Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CallingElvis

Top-5 secondaries ships

41 comments in this topic

[O2]
Members
503 posts
10,289 battles

I am running some tests on secondaries and wanted to ask you what you consider to be the 5 best secondaries ships in T7-T10 range.

[WORX]
Members
13,286 posts
20,135 battles

Top 5 IMO

1. Mass
  2. RICHI
  3. Alsace
  4. JB
  5. Yamato

Must feared secondary ships are located at tier 8 and above.

The King of Secondaries in the game.... GZ hands down

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,131 posts
4,342 battles

Mass

Georgia

Bismark/Tirpitz

JB

Richi or Alsace

Honorable Mention: Graf Zepplin

[STURM]
Members
737 posts
6,194 battles

1. GZ: She has it all. Accuracy, penetration and volume of fire.

2. Shikishima: take IFHE and you suddenly have a Harugumo with 32mm pen, a shorter reload and higher damage HE shells strapped to each side of the ship.

3. GK: Nothing fancy here, just good DPM combined with good penetration.

4. Ohio: take Massachusetts secondaries, shave off half a second base reload, almost double the fire chance, profit.

5. Manfred von Richthofen: take the GZ, and chop off the 150, and you have Richthofen. She does have better angles to bring her maximum of six guns on a target, however.

Alpha Tester
6,680 posts
3,338 battles

1: Zeppelin

2:  Massachusetts

3: Grosser Kurfurst

4: Alsace

5: Georgia

[4-FUN]
[4-FUN]
Members
195 posts
10,018 battles

1. Kurfurst with legendary mod. No IFHE needed, pens range from 32mm to 38mm.
2. Friedrich de Grobe with 20% Secondary and AA mod in 5th place. No IFHE needed, Pen is over 25mm to 32mm or higher. Has potential to be the fastest Secondary reload ship in the game (along with Bourgogne and perhaps Georgia).
3. Georgia with IFHE instead of AFT restricting range to 9km without flag, but pen is over 25mm. Mass and Ohio are just as good, but can't verify as I dont have these/tested them.
4. Repub or Bourgogne with IFHE to get smaller secondaries over 25mm pen mark.
5. Dont really have a 5th other than running the Kurfie Capt on Odin, Tirpitz, Agir, PEF for happy fun secondary time.

Alsace Secondaries have been sh*t on with the IFHE rework and even with IFHE, only its 152s can break the 25mm mark (not even the 32mm as they could pre IFHE rework). The small 100s still struggle and cant even pen a T10 DD, even with IFHE which still doesnt get them above the 25mm mark. Results with this ships secondaries are so poor, I don't event want to play it now.

Not counting the GZ as that is a freak of a CV.

Shikashima has good potential, especially as its smaller secondaries have a pen of 32mm and high ROF. Here is a good example 

Edited by CC123
  • Cool 1

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,316 posts

1:  Massachusetts

2: Odin

3: Grosser Kurfurst

4:Alsace

5: Bismark/Tirpitz

• Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
702 posts
14,882 battles
4 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

grafzilla.jpg.3eebaffef36c83e1f24ae524fc4b8720.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=44b63c92bbf32eae

This is hilarious, but true. The secondaries on the Graf Zeppelin are monstrous. Was fun using the GZ in those 1vs1 sprints. Was able to even sink BBs with them when I put my 19pt GK secondary focused captain in it. DDs didn't have a chance.

• Funny 1

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
706 posts
16,241 battles
5 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Top 5 IMO

1. Mass
  2. RICHI
  3. Alsace
  4. JB
  5. Yamato

Must feared secondary ships are located at tier 8 and above.

The King of Secondaries in the game.... GZ hands down

Bismark/Tirpitz will shred Yamato. Yama secondaries not that great.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,513 posts

Get the feeling a  lot of people are going to be upset at the amount of MvR's that are going to be out there in a few weeks.

Edited by Anonymous50

[FORM]
Members
2,382 posts
13,548 battles
7 hours ago, Toxygene said:

I am running some tests on secondaries and wanted to ask you what you consider to be the 5 best secondaries ships in T7-T10 range.

1. Mass
  2. GK
  3. GA
  4. Alsace
  5. Odin

Members
604 posts
17,647 battles

Zeppelin

Mass

GK

Alsace

???

I haven’t seen enough of the shikashima or Ohio or Odin to gauge them yet. GA and the other KM/French bbs are candidates. It also might be interesting to test the Venezia? I know you wanted tier 7-10, but the Normandie is actually one of the outlier effective secondary platforms for her tier.

Beta Testers
1,038 posts
4,513 battles

Besides Meme Graf and Ohio...

