Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

Consumable variation suggestion for CV's

12 comments in this topic

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles

So just a thought, maybe not one people will like, who knows.

Right now one of the consumables with every plane squadron is calling in a fighter squadron. Useful, but not always necessary depending on the circumstances. I had a idea for an alternative one that people can opt to equip instead of the fighter one.

Smoke screen plane.

Basically a plane that flies in and lays a short term smoke screen. Provides a lot of options beyond just air denial and would be a fun and interesting support plane. Could get shot down like any other plans but couldn't shoot down attack craft.

Not sure how to make the mechanics work exactly or determining duration or area of effect. Just an idea.

Also would provide more effective ways for carriers to protect friendly destroyers from more than just rocket planes.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,520 posts

That is/was the plan for the old odd tier CVs.  To come back as an alternative line of even tiers and they would/will be support CVs.  Smoke was/is one idea they mentioned.

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

That is/was the plan for the old odd tier CVs.  To come back as alternative line of even tiers and they would/will be support CVs.  Smoke was/is one idea they mentioned.

I think it should just be a main staple of CV's as a whole. Support to the Battle group.

[KOBK]
Members
229 posts
4,036 battles

But you mean a smoke squadron like the dds smoke? or a curtain smoke? Its not a bad idea if its the first one, but if the second one it would need more work since fighters planes would still spot your allies

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles
3 minutes ago, Nabucodonosor21 said:

But you mean a smoke squadron like the dds smoke? or a curtain smoke? Its not a bad idea if its the first one, but if the second one it would need more work since fighters planes would still spot your allies

More like DD smoke. Covering a ship instead of being a wall.

[KOBK]
Members
229 posts
4,036 battles
40 minutes ago, otakuben said:

More like DD smoke. Covering a ship instead of being a wall.

It could be a great add to the game. would be nice to have other carrier lines whit this consumable

[TBB]
Members
616 posts
4,838 battles

I think it would be Cool as a very large smoke with short duration or a smaller one with a longer duration. 

However, it should definitely be replacing one of the fighter consumables, and there's the question of spotting, big issue right now. 

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles
2 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

I think it would be Cool as a very large smoke with short duration or a smaller one with a longer duration. 

However, it should definitely be replacing one of the fighter consumables, and there's the question of spotting, big issue right now. 

I think a large area short duration smoke would offer the greatest variety and not run the chance of breaking the game more.

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
365 posts
18,684 battles
7 hours ago, Burnsy said:

That is/was the plan for the old odd tier CVs.  To come back as an alternative line of even tiers and they would/will be support CVs.  Smoke was/is one idea they mentioned.

That is interesting,  would be cool to read about some general ideas.    I've thought about how a full support or partial support style CV re-design game play would work. 

Whether I thought a system would or would not work,   the one thing I couldn't figure out was how a CV player would ever get meaningful EXP.   (especially with a full support style CV,  debuff/knock out modules,  but do no damage at all.   So I would prefer a partial support CV,  where they do indirect damage,  no direct damage.)

[SPTR]
Members
3,870 posts
789 battles

I get the feeling GZ wouldn't get this option for reasons...

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
365 posts
18,684 battles
56 minutes ago, otakuben said:

I think a large area short duration smoke would offer the greatest variety and not run the chance of breaking the game more.

I would stick to a narrow and short to medium duration smoke.  Though I'm not sure this would make much difference in randoms,  as you'll need a team player CV.  That type of balance,  would lean toward competitive play,  though I've no idea if that player base cares for it.

Where it is useful, 

-would be obscuring your DD,  against the opposing CV or give it time to shoot down the planes,  or waste some of the CVs time if your DD AA is bad.

-escape route if a ship needs to retreat,  or provide additional cover to a cap advance.

The smoke will not help BBs,  as the narrowness would not help obscure it in a lot of situations or difficult to conceal.   For cruisers,  they can fit inside with a little room to spare.  But with lower duration and narrow smoke,  blind shots into smoke may be very effective.  You might get some salvos away from inside the smoke,  but the danger is quite high and defensive use is the sane option. (so the balance is that this smoke, generally is not good to use offensively.)

With DDs,  they have the speed,  great manoeuvrability,  small profile to get into and use the smoke.  They can use the extra time from the CV smoke, to conceal and position themselves for attack.  Before laying down their own long duration smoke.   Obviously some co-ordination is required,  and the DD can also use it as an escape option,  and still have their own smoke as backup.

It deploys as a wall,  rather than a trail from start to finish that is the regular smoke.  The issue of outrunning your smoke is less of a concern.  

So this is a CV ability/plane,  that generally supports friendly DDs.  And doesn't really help the other ship classes much.

My 2c.     

Sign in to follow this