You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

This HAS to drive Win rate fans NUTS!

25 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts

UPDATE PREFACE

This is being totally misunderstood.

I am 100% about winning.  In everything I do , It's a generational thing I am starting to think.  My post is about with the types of things that I mentioned in it how can you not go nuts ( Fellow in driven people )  with people throwing away your hard earned efforts to get the win.

If a Football player picked up a fumble with 30 seconds to go in a tied game and scored for the other team he would be ripped apart on the field.  Extreme example but it's what I'm talking about..  Intentional things done to lose done by teammates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't have mine open to the public but they don't stink.  This is my original account and I play mostly T9-10 randoms since I started  even back when I S_U_C_K_E_D

I'm a 48.8 with about 1700 Randoms

Today I am 8 wins 2 losses so far but that is just luck.. sure I had some good games but no matter HOW good you are you can't carry if 1/2 the team doesn't fight.

I don't pad because I really don't care. I'm here to have fun and if I die saving my teammate or capping that last point  it's all good!

That said. How CAN people care about " Win rates " when the teams are random?

The BIGGEST thing I would think would drive stats motivated people CrAZy  would be the things I have been seeing in chat.

The list is long but in my last CLOSE loss where I had a pretty good game just now one guy says..   

"Sorry guys have fun!  I had to get my secondaries in." As he yolos and dies JUST as we were about to win.

The other this morning there were only 2 DDs  We had our work cut out.. good players pushing against us using Radar and Hyro in perfect order.

We had my side secured.. fight was on.. the OTHER DD didn't do anything.. He hid then Ambushed a ship in a perfect YOLO torp and died.  He says.. YES!  I got my torp hits!  Team on his flank melted,  we lost.

This is why I just don't get it. Forget he's a selfish AH but WHO doesn't know you do that in COOP not RANDOMS??

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
4,321 posts
3,749 battles
5 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

How CAN people care about " Win rates " when the teams are random?

Because it is your WR the one that matters. We all know there is only so much one player can do against the odds they face, the metric is mostly to measure yourself... are you improving? where are you failing? ... there is much info you can get from your stats to help you improve your game. I don't care about my stats relative to someone else (mild lie here, can't avoid my phallic narcissist nature but try to have it in check) what is really important is my stats relative to myself.

A defeat where I topped the chart and had a good performance is good enough for me, you can't always win but you do your part, that's all about it. A victory where I Yolo and then get carried is empty, a consolation prize but in the end it balances on the global scale so WR makes sense. 

To answer the question: I care because it reflects MY performance, not the team's. 

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
377 posts
10,861 battles

I gave up caring of my W/L rate. Im sitting at 50%. I turned my stuff to private so I would stop seeing myself on wow numbers. That site feeds the toxic to you if you care about your W/L rate.

I played coop for about a month to get away from the toxic attitude I had. Started playing randoms again for past 3 days.

Day 1 - 15 wins 3 losses

Day 2 - 18 wins 0 losses

Day 3 - 1 win 5 losses (quit playing before I got toxic)

Some days like today I get team mates sitting in corners or half the team behind one island. Somedays the players support each other and play like a real team.

If Im not having fun, Im turning it off.

I agree, you cant makeup for really bad players. I consider myself average. But agree sometimes match maker has it out for you.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,761 posts
15,617 battles

Many, possibly most, of those you call stats motivated are more correctly win oriented.

I enjoy having monster stats in a win, in a loss it really doesnt matter. Better to be the worst winner than best loser.

How can we care in a random match? Easy, the better you get at influencing the outcome the more you win. Not a difficult leap of logic.

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts
29 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Shouldn't do that in Co-op, either. 

I couldn't care less If they do it in Co-op...   Not sure anyone cares. The win rate is 99% and if some fool wants to kill himself off early I get more ships ( XP ) to farm.    

What I don't get is why in coop people just camp and run away.. now THAT's funny.  

