You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Odin Dockyard Event: My Thoughts

31 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,053 posts
8,628 battles

With the final directive activated as of yesterday and with only 60k xp to go until full completion, I must say I have been very impressed by this event. From the get to the rules and terms were explicitly stated along with the underlining fact you will need to pay some dosh to get Odin. However, along the way the missions to get Odin brought that overall cost down significantly. The missions themselves were not too egregious, with the hardest missions being more time consuming than anything else, thankfully not to the extent of the Christmas event. The dockyard itself is such a fantastic idea and I am happy WG was able to do it right this time. I look forward to seeing more events like this in the future so long as this difficulty is prominent.

Aside from that how is everyone faring on this final directive? Will Odin appear in your port soon or have you already sailed the high seas with her?

Edited by Usedcarjock
Autocorrect is the suck
  • Cool 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[5D3]
[5D3]
Members
505 posts
15,152 battles
6 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

With the final directive activated as of yesterday and with only 60k xp to go until full completion, I must say I have been very impressed by this event. From the get to the rules and terms were explicitly stated along with the underlining fact you will need to pay some dosh to get Odin. However, along the way the missions to get Odin brought that overall cost down significantly. The missions themselves were not too egregious, with the hardest missions being more time consuming than anything else, thankfully not to the extent of the Christmas event. The dockyard itself is such a fantastic idea and I am happy WG was able to do it right this time. I look forward to seeing more events like this in the future so long as this difficulty is prominent.

Aside from that how is everyone faring on this final directive? Will Odin appear in your port soon or have you already sailed the high seas with her?

it was fair and straight forward as far as clarity. and the 2 updates are nice.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,135 posts
18,987 battles

Agreed, the clarity and parameters were a big step in the right direction. I spent some money on two stages early on and am on course for getting her some time this week.

[KWF]
Members
4,370 posts
6,405 battles

Got Odin just an hour or so ago. Overall, I'd say it was a reasonably good event, and the time limit is more than generous to get to phase 18 or at least a free Graf Spee. 

Still, having to pay for Odin kinda miffs me, especially with the last minute change before release, though I understand the reasoning and am glad it was communicated decently. 

That said, I would like to see a similar event  in the future, only this time the currency to complete a stage could be coal. Alternatively having a small list of ships to build yourself would be nice. 

Edited by warheart1992

[PVE]
Members
11,835 posts
24,499 battles
14 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I bought it out the 1st morning (29K Doubloons) and then played through and completed each stage to get the Steel. Ended up with 4500 +450 Clan Bonus = 4950! :cap_like:

The event itself was as close to perfect as I have ever seen from WG. From fairness and reasonable tasks to rewards and compensation they did a fantastic job. I truly hope this is the standard moving forward in all things.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,398 posts
15,843 battles

I enjoyed it. Less grind, less reward and a cheaper price than the PR event. So not nearly as good a deal as the PR was but at least it was very clear how to do it, which of course is much better than the PR event was.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,053 posts
8,628 battles
11 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Got Odin just an hour or so ago. Overall, I'd say it was a reasonably good event, and the time limit is more than generous to get to phase 18 or at least a free Graf Spee. 

Still, having to pay for Odin kinda miffs me, especially with the last minute change before release, though I understand the reasoning and am glad it was communicated decently. 

That said, I would like to see a similar event  in the future, only this time the currency to complete a stage could be coal. Alternatively having a small list of ships to build yourself would be nice. 

I do like the idea of that. In Azur Lane for example there is PR research where you can choose from 5-6 different ship girls to “build.” It would be interesting if they added different nation ships to choose from on a rotation like basis or a long lasting campaign like directive.

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,172 battles
16 minutes ago, Lert said:

Agreed, the clarity and parameters were a big step in the right direction. I spent some money on two stages early on and am on course for getting her some time this week.

Mostly same.

Was there a special for 2 or 3 boosters of some sort early on? Think I got those.

Down to last phase.(20?)

Think I’m nearly done. Maybe finish tonight, depending on what I need to do.

Members
558 posts
5,048 battles

The dockyard event was fine. The directives were not hard, and I liked that it came with options (pay to skip a little, pay to skip a lot and whale some steel, or grind and pay the minimum).

Odin itself is just meh/OK though, which is sad. I'm good with most of the package (OKish main battery, good secondaries, good conceal, armor, hydro + torps) but the HP is not sufficient for a BB/BC that regularly sees T10 ships. It's worth about the $15 it costs if you do the directives. 

[ABCD3]
Members
479 posts
11,944 battles

I agree and should get the Oden by the end of this week.   It is worth the grind and for $15 for the remaining two directives (for some of us). 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,733 posts

This event appeared to address just about all of the issues with the original Dockyard event.  

• More reasonable mission tasks. 
  • Longer timeframe.
  • All goals and costs laid out well in advance with no hidden or missing information. 
  • No advanced math needed to plan out grind and/or expenditure. 
  • An entire span of player choice in terms of grind/purchase options.  
  • The Graf Spee (or 7 million credits in compensation) as the free ship for getting halfway (along with 10pt capt, port slot, camo) was very achievable for the average player, and more fitting than the Gorizia in the PR grind.    
  • Working the cost of a tier VIII premium down to $14 is reasonable.  As some of us pushed hard for at the time of Dockyard 1.0, this version of the Dockyard worked more like the Cossack event.   

Good new concepts:

• The "OR" missions.

Appreciated apparent trend:

• More than do-able in Co-op.

And a couple of criticisms:  

• Excessive use of overlapping type/nation requirements on many of the individual missions.
  • Slightly superfluous payouts on the missions that didn't pay out Tokens, not horrible but not much reason to complete extra missions.  Somewhat made up for by the stage payouts in the build itself.  
  • The initial issues with the Dockyard opening slowly or not at all were a pain -- but WG moved with unusual speed to offer a fix for those affected.  

