Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

First Look: Tier VIII Premium American Cruiser USS Anchorage

51 comments in this topic

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,661 posts
12,358 battles

A new, premium American heavy cruiser approaches. What's the deal with USS Anchorage? Let's take a look and find out.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 1

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,084 battles

So, basically a Buffalo that gets an opportunity to beat up on T6 ships.

Sadly, playing Buffalo isn't enough of a noteworthy experience to make Anchorage appealing (at least to me).

• Cool 2

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
602 posts
8,267 battles

USN tier 8 cruiser with torpedoes?  *heavy pant*

[SVF]
Members
1,702 posts
2,238 battles
1 hour ago, Altwar said:

Don't get too excited.  Only 1 launcher a side, and the launch angles are bad: 50 degrees off the bow when firing forward and 51 degrees off the aft when firing backwards.

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,084 battles
1 minute ago, landcollector said:

Don't get too excited.  Only 1 launcher a side, and the launch angles are bad: 50 degrees off the bow when firing forward and 51 degrees off the aft when firing backwards.

Pretty much.  Either a yolo tool or a deterrent for advancing ships at best.

On the other hand, while the game definitely doesn't need more smoke firing cruisers, does this justify bringing Kutuzov back for regular sale?

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,697 posts

Heavy cruiser. 

Smoke, spotter (or fighter or hydro), 10.5km torpedoes. 

Dang. 

Too bad it has Wyoming AA mounts... 

[ARGSY]
Members
19,972 posts
14,258 battles
14 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Pretty much.  Either a yolo tool or a deterrent for advancing ships at best.

That can count for quite a lot. US heavy cruisers currently available are characterised by their total vulnerability to drive-by attacks, if you can pull it off without being gutted by US 8-inch super-heavy on the way in. This adds a new dimension to such attacks, particularly in co-op if MM mirrors an Anchorage on the bot team. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,356 posts
15,768 battles

Hmm.... interesting. 

[WOLFG]
Members
9,546 posts
8,473 battles

Looks like it could have the potential to be a top tier bully.  Torpedoes give it the option to push around and run down undergunned BBs.

Members
558 posts
5,048 battles

Don't love recycled assets, lack of historical significance (that I could find, don't kill me historians), and bad AA.

But it's got some flavour that you don't find in the mainline CAs which I like. 

Edited by exray0

[NUWES]
Members
3,120 posts
10,653 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Looks like it could have the potential to be a top tier bully.  Torpedoes give it the option to push around and run down undergunned BBs.

It should be able to bully T8 BBs too. About half of the T8 BBs can't overmatch its bow or midships armor if angled properly. The big thing is it doesn't really have a lot of torps. What it has won't sink a BB on its own and the reload on the main battery is nearly at battleship levels. Its alpha with guns and torpedoes is unreal though. 

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts
3 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I have the same feeling.

He advises it is similar to Buffalo, but looks like a nice ship, with some interesting features.

It looks like it will worth.

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

The torp launch angles look atrocious, but that's what torping on the kite while undetected is for.  That is exactly what a number of IJN CAs have to do, Myoko being a fantastic example.  She doesn't get the concealment of High Tier IJN CAs and she's modest in that department.  She still has the long range torps.  So, be undetected, kite, and chuck torps into the face of pushing reds, hope for the best.  Maybe you get lucky, but you give them something else to ponder.

Honestly, Anchorage looks really strong but WG is putting some interesting "cons" to her.  If left unmolested she's going to dish out more hurt than Baltimore.

But Baltimore sails better, can fight bow on and has good reload for the gun size (Anchorage will be trash in a bow on fight with that 15.5 seconds reload).

Baltimore is a Radar Cruiser.

Baltimore has much better AA.

AP Bomber-capable CVs would be looking for an opportunity to hammer Anchorage, that AA looks bad.  As soon as I saw SeaRaptor's image of Anchorage, I saw the near-total absence of the 127mm DP guns such as found on practically all High Tier USN BBs and Cruisers.  The Mk24 of those guns?  Those aren't good AA guns.

reDwh94.jpgUHWgHig.jpg

The ship is lacking in AA guns, unlike every other USN Cruiser which are typically bristling with them.  No massive amount of 40mm Bofors to cut up aircraft at mid range.

The gun angles look pretty bad, too.  If Anchorage is going to try to use all 4 turrets, she's going to show a lot of sides.

That said, Baltimore concealment, Buffalo firepower, Fletcher torps, USN DD Smoke is a powerful combination.  The smoke will mask a number of issues.  This thing is going to also have the prospect of beating up on Tier VI-VII ships (hello California :Smile_teethhappy:).

I found Anchorage in Fitting Tool, this is what I'd lean to build her for if taking her to Randoms.  The one that's up in the air is whether to take Hydro or Spotting Aircraft.  Normally I'd take Hydro with all Smoke Camping Cruisers, but 15.6km max gun range in a Tier X game for a Cruiser is scary, even with Smoke.  You won't always have that smoke ready to save you.

