You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ocoda

Multiple Games No DD's

177 comments in this topic

[PLDN]
Members
270 posts

For the past few weeks i keep getting games with No DD's, so much in fact I started asking a lot of DD players, which I know prefer them and I get the same answer  "CV's just don't make it worth it anymore to play them."

So took out several of my DD's this morning and was destroyed not 1 time, not 3 times, but 4 out of 7 games in which I was destroyed by CV's. 2 games I had no CV's and 1 I had my Halland and the CV knew to stay away. I've watched Nozoups video a few months ago and did not really agree with his view till today. I see we have a discord channel no CV's in Clan battles with a majority of top tier clans in support of this but I wonder if WoWS is noticing the decline of DD play or is there anyway to see this for ourselves. I literally just had 2 back to back games with no DD's before doing the 7 DD battles in a row this morning

• Cool 10
  • Thanks 7
  • Boring 7
  • Meh 1

Members
26 posts
199 battles

Understand completely. All I play is destroyers. I haven't played Randoms in ages so I can't confirm your story, but it wouldn't surprise me. I just Co-op only now. Because CV's.

• Cool 12
  • Boring 2

[KWF]
Members
4,372 posts
6,405 battles

Keep in mind that there are also the Dockyard missions ongoing, so quite a few people may be finding it easier to complete missions in other classes.

To be honest it's not just a CV issue. High tiers are filled to the brim with counterplay options, ships with insane DPM and burst damage and rampant powercreep. 

I guess I am a masochist but I can still find some fun in my DD battles, albeit there are moments of pure frustration.

• Cool 3

Members
559 posts

1 minute ago, DesRon_29 said:

I haven't played Randoms in ages so I can't confirm your story, but it wouldn't surprise me. I just Co-op only now. Because CV's.

Same with me.    CO-OP and Scenarios only.. 

• Cool 6

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
17 minutes ago, Ocoda said:

For the past few weeks i keep getting games with No DD's, so much in fact I started asking a lot of DD players, which I know prefer them and I get the same answer  "CV's just don't make it worth it anymore to play them."

So took out several of my DD's this morning and was destroyed not 1 time, not 3 times, but 4 out of 7 games in which I was destroyed by CV's. 2 games I had no CV's and 1 I had my Halland and the CV knew to stay away. I've watched Nozoups video a few months ago and did not really agree with his view till today. I see we have a discord channel no CV's in Clan battles with a majority of top tier clans in support of this but I wonder if WoWS is noticing the decline of DD play or is there anyway to see this for ourselves. I literally just had 2 back to back games with no DD's before doing the 7 DD battles in a row this morning

Not exclusively the CVs, but also how much 12km Radar there is now as well as the CVs that makes at least most DDs unplayable and even some Cruisers are now struggling with the current meta. ( The Cruisers that rely on stealth or smoke can really suffer now.)

• Cool 2

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

Join the Discord server to support the CB boycott. The end goal is to have WG make changes to the CVs that will provide better balance and a measure of counter play.

DDs are becoming rare birds nowadays. I have about 63% of my games in DD, and lately I've been playing cruisers far more frequently.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,003 posts
4,598 battles
19 minutes ago, Ocoda said:

Can you survive in a CV world as a DD? Yea

Can you do well in a CV world as a DD? Yes

Is it fun to play a DD in a CV world? No 

If you come from the days of on the razors edge CQC with multiple DD's around a cap  that gets your blood pumping, the current state of gameplay for Destroyers will strike you as boring and unimaginative. 

• Cool 18

[D33P6]
Members
563 posts

I've had games with no DD's, one DD, two, three or four DD's.  I even have had a couple of matches that had five DD's.

I don't think the amount of people playing DD's has declined at all.  It all depends on who is in queue at that time and what MM decides to create.

On the subject of being destroyed by CV's while in a DD.  You would need to provide more context.  It could easily be that 99% damage was suffered by ships who spotted with radar or another DD and just happened to get the CV got the killing blow.

I just had a game not 10 minutes ago where a Jarvis charged into cap with AA on, didn't bother to smoke up until after I got 2 complete runs on him with rocket planes.  I wasn't even the one who finished him off.  Poor play doesn't necessarily mean a ship is OP and I'm not talking about CV's directly, any ship in general.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Not exclusively the CVs, but also how much 12km Radar there is now as well as the CVs that makes at least most DDs unplayable and even some Cruisers are now struggling with the current meta. ( The Cruisers that rely on stealth or smoke can really suffer now.)

Radar is an obstacle, for sure, but we all have the tools to overcome it. Planes, though...no counter to the way they completely corrupt the spotting mechanics around which the entire game is molded.

• Cool 1

[D33P6]
Members
563 posts
2 minutes ago, legozer said:

The end goal is to have WG make changes to the CVs that will provide better balance and a measure of counter play.

Is this boycott seriously still needed?

The recent announcement of changes WG plans to implement for CV's and the interaction for DD's still isn't enough?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 2

Members
559 posts
1 minute ago, legozer said:

The end goal is to have WG make changes to the CVs that will provide better balance and a measure of counter play. 

We've been going around in circles since 0.8.   If it was possible it would have been solved by now.   Whats it going to take to get people to finally face the reality that there is no balancing airplanes versus ships? 

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[USCG]
Members
576 posts
19,956 battles

Agree, CVs are a pain but another group of radar cruisers that can cover half the chart with their radar is another reason playing DD is getting more shall we say, “ Challenging.”

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

Radar is an obstacle, for sure, but we all have the tools to overcome it. Planes, though...no counter to the way they completely corrupt the spotting mechanics around which the entire game is molded.

