You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nimitz_Zumwalt

Yamato's Secondaries

20 comments in this topic

Members
88 posts
5,594 battles

Ok some newbie question here.Do you guys use IFHE for secondaries? So far I have 16pts captain with EL,EM,AR,BFT,MFT and AFT..I'm experimenting a good build.

[HINON]
Members
12,950 posts

No ifhe is not worth it on yamato. Are you just going for a secondary meme build?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,663 posts
13,998 battles

IFHE is really only viable on small caliber guns, 5" and smaller in general, and then DE is a good idea.

Members
88 posts
5,594 battles
11 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

No ifhe is not worth it on yamato. Are you just going for a secondary meme build?

Not really,In just wondering if its worth it ir not.Unlike Alsace I ended up using ifhe to make it usable.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,311 posts
8,473 battles

IMO IFHE isn’t worth it on any secondary builds. The loss in fire chance is very noticable, and the ships that benefitted from it the most pre-rework can no longer get their pen up to 27mm (Massachusetts, Georgia, and Ohio with their 127s).

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,460 battles
41 minutes ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

Do you guys use IFHE for secondaries?

No because it kills the fire chance.   IFHE relies on shells hitting which is not guaranteed damage.  When a fire starts, that is 100% guaranteed damage that racks up.  If they damage control, they will just get set on fire again because the secondaries don't stop firing. 

[HINON]
Members
12,950 posts
54 minutes ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

In that case, maybe try a build that compliments yamatos role as a sniper. She is less ideal in close range combat due to her octagonal citadel shape. I'd go for PT, EM, SI, FP then circle around for CE, BOS, AR. This is a pretty standard BB build for most of them.

Members
1,578 posts
33,920 battles

I never use IFHE on most ships. Only exception is like shimakaze due to few guns and it's better to disable enemy DDs with it.

On Yammy, I secbat optimize, but no manual. I use it to keep DDs off of me. And of course if you happen to tussle, you can.

Alpha Tester
6,312 posts
3,134 battles

Anyone else here remember when the Yamato legitimately had the best secondaries in the game? It was back even before the German BBs came around.

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,533 posts
4,935 battles
Just now, 1Sherman said:

Anyone else here remember when the Yamato legitimately had the best secondaries in the game? It was back even before the German BBs came around.

Yes, I do.  Shikishima now is in the running for best given that it has a Harugumo strapped to each side, plus the 155s fore and aft.  The 100mm guns pen 30mm natively, 37mm with IFHE, and have a 20 round per minute rate of fire.

Of course being mounted on a Yamato hull is not ideal for a secondary build, but it is probably fun for the luls.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,095 posts
4,578 battles
1 hour ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

Ok some newbie question here.Do you guys use IFHE for secondaries? So far I have 16pts captain with EL,EM,AR,BFT,MFT and AFT..I'm experimenting a good build.

Short answer, no.

For starters, you shouldnt even be doing secondaries on Yamato ever, save for a meme/challenge. You are blowing 11 captain points on something useless. However it is your boat and your cap, so I will say Yamato does NOT benifit from IFHE secondaries. 

Shikishima however, does. It may be the same hull but their secondary armaments are vastly different. IFHE pushes BOTH Shikishimas batteries over 32mm pen (a crucial threshold). I forget what it does to Yamato, but Shikis powerhouse is her quarter pen 100mms (which Yamato does not have) are a BEAST with IFHE. With IFHE, I'm fairly certain Shikishima is the best secondary ship in the game in terms of pen and dpm.

TL;DR if you want a secondary Yamato, get a Shikishima where IFHE will actually be useful.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,114 posts
10,031 battles
57 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I never use IFHE on most ships. Only exception is like shimakaze due to few guns and it's better to disable enemy DDs with it.

On Yammy, I secbat optimize, but no manual. I use it to keep DDs off of me. And of course if you happen to tussle, you can.

Shima doesn't really get an advantage from IFHE though. You can already pen dds. 

