Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Alspecto

Game is unplayable

22 comments in this topic

[SWACC]
Members
12 posts
1,041 battles

At this point, my frustration is such that I just want a refund for what I've spent, but I'm sure I won't get it so here goes...

The game is unplayable for me due to enemy ships constantly blinking in and out of the world. I can't play a match and succeed at anything due to enemy ships magically blinking out, and therefore evading target lock, when my guns are reloaded and ready to shoot. They magically reappear after I start trying to find another target or I fire a salvo in the direction of my best guess and of course miss. They have no problem shelling the ever living $#%%^ out of me though.

Anyone have any ideas?

[WORX]
Members
10,682 posts
18,567 battles
4 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

At this point, my frustration is such that I just want a refund for what I've spent, but I'm sure I won't get it so here goes...

The game is unplayable for me due to enemy ships constantly blinking in and out of the world. I can't play a match and succeed at anything due to enemy ships magically blinking out, and therefore evading target lock, when my guns are reloaded and ready to shoot. They magically reappear after I start trying to find another target or I fire a salvo in the direction of my best guess and of course miss. They have no problem shelling the ever living $#%%^ out of me though.

Anyone have any ideas?

OP This site will help you...

https://www.youtube.com/c/WorldofWarshipsOfficialChannel/playlists

Check out the "how it works" play list...

If you feel after you been educated, you can;t handle the game as is... Then I wish you well in your next game of choice.

Members
558 posts
5,048 battles
8 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

Anyone have any ideas?

Your ship has a concealment distance. If there are no ships or planes within your concealment distance you cannot be seen.

it works the same way for the enemy ships. If there are no ships or planes within their concealment distance, they won’t be seen.

When you fire your guns, you’re visible to everyone within your gun range (is. If your max range is 20km, everyone within 20km can see you). When you fire, you’re visible for 30 seconds and the timer resets each time you fire. If you stop shooting and nobody is within your concealment distance, the enemy team won’t see you. 

People blinking out is them going back into concealment. If they fire or a ship or plane goes within their concealment distance you can see them again. 

Edited by exray0

[RST]
[RST]
Beta Testers
137 posts
8,629 battles
6 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

Anyone have any ideas?

It's called "Spotting Mechanics".  You need to learn detection and concealment values of ships.  Even a 0.1 km can make a difference between seeing a ship and NOT seeing a ship to target.  If you're a BB, you can be seen from MARS while being in a DD, you get to slink around (generally speaking) if you know your concealment value and know when to fire or retreat. Planes and ships have to be close to see and target you.

[HINON]
Members
13,272 posts
13 minutes ago, exray0 said:

When you fire, you’re visible for 30 seconds and the timer resets each time you fire.

Minor correction, gun bloom only lasts 20 seconds.

[SWACC]
Members
12 posts
1,041 battles

I understand the concealment characteristics of the game. This isn't what's happening here.

I am having battleships disappear immediately after firing at me while we are actively brawling from less than 10K away with nothing in between to disrupt line of site.

[WORX]
Members
10,682 posts
18,567 battles
5 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

I understand the concealment characteristics of the game. This isn't what's happening here.

I am having battleships disappear immediately after firing at me while we are actively brawling from less than 10K away with nothing in between to disrupt line of site.

All the ships characteristics are server side... MEANING, no user client version of the game can revise any parameters of any ship...

Again I strongly recommend watching the HOW IT WORKS series... Concealment is one element of the game... Smoke, islands, and line of sight... Adds to the other elements of the game...

If you dont have a snap shoot, or the replay... The community is unable to conclude and therefor explain, whats going on in your particular case.

[SWACC]
Members
12 posts
1,041 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

All the ships characteristics are server side... MEANING, no user client version of the game can revise any parameters of any ship...

Again I strongly recommend watching the HOW IT WORKS series... Concealment is one element of the game... Smoke, islands, and line of sight... Adds to the other elements of the game...

If you dont have a snap shoot, or the replay... The community is unable to conclude and therefor explain, whats going on in your particular case.

That's fine - just ignore what I've said and assume I'm uninformed at best or stupid, I really don't care. Again, I've already watched it, but just continue to ignore that.

I'll admit my ignorance when you can tell me how a sub 10K brawl between battleships with clear LoS and consistent fire in open water can be chalked up to me not understanding the concealment characteristics of the game.

Members
3,759 posts
23,311 battles
2 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

That's fine - just ignore what I've said and assume I'm uninformed at best or stupid, I really don't care. Again, I've already watched it, but just continue to ignore that.

