You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Daniel_Allan_Clark

Bottom Tier Lexington vs Halland AND Worcester

17 comments in this topic

[TARK]
Members
5,616 posts
2,260 battles

Bet you think this is about how the AA massacred my planes...

...but you would be wrong.

I struck Worcester first...and later in the match dove through BOTH Worcester AND Halland AA again to hit the Worcester...

Someone tell me what I am doing wrong...tier 10 AA is supposed to be impossible!

20200715_172307_PASA108-Lexington_47_Sleeping_Giant.wowsreplay

• Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,434 posts
18,538 battles

A tier 8 CV can defeat the AA of two tier 10 ships reputed to have monster AA; why would anyone say that AA was broken and inefficient across the boards?

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,624 posts

WEellllllll.... there could be any number of reasons how/why... Quality of red player is probably the most important factor. How good a player were they? How much health did they have - were they full-strength when you attacked? Were you the only one beating them down and sinking them? 

Finally I suppose you'd need to factor in what modules/flags they may have been using. 

When you do it in a Kaga, be sure to post the video to YouTube. I'd be interested in seeing it happen. 

[SEALZ]
Members
840 posts
7,921 battles

Hmm yeah I would harshly judge the ability of the Halland player especially. You can dodge flak all you want but the raw AA dpm will melt your planes if the player is aware of what they’re doing. Also, Lexington is arguably the easiest Tier VIII cv to handle Tier X ships so not exactly blowing me away there either. Try doing that with a Graf Zeppelin for example.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,721 posts
20,895 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I struck Worcester first...and later in the match dove through BOTH Worcester AND Halland AA again to hit the Worcester...

Someone tell me what I am doing wrong...tier 10 AA is supposed to be impossible!

Other than the chip damage of continuous AA, it's basically ineffective against the CV players who can reliably dodge flak. So you did that, I suppose. It has finite dimensions and predictable location, even when it comes from multiple ships at the same time. 

AA in its present form is basically for the crew's morale. 

[TARK]
Members
5,616 posts
2,260 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

WEellllllll.... there could be any number of reasons how/why... Quality of red player is probably the most important factor. How good a player were they? How much health did they have - were they full-strength when you attacked? Were you the only one beating them down and sinking them? 

Finally I suppose you'd need to factor in what modules/flags they may have been using. 

When you do it in a Kaga, be sure to post the video to YouTube. I'd be interested in seeing it happen. 

Worcester was the first ship I attacked, he was at full health.

Halland was trying a flak trap or just not to be spotted. I think he just opened up late and failed to protect the Worcester at all during the later attack.

Watch the replay and judge for yourself. Its not a long battle.

58 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Hmm yeah I would harshly judge the ability of the Halland player especially. You can dodge flak all you want but the raw AA dpm will melt your planes if the player is aware of what they’re doing. Also, Lexington is arguably the easiest Tier VIII cv to handle Tier X ships so not exactly blowing me away there either. Try doing that with a Graf Zeppelin for example.

Halland raw DPM might get a few planes...but its the flak that slaughters.

True on the tanky planes.

I dont have Graf Zeppelin...and I am waiting until Ive ground Furious to get Shokaku...I want to have at least 1 tier 6 CV for operations.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark

[O7]
Members
952 posts
3,815 battles

I can see how Worcester's AA is not doing a number, AA has been a joke ever since the rework.

Halland tho, its perhaps the only exception, it should be able to shred the planes of a T8 CV, probably because he had his AA off or they were destroyed by a Thunderer HE shell.

[R-F2]
Members
636 posts
9,543 battles
3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

WEellllllll.... there could be any number of reasons how/why... Quality of red player is probably the most important factor.  

3 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

Hmm yeah I would harshly judge the ability of the Halland player especially.

The skill level of the player is basically irrelevant. AA damage does not depend on player ability, except that good players are less likely to have an AA build which buffs your dps by about a third. The only player interaction involved in AA is setting priority sector on the side the planes are on, and a monkey can do that.

Edited by WernerHerzdog

[SBS]
Members
5,378 posts
2 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Halland tho, its perhaps the only exception, it should be able to shred the planes of a T8 CV, probably because he had his AA off or they were destroyed by a Thunderer HE shell.

The Halland has less DPM than the Wooster so I can't see why it would shred planes and Wooster wouldn't.

[TARK]
Members
5,616 posts
2,260 battles

The thing with Halland is that it can surprise you and hit you with flak when you are distracted.

Worcester cant because of its easier spotting range.

[SYJ]
Members
370 posts
13,594 battles

DDs have 100% accuracy on their AA DPS
Cruisers are 90%~85% max accuracy depending on aura/ range (long and mid are 90% , short is 85%)

So Halland has about the same "effective" AA DPS as "most" AA CLs, but in order for a CV to line up a strike they have to turn around in Hallands AA. Thus spending more time in mid and long range auras. That is not counting things like sector reinforcement and Def AA bonus to DPS  and Flak.  

[SBS]
Members
5,378 posts
33 minutes ago, Sammy_Small said:

DDs have 100% accuracy on their AA DPS
Cruisers are 90%~85% max accuracy depending on aura/ range (long and mid are 90% , short is 85%)

So Halland has about the same "effective" AA DPS as "most" AA CLs, but in order for a CV to line up a strike they have to turn around in Hallands AA. Thus spending more time in mid and long range auras. That is not counting things like sector reinforcement and Def AA bonus to DPS  and Flak. 

Here are the DPS values for the Wooster and Halland, these numbers take hit rate into account.  Maxed out AA for both ships (AA build, AA signal, DFAA/sector active, and the DPS for all three auras combined). 

Wooster: 1543

Halland: 1146

Halland maxed out (with DFAA/sector active) is about the same as the Mino's AA.  Halland without DFAA running and it falls way behind Mino.  So Halland is better than some cruisers, but not the actual AA cruisers. 

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,385 posts

You all do not realize that WG doesn't scale AA by tier. A T10 AA mount does the exact same damage a T6 AA mount.

[KIA-A]
Members
119 posts
8,538 battles
13 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

It's not supposed to be.  WG has determined you NEED to be able to get one strike off so that you continue "having fun."

AA doesn't work.  That's all.  The good old days of "no fly zones" are gone.

[TARK]
Members
5,616 posts
2,260 battles
3 minutes ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

It's not supposed to be.  WG has determined you NEED to be able to get one strike off so that you continue "having fun."

AA doesn't work.  That's all.  The good old days of "no fly zones" are gone.

I know...this is the point.

As a bottom tier CV, I am told I am 'helpless' against tier 10 AA monsters...

In practice, I find this not to be true.

The only true air defense is dynamic fighters.

[KIA-A]
Members
119 posts
8,538 battles
25 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I know...this is the point.

As a bottom tier CV, I am told I am 'helpless' against tier 10 AA monsters...

In practice, I find this not to be true.

The only true air defense is dynamic fighters.

The only true defense is dodge them in the queue.