You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Kill stealing accusation causes me to chuckle

49 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,120 posts
13,731 battles

I had to grin at this one.

The situation:  I'm driving my Emile Bertin. 3 enemy ships, 2 BB's & a CV,  left in a coop. I had launched a salvo of 3 torpedoes. 2 hit & sunk one BB. The 3rd hit a second BB. As to bring the other side's torpedoes to bear I turned I'm shooting HE and set the BB on fire. Of course all remaining ships are hammering away at the BB. I & another ship launch torpedoes that reach the ship about the same time as our torpedoes are hitting the ship I get the sink it by fire damage.  

I see "Nice kill steal" in chat. There were 6 ships shooting at that single BB but I was kill stealing.

Like I said I had to chuckle at this ludicrous accusation.

My intent is not to rehash "kill stealing". It is just I saw humor due to the situation.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[WOLF7]
Members
210 posts

This is a team game. If your team wins, you win. There's no such thing as kill stealing. :cap_hmm:

• Cool 5

[WOLF3]
Members
26,992 posts
23,790 battles

The sooner an enemy ship gets put down, the better.  Yeah, sure, I'd like to get the kill myself, but it's always better for the enemy player to get put down ASAP.

Before the enemy ship somehow:

Breaks contact and goes back into stealth, gets away.  It's bad if it's a DD that gets away, Adrenaline Rush is kicking and their torps reload faster.  It's bad if you let some ship with Mega Repair Party get away, they'll come back recharged and ready to be a problem again.  But most of all, it's bad if you let a great player get away.  He's going to start doing things to make life difficult for your team.

Gets off one last attack before dying that heavily damages or kills a teammate.  "It's just a flesh wound" award is easy to get.

===

Years ago when I was a newer player, I remember incidents like having a chance to finish an enemy ship off, but I held off on pulling the trigger.

Me:  "Someone else worked that target down, I'll let him take the kill credit."

Except that target does the things I mentioned earlier.  Sometimes that last attack he gets off hits ME

After a few of such incidents, I didn't care anymore and made it a point to make sure the enemy player gets put down ASAP.

The sooner an enemy player is removed from the match, the sooner there's 1 less enemy ship that can do harm to your team.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 5

Members
1,092 posts
6 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

The situation:  I'm driving my Emile Bertin. 3 enemy ships, 2 BB's & a CV,  left in a coop. I had launched a salvo of 3 torpedoes. 2 hit & sunk one BB. The 3rd hit a second BB. As to bring the other side's torpedoes to bear I turned I'm shooting HE and set the BB on fire. Of course all remaining ships are hammering away at the BB. I & another ship launch torpedoes that reach the ship about the same time as our torpedoes are hitting the ship I get the sink it by fire damage.  

I see "Nice kill steal" in chat. There were 6 ships shooting at that single BB but I was kill stealing.

My intent is not to rehash "kill stealing". It is just I saw humor due to the situation.

You sir are a thief. Like all good thieves you should revel in your ability to do such dastardly deeds.:fish_viking:

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[HINON]
Members
13,240 posts

I'd just say actually it was kill securing but thanks for the compliment. 

[OIL-1]
Members
1,259 posts

Was in a co-op game last night.
Guy kept going on and on about the idiot in the Kremlin that didn't know what he was doing.
Finally he said "nvm, it's a bot."
I hit the tab key. Sure enough the Kremlin driver was a :bot:

• Funny 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The sooner an enemy ship gets put down, the better.  Yeah, sure, I'd like to get the kill myself, but it's always better for the enemy player to get put down ASAP.

Before the enemy ship somehow:

Breaks contact and goes back into stealth, gets away.  It's bad if it's a DD that gets away, Adrenaline Rush is kicking and their torps reload faster.  It's bad if you let some ship with Mega Repair Party get away, they'll come back recharged and ready to be a problem again.  But most of all, it's bad if you let a great player get away.  He's going to start doing things to make life difficult for your team.

Gets off one last attack before dying that heavily damages or kills a teammate.  "It's just a flesh wound" award is easy to get.

