Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Midshipman_Hornblower

Nürnberg - Hydro Mod?

6 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,840 battles

Has anyone tried Hydroacoustic Search Mod 1 on the Nürnberg?  I'm thinking of trying it, but I'm a little concerned.  I have Engine Room Protection in that slot right now.  It's been a long time since I first got this ship, but I seem to remember that without engine room protection her engine/rudder were rather fragile.  I've got a 19-pt captain on her, with PM but without LS.  I'd prefer not to respec him.  My current setup is working, but it seems sort of a shame not to take maximum advantage of that wonderful German hydro.  Any more experienced Nürnberg drivers have thoughts on this?

On a related question...I'm thinking Nürnberg may be the best option available in my port for the upcoming CB season.  For CB, I'm leaning towards taking DFAA and dropping hydro.  Based on last season, I'm thinking CVs will be common and DDs, not so much.  Of course, if experience shows otherwise, I can easily go back to hydro.  Thoughts on this?  Would you give up that super hydro for DFAA?  My captain has BFT, so that would give the DFAA a bit of a boost, but still, not taking hydro in a German CL just sorta feels...wrong.

[EQRN]
Members
2,030 posts
17,490 battles

If there is such a thing as a “pushing cruiser”, the Nurnberg ain’t it.  If there is a selection of cruisers for me to shoot at, the Nurnberg is at the top of the list because it is so easy to send to the next dimension.  So hydro isn’t always a thing, but being shot at and losing rudder/engine is. 

I ran the hydro mod on the Perth for awhile and found that often the extended duration was longer than needed which pushed out the cool down, which meant it wasn’t ready again for when I wanted it next.

Now for the Lo Yang, definitely run the hydro mod - it was fun to say the least how many DDs this past Ranked Sprint apparently didn’t know about Lo Yangs gimmick.

Edited by FrodoFraggin

Members
130 posts
5,928 battles

I never play CB but in my opinion nurnberg probably not the best choice for CB snce it can be deleted easily and it'll eat alot of damage..I have nurnberg and never touch it for a long time because of its armor..

Members
927 posts
10,236 battles

I actually enjoyed Nurnberg when grinding her originally, and even though I kept her after researching Roon, I stopped playing her in Randoms after her captain moved up the line.  I did take on a lower-point captain and play Nurnberg regularly in Operations, where she does very well (perhaps my favorite ship to take into Killer Whale).  Her captain is up to 13-points now (PT,PM; AR,EM; DE; CE) so I took her into a Random battle this week, and boy the whole "everyone knows Nurnberg is really squishy" meme came right back.  I definitely could have used some additional AA, as the battle came right down to the wire; we only won on points because the clock ran out while the red CV had me spotted, and the red Gneisenau missed his last shot (he had taken 3/4 of my health early in the battle).  I think it is back to Operations for this ship!

I do have the special HSM1 in slot 2, but in the current Random meta it is probably not as useful as the normal ERP, since as pointed out earlier, Nurnberg is not really an "up close and personal" kind of cruiser.  And the extended hydro is really not terribly useful in operations (you know when the torps are coming, and can time a regular-length hydro for them), so I would probably be better off swapping for ERP.

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,840 battles
7 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

I actually enjoyed Nurnberg when grinding her originally, and even though I kept her after researching Roon, I stopped playing her in Randoms after her captain moved up the line.  I did take on a lower-point captain and play Nurnberg regularly in Operations, where she does very well (perhaps my favorite ship to take into Killer Whale).  Her captain is up to 13-points now (PT,PM; AR,EM; DE; CE) so I took her into a Random battle this week, and boy the whole "everyone knows Nurnberg is really squishy" meme came right back.  I definitely could have used some additional AA, as the battle came right down to the wire; we only won on points because the clock ran out while the red CV had me spotted, and the red Gneisenau missed his last shot (he had taken 3/4 of my health early in the battle).  I think it is back to Operations for this ship!

I do have the special HSM1 in slot 2, but in the current Random meta it is probably not as useful as the normal ERP, since as pointed out earlier, Nurnberg is not really an "up close and personal" kind of cruiser.  And the extended hydro is really not terribly useful in operations (you know when the torps are coming, and can time a regular-length hydro for them), so I would probably be better off swapping for ERP.

Yeah, you're probably right, and I was sorta leaning this way already.  As everyone has pointed out Nürnberg's armor is pretty "soft".  Personally, I don't actually mind that.  I mean, the key to playing MOST cruisers is "don't get hit", and that's exactly how I play Nürnberg.  Stay out at range, where I have time to dodge, WASD like mad, and always keep at least one eye on my PT indicator.  If somebody's aiming at me, I'd better be turning...frantically.  I've had a lot of success with that style.  Of course, at that kind of range, you don't often have any use for hydro.  Hydro can be useful later in the game, but by that time, assuming you're still alive, there are many fewer targets for those nasty CVs to pick on, so that's also when you tend to need your AA worst.  

I'm thinking for now I'll stick with my current set up.  I'll probably start out running DFAA in place of hydro for clan battles, till I see how many CVs I'm encountering.  I can always go back to hydro if there are fewer CVs out there than I expect.

Sign in to follow this