Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ban_CV_Complainers

Has anyone faced Halland in Parseval?

20 comments in this topic

Members
1,641 posts

Somehow In the 42 games I have In it I have not faced a Halland in the Parseval. That ship gives even the most tanky planes a lot of trouble. It should be near 100% immune to Parseval's extra weak planes. So tin foil hat on maybe WG doesn't want to make the Parseval look bad while in early release?

added exact number of games. 

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[D33P6]
Members
449 posts
5,083 battles

Close but not entirely.

In the end it isn't worth it though.  If you're able to dodge all the flak you'll lose most, if not all, by its short/medium range AA.  The wing that actually completes its attack will get shot down before they become immune on their way back to the CV.

I've lost entire squadrons because of that.  I geuss a flak cloud sometimes spawns right on top of them and get destroyed on their way out while you have no control.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,188 posts
5,947 battles

I haven't unlocked the Parseval, however IMO why would you want to even get close to the Halland in it?   It just doesn't have anything to damage a DD effectively?  Combined with the AA suite on that ship.... Can't see it doing anything more than maybe spotting it for teammates or sinking it if very very low HPs?   Just not going to be a good trade exchange ( planes for damage) with any good AA DD to be made with KM CVs until you just absolutely have to IMO.   

[CLUMP]
Members
544 posts
991 battles

Stay away from Hallands regardless of what CV you are using because it won't end well if you go near one :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[D33P6]
Members
449 posts
5,083 battles
1 minute ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

These are all good advise but curious if anyone ACTUALLY has faced a Halland in that CV? 

No, I haven't been lucky enough to get any of the new CV's.

I wouldn't go near it in any CV including RN CV's.

KM CV's use AP rockets so you shouldn't be going near it at all unless its to spot or reset a cap.

Members
1,641 posts
4 minutes ago, HeadSplit120 said:

No, I haven't been lucky enough to get any of the new CV's.

I wouldn't go near it in any CV including RN CV's.

KM CV's use AP rockets so you shouldn't be going near it at all unless its to spot or reset a cap.

Yeah, i know Im just curious if anyone has actually been matched in a game with one. I have never seen a Halland but as soon as I play Saipan or GZ boom you get a Halland.

• Haha 1

Members
777 posts
5,404 battles

I played maybe two games in my Parseval before I parked it. I did encounter a Halland I’m pretty sure. I didn’t go in on it though and even at its periphery it was doing damage. So even spotting it isn’t easy. The planes you’re using makes a difference obviously but yeah it wasn’t pretty. 

Members
609 posts
16,455 battles
2 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Somehow In the 42 games I have In it I have not faced a Halland in the Parseval. That ship gives even the most tanky planes a lot of trouble. It should be near 100% immune to Parseval's extra weak planes. So tin foil hat on maybe WG doesn't want to make the Parseval look bad while in early release?

Missions got people playing other ships. Hat off son.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
1,635 posts
8,731 battles

I only have about 10 or so games in the Parseval so far but I would guess I've seen the Halland about 3-4 times maybe.

I don't usually focus the DDs in my German CVs though so I don't have to much experience (that I can remember) against it directly. This actually brings up a good tip for playing German CVs.....in DD heavy games, the BBs/Cruisers get complacent because they think you are going to chase DDs all round. I've used this to my advantage fairly effectively in the Parseval. haha

PS - To the Des Moines that called my rocket planes "useless" at the beginning of the game the other day; If you are reading this, how'd that quad rocket cit 1 min into the game taste? :P

[NUWES]
Members
2,991 posts
9,918 battles
2 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

That's definitely a tin foil hat job there. lol. I have faced Halland in Parseval and all I can say is fly through the AA very FAST. Truthfully the German CVs are ok against other ship types but they are absolutely dreadful against DDs. They don't even do a good job of keeping them spotted because that forces you to stay in the AA aura which negates the one thing Parseval's planes have - speed. 

This isn't a complaint. There should be some CVs that suck against DDs and these definitely do. Don't bother with Halland, or any other AA DD. It's really just a waste of time and it will be completely unproductive. You really can't do enough reliable damage to them to be worth the plane losses.The DBs will do nearly zero damage and  the rockets will do a little better because you might get a full pen or 2 on a DD but it isn't worth the time or plane losses unless the DD is low. The torps can work but you really require a bad DD player, you need to catch him by surprise (or sitting in his smoke), or you need to trap him in a cross drop what he can't figure out how to escape (which goes back to the bad DD player). Clumsy DDs like the Soviets or the IJN aren't as difficult to hit, but they are still difficult. 

The AA from Halland isn't as bad as the fact that the German CVs just don't have the tools for DD fighting. The AA just makes it much worse to try. Halland isn't that big a problem say in Midway or Lex. I just need to know where he is and wait until he fires his guns so he stays visible (he has no smoke) then line him up for a strike at a convenient angle. He'll kill some planes but the DBs can blast half health off of a Halland and he can't heal all that back, so the trade-off can be worth it. HVARs don't do quite as much damage but they are easier to use and get in and out with fewer losses. It isn't even slightly worth it on the German CVs. You can't do enough damage to an AA DD to be worth the plane losses. Just stay away from the high tier Pan Europeans, USN DDs running AA outfits, or any other high-tier DD with solid AA (Akizuki and company as well). 

