You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
YouSatInGum

There absolutely, positively should have been a captain reset for this clan battle season

25 comments in this topic

Members
1,051 posts
9,827 battles

Starting to feel like it's just a money grab to not have free captain reset for clan battles.

Reason #1.  For many T6 boats, they are more effective with IFHE to deal with BBs and higher tier cruisers.  This is not the case for clan battles. Out of 7 games last night, exactly 0% were ships where IFHE would help.  That's right, saw 0 BBs and don't expect to see many.  I am having to bear extra cost to participate in clan battles to make my ships more competitive, AND leave them less competitive in random because I'm not going to pay to switch them back and forth.

Reason #2.  In random, you can be attacked by CV, but not all games have them and usually their efforts are more spread out.  Basically put, you can go a few games at a time without having to worry about them much, making AA builds a lower priority.  In CB last night, I shot down planes in every single battle.  Simple put, AA builds (well as much as one can anymore) are more beneficial.  Again, another reason to respec your captain.

WG, the rationale given before about ending free respec because CVs are in both game modes now just doesn't fly anymore.  IFHE has nothing to do with that, and the amount of CV on surface ship interactions is at an entirely different level in CB.  Please do to right thing and don't make us pay to participate in Clan Battles.

@Hapa_Fodder I hope you will report this sentiment across the pond to those who make such decisions.

Edited by YouSatInGum
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 5

Members
1,603 posts
25,123 battles

But... even though there wasn't, you'll still play and pay, so... what's their incentive?

Edited by theLaalaa
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
2,017 posts
6,198 battles

It would have been great to get Captain resets simply because we have to move captains from Tier 10 to T6 ships.    

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

Except that some of us likely playing tier 6 as well as higher tiers so we might have some 19 point captains perfectly suited to anything the game throws at it.

My Graf Spee has its own unique 19 point captain made especially for it since I have always loved using Graf Spee so much.

Queen Elizabeth has a 19 point captain that it shares with all my Royal Navy Premium BBs.

P.E. Friedrich shares a 19 point captain with Gneisenau and Scharnhorst.

Rest of my ships at tier are adequately equipped, but do not have 19 point captains as it does take something to manage that level of captain particularly at mid tier. So only my favorites / those in most need of 19 pointers get fed the large amounts of ECXP required.

And honestly I can’t be the only player that does this sort of thing, which might be partially why no free captain resets. Which really you don’t really need to reset captains in regards to dealing with CVs. Randoms and Ranked you are in the same boat and either you have some provisions for dealing with CVs or you don’t, and Clan Battles having CVs really should not be that great of a shock to your builds.

And if it really bothers you, then you can always grind some ECXP using high tier, switch the reset from doubloons to ECXP and rest your captain that way.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 minute ago, eviltane said:

It would have been great to get Captain resets simply because we have to move captains from Tier 10 to T6 ships.    

It may be an incentive to have ships at the ready at various tiers / play various tiers. Which is why I have always been big on not only having on to any and all ships as long as they are at least some what decent, but also keeping them all in a status that at a moment’s notice they are ready to go into battle with an adequate captain if not better.

Which adequate for me typically is at least 12 points, but even 10 points can manage. (I like Adrenaline Rush added onto all captains which is why minimum captains are 12 points as I also have a LS or EM depending on ship class.)

Only my Premium Ships are allowed not to have their own captains if they have a suitable tech tree ship to share the captain with.

[SALVO]
Members
2,017 posts
6,198 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

It may be an incentive to have ships at the ready at various tiers / play various tiers. Which is why I have always been big on not only having on to any and all ships as long as they are at least some what decent, but also keeping them all in a status that at a moment’s notice they are ready to go into battle with an adequate captain if not better.

Which adequate for me typically is at least 12 points, but even 10 points can manage. (I like Adrenaline Rush added onto all captains which is why minimum captains are 12 points as I also have a LS or EM depending on ship class.)

Only my Premium Ships are allowed not to have their own captains if they have a suitable tech tree ship to share the captain with.

I'm close to 6k battles  but still only have  so many 19 pointers to go around.  Usually those are all sitting on my  high Tier ships which are the ones that I play the most so they  can earn prem  Captain XP.     I am also try hard so I like having a min max build whenever im in Competitive.      To be sure though I know that its me putting on the requirement for having 19 pointers in CBs so I did pony up the costs.  I am not whining or begging WG to change it,   I just think this is a legit  and good reason to have free respecs when changing up tiers on competitive modes. 

Members
1,051 posts
9,827 battles

Bear in mind the resets, since I've been playing, didn't cover ship retraining, just skill reset.

12 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

But... even though there wasn't, you'll still play and pay, so... what's their incentive?

Goodwill, but that doesn't seem to be a priority.   But also, I know some players won't pay and such play with a slightly less competitive setup.  If players were allowed to have free reset, I think it would increase the "buy in" to the event from the players, and it demonstrates WG's commitment to the CB mode.  Clan Battle is the primary motivation for many players, and that commitment to those players will help keep them coming back.  If they keep coming back, WG will earn way more than a few 500 dub resets from them.  I think that is plenty of incentive, but it probably doesn't show up so well on a spreadsheet. 

