You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

The highs and the lows of random battles.

25 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles

The low came in a battle I was playing in my Z-23 last night. I was playing hide and seek with a Black around a rock-bedecked C cap and doing a pretty good job of not getting thoroughly reamed, I thought, but we had TWO radar cruisers a stone's throw from the cap - hiding behind a rock - and NEITHER of them would attempt to get closer to use their radar. Despite me asking for it. Despite there being cover closer to the cap. You would think anyone who'd ground their way up to the Seattle would be able to pick out the words SEATTLE, RADAR, C CAP and understand what needed to be done? Said Seattle player then appeared to spend most of the battle with a large rock positioned between him and any enemy he might conceivably fire at, and what could have been a close win eventually turned into a roll-over loss because neither his radar nor his guns ever seemed to be in play when a DD kill at a critical juncture might have turned the outcome around. 

This display of cowardice and incapacity was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in high-tier Random play in a very long time.

The high came in one of the Random battles I fought in the Rhein last night. A Clemson was charging me, and a very brave and thoughtful Myoko Myogi player interposed his ship between the charging Clemson and my CV. As it happened, one of the torpedoes I was dropping in desperation managed by the hand of RNGesus to clip the Clemson and send him off to seal-clubbers' Valhalla... but that was not guaranteed, and oh boy, you have no idea how good I felt when that BB player swung his bow in to try to cut the Clemson off.

He got thanked in chat and complimented for that. 

Thanks to @Ares1967 for finding the misprint. It was of course the Tier 4 BB Myogi; the Myoko is the Tier 7 cruiser. D'oh!

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 10
  • Meh 2

[CK5]
Members
1,371 posts
14,304 battles

I have no idea why someone would give the OP's post a down vote.  The truth must have offended someone.    

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
Just now, PrairiePlayer said:

I have no idea why someone would give the OP's post a down vote.

As a first guess, it's because I'm a CV player and a low-tier BB captain thought it worth his while to risk his ship to save mine. I sort of felt bad about nailing the Clemson, actually; it diminished the significance of what he'd set out to do. 

[INTEL]
Members
1,767 posts
15,649 battles
36 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The low came in a battle I was playing in my Z-23 last night. I was playing hide and seek with a Black around a rock-bedecked C cap and doing a pretty good job of not getting thoroughly reamed, I thought, but we had TWO radar cruisers a stone's throw from the cap - hiding behind a rock - and NEITHER of them would attempt to get closer to use their radar. Despite me asking for it. Despite there being cover closer to the cap. You would think anyone who'd ground their way up to the Seattle would be able to pick out the words SEATTLE, RADAR, C CAP and understand what needed to be done? Said Seattle player then appeared to spend most of the battle with a large rock positioned between him and any enemy he might conceivably fire at, and what could have been a close win eventually turned into a roll-over loss because neither his radar nor his guns ever seemed to be in play when a DD kill at a critical juncture might have turned the outcome around. 

This display of cowardice and incapacity was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in high-tier Random play in a very long time.

The high came in one of the Random battles I fought in the Rhein last night. A Clemson was charging me, and a very brave and thoughtful Myoko player interposed his ship between the charging Clemson and my CV. As it happened, one of the torpedoes I was dropping in desperation managed by the hand of RNGesus to clip the Clemson and send him off to seal-clubbers' Valhalla... but that was not guaranteed, and oh boy, you have no idea how good I felt when that BB player swung his bow in to try to cut the Clemson off.

He got thanked in chat and complimented for that. 

Hmmm. Myoko T7 IJN cruiser. Clemson T4 USN DD that cant get into a T6 match normally. Fail div or brain fart?

Anyway. Two lows and a lo/hi in the past two days.

Yugo on Shatter... oh how I hate this map... green team "must social distance from the caps while driving broadside in the open". Red team "social distancing is for wussies. Oh look, a shooting gallery."

Roughly 8m30sec from beginning to end. My damage. Zero. My shell hits. One shatter. No resets, no spotting damage, no cap points. My position in the results? 10th... let's see, i accomplished nothing and yet....

GK on Sea of Fortune. My PR for the match was 8... let's leave it at that.

Prinz Eugen on Shatter (have I mentioned I hate this map?) dived with @ClassicLibin Odin. Red team push in get caps, green team lets flank on the map edges while totally ignoring a free C cap and chase the CV. Green Mass decides to intercept a pair of pushing Vlads and a PE by driving out broadside in front of them... cause that's always effective... but in this case I was perfectly positioned to intervene, panicking both Vlads by appearing under 4km on their port flank. Torp strikes on both for a Dev and a Double, forcing the red PE to switch his torp strike to me rather than the Mass. I die, the Mass finishes the PE. Shortly after Classic is contesting A vs a Wooster and an Amagi. Not good, except they both seemed unaware Odin has torps. He gets a Dev on the Wooster and a Flesh Wound on the Amagi. That's effectively a 5- 2 trade for our Div. Our Zao finally discovers the C cap hes been within a Km of for the past 7ish minutes. Red teams back has broken and we win. Satisfying and Frustrating.