1. Massachusetts. 

2. Georgia. Same exact weapons as Mass but more awkward hull.

3. Odin. This has most of Kurfürsts weapons, brawling armor and hydro. 

4. Bismarck/Tirpitz. Same weapons. 

5. Großer Kurfürst. Heaviest firepower bar none but the hardest to use.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Gneisenau should get at least honorable mention, it's bristling with 128mm secondaries (11 twin turrets) with 32mm pen at tier VII.  

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,582 posts
17,778 battles
9 hours ago, CC123 said:

1. Kurfurst with legendary mod. No IFHE needed, pens range from 32mm to 38mm.
2. Friedrich de Grobe with 20% Secondary and AA mod in 5th place. No IFHE needed, Pen is over 25mm to 32mm or higher. Has potential to be the fastest Secondary reload ship in the game (along with Bourgogne and perhaps Georgia).
3. Georgia with IFHE instead of AFT restricting range to 9km without flag, but pen is over 25mm. Mass and Ohio are just as good, but can't verify as I dont have these/tested them.
4. Repub or Bourgogne with IFHE to get smaller secondaries over 25mm pen mark.
5. Dont really have a 5th other than running the Kurfie Capt on Odin, Tirpitz, Agir, PEF for happy fun secondary time.

Alsace Secondaries have been sh*t on with the IFHE rework and even with IFHE, only its 152s can break the 25mm mark (not even the 32mm as they could pre IFHE rework). The small 100s still struggle and cant even pen a T10 DD, even with IFHE which still doesnt get them above the 25mm mark. Results with this ships secondaries are so poor, I don't event want to play it now.

Not counting the GZ as that is a freak of a CV.

Shikashima has good potential, especially as its smaller secondaries have a pen of 32mm and high ROF. Here is a good example 

Wow OK so my interest in this ships just moved up a notch. Did not know it had long range secondaries.

• Cool 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,444 battles

I got CQE in Kiev at least once. Haida, too.

As a DD main, I can say the worst to face are:

1. Kurf. Insanity range.

2. Georgia. Ga players can get their ships into secondary range real quick.

3. Siegfried. No one ever sees it coming.

4. Massachusetts. Oh, the volume.

5. Biz/Tirp. The classics never get old.

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
616 posts
3,910 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Gneisenau should get at least honorable mention, it's bristling with 128mm secondaries (11 twin turrets) with 32mm pen at tier VII.  

This. The Sharn sisters can put out some serious secondary pepper.

[CLUMP]
Members
1,892 posts
2,412 battles

Word of warning don't go near Graf Zeppelin in DD because if got secondary build you are fk :fish_palm:

[WOLFC]
Members
2,513 posts
19 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

Word of warning don't go near Graf Zeppelin in DD because if got secondary build you are fk :fish_palm:

CL's shouldn't either - if it decides to turn tail, you won't be able to touch it and it will melt half your HP before you notice.

(Yes, I have fond memories of 1v1 VIII rank)

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
13,286 posts
20,135 battles
7 hours ago, Willy55_1955 said:

Bismark/Tirpitz will shred Yamato. Yama secondaries not that great.

That is why its 5th on the list... Dead last...

[WOLF9]
Members
1,320 posts
24,700 battles

I mostly play coop, and I have my KM BBs all set for full secondaries (T8-T10).  I just got Odin, so she will be added to this as well.

I have Mass as a Secondary.  On the fence about buying the Georgia.  If I get her, she will be a secondary as well.

I wasn't sure about the French BB line, but it sure sounds like the T8 - T10 ships are also secondary worthy.

In one coop game, my record so far is 692 secondary hits for 93k damage with the GK.  Plus a ton of fun.   Secondary tasks are a breeze with these boats.

I do play Mass in randoms as well.  She does ok.

[ICEY]
Members
190 posts
6,662 battles

All of ya forgot to mention Nagato and Amagi. They get a similar dispersion formula as the Massachusetts with their 140 mm guns. They are very effective against DDs should they pop up close to you. Nagato is much better than Amagi in secondaries because most of them are forward facing and actually see tiers as low as 5. Multiple times I had DDs trying to YOLO torp me in my Nagato and my secondaries melted them from full hp to nothing in 3-4 salvos. Very few BBs can actually do that in such a short time. German battleships even fully upgraded will rarely stop a YOLOing DD in such a short amount of time due to their poor accuracy. Massachusetts might be able to but the damage on the 127s might not be enough if they don't hit all the time. Even though Nagato and Amagi do not have the range, they have a 7.5 km no go zone for DDs. So IMHO, Nagato has the best secondaries combined with her matchmaking for dealing with close range destroyers (especially when it comes to tier 5-6 games where DD torps suck).

[CDOH]
Members
905 posts
8,510 battles

best secondary ship inmho is Georgia.  It has the speed to get secondaries in action and it has the speed to keep the secondaries at optimal range.

Sign in to follow this