Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Darmokattenagra

Is this even possible?

18 comments in this topic

[WW2]
Members
342 posts
6,803 battles

Has anyone noticed some players with almost impossible stats? I've seen a few before but tonight one player was particularly vocal so I looked him up. Unicum with over a 60% win rate...ok you see those from time to time no big deal. However every stat seems super inflated. The dd column alone shows 100% in the past 7 days. I waited one hour after our loss in which he was in a dd and still showed 100% after update. Ok fine, but he has played 102 ships and NO ship is less than a 50% win rate. All 10 ships hes played once have a 100% wr. Never played a ranked or clan battle. It's just baffling to me and doesn't seem mathematically probable due to the randomness of the game. Even if it is a re roll account it's just crazy. I looked up several NA top players that I know and have only found one close and still didn't have stats like this guy. I don't think anyone can be that good. Am I wrong? I'd honestly like to know.

Screenshot_20200716-070348_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200716-070337_Chrome.jpg

• Boring 2

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,090 battles

You've never had a nice win streak for you before?

Looks like you caught him on a good run.

Members
2,819 posts
36,540 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

You've never had a nice win streak for you before?

Looks like you caught him on a good run.

Yeah, that player will likely slide into a black hole of losses sending the player to a salty reverie. You can't hold that streak forever. It's mathematically impossible.

[PVE]
Members
4,253 posts
18,541 battles

I have a friend that is one of those players whom enjoys finding the "exploits" in a game and using them to do just ^^^^.  He researches "what works" and then mines the value to the nth degree to be number one.  In games that have Leader Boards and are skill driven, he's always in the top 2% of those games.....  MWO was a good example where he only played at specific times, in specific vehicles, with specific teams to mine win values....  He never exposes himself to "random chances" and only focuses on very narrow play that yields the best outcomes.....  He isn't in this game because we aren't a meritocracy and really don't use skill at all.....  But, if he were, and we talk all of the time, he'd be "farming" to be the highest rated player.........it's his "thing" and is writing a book on gaming  !!!   

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,090 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

I have a friend that is one of those players whom enjoys finding the "exploits" in a game and using them to do just ^^^^.  He researches "what works" and then mines the value to the nth degree to be number one.  In games that have Leader Boards and are skill driven, he's always in the top 2% of those games.....  MWO was a good example where he only played at specific times, in specific vehicles, with specific teams to mine win values....  He never exposes himself to "random chances" and only focuses on very narrow play that yields the best outcomes.....  He isn't in this game because we aren't a meritocracy and really don't use skill at all.....  But, if he were, and we talk all of the time, he'd be "farming" to be the highest rated player.........it's his "thing" and is writing a book on gaming  !!!   

Is that considered joy or an obsession?

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,712 posts

If we're talking about Co-op (since this is the PVE subforum), then that's entirely possible. 

There are ships in my fleet that I've NEVER lost a battle with.  Ever. 

[PVE]
Members
4,253 posts
18,541 battles
59 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Is that considered joy or an obsession?

Yes. 

The guy is a genius and goes to great lengths to "figure it out"........  It is amazing when he is called by new game developers to "run the linear process" traps.....  The new AI stuff is really asymmetrical and is self learning.  The one demo he took on made him pocking furious.....  A demo called "scout:" where, the whole point is not to be seen while you gather data and it is a self learning skill progression demo.......you have to learn technologies to go up and the game is designed to trap players like my friend and "teach them" there are no short cuts (nicely, I might add....)   There were several "Barney" players (the top 5 percenters - Barney = purple) that quit because the game "told them the truth" about how "not good" they really were because you are all on your own and there are no exploits in that game and every player has a unique experience.......can't share or report exploits because there are none....   Last I heard, that team is struggling with "learning curves" because the AI adapts itself to what you strive for and then models it's profile to and on what "you actually know".........and, that threatens a lot of people (a Toffler wave thingy no less........and, I got called to look at that portion of the game.)  A great teaching game but;...............geeze, I found it fun and a great many others were pulling their hair out........!  By the way, the younger the player, the higher the satisfaction in playing the game....  That's the future.......

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,090 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Yes. 

The guy is a genius and goes to great lengths to "figure it out"........  It is amazing when he is called by new game developers to "run the linear process" traps.....  The new AI stuff is really asymmetrical and is self learning.  The one demo he took on made him pocking furious.....  A demo called "scout:" where, the whole point is not to be seen while you gather data and it is a self learning skill progression demo.......you have to learn technologies to go up and the game is designed to trap players like my friend and "teach them" there are no short cuts (nicely, I might add....)   There were several "Barney" players (the top 5 percenters - Barney = purple) that quit because the game "told them the truth" about how "not good" they really were because you are all on your own and there are no exploits in that game and every player has a unique experience.......can't share or report exploits because there are none....   Last I heard, that team is struggling with "learning curves" because the AI adapts itself to what you strive for and then models it's profile to and on what "you actually know".........and, that threatens a lot of people (a Toffler wave thingy no less........and, I got called to look at that portion of the game.)  A great teaching game but;...............geeze, I found it fun and a great many others were pulling their hair out........!  By the way, the younger the player, the higher the satisfaction in playing the game....  That's the future.......

