Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MackDye

How NOT to play the map. North Edition

8 comments in this topic

[DOG]
Members
654 posts
17,146 battles

You can't just give up the west flank. Its an auto loss if you do.

Screenshot (74).png

[SALVO]
Members
4,463 posts
3,825 battles

If you manage to keep a strong support position down by that Island in I2, it could work well. You can stall the red flank and if you win center, then you have the reds hanging in the open while you have all the cover. Just theorizing...

• Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles

There's a theme developing in these posts of yours, Mack, and it feels like "Watch me die so you don't have to." :Smile_veryhappy: 

I jest, but you are so, so right. First priority of any CV driver on this map should be to send rocket fighters to scout the unfriendly side of the left half as soon as they can. Likewise DDs; if there's no carrier in-game and you spawn on this side, you need to give your team vision as far forward as possible. And yes, I've been on the receiving end of what happens if you don't.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[SALVO]
Members
4,463 posts
3,825 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Likewise DDs; if there's no carrier in-game and you spawn on this side, you need to give your team vision as far forward as possible. And yes, I've been on the receiving end of what happens if you don't.

A DD with some BB support should be able to hold the side for some time, at least stall things. Unless red CV commits to full support.

[-PVE-]
Members
619 posts
40 minutes ago, MackDye said:

You can't just give up the west flank. Its an auto loss if you do.

36 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

If you manage to keep a strong support position down by that Island in I2, it could work well. You can stall the red flank and if you win center, then you have the reds hanging in the open while you have all the cover. Just theorizing...

I agree. Had a recent game in the same map. We lost control of the west flank, we lost the game. 

18830621_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_07.11-02_40.36_07.thumb.png.e522886d6548b939a0fe4c0fde6cbc02.png

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles
38 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

A DD with some BB support should be able to hold the side for some time, at least stall things. Unless red CV commits to full support.

Agree, also through experience (a more positive one). They chased us the breadth of the map and IIRC I died eventually, but it gave my team time to finish up in the east and they pulled off the comeback. 

[WOLFB]
Members
430 posts
7,950 battles

I've found that often times one if the best thing you can do in the open west flank is lead the enemy in a wild goose chase.

Keep em on your tail all the way up to the A (or J) line if you have to, cause in the end, even if you die, if you managed to slap em down a fair bit you've left them so out of position your team can come back and get the caps they left, as well as finish em off one they realize they're being flanked. 

Of course this is assuming you can't stay and tank and get overrun.

Edited by Saidalphon

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

The problem in your screenshot isn't just that they abandoned the west flank...its that they didn't push ANY FLANK.  They just balled up behind islands waiting for Santa Claus I guess to come down and give them the win.

Sadly, this scenario can easily turn into a win for your team these days, because of the "Win Harder" mentality that is common among players ( you know, especially those people who are complaining about their team DURING A WIN).  The team thats winning, with 2 caps and equal ships or a ships lead, won't be content to just sit there and wait for the win.  They will all line up like lemmings, figuring the win is secure and wanting to "win harder" and get their damage/kills in.  What ends up happening is that they charge in 1 by 1, and the conveniently grouped up team can now slaughter them and wait for the next.  I've seen this so often lately that I actually get worried if we get a big early lead, especially if its a "we have a 3 cap and ships lead".

Anyways, there are a couple maps I think that abandoning a flank is an acceptable move, but not many and even then, you usually want to put up at least a little bit of a fight.

Sign in to follow this