Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CptRemy

California Shows Promise

11 comments in this topic

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
8,005 battles

My second game in Randoms with my new BB, the California. and a Kraken! Not a very high damage game and a loss to boot, but I see potential! 

The guns are a little underwhelming against other same or higher tier BBs, but she does have a lot of them and they are accurate. Makes it a monster Cruiser killer though. She is slow, but I already expected that from playing the other US standard BBs.

Very nice looking ship:cap_cool: 

It will have a lot of work to do to get on the same status level as my two favorite BBs, the Montana, and Alabama. I put John Doe in charge of her and I have faith.

I have tried the HE several times with little luck, but keep in mind I only just got her, so not much experience yet.

I enjoy my US BBs, all of them, even the Colorado.

Are you guys enjoying her? 

aAPFOwb.jpg

sfZ1m18.jpg

(Hope the images work)

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,471 posts
20,080 battles

For a ship that was largely panned in the initial reviews it seems to be doing quite well. HOWEVER, the number of games is still pretty low so has yet to settle into it's final ranking. Players will learn how to play it but they will also learn how to deal with it. 

Yahagi, another such panned ship, has maintained its high rankings BUT still has very few games so I would assume that only very good players, those that can make it work, are playing it.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 1

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
8,005 battles
41 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

For a ship that was largely panned in the initial reviews it seems to be doing quite well. HOWEVER, the number of games is still pretty low so has yet to settle into it's final ranking. Players will learn how to play it but they will also learn how to deal with it. 

The red Colorado was taking large chunks of health from me at range, the armor seems to do better at medium/short ranges.

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
8,005 battles

Another Kraken and another defeat. Whats it take to win?

This time I was top tier and my First Blood and Dev Strike was a 12 gun HE salute to a Nicholas, felt kind of sorry, but he gave me the opportunity to switch to HE and shoot. Cali's guns are great, especially that accuracy.:Smile_trollface:

The weirdest thing in this match was a red Scharn who was peeking out from an island to shoot and then reverse behind it to hide as I was capping B, had he just rushed and torped me, I would have had no escape, as it was he never pushed into me. Still, they won, so good on him.

Some of those fires were my secondaries as you can see I had 31 hits. It was a lot of close range fighting and the secondaries reach out to 7.2km(I believe 7.6 with flag), I think it catches people off guard.

R2gMant.jpg

Feel free to post Kraken screenshots of your California games.

Happy Hunting!

[GRETA]
Members
1,432 posts
10,883 battles
1 hour ago, CptRemy said:

Another Kraken and another defeat. Whats it take to win?

This time I was top tier and my First Blood and Dev Strike was a 12 gun HE salute to a Nicholas, felt kind of sorry, but he gave me the opportunity to switch to HE and shoot. Cali's guns are great, especially that accuracy.:Smile_trollface:

The weirdest thing in this match was a red Scharn who was peeking out from an island to shoot and then reverse behind it to hide as I was capping B, had he just rushed and torped me, I would have had no escape, as it was he never pushed into me. Still, they won, so good on him.

Some of those fires were my secondaries as you can see I had 31 hits. It was a lot of close range fighting and the secondaries reach out to 7.2km(I believe 7.6 with flag), I think it catches people off guard.

R2gMant.jpg

Feel free to post Kraken screenshots of your California games.

Happy Hunting!

I have found some of my highest damage/kill games tend to be losses.  That kind of performance out of me requires a unique combination of potatoes on both sides that usually (in spite of my herculean efforts) ends in a loss.   Great game anyway.  Ty for sharing.

• Cool 1

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
8,005 battles

Finally, the wins are rolling in and so are the 100k+ damage games. 

Tip = use HE against tier 9 BBs, especially bow on, it's very effective. That said AP is still King! 

I really haven't felt useless in tier 9 matches, not like I was expecting. Another tip, a full broadside salvo of HE against DDs is insane, usually ending up in a Dev Strike, with the accuracy of these guns, it's pretty easy hitting DDs from the 9 to 14km range,even further if you're a good shot!:cap_rambo:

MWSEkjP.jpg

• Cool 1

[WAMMY]
Members
2,601 posts
14,463 battles
10 hours ago, CptRemy said:

Finally, the wins are rolling in and so are the 100k+ damage games. 

Tip = use HE against tier 9 BBs, especially bow on, it's very effective. That said AP is still King! 

I really haven't felt useless in tier 9 matches, not like I was expecting. Another tip, a full broadside salvo of HE against DDs is insane, usually ending up in a Dev Strike, with the accuracy of these guns, it's pretty easy hitting DDs from the 9 to 14km range,even further if you're a good shot!:cap_rambo:

MWSEkjP.jpg

Hey

Nice score.  Very respectable no matter what your in.

Pete

• Cool 1

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
8,005 battles

Still having a hard time getting a win, but I do enjoy playing her. The guns are still nice.

Bo4Enhs.jpg

[DISST]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,035 posts

The guns are very situational and I have trouble at range with her so I used a secondary build and am having some fun with that. 

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
8,005 battles
On 7/30/2020 at 8:07 PM, flyingtaco said:

The guns are very situational and I have trouble at range with her so I used a secondary build and am having some fun with that. 

Ha, yeah, I have a secondary build, its fun, not extremely effective, but fun-ish.

[WAMMY]
Members
2,601 posts
14,463 battles

Hey

1st Game in California.  I thought I would warm up by playing Arizona 3 games (top Loser in 2 of 3 and a 4th in the other) and then played Texas and was top winner.  Played California in a T6/7 games and was 9th in a winning game.  The California sucks (a 10pt captain on board).  Wargaming should never have placed it at T7, it's a T6 boat at best and seriously needs more work.  Give the gun reload into the 32 second range since they are rather weak in damage.  At the very least give it secondary's that can have some usable range say 7km or suck, as the armor can't brawl anything, the rudder is very slow, the turret rotation is terrible for T7.  The AA was ok, only shot down 4 planes in that game on a T6 carrier.  I would so much rather take the Arizona into battle that the California.  Once again, a failed build by Wargaming and it could have been so much more and a better seller.

Pete

Sign in to follow this