Again , more meat for me : ) :cap_rambo:

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
8,476 battles
20 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

How CAN people care about " Win rates " when the teams are random?

People can maintain high win rates in spite of random teams, that indicates a certain level of player skill (and a little luck) that allows someone to maintain a higher (51%+) win rate. So naturally, people care about their win rates because they are just one tool used to measure player skill (though not a perfect one). 

I care about my win rate because it's one of my personal measures for success in the game. Now having said that, the idea that people who care about their win rate are miserable people who obsess over the stat is monstrously overblown. I don't obsess over my win rate. I don't measure the fun I am having by just my win rate. I don't become angry or violently lash out because of my win rate. I know that I will never win every game. I know that streaks of wins or losses will occur.  I also know that I have some control over my win rate through my actions and decisions in the game. I know that I can improve in a lot of areas. Sure, I care about my win rate, I just wish sometimes some of my teammates cared too (although to be fair, I have made some really stupid decisions and helped throw games so the same can be said for me from time to time :Smile_hiding: ).

Members
6,621 posts
20,599 battles

I care very much about winning. Every game I play/win helps me build better captains for every ship I have. Spending 17 minutes to get 700 or 1700 base xp, corresponding credits and personal satisfaction is important. Having players running around stating idiotic statements and poor play, chasing some mission to provide a premium that is a clone of a tech tree ship.........is why we have 8 MM threads a day.

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts
30 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Why do capitalize random words lol.

It's a Theater thing, it shows where to amplify or intensify a word.. ( mostly in script read thru )  Much like triple forte in music.

So now you know why and don't have to LOL?

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
4,358 posts
6,405 battles

I care about win rates because I like winning. In every battle I play. I'm the only constant in an otherwise random scenario, so who knows, if I put in 110% effort I might be able to get more wins than losses.

Members
3,577 posts
12,928 battles
1 minute ago, Col_Nasty said:

It's a Theater thing, it shows where to amplify or intensify a word.. ( mostly in script read thru )  Much like triple forte in music.

So now you know why and don't have to LOL?

Some of them just seem random, so I still lol. 

[CLUMP]
Members
795 posts
1,150 battles

I stop playing in randoms because I hate losing :fish_palm:I hate winning when I did nothing either :Smile_sceptic: So yeah as for win rate yes I rather not go below 50% :Smile_hiding:

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts
11 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Many, possibly most, of those you call stats motivated are more correctly win oriented.

I enjoy having monster stats in a win, in a loss it really doesnt matter. Better to be the worst winner than best loser.

How can we care in a random match? Easy, the better you get at influencing the outcome the more you win. Not a difficult leap of logic.

This is being totally misunderstood.

I am 100% about winning.  In everything I do , It's a generational thing I am starting to think.  My post is about with the types of things that I mentioned in it how can you not go nuts with people throwing away your hard earned efforts to get the win.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
39 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Why do capitalize random words lol.

I imagine him gesticulating as he's typing.  :Smile_teethhappy:

More seriously:  Unless it's either extremely bad or good, overall WR is nothing to sweat over.  Sure, it matters personally, but no one else cares, really.

There are specifically more important, "direct influence" stats than win rate, if one is so inclined.  If you're consistent and doing what you should be doing, suited to the strengths of the ship you're playing, those stats will reflect that.  Wins will occur (when they do) by default.

You often can't control, in a significant way, whether your team ultimately wins or loses.  But you can control your own contribution.  Doing well and having a good match where you team loses is, IMO, better than having a win where you contributed little.

Wins - and losses - come when they will.

Edited by Kuckoo

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,692 posts
14 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I couldn't care less If they do it in Co-op...   Not sure anyone cares. The win rate is 99% and if some fool wants to kill himself off early I get more ships ( XP ) to farm.    

What I don't get is why in coop people just camp and run away.. now THAT's funny.  