[4-FUN]
[4-FUN]
Members
123 posts
8,599 battles
2 hours ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

It depends as to whether you want to cross the 25mm pen barrier with the smaller secondaries which have 19mm pen without IFHE.

Generally, the two main barriers you have to consider are 25 and 32mm. This is why I take IFHE on Georga, Alsace and Repub. It is needed to get one type secondary over either the 25 or 32mm barrier. In the case of the Alsace (and JB as same Capt), it is double needed so as to get its 100mms past 19mm pen (they come stock at 17mm) so as to be able to pen most DDs.

Yes, this does drop your fire chance, however I find that high ROF compensates for this and in games where I do 100 or more secondaries hits, I am lighting several fires anyhow. I much prefer that my secondaries can pen and do 10-30k damage a game rather than zero damage and 1-2 extra fires (most of which are put out anyhow).

IMO, it isnt worth it on the Yammy as its smaller secondaries are at 21mm, and that is enough to take out a DD like the Harigumo which has 19mm of front and side armour.

Dont worry about the negative nellies in this thread, if you enjoy secondaries, do it.

Re the Shikishima and IFHE, it depends as to whether you see it brawling with BBs like the Repub which as 32mm front and side plating. Both secondaries on that ship come standard with 30mm Pen (100s) and 26mm Pen (155s). IMO, due to the slow rotation speed of its turrets and non brawling friendly cheek citadel, I personally would not take IFHE on this ship either and as I would use the Yammy Capt for it, that finalises the Yammy IFHE question for me.

Here is an excellent recent example of how to play a secondary Yammy build (two weeks old). You will note it chew up a DD (around 4min mark) that dared to venture within 10kms of its secondaries. I think Renari is not using IFHE here, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by CC123

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,501 posts
10,992 battles

IFHE isnt worth taking for a secondary build, and secondary build isnt exactly viable for Yammy, sure its got alot of them, but getting close opens up that extremely vulnerable citadel its got

[EGO]
Members
9 posts
4,333 battles

I have Yamato, and have specced her mostly for secondary work, but honestly, the secondary buff is well... secondary. I’m running her with both BFT and AFT primarily to buff her AA to decent levels thanks to the CV & AA rebalancing, and the additional increase in Secondary performance comes as an amusing side effect. I do run the modules slightly for secondary buffing again, but mostly enough that if a DD pops around a corner or gets lit by Radar, I can be alerted to the threat, and return to my original target. The range I have on my Yamato is 10.6, which is very good, but as far as IFHE goes, I had it before IFHE got tweaked, and pre-change, it was hilarious to watch my damage numbers tick upwards. After the change, I removed IFHE from my build, and focused on range, RoF, and increasing my fire chance. While I’m sure my build isn’t optimal, it is still useful, and a hilarious change of pace to watch as people react to a Yamato playing VERY aggressively, much more in line with German BB and the occasional Kremlin play. So many people are used to having Yamato be used defensively and far back lest they get cheeked, so when I take my Yamato for a countercharge, I more often than not will see the shock and consternation as my secondaries open up from extreme(read-GERMAN) ranges, followed by the 460mm guns lining up for high number, close range brawl shots.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,029 posts
8,801 battles
4 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Shima doesn't really get an advantage from IFHE though. You can already pen dds. 

It can cross over the 32mm threshold to pen BBs

[WOLF3]
Members
25,645 posts
22,602 battles
5 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

Yes, I still remember that.  Again, it was all before the German BB Line went live.  I remember players liked to Secondary Spec Nagato, Amagi, and Yamato.  I recall the justification by Yammie players was that they felt the accuracy of the guns was already more than enough, so Secondary Spec was used.  But 2015 was a very different time.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,114 posts
10,031 battles
55 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

It can cross over the 32mm threshold to pen BBs

He was talking about the Shimakaze though, guess I have to stop abbreviating Shima now.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,029 posts
8,801 battles
10 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

He was talking about the Shimakaze though, guess I have to stop abbreviating Shima now.

I missed that part