You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

New Unique Upgrades

25 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
8,189 posts
13,489 battles

With the recent announcement of updated and new Unique Upgrades coming in 0.9.7, it was not formally announced how they would be obtained.

Obviously, they will be added to the Research Bureau, but is there a chance the new ones will have an opportunity to be ground out for free like the existing ones currently are?

You may recall that the missions for the current UU's were originally introduced to give players more of a reason to play their T10 ships if they had already completed most in-game content.  It would be nice to have the same opportunity for the new ones as well.

@Hapa_Fodder, has there been any indication given on these details yet?

[BUOY]
Members
846 posts
13,364 battles

Missions were phased out, the only reason they go till 12/31 is because WG wanted to avoid the memes. New UU's are RB only.

[-K-]
Members
8,189 posts
13,489 battles
15 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

New UU's are RB only.

Confirmed?  I haven't seen any formal indication of that yet.

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
234 posts
8,046 battles

After some searching, found it. With no missions after 2/12/2020, only can get in RB.

image.thumb.png.62351d571c6b519ed5d40ceed4537a1a.png

[HELLS]
Members
2,587 posts
25,756 battles

Sucks a bit. I ground the UUs for my T10s the hard way. Now they put up a virtual paywall in the form of RB tokens. Still free but an inconvenience. At least you end up getting RB tokens from the monthly mission chains, but this is going to take a long time...longer that grinding them in randoms with tech tree line resets for RB tokens I would think, which I have no intention of doing to get what are in effect paper designs....

[USCC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
277 posts
20,018 battles

After so many changes to them and so expensive I do pass on them.

[BB35]
Members
273 posts

I dismounted my UU's on my ships. With the upcoming nerfs on them, I didn't see a point of running them. Why would anyone spend 19200 RB Points on one is beyond me. (I'm not resetting a line to get one now, especially since they are not to be "Legendary" or "Unique" Ugrades anymore.)

• Cool 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,882 posts
13,317 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

With the recent announcement of updated and new Unique Upgrades coming in 0.9.7, it was not formally announced how they would be obtained.

Obviously, they will be added to the Research Bureau, but is there a chance the new ones will have an opportunity to be ground out for free like the existing ones currently are?

You may recall that the missions for the current UU's were originally introduced to give players more of a reason to play their T10 ships if they had already completed most in-game content.  It would be nice to have the same opportunity for the new ones as well.

@Hapa_Fodder, has there been any indication given on these details yet?

At this time, there will be no missions for UUs anymore.

All of them can be obtained through the RB.

-Hapa

• Sad 1
  • Meh 4

Beta Testers
4,550 posts
10,944 battles

WG is pushing them to RB to try earn more $$$$

If they left them at T10 you don't have to regrind entire lines.. and can just play a ship that you want.

Regrinding gets people to burn Free XP/Flags/Camo's.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[EQRN]
Members
1,934 posts
16,254 battles
25 minutes ago, Spyde said:

WG is pushing them to RB to try earn more $$$$

Increasingly useless mods in an utterly useless mechanic - my wallet thanks WG :cap_like:

[ALOFT]
Supertester
570 posts
14,576 battles
41 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

-Hapa

Is anything going to be done about some of the super weak and useless UUs? I don't see a reason to grinding for the bad ones, such as 52, Kremlin, Daring and Mino. You know, all of the new ones save for the Haragumo. As someone who will have all of the old UUs the old way by the end of the year, the new ones being useless doesn't give me any reason to regrind for the RB points for them.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,365 posts
13,820 battles
1 hour ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

-Hapa

That is pretty sad.  "Hey, congrats on your shiney new T10 ship.  If you'd like to experience a different play style, you can re-play a bunch of other ships that are NOT your T10 you earned, so that you can afford to buy a module for the T10 you wanted to play all along!"

Star Wars Galaxies tried this (The RB) in a way and it was an utter failure that ultimately killed the game.  "Want to be a Jedi?  Grind a bunch of professions that you don't want to play, over and over, until you unlock the Jedi class!" 

I see no reason why we can't have the RB AND the missions...give the players a choice of how they want to get it. 

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 4

[-K-]
Members
8,189 posts
13,489 battles
42 minutes ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

Is anything going to be done about some of the super weak and useless UUs? I don't see a reason to grinding for the bad ones, such as 52, Kremlin, Daring and Mino. You know, all of the new ones save for the Haragumo. As someone who will have all of the old UUs the old way by the end of the year, the new ones being useless doesn't give me any reason to regrind for the RB points for them.

Weak and useless are subjective terms.

As has been said, the Unique Upgrades aren't supposed to make a ship stronger, but rather give it an alternative playstyle.

If you're looking for these to improve your performance out of the box, you're barking up the wrong tree.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,822 posts
4,613 battles
4 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Confirmed?  I haven't seen any formal indication of that yet.

Yes.  Confirmed.  This was announced over several patches early in the year as new missions were made unavailable.

[ALOFT]
Supertester
570 posts
14,576 battles
8 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

As has been said, the Unique Upgrades aren't supposed to make a ship stronger, but rather give it an alternative playstyle.