I'll admit my ignorance when you can tell me how a sub 10K brawl between battleships with clear LoS and consistent fire in open water can be chalked up to me not understanding the concealment characteristics of the game.

Ignore him, can you provide one of the replay files from a recent game where this happened? There is a folder in the game files where the last 30 replays are kept.

[WOLF7]
Members
225 posts
47 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

Anyone have any ideas?

You could be experiencing lag perhaps? Make sure your internet connection is stable and also try to lower your graphics settings. What you are describing could be stuttering and frame drops. What's your PC hardware specs?

[WORX]
Members
10,682 posts
18,567 battles
2 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

Post the replay and we have a lot of people (due to the world situation), who can assist....

If you can't provide the required evidence, its considered "crying wolf" which is an infraction in the forums...

• Boring 1

[SWACC]
Members
12 posts
1,041 battles

My PC is dated so I just turned the graphics to medium from high. Here's the specs:

i7-2600K @ 3.4Ghz

Nvidia GTX 970

16GB Ram

SSD

I have pretty good reliability on the internet side, but I'll run some tests to see what my ping and traceroute are to the game servers.

For giggles, even though it's a brand new install, I did a verify of the game files in Steam which found no errors.

I wasn't aware of replay files - I thought everyone meant me recording the battles, which I don't do. I'll try to figure out which of the replay files is the last really bad instance of ships blinking out.

[WOLF7]
Members
225 posts
3 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

My PC is dated so I just turned the graphics to medium from high. Here's the specs:

i7-2600K @ 3.4Ghz

Nvidia GTX 970

16GB Ram

SSD

I have pretty good reliability on the internet side, but I'll run some tests to see what my ping and traceroute are to the game servers.

For giggles, even though it's a brand new install, I did a verify of the game files in Steam which found no errors.

I wasn't aware of replay files - I thought everyone meant me recording the battles, which I don't do. I'll try to figure out which of the replay files is the last really bad instance of ships blinking out.

Your hardware looks good. It's very similar to my own rig and I don't have any troubles on mix of high/medium settings. I don't use any of the presets. Go ahead and check your net connection and go from there. Good luck, hope you get everything running properly.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,127 posts
4,088 battles
54 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

You have 113 battles, if it's down to broken game or you not knowing what's going on I'm gonna bet you don't know as much as you think you do.

52 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Ignore him, can you provide one of the replay files from a recent game where this happened? There is a folder in the game files where the last 30 replays are kept.

This. Post the replay, we can take a look and see what happened and figure it out. We see a lot of "THE GAME IS BROKEN BECAUSE THE IMPOSSIBLE HAPPENED" posts. Every single one we ask for a replay. 99% they never post it. If you really want help, post the replay. If you just want to rant, then expect some nasty responses.

24 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

i7-2600K @ 3.4Ghz

Nvidia GTX 970

16GB Ram

SSD

You're PC is fine, shouldn't be an issue. And unless you're living in northern Alaska your internet shouldn't have that amount of lag.

The replay files are in the WOWS/Replays folder. Identified by ship, map, and time. Post and we will look. A lot of great people here who can help if you ask. But you have to ask. The poster sets the tone of thread, go around attacking people and you'll get flamed. Ask in a civilized manner and you'll get a lot of good advice.

[SLDS]
Members
61 posts
6,495 battles

FYI you can set the game to actually have your ping and FPS in the top left corner. That should tell you live as you play if it’s your internet.

[WW2]
Members
354 posts
6,885 battles

Also try playing cruisers. Everyone starts with bb because BB go boom. However the quicker reload on cruisers may give you more satisfaction. It will help you get better by not being a floating pinata also.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,375 posts
23,987 battles

@Alspecto Here is a link to show you how to access your replays (it also has detailed instructions on moving your POV and other miscellaneous items that could help identify the issue.)

Edited by HamptonRoads

[SWACC]
Members
12 posts
1,041 battles

I've attached the file I believe corresponds to the match in question. Having watched it a couple of times, it's clear that my situational awareness was way off and I must have just lost my wits as the battleship and cruisers seemed to be disappearing more than they did in the replay. The closest battleship was about 10.5K and I thought it was at 8K during the battle. I also did not remember the tall island that I was able to peek over when zooming as that would have clearly affected LoS.

Adjusting my graphics settings down seems to have helped with the gameplay as things seem to run much more smoothly. I'm going to give it some time on the lower settings and see if things continue to improve. Thank you for the suggestions and hints!

20200715_180924_PASB729-Georgia_50_Gold_harbor.wowsreplay

• Thanks 1

[WORX]
Members
10,682 posts
18,567 battles

As I suspected, LOS issue...