Again , more meat for me : ) :cap_rambo:

The problem is that during these events, we get "teams" in Co-op where 3/4 of the players assume "someone else" will secure the win because wins are "guaranteed" in PVE... or they simply don't care at all whether it's a win or what effect they're having on anyone else's gaming... and combined they have a very negative effect. 

[WOLFC]
Members
1,884 posts
9,902 battles

Directives farming isn't all that much different from base xp farming, as my 37% WR in Moskva from back in 2018 reminds me.

[RLGN]
Members
14,241 posts
25,057 battles
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The problem is that during these events, we get "teams" in Co-op where 3/4 of the players assume "someone else" will secure the win because wins are "guaranteed" in PVE... or they simply don't care at all whether it's a win or what effect they're having on anyone else's gaming... and combined they have a very negative effect.

This?

So many games where a team melts, and I’m left alone trying to carry.

Depending on things I can and have; but have you ever tried to carry a games in a Friesland, when the bot guns are always pointed at you, (because ‘so they can be competitive, according to WG,) and they shoot as soon as you do, trying to DoT fires as your only hope?

[RAZE]
Alpha Tester
241 posts
6,537 battles

well theres reason why some are above 50% some are below. because they "contribute to the win/lost "  not because they carried it to glory

( but yea some top notch player could carry a fairly ok team if the others able to offer "some help".)

Members
3,577 posts
12,928 battles
1 minute ago, Anonymous50 said:

Directives farming isn't all that much different from base xp farming, as my 37% WR in Moskva from back in 2018 reminds me.

You get more base XP in wins. Unless the directive has winning as a requirement; they are different. 

[RAZE]
Alpha Tester
241 posts
6,537 battles

its also true if u play in a division u get better win rate  (due to most of the time ur div mate offer help u needed )

[SALVO]
Members
1,952 posts
6,178 battles
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

That said. How CAN people care about " Win rates " when the teams are random?

Because YOU are the ONE constant in your WR. Everyone else comes and goes, YOU define your WR. 

Win rate is a measure of how successfully and how consistently a player can influence battles to the positive. Every potato can make good calls and heroic moves. But only good players can do it consistently. 

We have a 54% WR requirement.  That Requirement  came about over time.   Both a combination of what we could afford  and what we saw in battle. 

Win rate isn't everything and it can be skewed so I look at what tiers someone plays in, what ships they use,  Is it a healthy mix or just one ship that boosts the WR. Also PR is in the picture as a consideration. 

That being said, I have been a recruiter and player in my clan since season 1.  I have watched many players very carefully. Not just how they play in randoms but also how well they play in CBs.  

Without fail the higher someones WR goes the less micro management they need from callers, they will know more and better positions, they will keep from showing broadside less and put themselves in more favorable positions. 

Same goes the other way. The worse someones WR goes the faster they will put themselves in bad spots. Hell I have seen more 45-48%ers make a bad play  then  defend their bad play infront of a caller then I have seen good players do. 

In the end WR is a hard measure of how consistently you can influence battles to a win condition. 

[SALVO]
Members
1,952 posts
6,178 battles
11 minutes ago, callphy said:

its also true if u play in a division u get better win rate  (due to most of the time ur div mate offer help u needed )

IF you are with players that can carry a positive winrate by themselves yes. But not if you div with bad players. A division of 45%ers on your team is worse then a single 45%er.  

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,445 posts

Man, I think today is my hangry day... 

People will do this for any number of reasons - but they are specifically (in your mentioned instances) confirming the MISSIONS for the CAMPAIGNS (or whatever you choose to call them) are THEIR reason. 

So if you want to point a finger, point it to WG/WoWS. 

But don't point too long because about any metric you could come up with for such missions would still have the same result. 

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles
39 minutes ago, eviltane said:

IF you are with players that can carry a positive winrate by themselves yes. But not if you div with bad players. A division of 45%ers on your team is worse then a single 45%er.  

Worse yet, a division of 45%ers could pull in an opposing division of unicums (or lord forbid, 2 of them), and then you are in a world of hurt (usually).