If you're looking for these to improve your performance out of the box, you're barking up the wrong tree.

There's no reason to run the Daring's for example. The torp range is just too low already in a radar and CV meta. 

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
793 posts
6,157 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Way too many long time players still think of them as “legendary” hence the unrealistic expectations.

• Cool 1

[BBMOD]
Members
344 posts
5,650 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

As has been said, the Unique Upgrades aren't supposed to make a ship stronger, but rather give it an alternative playstyle

Thats were i think the player base disconnect is. Under the current RB system you need to spend alot of time and/or money to get enough RB points for the UU. However, the value of the updated UUs don't really seem to be consistent with the effort required to get them. I am accumulating RB points now but i'm not sure any of the current UUs are attractive enough to spend the hard earned RB points on.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,822 posts
4,613 battles
2 hours ago, Grimm262 said:

the value of the updated UUs don't really seem to be consistent with the effort required to get them.

That may be true, but coupled with RP ships, it gives people something to do and gives them something quite rare.

[LEGIT]
Members
2,253 posts
30,769 battles

X KREMLIN (Slot 6) 

• -18% to main battery reload time 
  • -12% to main battery firing range 
  • -1 charge of consumables

Modernization offers a more aggressive playstyle, in which the ship sacrifices its survivability in exchange for rate of fire bonus.  

Like Kremlin isn't loved and welcomed by all at the moment?

Members
1,612 posts
34,039 battles
13 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Sucks a bit. I ground the UUs for my T10s the hard way. Now they put up a virtual paywall in the form of RB tokens. Still free but an inconvenience. At least you end up getting RB tokens from the monthly mission chains, but this is going to take a long time...longer that grinding them in randoms with tech tree line resets for RB tokens I would think, which I have no intention of doing to get what are in effect paper designs....

It's not that hard to do line resets so long as you do ones that you went through fast. If you signal them up already, then you will do fine. I think Flambass mentioned that you can fly up a ship line a lot easier due to no more signals restrictions. You can literally put them all on including the dragon ones.

Just make sure you have enough tier 10 lines to qualify, and you take full advantage of the doubler when it comes around.

If you have certain lines that you had major fun doing, then you probably have the means to get RB tokens on a regular basis.

Just choose the resets carefully. 

Members
829 posts
4,668 battles
5 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

X KREMLIN (Slot 6) 

• -18% to main battery reload time 
  • -12% to main battery firing range 
  • -1 charge of consumables

Modernization offers a more aggressive playstyle, in which the ship sacrifices its survivability in exchange for rate of fire bonus.  

Like Kremlin isn't loved and welcomed by all at the moment?

No-one in their right mind would waste their time on this. It's slot 6 which should already have a reload speed mod in it.

So you get like 6% reload boost for losing a heal and damcon. That isn't "more aggressive" it's suicidal.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
8,189 posts
13,489 battles
18 hours ago, Gemlin said:

I dismounted my UU's on my ships. With the upcoming nerfs on them, I didn't see a point of running them. Why would anyone spend 19200 RB Points on one is beyond me. (I'm not resetting a line to get one now, especially since they are not to be "Legendary" or "Unique" Ugrades anymore.)

It is a lot of points for something that is a side-grade option.

11 hours ago, iDuckman said:

That may be true, but coupled with RP ships, it gives people something to do and gives them something quite rare.

Unless someone is one of the few that has all the ships already, I can't see a reason why anyone would use RB points on these upgrades instead of ships.

Especially when compounded with the fact that you don't even know how much you will enjoy the upgrade until you put in the work to get it, considering you can't really test drive it in advance.

[HELLS]
Members
2,587 posts
25,756 battles
8 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

It's not that hard to do line resets so long as you do ones that you went through fast. If you signal them up already, then you will do fine. I think Flambass mentioned that you can fly up a ship line a lot easier due to no more signals restrictions. You can literally put them all on including the dragon ones.

Just make sure you have enough tier 10 lines to qualify, and you take full advantage of the doubler when it comes around.

If you have certain lines that you had major fun doing, then you probably have the means to get RB tokens on a regular basis.

Just choose the resets carefully. 

Been doing that since the beginning. It is poinless otherwise. Since I obtained the RB ships I wanted through resets, I have no incentive other than to collect the monthly bonuses until I have enough to to grab the FXP that they can buy. I am currently at 1.3 million FXP and am aiming at 3 million. Coal is the same, at 365,000 and sitting on it because there are currently no real coal ships that interest me. Friesland and Halland at least were real ships and are decent at their tiers, so it is worth the effort unless they make another real ship available that has a service history and is interesting.It has been eons since I have paid for a premium ship or premium time. Even cut back on doubloon purchases.

When I lapse back to a standard account in the next couple of weeks for the first time in three years I will be mothballing all of my tech tree ships and using only my premium ships and high-level captains until the snowflake routine and Xmas premium time specials return. That will get me to twenty-five plus 19 pointers from my current 15. Don't play as much as I used to the way the game is going.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,733 posts
12,549 battles
On 7/15/2020 at 10:02 AM, Ace_04 said:

Sure. It’s called the Research Bureau.