock today, and then half a dozen matches later I'm feeling like I'll never take it out of dock again.

• The torpedoes from bombers appear to have a range of about 2.5 km.
  • It doesn't seem possible to get close enough to any ship with AA to launch.
  • No matter what type of plane you attack with, it seems like the entire squadron gets shredded; no squadron seems to survive an attack

The videos on the website are pretty thin regarding carriers, and their videos don't show your squadrons getting ripped up every time they attack.  I feel like I have to be doing something wrong but I can't find any guidance on what it is.  Are there any player/community-created guides for using carriers?

Thanks.

[WOLF6]
Members
5 posts
1,458 battles

I got the Weser. I try to pick off ships that are alone without support from other ships.  Doesn't matter.  No squadron survives an attack run.

Once the attack run is over, there are almost never any planes left in the squadron.  If there are - one or two - no amount of WASD seems to matter.  They just get shredded.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles
35 minutes ago, DuaneLancaster said:

I was super excited to see the German carrier in my dock today, and then half a dozen matches later I'm feeling like I'll never take it out of dock again.

• The torpedoes from bombers appear to have a range of about 2.5 km.
  • It doesn't seem possible to get close enough to any ship with AA to launch.
  • No matter what type of plane you attack with, it seems like the entire squadron gets shredded; no squadron seems to survive an attack

The videos on the website are pretty thin regarding carriers, and their videos don't show your squadrons getting ripped up every time they attack.  I feel like I have to be doing something wrong but I can't find any guidance on what it is.  Are there any player/community-created guides for using carriers?

Thanks.

Yeah problem is many of the tubing CCs don't like carriers so there isn't many individual ship guides in regards to them like the other types.

If flak is the problem the simple rule is where there is one burst another is headed straight there. Dodge those grey clouds by banking left and right or dive under with an attack run.

What tier was this?

Edited by Sumseaman

[TBB]
Members
616 posts
4,838 battles

I'm averaging really good numbers in my opinion on that ship. Lemme know if u need help. 

[PVE]
Members
6,151 posts
22,432 battles
31 minutes ago, DuaneLancaster said:

You should edit a question mark at the end of your title...I was expecting a useful guide for carriers based on the title as it is :-)

[WOLF6]
Members
5 posts
1,458 battles
7 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

I'm averaging really good numbers in my opinion on that ship. Lemme know if u need help. 

You've definitely got tons of experience. :)  Thank you.

[TARK]
Members
6,548 posts
2,512 battles
55 minutes ago, DuaneLancaster said:

I got the Weser. I try to pick off ships that are alone without support from other ships.  Doesn't matter.  No squadron survives an attack run.

Once the attack run is over, there are almost never any planes left in the squadron.  If there are - one or two - no amount of WASD seems to matter.  They just get shredded.

What captain skills do you have?

Aircraft armor AND survivability expert are MANDATORY for carriers above tier 4.

Flak spawns based on your planes heading and speed. You are in control of where they show up. Watch the indicator for AA fire...when it shows up turn or boost. Adjust course or speed in time with the flak burst pulses and they will always miss...

...then you just have to pay the DPS tax, which is why you have the two captain skills.

Practice makes better...and the best place to practice is tier 4.

[WOLF6]
Members
5 posts
1,458 battles
8 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Practice makes better...and the best place to practice is tier 4.

That's part of the issue.  This carrioer just showed up in my dock today.  I didn't purchase it and it didn't come out of a crate.  I don't know how it got here, but I don't have a Tier IV to practice with.

[TARK]
Members
6,548 posts
2,512 battles
1 minute ago, DuaneLancaster said:

That's part of the issue.  This carrioer just showed up in my dock today.  I didn't purchase it and it didn't come out of a crate.  I don't know how it got here, but I don't have a Tier IV to practice with.

When the event ends...get the tier 4.

Carriers play a LOT different from the other classes. Practice will help.

[CLUMP]
Members
818 posts
1,165 battles

Tier 4 is where you start learning basic stuff about CV  tier 6 is where you learn how to dodge flak pick the right the targets and tier 8 you perfect all of this :Smile_hiding:

[TARK]
Members
6,548 posts
2,512 battles
1 minute ago, LastRemnant said:

Tier 4 is where you start learning basic stuff about CV  tier 6 is where you learn how to dodge flak pick the right the targets and tier 8 you perfect all of this :Smile_hiding:

You should be learning to dodge flak in tier 4. Make it your goal to lose max one or two planes in total of the flight when attacking ANY ship at tiers 3-5.

Tier 6 is all about using fighters and understanding how to influence a match beyond mere damage farming.

By tier 8 you should have at least a 12-14 point captain and be good at almost everything about the class.

[CLUMP]
Members
818 posts
1,165 battles
8 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

You should be learning to dodge flak in tier 4. Make it your goal to lose max one or two planes in total of the flight when attacking ANY ship at tiers 3-5.

Tier 6 is all about using fighters and understanding how to influence a match beyond mere damage farming.

By tier 8 you should have at least a 12-14 point captain and be good at almost everything about the class.

Well in tier 4 you learn bad habits because AA isn't as terrifying at is tier 6 and above :Smile_hiding: Fighters are really are a moot point when they can get shot down easily and don't last long :Smile_popcorn:As for influencing I severely doubt  that CV can only be at one place at not everywhere :Smile_amazed: Unlike BBs Cruisers and DDs when I citadel something we don't take 1/4 of HP from a ship or heat shell ships to death either finally have you ever seen a CV one shooting or nearly delete a ship hp with torp salvo :Smile_sceptic: 

Edited by LastRemnant

[TARK]
Members
6,548 posts
2,512 battles
23 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

Well in tier 4 you learn bad habits because AA isn't as terrifying at is tier 6 and above :Smile_hiding: Fighters are really are a moot point when they can get shot down easily and don't last long :Smile_popcorn:As for influencing I severely doubt  that CV can only be at one place at not everywhere :Smile_amazed: Unlike BBs Cruisers and DDs when I citadel something we don't take 1/4 of HP from a ship or heat shell ships to death either finally have you ever seen a CV one shooting or nearly delete a ship hp with torp salvo :Smile_sceptic: 

I have deleted ships in one shot with a torpedo salvo. Detonations are still a thing...

And yes, you have far more influence than most think.