===

Years ago when I was a newer player, I remember incidents like having a chance to finish an enemy ship off, but I held off on pulling the trigger.

Me:  "Someone else worked that target down, I'll let him take the kill credit."

Except that target does the things I mentioned earlier.  Sometimes that last attack he gets off hits ME

After a few of such incidents, I didn't care anymore and made it a point to make sure the enemy player gets put down ASAP.

The sooner an enemy player is removed from the match, the sooner there's 1 less enemy ship that can do harm to your team.

This, I have done over 75k damage in a ship with 1k health. Now in my case they were trying hard to put me out of their misery but I was doing some epic "Just Dodging" but the point that there is no kill stealing just kill securing still applies.

• Cool 1

[WOLFH]
Members
21 posts
6,670 battles

I once had a real kill stolen from me..... The enemy team had a couple of NC's in division... and I was hammering one of the NC's...got it down to about 4k or so...waiting for the reload to finish so I could sink it, and before the reload was done, the NC's division mate shot him and sunk him, "scuttled" him with a TK.... so I gave the div mate my just reloaded salvo and took maybe 15-20k off him.... then we heckled each other for a bit while we were both reloading.

• Funny 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,097 posts
4,081 battles

I've launched full BB salvos at ships with less than a thousand HP. I'd much rather waste a salvo then let him get away. Because we all know that the guy who complains about kill stealing is just a likely to ignore a low HP ship for some other juicier target. If people don't want to see kill stealing, don't leave low HP ships get away, because you will probably regret it later.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,050 posts
8,580 battles

Kill stealing only really comes up when Kill Directives are a thing. In some ways I understand the frustration behind it, but then again just go to coop if you are concerned about kills. In randoms I want ships dead by any means. I see far too many ships escaping on low HP only to return and help turn the tide against us.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,120 posts
13,731 battles
11 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

You sir are a thief. Like all good thieves you should revel in your ability to do such dastardly deeds.:fish_viking:

I remember [edited] Dastardly & Snidely Whiplash. Both were always up to doing dastardly deeds.

• Haha 1

[WOLF3]
Members
26,992 posts
23,790 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This, I have done over 75k damage in a ship with 1k health. Now in my case they were trying hard to put me out of their misery but I was doing some epic "Just Dodging" but the point that there is no kill stealing just kill securing still applies.

The worst is letting some Unicum player get away, they'll come back and haunt the team bad later.

On the flip side, I remember one of my Conqueror games.  I made a bad mistake and I got focused hard by the red team.  I was almost dead but I was able to put enough distance between us, pop DCP to stop the fires, and go back to stealth.  Once I was left undetected, I popped Repair Party and "printed a new hull!"  After getting a huge part of my HP back, I returned to the fight from the flank and started hammering away again with 419mm x12 gun salvos.

tenor.gif?itemid=14185417

I'm not a Unicum player and can make people pay for not putting me down.  So imagine if some elite player gets to come back and be a big PITA later on.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I'm not a Unicum player and can make people pay for not putting me down.  So imagine if some elite player gets to come back and be a big PITA later on.

giphy.gif

• Meh 1

Members
1,092 posts
7 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I remember [edited] Dastardly & Snidely Whiplash. Both were always up to doing dastardly deeds.

This made me laff, The short version of Richard gets an autocorrect for profanity.

What would [edited] Chaney say?

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,459 battles
21 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Finally he said "nvm, it's a bot."
I hit the tab key. Sure enough the Kremlin driver was a :bot:

Like when I wish everyone luck and then I realize that they are all bots. I think I accidentally complimented a bot or two in my day. Those colons : are pretty small in my defense though.

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,265 posts
25,099 battles

If I’m sitting and pounding away, and have several kills, maybe I’ll let someone else get the credit...

...but if I’m watching, and shots miss, and torp salvoes miss; you had your chance. All bets are now off, I’m taking the shot.

2 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Kill stealing only really comes up when Kill Directives are a thing. In some ways I understand the frustration behind it, but then again just go to coop if you are concerned about kills. In randoms I want ships dead by any means. I see far too many ships escaping on low HP only to return and help turn the tide against us.