She should be pretty decent in Tier X, safer to use than Buffalo herself because of smoke.  Then again, Buffalo has Slot 6 upgrade access which the player can use to customize her better for use, i.e. more range or faster reload.  But if Top Tier?  Farming Tier VI-VII ships with 12 Freedom Shells?  Stronk.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[XXX]
Members
520 posts
923 battles

Basically she looks like the USN version of the Cheshire only MUCH better because she's got a crapload of 203s instead of just 6 234mm guns.

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles
6 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Basically she looks like the USN version of the Cheshire only MUCH better because she's got a crapload of 203s instead of just 6 234mm guns.

WoWS has a lengthy history of "moar is gud" to alleviate gun problems.  Not to mention USN CA shells are pretty well rounded.  Fair HE and Fire Chance, while still having improved AP bounce angles.  In addition, Anchorage will be using the SHS AP shells as found on Baltimore thru Des Moines.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-K-]
2,661 posts
12,358 battles
2 hours ago, Yandere_Roon said:

This is possibly not a bad comparison, except that Cheshire has a heal and usable AA.  Anchorage's main battery is FAR superior to Cheshire's.

[-K-]
2,661 posts
12,358 battles
7 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Sadly, playing Buffalo isn't enough of a noteworthy experience to make Anchorage appealing (at least to me).

This is my first thought as well.  I even took my Buffalo out for a couple of games yesterday while working on this script to refresh my memory.  I had one solid game where I got pummeled down to 10k HP early and managed to pick up a Dreadnought, and another where I got slapped off the board in about 3 minutes flat.  

It kind of made me wish I had the smoke, I'll say that much.

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,084 battles
11 hours ago, SeaRaptor said:

This is my first thought as well.  I even took my Buffalo out for a couple of games yesterday while working on this script to refresh my memory.  I had one solid game where I got pummeled down to 10k HP early and managed to pick up a Dreadnought, and another where I got slapped off the board in about 3 minutes flat.  

It kind of made me wish I had the smoke, I'll say that much.

You really have to wonder how much utility that smoke will have at high tiers, though. 

Sure, it's long duration American smoke, but with no hydro available and omnipresent radar at high tiers, how many times will you effectively be able to camp and use the full smoke charge to farm?

This is likely going to be one of those ships that struggles as bottom tier and excels heavily when top tier.

Edited by Ace_04

Beta Testers
893 posts
3,433 battles
14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

WoWS has a lengthy history of "moar is gud" to alleviate gun problems.  Not to mention USN CA shells are pretty well rounded.  Fair HE and Fire Chance, while still having improved AP bounce angles.  In addition, Anchorage will be using the SHS AP shells as found on Baltimore thru Des Moines.

More guns is a big deal. It's the main reason IRL the USN stopped with 16".

An example is the upcoming Pommern (ex-Ludendorf). H-class with Bismarck guns at T9, but 12 of them. WG has given it a 33s reload and it still has the highest normal DPM of T9 battleships. It's more dangerous to many targets/situations than the H-class proper. Or most other T9 BBs for that matter.

[PVE]
Members
11,777 posts
24,397 battles
19 hours ago, Altwar said:

Not just any torps but 4 p/ side of Fletcher's 10.5km 19k damage torps AND it gets smoke on top of it. WG where do I place my early access order? Sign me up!

mine.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,697 posts
50 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

You really have to wonder how much utility that smoke will have at high tiers, though. 

Sure, it's long duration American smoke, but with no hydro available and omnipresent radar at high tiers, how many times will you effectively be able to camp and use the full smoke charge to farm?

This is likely going to be one of those ships that struggles as bottom tier and excels heavily when top tier.

If it has someone to spot for it, it's going to be able to sit back outside of radar range. There's also the option to run the spotter instead of hydro.

So it's not in the same situation as most DDs, having to get into the other team's radar coverage to deal damage.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
19,972 posts
14,258 battles
40 minutes ago, BlackAngelCom said:

WG has given it a 33s reload

After driving the Ignis Purgatio and liking it, 33s is going to feel right at home. Suddenly this rate of fire nerf doesn't seem so unbearable.

35 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Not just any torps but 4 p/ side of Fletcher's 10.5km 19k damage torps

Not that you can do anything with that range in co-op, unless RNGesus blesses you. The torp alpha, on the other hand... :Smile_trollface:

[INTEL]
Members
13,033 posts
35,949 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

After driving the Ignis Purgatio and liking it, 33s is going to feel right at home. Suddenly this rate of fire nerf doesn't seem so unbearable.

... :Smile_trollface:

And it is T9 so you can mount the reload module....

[SVF]
Members
1,702 posts
2,238 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

And it is T9 so you can mount the reload module....

...Anchorage is tier *8*, so you actually can't.

[-K-]
2,661 posts
12,358 battles
4 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

You do have hydro available in that first consumable slot.

The radar is an issue, of course.  You have to judge that in every game you play, same as if you were a destroyer.  There's a reason that I don't think Kutuzov is all that bad anymore, personally: 12km radar is everywhere and 7.7km detection in smoke on a ship with no radar means that Kutuzov can get pushed effectively by a team with half a brain.

Sign in to follow this