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,460 battles

Does the Halland have like Worcester AA or near?   I know it is very good but how good?

[NUWES]
Members
2,991 posts
9,918 battles
38 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

Does the Halland have like Worcester AA or near?   I know it is very good but how good?

It's not Worcester level but it is very, very high for a DD and it has really tiny surface spotting range like most DDs. Basically you'll be deep in the AA aura before you even realize the DD is there if he keeps the AA off, and your planes will evaporate before you can reorient and escape or make an attack. That's what makes AA DDs so dangerous. It isn't as much the power of the AA but the fact that you can't spot them outside of their AA range so they can trap planes and do a lot of damage before the planes can escape. 

[TBB]
Members
385 posts
3,570 battles

Honestly, this will be an issue. Non-DD players will tell the German CVs to spot the Hallland, to which I'll reply no, and my karma will sub dive to the depths.

• Haha 1

[TBB]
Members
385 posts
3,570 battles
14 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

It's not Worcester level but it is very, very high for a DD and it has really tiny surface spotting range like most DDs. Basically you'll be deep in the AA aura before you even realize the DD is there if he keeps the AA off, and your planes will evaporate before you can reorient and escape or make an attack. That's what makes AA DDs so dangerous. It isn't as much the power of the AA but the fact that you can't spot them outside of their AA range so they can trap planes and do a lot of damage before the planes can escape. 

I'm 100% more scared of a Halland than a Worcester. Unicum red, you can hit the Worcester with any plane type the first pass, where you can only hit the halland 1st pass with HE Bombs.

Edited by Merc_R_Us

[SBS]
Members
5,387 posts
47 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

I calculated the AA numbers for both ships a week or two ago and posted in another discussion, which turned out to wrong.  I corrected the math now.

Maxed out AA for both ships (AA build, AA signal, DFAA/sector active, and the DPS for all three auras combined).

Wooster: 1543

Halland: 1146

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,460 battles
35 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Ah I see now... I thought it with a ship like Halland with amazing AA, you would leave AA on.   I will take this approach when i unlock Halland

22 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

hit the Worcester with any plane type the first pass, where you can only hit the halland 1st pass with HE Bombs

that is good to know, thank you!

14 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Wooster: 1543

Halland: 1146

Ah ok so Halland is quite up there but Worcester is at the top by a good margin

[NUWES]
Members
2,991 posts
9,918 battles
3 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Honestly, this will be an issue. Non-DD players will tell the German CVs to spot the Hallland, to which I'll reply no, and my karma will sub dive to the depths.

I pretty much ignored calls to spot it. I knew that wasn't going to end well especially when no one was in position to deal with it. 

[NUWES]
Members
2,991 posts
9,918 battles
3 hours ago, kishan99 said:

Ah I see now... I thought it with a ship like Halland with amazing AA, you would leave AA on.   I will take this approach when i unlock Halland

Only do that if the AA range somewhat exceeds the aerial detection range. That's what creates the trap. You let the planes get in close with the AA off, then unload on them right as they spot you. They probably won't be in a good position to set up an attack run on you and will have to burn boost to get out as soon as possible while taking damage, then fly back in again taking more damage. Most DDs with useful AA can do it. Almost all USN DDs at mid tiers and up can do it, high tier Pan Europeans can also do it. I know the IJN Aki-boats and some of the higher tier Soviets can do it as well. Some CLs can do it too. They usually have even better AA but worse aerial detection. It doesn't really work with CAs (other than Wichita that I know of), BCs, BBs, or CVs because their detection is too high. The CV can spot them before entering their AA so it can choose if and when to take the losses. Basically, if your AA range does not noticeably exceed your aerial detection range there is no reason to turn the AA off. If it does AND you have good AA, keep it off and turn it on only to surprise planes. 

Also if you just leave the AA on with a stealthy DD, the planes will detect you as soon as they hit the AA bubble which can be as far out as 6km, rather than almost 2 km that they would otherwise get. That's 4km of stealth that you handed over to the CV for no benefit to you. You let the CV know where you are and choose when and where to attack you when it is least convenient for you and without your AA being able to exact much of a price. 

What most DD players don't realize is that DDs are VERY hard to spot from the air. You nearly have to fly right over them. The vast bulk of the time when I spot a DD it is because its AA was on and led me to him. When the AA engages the planes the CV player gets an alert and the DD is revealed to everyone. Basically, in the example above he increased his detection to the 6km of his AA rather than the 2-3km of his hull. That 3-4km can be the difference between Midway HVARs rocketing you to death and them flying right past you without knowing you were there. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

[D3BT]
Members
370 posts
6,173 battles

These new German CVs seem like neutered versions of great carriers. Whut happened???

Unless WG's grand scheme is to get players to stop playing carriers? :Smile_hiding:

Edited by MudRaker227

Sign in to follow this