Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
eviltane

When you put on your try hard pants. How do you get in the "Zone" for World of Warships? Any rituals or Music?

29 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
3,508 posts
7,395 battles

I am a tryhard in WoWs.  There I said it. I like improving my own play and doing well.   I get mad when I play badly.  I try real hard not to repeat mistakes, despite the fact that I do repeat them.  To be completely honest I don't have a natural talent to do well in WoWs I actually do have to try hard to do well. 

There is a zone that I get into where I do real well. Then other times I can't find the zone and I don't do so hot.  So over time a ritual of sorts has developed which helps me get into "The Zone". 

Before I get into what I do to get into my zone.  What do you do  when putting on your try hard pants?

................................................................................

Ok so my ritual is a tad embarrassing to write about and my clan mates do make fun of me at times. 

I start off almost every night in the following steps. 

1. Load up voice chat and say hi to clan mates. 

2. Load up one of my youtube playlists (this is the embarrassing part) with West coast gangster rap from the 90s and early 00s.  I find the aggressive lyrics and beat get me pumped up and focused. ( I don't hit play yet)  

3. Load up WoWs. 

4. Jump into a division or go out solo in one of my favorite  DDs.  Then hit "battle"

5. Sometimes when loading into battle Hit the vape pen hard ( am in Canada so its all legal).  

6. Hit play on youtube, Vibe out with the tunes and go into map / match specific rituals like the one below:

As an example for a match  / DD specific ritual .  I did post my Destroyer guide that describes my approach playing in DDs : 

Ha also as a NSFW proof of music choice and that it totally works with WoWs, here are some highlights from recent plays of mine that I uploaded for clan mates to enjoy:

Warning:  LOUD and Not Safe For Work: 

View at your own risk. 

https://outplayed.tv/media/jXJZQ

https://outplayed.tv/media/vGJke

https://outplayed.tv/media/bkLZ7

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,780 posts
16,453 battles

When I'm on the road using my phone for a connection I'll usually play a coop or 3 to make sure my signal is stable. At home I have a couple of playlists, blues, hair metal, and if I'm in a real agressive mood some real hard thrash metal.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,172 battles

Ensure Im not angry.

Ensure Im not tired or stressed.

Do not play music...epic music leads to YOLOs and glorious deaths for me. ;)

Play to exploit my advantages (I usually like fair fights, so I have to force myself to play 'mean').

If the MM or RNG trolls me hard (I feel rising anger)...

...load up CV and channel my focus into being the ultimate team support, damage god. For some reason, CV just calms me and lets me play more true to myself.

If things are tough there...Ill go grind lower tier stuff (tier 4 or 5)...where people are less tryhard and nicer.

Down there, we can have a blast without caring so much about winning.

[SALVO]
Members
3,508 posts
7,395 battles
42 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

epic music leads to YOLOs and glorious deaths for me. ;)

Haha That one can be real tempting sometimes. 

[CNO]
Members
6,594 posts
19,839 battles

WOWS  creates its own zone in my psyche.  When I put the headset on...it's game on.  I can get very "in" to the game.  House could burn down around me and I wouldn't notice.  Sometimes,  I'm in the zone you refer to...just everything happens right.  All the right decisions.  Good RNG.  Good shots.  Nice dodges.  Just great all around.  Other times...yeah...sometimes things just got bad.  Sometimes its RNG...sometimes it's me.  That's the reality of life.  Not to mention, you're up against a bunch of other players, any one or more could be in THEIR ZONE against you.  

Just remember, sometimes you don't lose because you played bad.  Sometimes, you lose because your opponent just played better.  Great thing about WOWS, is there is always a new match...with a clean slate.  And for many (most?) of us, that next match is free!

Beta Testers
1,830 posts
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Do not play music...epic music leads to YOLOs and glorious deaths for me. ;)

definitely this.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,671 posts
10,453 battles
1 hour ago, eviltane said:

Load up one of my youtube playlists (this is the embarrassing part) with West coast gangster rap from the 90s and early 00s.

"When the sun frowns on my forehead, I sweat murder, which makes me the walkin' dead man"

Sometimes when loading into battle Hit the vape pen hard ( am in Canada so its all legal).  

Just the opposite for me. I do that, and I find myself zoomed in looking at my ships, as I sail out alone and my PT goes to 6 lol.

Except for DDs, they require constant attention, so no chance for my mind to wander, the White Widow usually makes for good DD games....