Imagine if the co-op bots in this game adapted that way?  That's scary.

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles
16 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Imagine if when the co-op bots in this game our everyday lives adapted that way?  That's scary.

Now that's scary.

[PVE]
Members
4,253 posts
18,541 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Imagine if the co-op bots in this game adapted that way?  That's scary.

The AI "customizes" what you value as "fun and important" and tests those assumption every game....to actually make you better at what you think is fun while accomplishing the stages of the game....  If something isn't producing you "value" the game starts to determine where you want to go.....  In some demo's, it actually asks you what you want to do now or next.  If you can't pass a stage, it determines what is wrong and very subtly move you in the correct direction.   These aren't games that each stage can be found in a cheat book on Amazon........  Because, each player's experiences aren't set in stone: they are unique to that player.

BOTs run by an AI are pretty smart and are "tuned" to your skill level plus a small percentage above you.....  Remember, there is a Combat Effectiveness (CE) system in these games so the game knows where your combat skill are !  You can set difficulty levels as well.....  Pretty cool stuff.....  SIMs are better though because they are PVP and use advanced AI processes where the replays actually can show you exactly what the optimal solution(s) was/were when you failed....  A great way to teach....  

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,712 posts
24 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

The AI "customizes" what you value as "fun and important" and tests those assumption every game....to actually make you better at what you think is fun while accomplishing the stages of the game....  If something isn't producing you "value" the game starts to determine where you want to go.....  In some demo's, it actually asks you what you want to do now or next.  If you can't pass a stage, it determines what is wrong and very subtly move you in the correct direction.   These aren't games that each stage can be found in a cheat book on Amazon........  Because, each player's experiences aren't set in stone: they are unique to that player.

BOTs run by an AI are pretty smart and are "tuned" to your skill level plus a small percentage above you.....  Remember, there is a Combat Effectiveness (CE) system in these games so the game knows where your combat skill are !  You can set difficulty levels as well.....  Pretty cool stuff.....  SIMs are better though because they are PVP and use advanced AI processes where the replays actually can show you exactly what the optimal solution(s) was/were when you failed....  A great way to teach....  

Sounds like hell. 

The last thing I want is any software trying to "help" me, adapt to me, or "teach" me.  

I need my tools to do what I tell them to do, not what they think I want them to do, or what they think I really need them to do.  

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,253 posts
18,541 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Sounds like hell. 

The last thing I want is any software trying to "help" me, adapt to me, or "teach" me.  

I need my tools to do what I tell them to do, not what they think I want them to do, or what they think I really need them to do. 

Party pooper.........  It's really pretty cool.......or, humbling.  It is the future though.  They will, one day soon, change gaming...... 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,712 posts
3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Party pooper.........  It's really pretty cool.......or, humbling.  It is the future though.  They will, one day soon, change gaming...... 

I've been saying this is my last video game.

One more reason.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,484 posts
24,666 battles

Over the last few months I've been picking up classic games as they've been appearing on various gamestores in sales and such. WoWS will eventually peter out and when it does I have a bank of games ready to go.

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles

Gaming (PC and otherwise) has been used since the '70s to push tech innovation AND artificial intelligence.  A good analogy would be aircraft technology being utilized in the automobile industry.

Actual improvements in gaming AI will quickly pervade EVERY other instance of computer control.  Simultaneously exciting and worrisome.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,712 posts
3 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Gaming (PC and otherwise) has been used since the '70s to push tech innovation AND artificial intelligence.  A good analogy would be aircraft technology being utilized in the automobile industry.

Actual improvements in gaming AI will quickly pervade EVERY other instance of computer control.  Simultaneously exciting and worrisome.

That worries me A LOT, starting to see it in OS/UI design, one of the things I hate about certain software products is that they try to be in control while doing what they think you want them to do, not what you actually tell them to do. 

Computers are tools, on a fundamental level no different from a hammer or a wrench.  I don't need my hammer arguing with me over how hard to hit that nail.  See also, cars -- given where the "tech" in cars is going, I think my next car will be a restored older car, I'd rather have a dial radio than a car that can be force-updated remotely and constantly tries to report my location.  

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
281 posts
2,764 battles
5 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Computers are tools, on a fundamental level no different from a hammer or a wrench.  I don't need my hammer arguing with me over how hard to hit that nail.  See also, cars -- given where the "tech" in cars is going, I think my next car will be a restored older car, I'd rather have a dial radio than a car that can be force-updated remotely and constantly tries to report my location. 

This

Sign in to follow this