Members
1,603 posts
25,123 battles

You can see their 'commitment' to Clan Battles by the inclusion of Carriers - so can a lot of others.

• Cool 3

Members
1,051 posts
9,827 battles
15 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Rest of my ships at tier are adequately equipped, but do not have 19 point captains as it does take something to manage that level of captain particularly at mid tier. So only my favorites / those in most need of 19 pointers get fed the large amounts of ECXP required.

And honestly I can’t be the only player that does this sort of thing, which might be partially why no free captain resets. Which really you don’t really need to reset captains in regards to dealing with CVs. Randoms and Ranked you are in the same boat and either you have some provisions for dealing with CVs or you don’t, and Clan Battles having CVs really should not be that great of a shock to your builds.

And if it really bothers you, then you can always grind some ECXP using high tier, switch the reset from doubloons to ECXP and rest your captain that way. 

As I explained before, the need to defend against planes is much much greater in CB.... I'd say double to triple the interaction compared to a random game.  That makes skills like BFT and AFT more viable.  AA is now a deciding factor in ship selection.  Ships with good AA like Pepsi get the nod for that reason. 

However, my main motivation for reset is taking IFHE off light cruisers.  They simply don't need it, and setting fires are more beneficial and competitive.   The IFHE nerf is responsible for this problem.  I just wish WG would take responsibility for this consequence that they created with the confluence of low tier CB and IFHE nerf.

BTW - I manage my boats similarly with 10-16 pointers on most of my tier 6-8 boats.... and I usually use ECXP for reset... but I think that is not really relevant to the reasons for a reset.

Members
1,051 posts
9,827 battles
6 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

It would have been nice, but it’s not a deal breaker.

You are right.  Not a deal breaker.  Just another straw for the camel to carry.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
9 minutes ago, eviltane said:

I'm close to 6k battles  but still only have  so many 19 pointers to go around.  Usually those are all sitting on my  high Tier ships which are the ones that I play the most so they  can earn prem  Captain XP.     I am also try hard so I like having a min max build whenever im in Competitive.      To be sure though I know that its me putting on the requirement for having 19 pointers in CBs so I did pony up the costs.  I am not whining or begging WG to change it,   I just think this is a legit  and good reason to have free respecs when changing up tiers on competitive modes. 

I am a Free to Play player so I too only have a limited number of 19 point captains. I just recently managed to get up to my 13th 19 point captain and they are able to serve on 34 of my ships tier 5+ currently in port. With more ships being possible to be used by them if and when I get additional premium ships added. So efficient use of my captains across as many ships as possible is the general idea. With ships like Gearing and Graf Spee being unique enough in their requirements to warrant their own captains. 

But as long as my 19 point captains have been well placed they pay the ECXP forward to other ships. So they have been good investments. And really does make true the saying that the more 19 point captains you get, the more you will get.

Members
1,058 posts
4,376 battles

I was thinking about the same thing, because I also wanted to reset my GKUR 19-pointer to make it more effective, as well as my Leander's 14 point Jingles captain, so that I could get rid of the Expert Loader Skill ( because it was on my British BBs ).

Then RNGeebus blessed me with a 1K Doubloon supercontainer.

-Shrayes

[SALVO]
Members
2,017 posts
6,198 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

And really does make true the saying that the more 19 point captains you get, the more you will get.

Oh yeah  absolutely.   Took me a year to get the first one then had 6 by the time year 2 ticked over. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
3 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

As I explained before, the need to defend against planes is much much greater in CB.... I'd say double to triple the interaction compared to a random game.  That makes skills like BFT and AFT more viable.  AA is now a deciding factor in ship selection.  Ships with good AA like Pepsi get the nod for that reason. 

However, my main motivation for reset is taking IFHE off light cruisers.  They simply don't need it, and setting fires are more beneficial and competitive.   The IFHE nerf is responsible for this problem.  I just wish WG would take responsibility for this consequence that they created with the confluence of low tier CB and IFHE nerf.

BTW - I manage my boats similarly with 10-16 pointers on most of my tier 6-8 boats.... and I usually use ECXP for reset... but I think that is not really relevant to the reasons for a reset.

Lol clearly you have not been in some of the Randoms battles I have been in where the need for improved AA was absolutely essential. Like when the Que dumps 2-3 CVs on the opposing high tier team and you have to try and fed off all those attacking aircraft. I know these situations can occur, so I plan ahead at least a little for them. And in doing so I can also make my ships have deadlier secondary guns as added bonus for those times I find myself in close quarters fights.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
7 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Oh yeah  absolutely.   Took me a year to get the first one then had 6 by the time year 2 ticked over. 

Yeah I have played since early 2017, and I think about half my 13x 19 point captains have been added within the last 12 months. And am now looking at another 7 captains possibly reaching 19 points within the next 12 months.

But took me like a year or 2 to get my first 3 captains as I lacked the array of good premium ships air got a little later. Then I quickly added a few more, then as I said things really have accelerated.