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,277 posts
6,158 battles

For me "The Zone" is just there or not, depending on the day. Some days I'm just numb, too tired, too stressed, too distracted to judge correctly, if I've enough judgement left I play Coop, OPs or don't play at all, if I have no senses left I rage after yoloing in randoms and then realizing I shouldn't be playing WoWS.

The days I'm "able", "The Zone" is just there to tap. I just sit and hit play. If I 'm feeling "slow", I start with BBs and move to other classes once/if I sharpen up. If I'm feeling "sharp" (say sunday mornings) I jump straight to DDs and/or cruisers, and drift towards BBs once I start to get "numb". 

I usually prefer to run sound on Speakers but some days RL is too distracting so I connect the headset. I usually don't play music, WoWS doesn't really give you a lot of critical sound input but I'm conditioned by other games where sound feedback info is critical, so I find music a bit distracting and set me off "The Zone". 

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,508 posts
7,395 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Just the opposite for me. I do that, and I find myself zoomed in looking at my ships, as I sail out alone and my PT goes to 6 lol.

Except for DDs, they require constant attention, so no chance for my mind to wander, the White Widow usually makes for good DD games....

Hahaha. That’s why I hit the pen after I hit battle for the first time and main DDs. 

[PHU]
Members
337 posts
6,006 battles

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
9,235 battles

It's that magical period between my sixth and sixteenth Coors Light, that's my zone. That's when the try hard pants go on and I play my best games. Don't ask what happens outside of those. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2

[GGWP]
Members
7,585 posts
17,943 battles

I skate around the net clockwise, enter the crease from the LH side, tap the RH post with my stick, then the LH post with my stick. 

Oh, you meant superstition s for video games... My bad. Typically just dive right into the first game, yolo in, die, yell at my team mated for lack of support and that typically gets me in to the "zone" 

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLFG]
Members
33,671 posts
10,453 battles
1 hour ago, eviltane said:

Hahaha. That’s why I hit the pen after I hit battle for the first time and main DDs. 

I have to go outside, so I usually play BB/CA/CV first, then the pipe, which serves the dual purpose of honing my DD play, and relieving any frustration from previous teammates lol.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
13,308 posts
20,163 battles

Music wise... Its Germany's theme for this patch so I get ready with...

When the game is over before it starts... (It does happen). I play this.

At least my sanity is intact...

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,172 battles
59 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I skate around the net clockwise, enter the crease from the LH side, tap the RH post with my stick, then the LH post with my stick. 

Oh, you meant superstition s for video games... My bad. Typically just dive right into the first game, yolo in, die, yell at my team mated for lack of support and that typically gets me in to the "zone" 

In football when in goal, I would make sure my teammates shot once to each side low...gave me a good 'first dive' on each side so I wasn't fearing impact with the ground. Also nice on rainy games to get good and wet so you wouldn't worry about that either.

In hockey, a few practices of the butterfly kick save for each direction.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,671 posts
10,453 battles
13 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Music wise... Its Germany's theme for this patch so I get ready with...

That's kind of milquetoast.

You need something with at least a bit of punch: (hard to do with 80's music I know lol)

[ARGSY]
Members
24,478 posts
18,475 battles

There are times when, in order to complete a mission, I find that the best way is to grind a ship repeatedly in co-op. Battle after battle after battle.

For all Soviet/Russian ships:

For the Japanese, especially for the battleships:

For the British:

For ONE British ship in particular (no prizes for guessing which):

And I could go on and on. Unfortunately some of my favourite fast-paced adrenaline music is really only suited to playing high-tier French destroyers under speed-boost.  :Smile_sad:

Oh hang on, wait, what's the duration of that again? Three minutes? Yeah, here we go. 

Now if only the main-battery reload booster could run for the entire final minute and 25 seconds of the tune, it would be EPIC.

And finally, when all is lost and all that's left is to go nose-in to the enemy and farm as much havoc as you can as you go down swinging, or it's Co-op and you have the luxury of a YOLO charge, here's what you fill out the final two minutes with:

The faster the ship, the better this works.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

My process: 

• Sit down at computer. 
  • Get game started up.
  • Pick ship that needs XP, get it kitted up to take advantage of first daily mission. 
  • Hit BATTLE. 

If I'm not in a mood to care about winning every battle, I don't play the game. 

[LSNB]
Members
1,718 posts
6,095 battles

Blame Yuro.

I do switch back to the WoWS music from time to time as they're pretty immersive.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,444 battles
23 hours ago, Brohk said:

It's that magical period between my sixth and sixteenth Coors Light, that's my zone. That's when the try hard pants go on and I play my best games. Don't ask what happens outside of those. :Smile_hiding:

Yep. Testify!

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this