You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Special Commander effect question.

16 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts

So I'm playing my Ostergotland grinding Jerzy to 19pts for my Halland. 

Like most of my Special commanders I activated the Flare option in the personalize section so a flare goes up when one of his talents is activated.

So here's my question.  Until I started playing these DDs with no smoke I never thought about the fact that if I get , maybe the torp reload activated and the flare goes up.. does that Flare give away my position?? 

These DDs depend on stealth MUCH more than the rest of them due to no smoke and it would be silly to give away my position that way.  

I DO like the flare mostly because it lets me know in the heat of battle that it has been activated.  

Anyone know the answer to this one.

Col Standing by!

[WPORT]
Members
5,370 posts
10,403 battles

You'll see the flare, for sure.

I expect everyone else will, too.

Might want to disable it.  Unless you want to advertise.  :-)

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
2,272 posts
12,190 battles
9 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Like most of my Special commanders I activated the Flare option in the personalize section so a flare goes up when one of his talents is activated.

So here's my question.  Until I started playing these DDs with no smoke I never thought about the fact that if I get , maybe the torp reload activated and the flare goes up.. does that Flare give away my position?? 

These DDs depend on stealth MUCH more than the rest of them due to no smoke and it would be silly to give away my position that way.  

I DO like the flare mostly because it lets me know in the heat of battle that it has been activated.  

Col Standing by!

Based on the other captains with specials (I do not have the Pan-Euro), I would have to say yes.

But all they will see is the flare, your ship will remain invisible as long as you are not in spotting range of anything.

Other then the flare, there is nothing else to indicate to the other team an ability was activated. They would have to be looking in the right area for the flare to be seen.

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts
12 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

12 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Based on the other captains with specials (I do not have the Pan-Euro), I would have to say yes.

But all they will see is the flare, your ship will remain invisible as long as you are not in spotting range of anything.

Other then the flare, there is nothing else to indicate to the other team an ability was activated. They would have to be looking in the right area for the flare to be seen.

Well that's it!  No flares on DDs with no smoke.  I wish there were some sound that would let you know as an option.  When I am all in it I don't keep count on how many planes I kill or torp hits I get.  Getting old!  I'm just tryin' to shoot sht and stay alive!  Not like these youngsters that can talk on streams, answer questions  and type messages AND play at the same time.. I hate them!  ( Lookin at you @Hapa_Fodder ) 

Thanx again for the info!

Col Out

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,117 posts
22,432 battles
14 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Well that's it!  No flares on DDs with no smoke.  I wish there were some sound that would let you know as an option.  When I am all in it I don't keep count on how many planes I kill or torp hits I get.  Getting old!  I'm just tryin' to shoot sht and stay alive!  Not like these youngsters that can talk on streams, answer questions  and type messages AND play at the same time.. I hate them!  ( Lookin at you @Hapa_Fodder ) 

Thanx again for the info!

Col Out

I do recall reading (this was way back when Yamamoto was 1st introduced) that only red players that have you spotted already will be able to see the fireworks when they go off.

That was many eons ago so that may have changed but I doubt it.

I think your safe w/it but you may wanna clarify w/ @Hapa_Fodder if he replies to how much us old fogeys hate him :-)

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Thanks 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,488 posts
13,882 battles
50 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Col Standing by!

@IfYouSeeKhaos thanks for the tag.

Only you and your team mates see the flare. Unless you are spotted by the enemy then anyone that can see you will see the flare. But it DOES NOT give your position away.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 4

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts
3 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Only you and your team mates see the flare. Unless you are spotted by the enemy then anyone that can see you will see the flare. But it DOES NOT give your position away.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

Thanx !! Hapa and thx @IfYouSeeKhaos .  I guess  I have to hate him a little less now?? :cap_yes:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
6,117 posts
22,432 battles
5 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Mahalo,

-Hapa

& TY for the response :-)

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,117 posts
22,432 battles
1 minute ago, Col_Nasty said:

Thanx !! Hapa and thx @IfYouSeeKhaos .  I guess  I have to hate him a little less now?? :cap_yes:

:-)

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
602 posts
8,263 battles
24 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Mahalo,

-Hapa

He's actually fooling you here.   When the flare goes up, the red team sees a giant word "DINNER" appear in the sky with a glaring arrow pointing directly at your ship. Also there's a loud "dinner bell" sound that is sure to capture the red team players' attention so they won't miss out!   :cap_horn::Smile_veryhappy:

Okay, I am obviously kidding though the notion does tickle me!  :Smile_great:

• Haha 1

[REVY]
Members
2,272 posts
12,190 battles
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

I wish there were some sound that would let you know as an option. 

while there is no sound (other then the whoosh of the flare) there is a pop-up on the screen indicating what ability had just activated.

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts
50 minutes ago, Altwar said:

He's actually fooling you here.   When the flare goes up, the red team sees a giant word "DINNER" appear in the sky with a glaring arrow pointing directly at your ship. Also there's a loud "dinner bell" sound that is sure to capture the red team players' attention so they won't miss out!   :cap_horn::Smile_veryhappy:

Funny as that is , it's EXACTLY what I envision when Radared.  :cap_rambo:

• Cool 2

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
602 posts
8,263 battles
17 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Funny as that is , it's EXACTLY what I envision when Radared.  :cap_rambo:

It's actually the reason why I shut off the flare for my Russian special commander (wasn't  sure if it was seen or not).  I get blapped off the map enough that it is how I envision it too!

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Lol yeah I can just see it now, DD tries hiding in smoke thinking the enemy will not locate them in the smoke, then the flare goes up... :Smile_veryhappy:

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

Really wish the popup told you WHAT happened, instead of the generic name of the skill.  With so many skills on different captains, its hard to remember.

• Cool 1