This was a T10 match. The C cap was available for free for most of the match. We had a pair of Yamatos, a Zao, and a Kag to take it at any time. Instead they allowed the Z23 and PE to finally take it uncontested about 10 minutes into the match. On the red team's part the Vlad's  and PE had zero excuse for not knowing I was just around the corner, the Wooster had radared me less than 2 min earlier and I had been hydroing them for over 2 minutes. Not to.mention I had been blasting away at the Amagi, dived with the Vlads, every time he got spotted. And for God's sake, if you're driving a Wooster why on earth would you intentionally rush into brawling range of any BB, while being oblivious to its capabilities.?

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
10 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Hmmm. Myoko T7 IJN cruiser. Clemson T4 USN DD that cant get into a T6 match normally. Fail div or brain fart?

Brain fart. Good pick. Corrected.

11 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

And for God's sake, if you're driving a Wooster why on earth would you intentionally rush into brawling range of any BB

Only in co-op (or Randoms in desperation), only with the intention of ramming, and only against a BB that is known not to possess torpedoes. Otherwise stay away from that s***.

[INTEL]
Members
3,050 posts
16,750 battles
58 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Prinz Eugen on Shatter (have I mentioned I hate this map?) dived with @ClassicLibin Odin. Red team push in get caps, green team lets flank on the map edges while totally ignoring a free C cap and chase the CV. Green Mass decides to intercept a pair of pushing Vlads and a PE by driving out broadside in front of them... cause that's always effective... but in this case I was perfectly positioned to intervene, panicking both Vlads by appearing under 4km on their port flank. Torp strikes on both for a Dev and a Double, forcing the red PE to switch his torp strike to me rather than the Mass. I die, the Mass finishes the PE. Shortly after Classic is contesting A vs a Wooster and an Amagi. Not good, except they both seemed unaware Odin has torps. He gets a Dev on the Wooster and a Flesh Wound on the Amagi. That's effectively a 5- 2 trade for our Div. Our Zao finally discovers the C cap hes been within a Km of for the past 7ish minutes. Red teams back has broken and we win. Satisfying and Frustrating.

This was a T10 match. The C cap was available for free for most of the match. We had a pair of Yamatos, a Zao, and a Kag to take it at any time. Instead they allowed the Z23 and PE to finally take it uncontested about 10 minutes into the match. On the red team's part the Vlad's  and PE had zero excuse for not knowing I was just around the corner, the Wooster had radared me less than 2 min earlier and I had been hydroing them for over 2 minutes. Not to.mention I had been blasting away at the Amagi, dived with the Vlads, every time he got spotted. And for God's sake, if you're driving a Wooster why on earth would you intentionally rush into brawling range of any BB, while being oblivious to its capabilities.?

I have some work to do with OBS so the video has some issues but here's the Odin v Worcester and Amagi duel

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
1 minute ago, ClassicLib said:

I have some work to do with OBS so the video has some issues

Off topic (but hey, it's my thread so I don't care), I think you and I might have something in common here. :Smile_trollface:  

I'd be making a lot more vids if the frame-rate weren't being a thorough pain in the posterior. 

[INTEL]
Members
3,050 posts
16,750 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Off topic (but hey, it's my thread so I don't care), I think you and I might have something in common here. :Smile_trollface:  

I'd be making a lot more vids if the frame-rate weren't being a thorough pain in the posterior. 

I go through bouts of getting it to work and then doing a short video like this one only to find out it no longer works.

The most frustrating challenge is making the sound work consistently.  But that's mostly my own fault as I have speakers, a headset and Bluetooth headsets configured.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
24 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

I go through bouts of getting it to work and then doing a short video like this one only to find out it no longer works.

The most frustrating challenge is making the sound work consistently.  But that's mostly my own fault as I have speakers, a headset and Bluetooth headsets configured.

Do you also have bouts of feeling that all you'd need is for a successful WOWS streamer/YouTuber to be able to sit down at your machine for an hour or so and all your problems would either be (a) over or (b) correctly diagnosed?

[A refers to "Oh, you just had this setting and that setting wrong. I changed it for these reasons and it will work now." B usually refers to some issue with hardware insufficiency (not enough RAM, Graphics card too weak) or the internet connection. I can't remember if the replay file has to reference the server, or whether the .exe file can interpret it locally.]

I've heard the saying that "an hour of conversation is worth a volume of correspondence" (source: "The Rules of the Game: Jutland and British Naval Command", by Andrew Gordon).

