You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
black_hull4

Ramming exe. has encountered a fatal error

11 comments in this topic

Members
250 posts
519 battles

So at this point I've noticed a few exceptions to the antimattter mechanic ships have when ramming. A 1/5 hp BB can and will take out a 3/4 hp BB by ramming in the normal setting. You can ram smaller ships with minimal damage, and cause flooding if combined impact speed is fast enough. Hotel Yankee increases the damage done to another ship while decreasing damage done to yours. Ramming a friendly ship will result in deduction of battle rewards but the damage done is unrealistically low. But then there's this:

• In Co-Op I use the Erie for grinding and fit it with Papa Papa + Hotel Yankee. I rammed a Chengan with my Erie, but instead of getting half my hp blown off & sinking the Chengan, the Chengan listed to one side & we did tics of damage to each other, like increased versions of friendly ramming. I won out.
  • I saw this happen to another AI Chengan. I assume that player was also flying Hotel Yankee.
  • I also did the same thing to an Orlan but we killed each other.
  • In Co-Op the bot destroyers tend to ram each other unnecessarily. One DD player grew wise to this and mounted Hotel Yankee. The DD he rammed turned out to be his Counterpart so they sort of slid by each other and took off 3/4 hp. Our player survived until the middle of the match, the bot survived for about 10 seconds. The only reason I saw this was because I had HE dive bombers en route soo...yeah.
  • Playing as the Hosho a BB got stuck on my signal vane and reduced our HP all the way. Apparently pieces of the ship-no matter how small or what forces are at play-will not break off.
  • The most surprising and confusing ram incident came here: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/220549-i-didnt-even-know-you-could-do-this/
Edited by black_hull4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,656 posts
13,997 battles

A ships tonnage which equals momentum doesn't decrease which is what really deals the damage. Our ramming mechanics are actually pretty much historically accurate in green on red rams, green on green damage is drastically reduced because of the constricted spaces we fight in. Yes not every ship sinks when rammed but they are all effectively out of the battle.

• Boring 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,517 posts
4,934 battles
On 7/15/2020 at 1:22 PM, black_hull4 said:

A 1/5 hp BB can and will take out a 3/4 hp BB by ramming in the normal setting.

Why do you think this should not be?  A Yamato with 5hp left is still 72,000 tons of steel moving at up to 27 knots or so.  If that hits your Kremlin the fact that the Yamato looks like swiss cheese it has so many holes shot in it is completely irrelevant.

[WORX]
Members
9,823 posts
17,770 battles
On 7/15/2020 at 11:22 AM, black_hull4 said:

So at this point I've noticed a few exceptions to the antimattter mechanic ships have when ramming. A 1/5 hp BB can and will take out a 3/4 hp BB by ramming in the normal setting. You can ram smaller ships with minimal damage, and cause flooding if combined impact speed is fast enough. Hotel Yankee increases the damage done to another ship while decreasing damage done to yours. Ramming a friendly ship will result in deduction of battle rewards but the damage done is unrealistically low. But then there's this:

Did you factor in speed to those calculations ???

The ramming mechanic is also takes into consideration, how fast the ships are going... Yet I dont see what speed was tested in none of your result variables.

Members
250 posts
519 battles
4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Yet I dont see what speed was tested in none of your result variables.

These were all in Random or Co-Op, so I wasn't really testing so much as I was trying to win. We were all going at different speeds as I had to turn and speed up/slow down to hit ships that really didn't want to get rammed.

Members
250 posts
519 battles
4 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Why do you think this should not be?  A Yamato with 5hp left is still 72,000 tons of steel moving at up to 27 knots or so.  If that hits your Kremlin the fact that the Yamato looks like swiss cheese it has so many holes shot in it is completely irrelevant.

No, you misunderstand, I was just doing an overview of ramming mechanics in that part.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,517 posts
4,934 battles
Just now, black_hull4 said:

No, you misunderstand, I was just doing an overview of ramming mechanics in that part.

Ah.  I have seen a fair number of complaints about that aspect of the mechanic posted over the years by people who don't seem to understand that an almost sunk ship still has all of its mass.

Members
250 posts
519 battles
4 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Um...no idea how to explain what I just saw happen...

Wait...your Harugumo has black gun turrets...Black Blade.... :Smile_sceptic: :Smile_amazed:

Members
250 posts
519 battles
4 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

an almost sunk ship still has all of its mass.

If it has a lot of shell/bomb/rocket material and flooding, it could easily have more mass than battle-ready condition(in real life).

Another game I play called Silent Hunter 4 has much more realistic ramming mechanics, but I don't disagree with you.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,517 posts
4,934 battles
Just now, black_hull4 said:

If it has a lot of shell/bomb/rocket material and flooding, it could easily have more mass than battle-ready condition(in real life).

Another game I play called Silent Hunter 4 has much more realistic ramming mechanics, but I don't disagree with you.

Oh, I agree that the ramming mechanics are pure arcade in simplicity, but that particular issue is not one of its weak points.