Ok boys mystery solved... Will convene again when the other "disappearing" ship pops up...

GL OP... It happens to all of us.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,127 posts
4,088 battles
52 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

I've attached the file I believe corresponds to the match in question. Having watched it a couple of times, it's clear that my situational awareness was way off and I must have just lost my wits as the battleship and cruisers seemed to be disappearing more than they did in the replay. The closest battleship was about 10.5K and I thought it was at 8K during the battle. I also did not remember the tall island that I was able to peek over when zooming as that would have clearly affected LoS.

Adjusting my graphics settings down seems to have helped with the gameplay as things seem to run much more smoothly. I'm going to give it some time on the lower settings and see if things continue to improve. Thank you for the suggestions and hints!

20200715_180924_PASB729-Georgia_50_Gold_harbor.wowsreplay

Oh dear god...

First off, good to see you recognized the issue after watching the replay. I almost didn't watch it, but then I noticed you were playing a Georgia with 100 games. Oh boy am I glad I did.

You need some help. I'm going to try and give you some advice, it may sound harsh, but I'm trying to help you improve.

First, you have zero business in a Georgia right now. With 100 games you're barely out of protected matchmaking for new players. A T9 against T10 you have no clue how to play, and it's painfully obvious in the replay.

So a HUGE part of your situational awareness problem is your zoom level. You spend the entire game zoomed in to just behind the gun turrets. There's a reason you can zoom out to a third person view, it gives you a much, much better view of the battle. You should only be zoomed in on target while you lead and fire, then zoom back out again and check your surroundings. Oh, and use shift to zoom, way faster than scroll. Zoomed out, you just have much better awareness. Also, dodging torps is impossible the way you drive. Personal preference is one thing, but you're really handicapping yourself driving like that.

Second, just because you CAN shoot to 20km doesn't mean you should. You barely moved forward, sniped at long range ineffectively, and once the flank was lost and the enemy moving into the cap you hit engine boost and YOLO'd in, giving broadside to all their ships behind islands. You only lost half your HP before you realized you needed to turn, and then you spent the rest of the game running. With the exception of the Terrible, I don't think anyone ever got within 15km of you. You were never a factor for the enemy team. BBs are fundamentally a presence. Your guns put the fear of god into enemy cruisers so you need to position yourself to deny prime positioning to them. Get up behind a cap and just nuke anything that shows up. You're prime engagement range for most BBs is less than 15km. As you noticed, you were completely ineffective at 20km. There's a lot more position advice I can give, but I think you need to get a few more games under your belt before we go there.

The biggest thing is practice. You need to get a sense of what works and what doesn't. Learn the more nuanced mechanics. For example, I'm going to hazard a guess you're unaware that the GA's 457 mm guns can overmatch most cruiser armor, meaning they can't angle effectively against you. You learn that kind of thing slowly. That's why you should play low tier. Low tier ships may be slow and unglorious, but they teach you critical lessons. Dock you GA, don't touch it until you've ground up to T8 or so. It's a fantastic ship, borderline OP. But that's no use to you if you have no idea how to use its strengths. 

Ichase is one of WG's CCs and has a great video series for new players. There's a lot of good info, but I think Ichase is the best at explaining game mechanics and strategy. I watch them myself to refresh on the basics. 

You can pick the vids that most apply to you.

Second, pick a couple of lines and just start grinding up. It's still fun usually, and you'll learn alot. If you have problems, look it up. Youtube is a great resource. In addition to Ichase, Flamu is also pretty good, though a bit more intense. The world of warships wiki https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships has all the info. If you need a stat, the wiki has it. If you have the need for a premium ship, pick up a low tier one (T6 or T5). 

The biggest thing that helped me was watching my replays. Take that mindset that when you die, it's because you messed up. So figure out what you did wrong so you don't do it again. Go back and watch the replay, so often you'll see a glaring mistake. Even now once I die I think back to what move I made that killed me. Once you have the mindset that you're the one messing up, and you want to figure out why you can really start improving. Watching the CCs stream (if you can) is also very useful, you'll pick up a lot. And there's the forums, if you ask we can definitely help you out. If you want to get better, it's possible. You have to make some effort, it won't happen overnight, but you can absolutely improve. Remember, you're new so it's not surprising that you're not that great. Don't get discouraged, you'll get better just by playing.

Hope this helps you:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,267 posts

So... you spent money before finding this stuff out first?

We deal with it, at least, I do...

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
6 hours ago, Alspecto said:

Anyone have any ideas?

Your graphics settings are probably too high.  Try setting your LOD setting down a notch.  That's frequently the problem.

Sign in to follow this