Never more true than in IT, and particularly with respect to the ability of benign help (e.g. hospital IT staff) to take over your machine and work with the software aspects as if they were sitting there. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[INTEL]
Members
3,050 posts
16,750 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Do you also have bouts of feeling that all you'd need is for a successful WOWS streamer/YouTuber to be able to sit down at your machine for an hour or so and all your problems would either be (a) over or (b) correctly diagnosed?

[A refers to "Oh, you just had this setting and that setting wrong. I changed it for these reasons and it will work now." B usually refers to some issue with hardware insufficiency (not enough RAM, Graphics card too weak) or the internet connection. I can't remember if the replay file has to reference the server, or whether the .exe file can interpret it locally.]

I've heard the saying that "an hour of conversation is worth a volume of correspondence" (source: "The Rules of the Game: Jutland and British Naval Command", by Andrew Gordon).

Never more true than in IT, and particularly with respect to the ability of benign help (e.g. hospital IT staff) to take over your machine and work with the software aspects as if they were sitting there. 

It certainly makes progress go a lot quicker.  For me, true understanding comes from doing it myself without needing step by step guidance.  But I have to do something often enough to learn most of the exceptions and imprint the process in my puny brain.  I don't do videos often enough for the imprint to work well enough to repeat the process.  With OBS and Warships it's a combination of changes to my Warships settings (to tweak something) and additions to my PC over time that taxes the CPU or GPU with background tasks.  I had OBS working and didn't change anything but I have made changes to Warships and my system since the last time I did a video.  It could be that OBS wasn't optimized to begin with and small system changes have pushed it past a tipping point and further optimization of OBS will correct it.  So, yes, Someone who knows what they're doing would probably make short work of my problem.

I'm an IT manager and my training involves showing someone how to do it, give them a new one to do by themselves and answer their questions as they encounter problems.  Finally, have them teach someone else to do it.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
7 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

For me, true understanding comes from doing it myself without needing step by step guidance.

Agree completely. That's why I want to (jokingly) kidnap an experienced hand at the game and bombard them with more "why?" questions than a two-year-old: "I know what you did and that it works now, but WHY did that change make the difference that it did?"

Members
3,752 posts
23,292 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There are a lot of players now that don't know how or when to use radar. I've had multiple randoms where I've asked someone for radar and they had no clue it was on the frigging ship. Even told them which key to press and they insisted they had no radar.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
1 minute ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

There are a lot of players now that don't know how or when to use radar. I've had multiple randoms where I've asked someone for radar and they had no clue it was on the frigging ship. Even told them which key to press and they insisted they had no radar.

:fish_palm:

You'd think that in over a hundred thousand XP worth of battles in the Cleveland, they might once have asked themselves "What does this button do?"

Two years ago, with a whole bunch of people getting the Tier 6 Cleveland they might only just have unlocked and bought abruptly kicked up to Tier 8, there was an excuse for not realizing what their ship could now do. But that excuse is long gone.

[INTEL]
Members
3,050 posts
16,750 battles
11 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

:fish_palm:

You'd think that in over a hundred thousand XP worth of battles in the Cleveland, they might once have asked themselves "What does this button do?"

Two years ago, with a whole bunch of people getting the Tier 6 Cleveland they might only just have unlocked and bought abruptly kicked up to Tier 8, there was an excuse for not realizing what their ship could now do. But that excuse is long gone.

I think players know how to press the button and what it does.  I think many lack understanding of how to use it to the team's advantage.  They reserve it for use when it benefits themselves and that's when they can shoot the target.  If it's behind an island they don't even think about their teammates being able to engage and they save it.  I'll use radar if I think my team will use it and even then the sad fact is that I almost never use all of my radar charges in a battle.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,940 posts
8,200 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Blame WG for making hiding behind islands such a necessary tactic for some ships.

You can't make people not hide, only disincentivise it by making the alternative not much more dangerous.

Back in the day, said cruisers still might not have employed radar, but would have been more aggressive, and probably ended up proxy spotting the DD lol.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Blame WG for making hiding behind islands such a necessary tactic for some ships.

Sorry, no. WG is blameless here. I'm talking as much about ships already hiding behind a rock within radar range of a smoke cloud and either refusing or simply not comprehending an explicit request to light up radar so that somebody with the shot can take it. Or not poking their nose out several km behind a destroyer asking for fire support, risking themselves in the open or behind a smoke cloud that would provide a concealment benefit, who already has anything that could immediately counterfire the radar cruiser in sight.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLFG]
Members
28,940 posts
8,200 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Sorry, no. WG is blameless here. I'm talking as much about ships already hiding behind a rock within radar range of a smoke cloud and either refusing or simply not comprehending an explicit request to light up radar so that somebody with the shot can take it. Or not poking their nose out several km behind a destroyer asking for fire support, risking themselves in the open or behind a smoke cloud that would provide a concealment benefit, who already has anything that could immediately counterfire the radar cruiser in sight.