So, overall, I have to give WG high marks on the Dockyard 2.0 event.  They appear to have taken much of our feedback to heart after the debacle that was the first Dockyard, and I have to give credit where credit is due.   My opinion is that the more... vehement... critics of Dockyard 2.0 either had unrealistic expectations of what they could get for free, or were going to hate anything with the Dockyard label on it no matter what.

Hats off to Wargaming for getting this one right.  Here's hoping for more of the same going forward.  

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
8,476 battles

I enjoyed it immensely, and I've had the Odin for some time now because I opted to purchase the boost (8 directives for, what was it, 7k doubloons?). I only got to witness the spectacle of the PR debacle from afar, but it seems to me WG made a lot of much needed changes including better communication and reasonable objectives that can be completed within a mortal time frame. I hope this feature continues and we see more of these events down the road. 

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

Missions were easy. Prizes were great. I wouldn't play the Odin if it was free so no loss there.

• Cool 1

Banned
715 posts
1,003 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I bought it out the 1st morning (29K Doubloons) and then played through and completed each stage to get the Steel. Ended up with 4500 +450 Clan Bonus = 4950! :cap_like:

The event itself was as close to perfect as I have ever seen from WG. From fairness and reasonable tasks to rewards and compensation they did a fantastic job. I truly hope this is the standard moving forward in all things.

Is it too late too get the steel I didnt read into ?

[PVE]
Members
11,835 posts
24,499 battles
Just now, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

Is it too late too get the steel I didnt read into ?

Pretty much

[PVE]
Members
11,835 posts
24,499 battles
2 minutes ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

dern it

It is duplicate compensation for any phases you buy out with Doubloons and then complete by playing. Well the 18 you can get by playing; not the other 2 you have to buy anyway. Unless you are WAY behind you kind of missed the boat (pun intended :Smile_hiding:). Sorry man.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
1,595 posts
25,087 battles

I was on track to part with my precious few, freely-acquired doubloons for Odin, but in the late stages of considering her outfitting realized that Bismarck was the better boat for what I envisioned Odin as doing. Yes, 3500 doubloons is a GREAT deal for a premium tier 8 BB, but if another, free tier 8 with equal camo benefits and better firepower all 'round (yes, yes - except for torps) is already in your port, why drain those precious doubloons?  It'll be odd to pass up the great deal, but every time I feel a tinge of uneasiness about my decision, I'll take out 'marck and calm myself.

Edited by theLaalaa

Members
3,584 posts
12,963 battles

The dockyard UI in general is just a fancy loading bar marketing tool to me.

It looks kind of neat though.

The event, was pretty much like the other ones (minus PR); Im happy to get the graf. The Odin I will probably get with the left over doubloons, it's either that or name change a couple times. 

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
8,476 battles
14 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

I was on track to part with my precious few, freely-acquired doubloons for Odin, but in the late stages of considering her outfitting realized that Bismarck was the better boat for what I envisioned Odin as doing. Yes, 3500 doubloons is a GREAT deal for a premium tier 8 BB, but if another, free tier 8 with equal camo benefits and better firepower all 'round (yes, yes - except for torps) is already in your port, why drain those precious doubloons?  It'll be odd to pass up the great deal, but every time I feel a tinge of uneasiness about my decision, I'll take out 'marck and calm myself.

Yeah, i have the Tirpitz and I find myself greatly preferring that over the Odin. I don't think the Odin is bad per se, and torpedoes plus Hydro is a great combination, but the guns on the Odin are just anemic to the, admittedly cross-eyed, Tirpitz. I'm still glad I snagged the Odin for the price, but it's just going to end up a port queen (and to prevent it from dropping from an SC/special event crate!). 

[BRSI]
Members
76 posts
3,036 battles

I think the directives were at bit much, especially the second one. I have only one T8, a T7, and most T6s, and it was just a slow and painful grind. I play a few hours a day and I am still only on the third part. I am only going for Stage 10, not the whole way.

[GOB]
Members
2,054 posts

I'm finishing # 16 now. Planned on dubbing out the last 2

How did people do it with only buying 2 when the last ones aren't available to do yet?

[CO-OP]
Members
1,356 posts
23,919 battles
5 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I'm finishing # 16 now. Planned on dubbing out the last 2

How did people do it with only buying 2 when the last ones aren't available to do yet?

Each directive had 2 internal missions that rewarded a shipyard level.  Completing the overall directive gave an additional level.  So, completing all of the internal "level" missions and completing the overall directive for all 6 directives gives you a total of 18 levels.

[SEA-7]
Members
249 posts
5,135 battles

I’ve been happy with it. Two more directives to go before I get Odin. No cheating, I grinded everything. Great to get a free tier vi (fav tier) and the missions weren't hard. It requires consistently to play an hour a day more or less. Which for me with Covid heavily effecting my industries, is not a problem for me. If I was on my regular work schedule, I’m not sure I would have finished, but I def would have received graf spee without too much effort. Looking forward to a new brawling ship to captain train with and hopefully just have a good time with. I hope wg continues with this in the future. 

[WOLF9]
Members
655 posts
18,901 battles

I am in the same boat (pun intended) as @AdmiralThunder.  I bought all but 3 of the missions and got the Odin early.  Now I am completing the tasks for the Steel.  Getting closer to a certain ship I  have wanted for a long time.

I really enjoyed this dockyard event, especially the part where you could spend a little $$ and pick up some steel.

Look forward to future dockyard events similar to this in the future.