[DOG]
Members
1,109 posts
11,806 battles

I just bought T-61 yesterday.  I was planning to try my Monaghan, which I got in a random super crate, but I attempted to use it in a few random battles, and was underwhelmed.  So I just bought T-61 yesterday.  It looks mostly like a tier VI version of a Z-52, so I put my 19 point Z-52 captain in it.  It works okay.  I initially took Torpedo Tubes Modification 1 in slot 3, but the turret rotation was painful enough that I paid the 25 doubloons and switched it to Main Battery Mod 2.  It would have been nice to respec the captain to include expert marksman instead, since I'd really like to have the extra 3 knots of speed on the torps.  But that would have been something like 475 doubloons, IIRC.

[5D3]
[5D3]
Members
505 posts
15,152 battles
1 hour ago, YouSatInGum said:

Starting to feel like it's just a money grab to not have free captain reset for clan battles.

Reason #1.  For many T6 boats, they are more effective with IFHE to deal with BBs and higher tier cruisers.  This is not the case for clan battles. Out of 7 games last night, exactly 0% were ships where IFHE would help.  That's right, saw 0 BBs and don't expect to see many.  I am having to bear extra cost to participate in clan battles to make my ships more competitive, AND leave them less competitive in random because I'm not going to pay to switch them back and forth.

Reason #2.  In random, you can be attacked by CV, but not all games have them and usually their efforts are more spread out.  Basically put, you can go a few games at a time without having to worry about them much, making AA builds a lower priority.  In CB last night, I shot down planes in every single battle.  Simple put, AA builds (well as much as one can anymore) are more beneficial.  Again, another reason to respec your captain.

WG, the rationale given before about ending free respec because CVs are in both game modes now just doesn't fly anymore.  IFHE has nothing to do with that, and the amount of CV on surface ship interactions is at an entirely different level in CB.  Please do to right thing and don't make us pay to participate in Clan Battles.

@Hapa_Fodder I hope you will report this sentiment across the pond to those who make such decisions.

there should be one every season, just for the curiosity 

[DOG]
Members
1,109 posts
11,806 battles
26 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol clearly you have not been in some of the Randoms battles I have been in where the need for improved AA was absolutely essential. Like when the Que dumps 2-3 CVs on the opposing high tier team and you have to try and fed off all those attacking aircraft. I know these situations can occur, so I plan ahead at least a little for them. And in doing so I can also make my ships have deadlier secondary guns as added bonus for those times I find myself in close quarters fights.

What burns me is speccing a ship for AA and then not seeing a CV for days, since it means you're giving up something else that could have actually been useful.

[TBB]
Members
616 posts
4,885 battles

I get it, but they announced this a WHILE ago. I planned ahead, moving captains and skills around using the commander XP. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
16 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

What burns me is speccing a ship for AA and then not seeing a CV for days, since it means you're giving up something else that could have actually been useful.

You don’t have to full AA spec though, often times I just throw BFT onto ships so that I get +10% to all AA guns output. And at 3 skill points in cost it does not cost too much.

Other tricks I use if ships like Yamato I will opt for catapult fighters instead of spotter planes since Yamato’s optimal peak gun range is up to 25 to 26km historically sneaking of the real ship, and the in game version seems to follow suit. So on ships like that I can have the fighters there when needed. Same with ships like Bismarck that get really inaccurate at long range rendering spotter planes highly ineffective anyway.

DDs the BFT skill is no great sacrifice at all as it does help with AA and speeds up gun reload on pretty much any DD so long as they have gun caliber low enough. Think some German DDs May use 150mm guns so they would be the exception, but so many DDs use 127mm or lower which means they can be great with BFT.

Really the only ship off the top of my head that might suffer just a little in some ways to having BFT is Yoshino which I might have rather of had torpedo reload skill with how often I use torpedo attacks. But even then I have scored close quarters expert  when ships got way too close so BFT even on Yoshino has not been total waste in ship vs ship combat.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,887 posts
9,956 battles

Anybody know the % of players who play clan battles?

Cause that's most likely the answer to the thread title.

[BONKS]
Members
1,499 posts
50 battles
51 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

That would somehow imply an AA build is particularly useful against CVs to begin with.

Especially in low-mid tiers where DPS is even worse than in high tiers you're unlikely to see a return on your investment since the effects are percentage based. For example the Graf Spee has a total of ~160 DPS. Buffing it by 16 DPS to 176 with BFT is unlikely to make much of a difference if at all.

Members
1,051 posts
9,827 battles
3 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

That would somehow imply an AA build is particularly useful against CVs to begin with.

Especially in low-mid tiers where DPS is even worse than in high tiers you're unlikely to see a return on your investment since the effects are percentage based. For example the Graf Spee has a total of ~160 DPS. Buffing it by 16 DPS to 176 with BFT is unlikely to make much of a difference if at all.

Quite true.  On a ship with halfway decent AA like Pepsi, Dallas, or Haunghe it can make more a difference (provided it's not a CV cap like you then it makes no difference).

But as I said before, the main reason I've had to respec is IFHE.  Nearly all the boats you will face can be penned without IFHE.  Not only is it a wasted 4 points, it's arguably worse due to fire chance reductions.  

[DOG]
Members
654 posts
17,146 battles

This is a you problem. Cry baby post reported.