Maybe "blame" is too strong of a word.

Just to clarify, WG has created a game where use of cover is needed by many ships to avoid blappage, and the risk involved with not doing so can be high, if you don't know how to manage it. That's far as moving to a better position to use the radar.

As far as not using it when already in range, could it be some combination of cooldown and/or not having radar due to carrying a spotter instead?

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
5 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

As far as not using it when already in range, could it be some combination of cooldown and/or not having radar due to carrying a spotter instead?

In that case, a reply like "cooldown X seconds", "all gone" or "sorry no radar; took spotter" would immediately suffice.

[GOB]
Members
2,048 posts
3 hours ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I have no idea why someone would give the OP's post a down vote.  The truth must have offended someone.    

I learned within the first month here that there are really damaged people here that will downvote a sunny day with happy kittens just to vent their own misery on the world.  WG likes it though. I know this forum software and it's just a CLICK to connect your Screen name to the reaction just as fast as you set the number you can use daily.  Adults woudl be PROUD to own their comments and reactions to posts. This is the only place on the net that I see where your reactions to a post are anon. It's why they do it.  They can do it anon.  Cowards are like that.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
415 posts

I think a LOT of players (random games) wait for other people to win it for them.  A LOT of very good players who shall not be named sit back and do nothing but fishbone kills and ignore objectives.  How many times have you seen the HE spammer going on how good he/she did explaining they had 100k+ damage but did NOTHING to help take a point or help out a poor DD trying in vain to do so.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,940 posts
8,200 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In that case, a reply like "cooldown X seconds", "all gone" or "sorry no radar; took spotter" would immediately suffice.

Fair enough.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

As a first guess, it's because I'm a CV player and a low-tier BB captain thought it worth his while to risk his ship to save mine. I sort of felt bad about nailing the Clemson, actually; it diminished the significance of what he'd set out to do. 

There are some good guys like the one you told us.

Particularly sometimes i am saved for some brave guys!

[PVE]
Members
4,253 posts
18,541 battles
34 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Maybe "blame" is too strong of a word.

Just to clarify, WG has created a game where use of cover is needed by many ships to avoid blappage, and the risk involved with not doing so can be high, if you don't know how to manage it. That's far as moving to a better position to use the radar.

Or, in a few cases where I asked why, the answer was that it was kept til "he needed radar" for points himself......... Saved Radar for his use.  The FPS type "all for one and one for all..........and, more for me !!"  And, as a clan mate did a few years ago now, on Discord in a Random battle with a division: and, the conversation went:

"Hey Hunter !!!  Yooo Hooo, Hunter, ah, RADAR would be a real "thingy" right about NOW......"

"Radar???  What Radar....................errrrrr, Oh POCK, I'm in...............pock, pock, pock.......that button !"   SIGH.....  an age fart.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
23 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I learned within the first month here that there are really damaged people here that will downvote a sunny day with happy kittens just to vent their own misery on the world. 

:Smile_veryhappy: Love that turn of phrase. 

24 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

This is the only place on the net that I see where your reactions to a post are anon.

I vaguely recall hearing - whether or not it is true - that NA is the only forum that's anonymous like that, and that the others (specifically EU) let you know who liked you, hated you, wet themselves laughing or went to sleep trying to read what you wrote.

17 minutes ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

A LOT of very good players who shall not be named sit back and do nothing but fishbone kills and ignore objectives. 

But if that's what they do, in what context can they be good players? (Mostly a rhetorical question.)

18 minutes ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

How many times have you seen the HE spammer going on how good he/she did explaining they had 100k+ damage but did NOTHING to help take a point or help out a poor DD trying in vain to do so.

More times than is healthy, sadly. I watched a vid the other day by someone who shall remain nameless (but FYI who is not flamu, flambass, notser, zoup, ichase or anyone else along those Famous and Prominent lines), and at the end of it I thought to myself "Well, I thought you were better than that." All it took was one YouTube vid for them to utterly trash their own reputation in my eyes.

[INTEL]
Members
3,050 posts
16,750 battles
34 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

More times than is healthy, sadly. I watched a vid the other day by someone who shall remain nameless (but FYI who is not flamu, flambass, notser, zoup, ichase or anyone else along those Famous and Prominent lines), and at the end of it I thought to myself "Well, I thought you were better than that." All it took was one YouTube vid for them to utterly trash their own reputation in my eyes.

1 hour ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

I think a LOT of players (random games) wait for other people to win it for them.  A LOT of very good players who shall not be named sit back and do nothing but fishbone kills and ignore objectives.  How many times have you seen the HE spammer going on how good he/she did explaining they had 100k+ damage but did NOTHING to help take a point or help out a poor DD trying in vain to do so.

It's that special captain whose last words in a loss are, "XXX+ damage,  so I did my job."  urrrg