This.

THIS.

Did I mention THIS.

In Randoms you KILL with extreme prejudice, and that’s end of it.

There is no Kill Stealing; only Kill Securing and winning.

I’ve seen too many destroyers escape and cause trouble later; or nearly dead battleships of any stripe escape and come back from the dead.

To misquote The Baron; ‘You see the enemy before you, and destroy them. Anything else is rubbish.’

Things can perhaps be more genteel in Co-op or Scenarios; but in Randoms? No bloody way.

My potatoeness is such that I can’t afford to give the enemy a break. If I see a crippled ship and can get a firing solution, I’m shooting. If someone else is also doing so? GREAT. Double the chance to secure the kill.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,914 posts
8,185 battles
52 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

It's the other guy's fault for trying to kill a ship that you lit on fire lol.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,225 battles
52 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The worst is letting some Unicum player get away, they'll come back and haunt the team bad later.

On the flip side, I remember one of my Conqueror games.  I made a bad mistake and I got focused hard by the red team.  I was almost dead but I was able to put enough distance between us, pop DCP to stop the fires, and go back to stealth.  Once I was left undetected, I popped Repair Party and "printed a new hull!"  After getting a huge part of my HP back, I returned to the fight from the flank and started hammering away again with 419mm x12 gun salvos.

tenor.gif?itemid=14185417

Sums up why Nelson is a favorite of mine. Ohh, sure. Don't finish my off. That won't bite you in the rear. Not at all...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

I've launched full BB salvos at ships with less than a thousand HP. I'd much rather waste a salvo then let him get away. Because we all know that the guy who complains about kill stealing is just a likely to ignore a low HP ship for some other juicier target. If people don't want to see kill stealing, don't leave low HP ships get away, because you will probably regret it later.

I do exactly that, I want that ship gone and it is getting everything that bears.

1 hour ago, Usedcarjock said:

Even then it isn't kill stealing but it is frustrating. With missions like that it is best to just play and the kills will rack up over time.

Members
127 posts
5,919 battles

The other day I was soloing a full health W.Virginia with my Nurnberg.I burned her down well almost until there's 1 hp left and of course someone took the last shot and killed the W.Viginia.I gave that player a "well done" as a compliment.I think if you only did few damages into enemy's ship and got the kill,you'll not gonna get rewarded as much as the player who did more damages....just my opinion

[WOLFG]
Members
9,559 posts
8,505 battles

I fear I may have lost some karma today for being a little too efficient in my killing today.  Dev struck something while on MBRLB on the Jean Bart.  Tracked the guns to the next ship and took about 3K off for the kill.  

I guess I'll have to live with the guilt.

• Haha 1

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,427 battles
2 hours ago, HamAndCheez said:

This is a team game. If your team wins, you win. There's no such thing as kill stealing. :cap_hmm:

Sometimes I kill steal. Sometimes my kill is stolen, hopefully it works out.

That is in general. But now with the dockyard directives requiring kills, people may want the kills a little more than normal. 

I was getting very frustrated trying to get citadels or fires in the Dunkerque yesterday. But after doing it once I will not do it again. WG be d@/ed.

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,427 battles
28 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Even then it isn't kill stealing but it is frustrating. With missions like that it is best to just play and the kills will rack up over time.

The problem is players may not have time. The dockyard event is over in 18 days. Some may want to complete it but don't have time to play that much, depending on how good they are.

But that is a question for the player to decide if it is doable or not for them.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,197 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I see "Nice kill steal" in chat.

You should have said "Thank you, all that practice finally paid off!"

Members
3,378 posts
6,787 battles

I have made some observations on this here KILL STEAL thing...you get a bunch of team mates pounding the heck out of some enemy ship but some ships seem to not be shooting as much and its not because of their reload speed either...they are waiting for when the enemy ship approaches a min HP number in which they can shoot and get that KILL SHOT.   I have seen it many times by just not shooting but observing this behavior or tactic so to speak.   Hey whatever floats their boat...its nice to get the shot but as many here have said..its about the damages and for the elimination of the enemy ship. 

• Cool 1