True you can work around normal 10km or less ranged Radar. But add 2 or more RU Radar CAs with 12km Radar and Radar module with the CVs and it gets impossible. I know because I have faced a few such battles in DDs and cruisers and nether choice was pleasant.

Only my BBs are still relatively reliable now.

• Cool 2

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts
27 minutes ago, Ocoda said:

In most cases CVs just spot... It is not CV always killing.

There are matchs with 3, 4 and even 5 sometimes.

I got some matchs today with 1, no and several with 3 to 4.

• Boring 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
3 minutes ago, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

We've been going around in circles since 0.8.   If it was possible it would have been solved by now.   Whats it going to take to get people to finally face the reality that there is no balancing airplanes versus ships? 

There has not yet been any legit effort to solve the spotting and counterplay issues. Lip service here and there.

CV will not be removed from the game. That is an absolute fact; the realist must face the fact and lobby for meaningful changes.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 minute ago, Felipe_1982 said:

In most cases CVs just spot... It is not CV always killing.

There are matchs with 3, 4 and even 5 sometimes.

I got some matchs today with 1, no and several with 3 to 4.

Spotting is often bad enough for a DD as they can then come under intense enemy fire. Something about the idea of small stealthy ships that pack often hundreds of thousands of damage worth in torpedoes makes people nervous and eager to sink DDs.

So finding and keeping a DD spotted takes away a DD’s main defense which is stealth.

[KWF]
Members
4,372 posts
6,405 battles
3 minutes ago, HeadSplit120 said:

The recent announcement of changes WG plans to implement for CV's and the interaction for DD's still isn't enough?

The issue as I understand it CB wise, is that spotting is a big issue. A CV player can do 0 damage, but keeping the red team constantly spotted through smart use of fighters and his squads can be invaluable. Ships that need stealth to get into position are denied that option, leading to most clans fielding the same boring lineups.

Members
559 posts

CV will not be removed from the game

Don't need to remove them from the game.   Simply keep them to CO-OP, Scenarios, and Training modes only.   Possibly develop a new asymmetric mode centered around CV in the future.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts
10 minutes ago, HeadSplit120 said:

I've had games with no DD's, one DD, two, three or four DD's.  I even have had a couple of matches that had five DD's.

I don't think the amount of people playing DD's has declined at all.  It all depends on who is in queue at that time and what MM decides to create.

On the subject of being destroyed by CV's while in a DD.  You would need to provide more context.  It could easily be that 99% damage was suffered by ships who spotted with radar or another DD and just happened to get the CV got the killing blow.

I just had a game not 10 minutes ago where a Jarvis charged into cap with AA on, didn't bother to smoke up until after I got 2 complete runs on him with rocket planes.  I wasn't even the one who finished him off.  Poor play doesn't necessarily mean a ship is OP and I'm not talking about CV's directly, any ship in general.

Sometimes it isnt the CV, but they call it is, because it is easier to complain against a class with a spot on it.

• Confused 3
  • Meh 2

[GOB]
Members
2,056 posts

I play DDs everyday along with the rest of my line..

I will say at T-10 ( where I spend most of my time )  it's agony BUT the WORST part are the tools screaming in chat while hiding calling all sorts of names because DDs without smoke won't cap in the first 3 minutes while radars and CVs are hunting you.. meanwhile they hide and won't even fire at anything until you torp it.

Those and the ones who quit if the map doesn't look perfect for them ( usually meaning they can hide and shoot from cover as everyone else spots )  saying in the first 2 minutes " This game is already lost!" Then the spend the rest of the game swearing in chat.

I really don't know why some people even get out of bed in the morning.

It's gotten so toxic I am seriously thinking about shutting off chat again...

• Cool 6

Members
707 posts
5,735 battles

I also have been seeing more games with no DDs lately; but I see even more with 4 per side.  So while I would say it is definitely unusual in my experience to see DD-less games, I'm not sure that equates to fewer DDs playing the game.  It could be; I don't have access to population numbers, but it could also be due to the vagaries of the MM and who is playing what at any given moment.  That said, I do agree that the current meta is not terribly DD friendly; though if you can succeed as a DD in the current environment you will be well suited if and when the meta shifts next.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Spotting is often bad enough for a DD as they can then come under intense enemy fire. Something about the idea of small stealthy ships that pack often hundreds of thousands of damage worth in torpedoes makes people nervous and eager to sink DDs.

So finding and keeping a DD spotted takes away a DD’s main defense which is stealth.

There are smokes.

today i almost got killed by a ST with Paolo Emilio, it was a close encounter.

there are some DD with high speed i sometimes miss several rockets attack. 

A CV must rely on its concealment too. Cause if someone spot it, you can be killed in 2 salvos.

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
4,558 posts
19 minutes ago, HeadSplit120 said:

Its still not enough.

The spotting does nothing if the CV player gets a Indicator when the DD detects his planes 5-6km away.

Beta Testers
4,558 posts
6 minutes ago, Felipe_1982 said:

There are smokes.

today i almost got killed by a ST with Paolo Emilio, it was a close encounter.

there are some DD with high speed i sometimes miss several rockets attack. 

A CV must rely on its concealment too. Cause if someone spot it, you can be killed in 2 salvos.

come back when you realize how tanky a T10 CV is when your not broadside.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
12 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

he WORST part are the tools screaming in chat while hiding calling all sorts of names because DDs without smoke won't cap in the first 3 minutes while radars and CVs are hunting you

Ignoring that is as vital a skill to the successful DD player as proper use of AA or smoke. Ignoring F7 spam is like, my superpower, man.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1